2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
25 members (brennbaer, AlkansBookcase, cmoody31, dh371, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, crab89, 6 invisible), 1,222 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Eins Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I keep reading these terms but don't know what they are. I suspect they show the chords by root instead of staff notation? Or what is it?

Thanks

One of the funny things about the stock market is that every time one person buys, another sells, and both think they are astute.
-William Feather
M
M
"fake music": a term to describe any noise coming from a piano that Mark plays - according to his wife.

Or, music with a single melody line and chords noted above the staff (just like those cute little guitar chord fingerings).

Mark

New sig line in the works....
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
A lead sheet is the melody line from a tune with the chords annotated at the proper places in the tune. ie G7, C13, Dmin7, etc. A fakebook is merely a collection of lead sheets.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I forgot to add that the reason they call them fakebooks is that the artist is "faking" a full arangement from the lead sheet. You'll see other publications called "real books" - they're exactly the same as the fakebooks.

There isn't really anything fake about fakebooks though. When a composer comes up with a pop tune, they usually come up with a lead sheet type of arrangement first. They'll play the melody and mark the chords that they like for the different notes. It's only later that they may write a full arrangement for a band, orchestra, or solo instrument. So really, with a fakebook, you're getting back to the roots of the tune.

You can find fakebooks and real books in any music store and most book stores. Some of them have over a thousand pieces in them!

Eins Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Now that I know, I can say one thing for sure: I can read lead sheets much better than real music.

I understand now why established musicians have some sort of guilt feelings when they play off a lead sheet: others might think they can't read full music. That's me, though laugh

Thanks all for the information.

One of the funny things about the stock market is that every time one person buys, another sells, and both think they are astute.
-William Feather
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Eins:

I understand now why established musicians have some sort of guilt feelings when they play off a lead sheet: others might think they can't read full music.
Personally, I am much more impressed with someone doing a great arrangement from a lead sheet moreso than someone reading an arrangement note for note. This demonstrates that the musician knows something about harmony and most of the music is actually his.

Haywood
-------------
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
**deleted post**

Paul Buchanan
Estonia L168 #1718
K
K
this is a great way to learn your way around chord voicings.

spent the first few weeks of playing piano working out of beatles fake books that I've had laying around.

my teacher gives one tune each week to take off charts, and work a chord/melody arrangement out for it.

it defintely gives you some leeway in how you voice chords, and experiement.

good stuff.

Gah!!! I've been playing fake music all my life!!! Why didnt anyone tell me? smile

Seriously, I don't think anybody has to be embarrased (sp?)or be guilty about playing from lead sheets or fakebooks, in fact, in the professional world of jazz and pop playing if you can't play from a fakebook and do your own arrangements, you aren't considered a very good musician. As they say, you won't get the gig.

When I listen to a piano player, I listen to how good they sound. I rarely admire them because of how well they read the sheet music, although thats a good skill to have to smile

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission