2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, 11 invisible), 1,801 guests, and 296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1101856 12/14/08 05:17 PM
OP Offline
Hello everyone!

I am so glad I found this forum. I have been reading and researching posts for the last week and finally registered.

I am taking my first piano lesson tomorrow! I am 40yrs with no prior piano (or any other musical instrument) experience. I have always had an interest in learning to play the piano and finally have the time to make it happen. I had a nice phone conversation with my teacher, and she also seemed excited to have an adult student starting from a completely clean slate.

I have Alfred’s all-in-one adult book and my teacher mentioned something about Thompson’s books. I have a Casio keyboard for practice and I will invest in a nice DP if things go well. Not sure what to expect tomorrow but really looking forward to it.

Just wanted to introduce myself, and I will report back after my first lesson.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Welcome to the forum, gunslinger, and to the wonderful world of piano. smile

Please let us know how your first lesson went. The most important advice I have is to be patient... it will take a while before you start making what sounds like "real" piano music, but you *will* get there with steady, deliberate practice.

F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
Gunslinger

You sound like me about 18 mos ago - however I am a lot older than you!

I hope you love it as much as I do. My advice - practice as much as you can, and you will be rewarded and may be amazed at your progress.

Practice every day. I try to practice for 2 hrs per day - not at one sitting, but in 20-40 minute "chunks".

Have fun with it. You won't ever regret taking this first big step.

Amateur Pianist and raconteur.
Hey there gunslinger.

I am also an adult beginner. Started a year ago at 42yrs old, never played before. You have found a great support group in this forum. Welcome, and post and let us know how your lesson went. Slow and steady wins the race on this new and glorious path we are walking!

Diane

The most frustrating and exhilarating thing I have ever tried to do
Hello gunslinger

I have my first lesson next Sunday and I am much older than you and very nervous.

Hello gunslinger

I have my first lesson next Sunday and I am much older than you and very nervous.

L
ll Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Doesn't everyone "[begin] from scratch"? :rolleyes:

laugh

Don't let it discourage you. I'll quote myself here: "If you want to play like a 13 year old who began when they were 3, practice and play for 10 years." It really is as simple as that. As long as you are doing this for yourself, you'll enjoy it.

II. As in, second best.
Only lowercase. So not even that.
I teach piano and violin.
BM, Violin & Percussion Performance 2009, Piano Pedagogy 2011.
Welcome Gunslinger,
Welcome to the forum. You will find plenty of support here. If you need something...Just ask.

Good Luck, with your first lesson.

[Linked Image]

You can own a Chickering, Christifori, or Steinway, but if you can't play it.... It is just a piece of eye candy.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Gunslinger,
Welcome.
Let us know how your first lesson goes.

“The doubters said, "Man cannot fly," The doers said, "Maybe, but we'll try,"
And finally soared in the morning glow while non-believers watched from below.”
― Bruce Lee
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hello and welcome thumb

As others have said and pointed out, it's never to late to begin. I myself began (officially) 5.5ths ago (mid June) and have not looked back since. Let us know how your lesson goes but for me it's been about structure. I had got the Alfred books for Xmas last year but sat on them for 6mths before I did anything [Linked Image]

Then I found a (local) teacher who's absolutely great. In a short time I've gone through book #1, and I am approx 1/2 way through book #2. Loving every min and getting better each day. There is also a MOYD (Master of Your Domain) thread inside these Adult Beginner Forums where you're able to track your daily practice which REALLY helps to move along your playing.

I generally try to get between 1-3hrs of practice in per day (in stints of course) and more at weekends. It's helped me move from where I began to a happy place. I know I've got so much more to learn and I am very much looking forward to it.

Right now I'm very much like Neo in the first Matrix (for any movie buffs) when he's getting his training and the operator downloads Kung Fu to his brain. "Hey Mikey I think he likes it" kind of thing. My brain at the moment feels SO alive and is very grateful for the information it's being fed..

thumb

"...I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING it!..."
[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
OP Offline
Had my first piano lesson tonight! Feels good to get the first one out of the way.

My teacher prefers the Thompson series of books over Alfred's so that is what we started with. Did a little out of my Alfred's book towards the end of the lesson.

My impressions: I felt pretty drained when we were done. I never expected to do so much playing during my first lesson! I am using the term “playing” very loosely.
I felt so uncoordinated while playing, but I kept surprising myself by hitting the correct keys. Maybe it was just beginners luck.
I was surprised how fast we were moving through the Thompson book. I thought things would be a lot slower, but I guess that's what practice is for. This week I am going to practice everything we went over, until I am more comfortable with it.
The time (1 hour) flew by during the lesson and we even went over.

I enjoyed it so much that I prepaid my next 6 lesson, so I am covered until the end of January.

Thanks for all of the kind words!

hey....gunslinger.

That is all AWESOME news!

It certainly sounds like you have a roadmap to success for your piano journey. I can only imagine that your next 6 lessons will go by just as fast. Congratulations!

[Linked Image]

You can own a Chickering, Christifori, or Steinway, but if you can't play it.... It is just a piece of eye candy.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission