2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, 4 invisible), 1,894 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Originally posted by CC2 and Chopin lover:
Initially I was not concerned with the fact that he closed the thread as much as I was the WAY it was done. However, in reading Frank's guidelines for what should warrant closing one, it is apparent that mine, and several others mentioned in this thread, did not meet any of the listed criteria. Therefore, it was a an abuse of his authority to take it upon himself to close it.
In fairness to Kreisler, though, we only know of his action in the particular case of CC2's thread with the YouTube link. He's not the only moderator, and we don't know who locked thread about ratings because there was no final message. The thread that Kymber mentioned was here in ABF, which isn't Kreisler's domain at all.

I'm very surprised that he has PMs turned off, which means the only way of reaching him is through Brendan, the other moderator in the Pianist Corner, or by using the "Report Post" link.

Steven

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
In Kreisler's defence, he may have been abrupt, but he was following what I believe are expectations about threads in the Pianists Corner Forum. Here are two of the things I've noticed from threads in the PC:

- Member recordings are strongly encouraged to be posted in the Member Recordings Forum. Often recordings are moved here by the moderators.

- Threads that are opened solely for the purpose of pointing out a single YouTube video are discouraged. There have been threads aimed at collections of YouTube Videos that are generally the more acceptable place to put this type of a post.

I haven't read enough threads on the PC to know for sure, but I suspect that there is some history to this that we do not know.

I think the best bet is to just let this go. As Obi-Wan would say: "These aren't the droids you're looking for, You can go about your business, Move along" laugh

Rich

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I can understand that considering the subject matter (an emotional video about human achievement), the response can seem rather cold/heartless and uncalled for. And it's true that it's not technically part of the moderator guidelines.

But, I guess I just don't feel outraged by this. Probably because I use a lot of web forums and this is basically par for the course (repeated threads). After a certain topic is repeated a lot the moderators will feel it is redundant and close it if it happens again.

It will feel harsh to the user because obviously the user doesn't know it's been posted and discussed, for the user it's a new experience, but the moderator is coming from a different perspective, having seen the same discussion played out quite a few times.

Also, the Pianist Corner moderators don't appear too fond of posts dedicated to single links or videos and prefer discussion threads. I noticed that quite a few video threads were locked in the past and there used to be a catch-all thread for any youtube videos to remove them from general posting, but that sticky post has disappeared for some reason.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Theowne- Piano Videos (Ravel, Debussy, etc) & Original Compositions
音楽は楽しいですね。。。
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Theowne, we were posting at the same time about the same thing. wink

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by DragonPianoPlayer:
. - Threads that are opened solely for the purpose of pointing out a single YouTube video are discouraged. There have been threads aimed at collections of YouTube Videos that are generally the more acceptable place to put this type of a post.
Then why not moving it to the appropriate thread as I have seen in many other forums? If not, the closing thread comment could specify there's an appropriate area where to re-post the thread or the single post.

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
Originally posted by Andromaque:
I don't know the moderator, Kreisler, but I have read many of his responses in the past few months, and I find him to be considerate and serious. I can see how you would be somewhat offended at the brusqueness of his response but this being cyberspace and therefore difficult to "read" emotionally, I would suggest that this was not a personal offense and you might consider letting it slide.
Well said, Andromaque. I have a very high respect for Kreisler, and I feel his contributions in the PC are always perceptive, insightful, supportive, and very knowledgeable. He's a spiffy chap.

For a while I was moderator on a forum devoted to a young pop musician -that forum is anyway now defunct- but I can tell you that being a moderator is not as glamorous as one might think. It takes patience and time, the latter of which I could have spent with other endeavors.

I seldom contribute to ABF, but I have noticed that CC2 and Chopin lover can be decidedly thin skinned -we tangled once, and I've since read a few of his more hot headed responses (to btb for example) in other threads on ABF- so that might be taken into consideration here.

Jason
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
CC2 generally provides good info in PF, so he's got that going for him. I have seen what you mention, though, and my impression was that CC2 gave as good as he got in most cases.

I also have found Kreisler to be an upstanding member and moderator. That's why this episode puzzles me.

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
Agerichfan stated:
I seldom contribute to ABF, but I have noticed that CC2 and Chopin lover can be decidedly thin skinned -we tangled once, and I've since read a few of his more hot headed responses (to btb for example) in other threads on ABF- so that might be taken into consideration here

I would proffer another take on your assessment of the depth of my epitheleum AF. Perhaps it's just that I don't mind confronting those that do or say outrageous or nonsensical things on here. For instance, several people have just posted that I should move on and let this whole issue go, because, after all, Kreisler is a stalwart citizen of this forum. That's all well and good, but it still does not excuse his approach to this particular situation and the way he chose to handle it. Where, in Frank's rules for moderators, does it state that they should handle other forum members with undeserved rudeness and abruptness, and close threads that have not met the stated criteria of inappropriateness or vulgarity? I think your previous encounter with me may be clouding your objectivity, so I can understand why you'd be inclined to take an opposing stance. I was attempting to post, and spur discussion, about a very inspiring and heart warming video that displays the remarkable achievements that handicapped individuals are capable of. I happen to work in Medicine and Physical Rehabilitation, and this video was definitely piano related and appropriate for that particular forum. I had no way of knowing that it had been posted in the past. We would not be having this conversation right now had Kreisler just moved the thread to another location or politely explained that it had been posted five times in the past. Internet or not, it is very clear that he did not handle it that way. I disagree that I am being thin skinned about this. I suspect that, had it been you or anyone else here that had received a similar response, you would have taken offense as well.

Piano Technician/Tuner
[Linked Image]

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
What is the procedure in this forum for complaints of this kind? I understand that there is a team of moderators, since there is also a moderator forum, and there is a site owner (Frank) who has a particular atmosphere, purpose, and criteria in mind. Usually any of these people are contacted in private, and public discussion happens as a last resort.

One thing I haven't been certain about in PW is the question of moderators. Where I moderate the ways to contact the moderator is clearly displayed in each forum. I find that harder to find here.

One thing to keep in mind is that moderating is a volunteer position with no rewards attached, and the behind the scenes activities can be enormous and ultimately tiring. Merely scanning the threads on a daily basis, every day, can be a chore. When you're out of time because of life's commitments you will tend to take swift action and perhaps be short on words.

L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
Be careful Kathleen, you don't want to be accused of being "thin skinned" by some of Kreisler's advocates.

Piano Technician/Tuner
L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I understand how some of you might be frustrated, but the only thing I'll say about this situation is this : publically complaining about a moderator on a different forum is bad form. frown

Started playing in mid-June 2007. Self-taught... for now. :p
C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
publically complaining about a moderator on a different forum is bad form.

I'll respond to this as follows:

I attempted to address this directly with Kreisler immediately after this occurred, but he has turned off the ability to PM him, for some reason. Regarding addressing this on another forum, that is the only way I knew to keep him from closing this thread as well.

Let me give you a much better example of bad form:

This has been posted here at least 5 times. Closed...

Piano Technician/Tuner
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Not one to often state my views publicly, I have to agree with CC2...it should have been handled better. Kreisler stepped up and volunteered to be a moderator and with that comes SOME RESPONSABILITY to the forum members. regardless of how he feels that day, if his schedule was tight and didn't have time to respond appropriately...none of that was of CC2's concern or fault, he SIMPLY was posting something of interest.

jm $0.02

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta area
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Originally posted by keystring:
What is the procedure in this forum for complaints of this kind?
Click on the "report post" icon (looks like a blowing whistle). This will send a notification containing your question/complaint/comment to all moderators of the forum in question and to Frank.

Greg
Thanks, Greg. Well, I don't have to ask the next question - whether mods are aware of this situation here, because I see "moderator" under your name.

One more thing about the "whistle" - It will go to the mod of the forum in question and no other forum, but to Frank as well? That seems to be an efficient system.

This would also mean that CC is able to contact Kreisler after all, even if his PM is disabled - via the whistle. Am I right?

S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Early this morning, a new thread was started in Pianist Corner called Revolutionary feat .

Somehow, I just knew from the title that it was going to be about Cameron Carpenter playing Chopin's "Revolutionary" etude on the organ with his feet—and I was right!

I've seen this posted before, but a half-dozen others (so far) apparently had not. I wonder if it will be locked or moved.

Steven

C
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
C
I went to that "whistle" icon and expressed my dissatisfaction with the way it was handled. I await a response.

Piano Technician/Tuner
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission