2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, 3 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
KaylaX Offline OP
OP Offline
I have a question for newbie piano players (around 3 months or so, level 1 ), What are you guys working on????

Do you have any current favorite pieces???

I'll start. I am working on "Puff the magic dragon", and I have been messing around with a simplified version of "Sonata Pathique", its a very simplified version, but its fun. I have a couple new books that I got, so I might find some more excitin stuff.

AspenX

BTW I dont mean to exclude anyone, im just curiouse about what others my level are playing.

Yamaha P115 Keyboard
A very old outta tune Baby Grand
A stack of piano music that I cant play !!!
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm just working out of my three books, Alfred All-in-one Book 1, Faber Adult 1, and Bastien Basic Level 1, and a few of the Bastien supplementary books. I like the Classic Favorites and the Christmas Favorites.

My friend has several of those "Level 1" compilations that I have tried - Alfred Adult "Greatest Hits" and "All Time Favorites"; Hal Leonard's "Popular Piano Repertoire"; Bastien's "Favorite Melodies Around the World"; all of these are still somewhat over my head. I could probably manage to work on one song bit by bit until I get it, but I prefer to save the hard work for my lesson books for now, so any supplemental stuff I play is just for my pleasure, and on an easier level. I can't see struggling with everything that I play.

I bought two new books recently - one with Catholic Hymns which is LE and there are only two songs in there that I can come even close to playing. And something called "Famous and Fun for Adults" Book 2 by Alfred - a little too easy, should maybe have gotten book 3. These are popular songs that are very simplified. Book 1 is an EE, Book 2 is supposed to be E but I think it's easier, and Book 3 is a LE. That's the problem with buying these things online, you can only take a peek at one page and it's hard to judge how easy/difficult the music is.

"Puff the Magic Dragon" sounds like fun. Which book is that it? And I have no problem with beginners playing simplified versions of the classics - I've been doing that in the Classics Favorites Primer and Level 1, although I don't work from them as much now that I'm doing the three lesson books.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
Hi, newbie player too. I started teaching myself in March so that's about 4-5 months. This is similar question to the one on the other post. But the lists over there are a bit scary, don't you think ? smile

My main book is The Piano Handbook. I just completed chapter 2. My favorite pieces from this book that I have played is "Morning Hymn." and a couple other songs I forget the name.

I don't stick with only Level-1 songs because I get bored very easily. smile I usually get the pieces I like such as animation sound track or simplified version of other classical pieces like you do. smile Here is my list.

Learning
Waltz of the Flowers (easy version - 3-page long but half of it is repeating.)

Polishing
Song of the Lonely Beetle (The Piano Handbook)
Senpai ni Aitai (Nodame Cantabile - Animation OST)
Kaze mo Sora mo, Kitto (Sailor Moon - Animation OST)
O Christmas Tree

Side Track (which are the songs that are too advance for me but they're my favorite so I can't help peeking.)

Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto no.2, 1st movement (Piano Duet version)
-The accompanying/orchestra part. (I CANNOT play the solo part. NO WAY.) The first couple pages are single-note melody and chords.

Chopin's Piano Concerto no.1, 2nd movement
- The Piano solo part - only the first couple pages.

Venessa Carlton's A Thousand Miles
- I came across tutorial videos on YouTube teaching how to play the other days, so I might give it a try.

Hope you like my list! smile
TinyHands

“Brick walls are there for a reason, they let us prove how badly we want something.“ - Randy Pausch

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
TinyHands, it looks like you are working on some pretty interesting stuff. How easy is the Waltz of the Flowers version you have, and where did you find it?

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
Aspenx, well not very exciting over here, I've strayed away and learned an extra couple pieces, but, for the most part, I stick to learning pieces out of my Alfred's....there were some songs I wasn't crazy about but I made myself work through them as I figure there's a reason they're in the book.....currently I'm up to Greensleeves and Scarborough Fair, and both are nice songs so I'm pretty happy right now. I have a good number of sheet music files saved on my computer that are currently above my skill level but that I'd love to get to eventually. So although I do have other things I could work on, the satisfaction of methodically moving forward and learning new pieces in my Alfred's is very rewarding.

Also I am currently practicing C, D, F, and G major scales as well as A minor. I also have a couple Hanon exercises I work on. I try to do about 15 mins of this warm up before I start on my pieces. I would recommend opening your Alfred's to page 100 and start learning the C major scale. Also it could be beneficial to look at Hanon #1 on page 78.

TinyHands, how do you like the Piano Handbook? I got it when I got my Alfred's, but the Handbook seemed to move pretty quick so I've stuck with Alfred's thus far but have plans to head back to the Handbook. How do you like the song selection, looks like mostly classical? Curious as to how much you're enjoying it.

Zak

Originally posted by mom3gram:
TinyHands, it looks like you are working on some pretty interesting stuff. How easy is the Waltz of the Flowers version you have, and where did you find it?
Hi, mom3gram. I got this piece online. smile Since I am not sure if there is any copyright issue, I can only tell you that I use Google and search for "Waltz of the Flowers, sheet music" and then you should be able to find it right away.

There are many arrangement from grade 3 through grade 5. But don't let that scare you off. I got the version that the right hand plays mostly single notes and I was able to go through both hands on the first page without much trouble. It's repetitive and both hands hit the keys almost at the same time. So I think that makes it a bit easier.

I started with the right and then the left hand like many of us do. I can hear "Waltz of the Flowers" right away, not something else. (You know sometimes I wonder if the song I am playing is really the song I want to play. :p )

The hardest part for me is probably to keep the tempo consistent. But let me know how it works out for you if you decide to try! smile

Originally posted by Muzak:

TinyHands, how do you like the Piano Handbook? I got it when I got my Alfred's, but the Handbook seemed to move pretty quick so I've stuck with Alfred's thus far but have plans to head back to the Handbook. How do you like the song selection, looks like mostly classical? Curious as to how much you're enjoying it.

Hi Muzak,

I really like The Piano Handbook. I love the song selection and the cd very much. It actually inspires me to start playing piano. I got this book even before I got the keyboard. But I do take a break from the book and go with other sheet music once in a while because I can't do classical or traditional songs all the time. ( shocked zzzzz) Funny you point that out.

There are some pieces took me awful long time such as "Morning Hymn" (Track 9). It's a love-hate-relationship piece for me because both hands barely play at the same time. I even went to the next songs in the book and came back to finish it off later. But once I got it, I fall for it. Now it's my warm-up piece. smile

May I ask which exercise you are at ? Have you tried Greensleeves (Track 10) ? The left hand part is pretty straightforward. Hope you like it too. smile

Off for practice now!
TinyHands

“Brick walls are there for a reason, they let us prove how badly we want something.“ - Randy Pausch

D
D
I have been playing about six months, the first three was really a waste as I lacked direction until I started lessons. Working with Alfred's all in one adult course. Currently I am working on 'standing in the need of prayer' I am working harder on this particular one, after listening to this version I sort of decided I had to nail this one down, not that the version I am learning will ever sound this good especially by me frown
standing in need of prayer
I do on occasion venture away from the book and try something different but don't normally spend a whole bunch of time on them

I have been playing for six months, started in Feb. I am working out of JT's first grade book with my teacher. I just finished, "Lightly Row". And am just starting, "Little Spring Song". Also, just learned, the harmonic scale in D. We also are working on, "Prelude in C". We are in the cleaning up phase.

I wanted to learn about music history, so we are also reading parts of a, Western History of Music, book. My teacher also,has started to explain triad chords.

We were also doing "White Houses", by Vanessa Carlton, but I was feeling overwhelmed, with all we were doing, and the amount of time I have to practice each week. Like many/most of you, I work, and don't get home until 7ish. So, trying to do piano, and other things I need to get done.

Tinyhands - That is cool you are working on, "Thousand Miles", by Vanessa Carlton. I LOVE her,she is my fav artist. My biggest inspiration.

Funny how the things you need will find you. The things you want will leave you wanting some more.
Everything that comes along reminds you. You can either rise above or you can hit the floor
KaylaX Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks everyone for your input. There are a llot more newbies out there than I realized. Im glad to know im not alone smile

Keep up the good work everyone!!!!
AspenX

Yamaha P115 Keyboard
A very old outta tune Baby Grand
A stack of piano music that I cant play !!!
Just want to check how everyone is doing. Is your practice coming along alright ?

I have been working on two new songs during the past week aside from polishing the old ones.

Mozart's Twinkle Twinkle Little Stars Variations - (Only some easy variations, of course!)
It's a 3-page long. For this one I am polishing while still deciphering the last page since each lines are quite different. I would forget the whole thing if I wait to do so at the end.

Erik Satie's Gymnopedia No. 1
I've just started this one today. I heard this song so many times in the past and love it. But never knew the name until now. My left arm will move like a robot after playing this song (and with eyes half open.) It is another challenge for me to keep the tempo consistent and to play musically. (Grrrr..it's time for a metronome again.)

This Old Man
My side track....just to make me feel (much) better about practicing. laugh

I sort of put Waltz of the Flowers on hold. whome But I should have time to revisit it a bit this weekend.

Originally posted by Smaybe:
Tinyhands - That is cool you are working on, "Thousand Miles", by Vanessa Carlton. I LOVE her,she is my fav artist. My biggest inspiration.
I haven't started it yet. Only came across it. I decide to nail the other two songs I am learning before I move to a new one. smile

Finally it's Friday! Hope you all have a great weekend (and great practice.)

TinyHands

Besides the Alfred book I’m currently working on

Pachelbel’s Canon (easy version)
Vincent (Starry, starry night Don McLean)
Both work in progress! Vincent is way out of my league, but I’m doing 3 bars each time, so finally at snail's pace I’ll reach the end (hope so…)

the theme of M*A*S*H very nice and almost done, and
Wonderful life (such a nice piece of music, it’s on youTube, originally sung by Mathilde Santing)

I’m off to practise!
Have a nice day
from Chaplin thumb

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I —
I took the 'one less traveled' by,
And that has made all the difference.

"The road not Taken"
Robert Frost (1874-1963)
J
J
I'm working on La Valse d'Amelie by Tiersen right now. Been playing for about a year and loving every second of it smile (or rather, most seconds!)

I really have to be dragged away from the piano physically by force otherwise I play till I am so exhausted that I can't stand up straight.

I am quite ambitious with it. I want perfection and it can't wait till tomorrow... Unfortunately I am less well equipped when it comes to talent (it is a good thing you can't kill someone and take their talent because then I could easily become a murderer from what I hear around here). There is definitely an element of struggle that I hope will become less so with time. But I am never really hard on myself, just a little impatient sometimes.

M
MVB Offline
M
Since I had a change of teachers it's been a bit scattered for me. I had started self-teaching from the Alfred's All-In-One level 1 up to "Little Brown Jug" and then went on to private lessons. My first teacher determined that the Alfred's book was too easy and got me started on Burgmuller but only got as far as the second piece "Arabesque." He also had me practicing scales and a couple of Hannon pieces. My second teacher assigned "Spanish Dance" from the "Sounds of Spain level 1," "Innocence" from the Burgmuller book and a practice piece from Czerny intended to help with "Innocence." Still practicing "Arabesque" - I had trouble playing melody with the left but have improved. Altogether with self-teaching it's been since last Christmas. Private lessons started approximately 2 months ago so I guess I can call it seven months. I just want to say that lessons are making all the difference in the world!

MVB
Hi

Started playing about 4 months ago.

Am currently working on the following:

Scales:
A, C, D, F and G Major
A and D minor
Hands together, two octaves.

Pieces:
Ode to Joy
Uptown Girl
Do-Re-Mi
Fur Elise
Santa Lucia (Currently working on)
Moonlight Sonata (Currently working on)

Mark

B
B
working on

a chopin piece

and just finishing a brahm waltz

J
J
I'm making good progress on Bach's Invention No. 1. This "simple" piece teaches you a lot about everything: fingering, two-hand coordination, composition, rhythm.

Next up, once No. 1 is mastered, will be No. 13. Can't wait!

When not working on No. 1, I have fun playing "Gypsy Earrings" from Alfred's Group Piano for Adults. On my Roland 207 I can play with the accompaniment-only track, which makes you feel you're performing live with an orchestra -- lots of fun and also forces you to maintain tempo!

I'm also learning Mozart's wonderful and very funny "Little Funeral March" (written for "Del Signor Maestro Contrapunto"). A great example of humor in music! You'll giggle while you play this! What a card Wolfgang must have been!

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission