2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, 16 invisible), 2,121 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Do you, (or your teacher) set goals for your playing?

This could be, "I am going to finish Alfred's book #1 by such and such a time".

Or, without the time-line, "I am going to finish Alfred's book #1."

The reason I ask is because goals are a proven strategy to achieve results. If a student is in school, there are built-in time-line goals via the semester, etc.

And many piano teachers use the yearly recital as a goal for finishing a piece.

However, the flip side has several points:

First, beginning students do not know how long it will take, as they are brand new, so setting a time-line goal can be just a guess.

Second, many adult students are studying piano for pleasure, with no performance expectations. So a time-line goal could be seen as the opposite of pleasure.

I have noticed that if there is no time-line goal for learning a piece, the learning of that piece seems to go slower than if I say, "How do you feel about having this piece finished by next lesson?"

Yet with other students, that would seem an intrusion into the pleasure aspect of learning.

Any thoughts, pro or con? Thanks in advance.

Blues and Boogie-Woogie piano teacher.
I used to set goals. Now I'm looking for a good fantasy. Seriously though, I used to be a big goal setter. And setting goals can get you where you want to go.

My problem has always been differentiating between ego goals and goals I really want to have.

------------------------------
Play New Age Piano
http://www.quiescencemusic.com

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
My goal is to play La Campanella before I die. laugh

Jeff
[Linked Image]
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Yes. Joining an adult amateur piano club, where people gather and play each month, has given me 'performance opportunities' that let me set both short and long-term goals.

ie - I want to play those 2 Bach pieces at next month's piano club...and...let's plan on the Beethoven for 2 months after that.

Because my goal is to play each piece memorized and what my teacher and I consider to be performance ready, I don't try to play something for every month.

Adult Amateur Pianist

My only domestic quality is that I live in a house.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
I don't really set goals beyond the vague and long-term ones I'll list in a "piano new year's resolutions" thread (e.g., learn 6 new Einaudi pieces this year; record an annual CD; etc.). It's not like I need specific goals to motivate me to play, and because this is my hobby I'd rather just go with the flow and do/play whatever moves me at the moment.

Okay, so I'm coming across like a slacker, but that's okay by me. laugh I'm also not taking lessons. I think if I were, then setting more specific and short-term goals would be reasonable and helpful, if not essential.

M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
I set goals. I hope to close out Alfred book 3 during this next year. Have all my major and minor scales down cold with all the cords and inversions in them and get close to finishing all Hanon 60.

And stay on the MOYD list... laugh

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Rocket88
I think there are good points to each approach.
Since I have been with my new teacher I am founding my weekly goals very helpful. She will give me specific things to work on and that makes practicing easier. However, I don't have goals other than that. For examply I am not saying I will be at x level by x time b/c some things I think your can't really put a time line on.

The carefree feeling of going at ones own pace without any assigned deadline can be nice too.

Before I had my teacher, I was very good at organizing my practice time, but I had a very hard time following it. I don't know why it's different with the teacher.

Maybe a good combination of the two is the way to go.
smile

“The doubters said, "Man cannot fly," The doers said, "Maybe, but we'll try,"
And finally soared in the morning glow while non-believers watched from below.”
― Bruce Lee
Interesting comments, Rocket88.

As a “just for pure fun/pleasure” adult learner, I will chose a tune/piece/song I like and start working on it. Any progress (although in bits and pieces) is rewarding and as the tune sounds better to me I tend to practice it more.

For example, I’m working on Carl Perkins’ “Blue Suede Shoes” and Sam Cook’s “Wonderful world” now. When I start playing “Blue Suede Shoes” I get so excited that all I can do is grin. I’m suddenly in another world and my problems are as distant as the east is from the west; talk about a stress reliever smile . I plan on recording the two tunes and uploading them on to YouTube within a couple of weeks or so.

I’ll have to tune my piano first because I’ve knocked it out of tune practicing “Blue Suede Shoes”. I can’t seem to get away from the bluesy, rock-n-roll/rock-a-billy tunes of the 1950’s and 60’s. For one, I like the music and secondly, it is not as difficult to play as other types of piano music. Not that I’m looking for the easy way out, but those chops do get your foot to tapping. laugh

Take care,

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
I think it depends on the person. Because of my background in classical piano I come with some preconceived notions of the "right" way to do things wink (for myself, not to be used in judging others). And that involves expectations, goals and deadlines (which, by necessity, are flexible...not drop-dead deadlines...and without any real penalties for failing to meet them)

Also, without deadlines to go along with the goals (and the help of my teacher) I would dink around not accomplishing much of anything.

Adult Amateur Pianist

My only domestic quality is that I live in a house.

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Jan 11 2012
1000 Post Club Member
I tend to feel that, as an adult, I should have some input into what my goals are, as well as the freedom to update the timeline for reaching them to reflect what's going on in my life. I appreciate a teacher assigning pieces to work on particular technical issues, but I also want to choose some of what I learn as well. And while I could see having a teacher suggest a goal for the next week, I would like to retain the autonomy to decide during the week whether that's a realistic goal given the other realities of my life.

I guess that what I'd ask of the teacher/student goal setting relationship is an expectation that I'd do my best over the next week given the limitations of my life, and that the teacher accept that I'm making a good faith effort in spite of obstacles or competing priorities. For me, that would involve health issues, particularly with my medications and how adversely they can affect my concentration, but for a different adult it could be family and/or work commitments and crises, etc.

I think that what's important for me is to set goals, but retain the flexibility to accept the realities of my other competing and conflicting life issues, so that I don't end up suffering under some burdensome sense of urgency or failure if I'm prevented from reaching my goals. Because learning to play music is something that I'm doing to bring pleasure and enrichment into my life, and the goal is definitely not to add another stressor to my life.

OTOH there are people (I used to be one of them) who need a sense of urgency and impending doom just to motivate themselves to get get going at all. But I can't live that way anymore... and fortunately, as I've matured, I've gotten much better at motivating myself without stressing myself out.

Please step aside. You're standing in your own way.
O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
My first goal is to finish the Alfred Book 3 before the summer recess. Next fall I hope to gain access to my teacher's private material that he uses on his eight-year-olds. Then I want to do some stride piano, and finally go back to learning some "cocktail piano" whatever that is. But it's a race against time. In the meantime, it is great fun, the best retirement project I could ever have gotten involved in.

Mark, not that I need any more goals, but what is the MOYD list?

Aspiring Retirement Home Lounge Pianist
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Monica K.:
I don't really set goals beyond the vague and long-term ones I'll list in a "piano new year's resolutions" thread (e.g., learn 6 new Einaudi pieces this year; record an annual CD; etc.). It's not like I need specific goals to motivate me to play, and because this is my hobby I'd rather just go with the flow and do/play whatever moves me at the moment.

Okay, so I'm coming across like a slacker, but that's okay by me. laugh I'm also not taking lessons. I think if I were, then setting more specific and short-term goals would be reasonable and helpful, if not essential.
Monica, I wish all my students were "slackers" like you!
"...learn 6 new Einaudi pieces this year; record an annual CD;"

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by tangleweeds:
I tend to feel that, as an adult, I should have some input into what my goals are, as well as the freedom to update the timeline for reaching them to reflect what's going on in my life. I appreciate a teacher assigning pieces to work on particular technical issues, but I also want to choose some of what I learn as well. And while I could see having a teacher suggest a goal for the next week, I would like to retain the autonomy to decide during the week whether that's a realistic goal given the other realities of my life.

I guess that what I'd ask of the teacher/student goal setting relationship is an expectation that I'd do my best over the next week given the limitations of my life, and that the teacher accept that I'm making a good faith effort in spite of obstacles or competing priorities. For me, that would involve health issues, particularly with my medications and how adversely they can affect my concentration, but for a different adult it could be family and/or work commitments and crises, etc.

I think that what's important for me is to set goals, but retain the flexibility to accept the realities of my other competing and conflicting life issues, so that I don't end up suffering under some burdensome sense of urgency or failure if I'm prevented from reaching my goals. Because learning to play music is something that I'm doing to bring pleasure and enrichment into my life, and the goal is definitely not to add another stressor to my life.

OTOH there are people (I used to be one of them) who need a sense of urgency and impending doom just to motivate themselves to get get going at all. But I can't live that way anymore... and fortunately, as I've matured, I've gotten much better at motivating myself without stressing myself out.
Thank you for your insightful reply...I think you have struck the balance I am looking for.

I began this thread because I am trying to find a balance between being too strict with my adult students who are just studying piano for pleasure, compared with those who need the motivation that a goal can provide.

What I've found is that even those who are in it for pleasure seem to actually want a goal...its like they need it, and feel somewhat adrift without it.

I really appreciate all the input this thread has generated.

I talk with my instructor every 4 months about goals in the technique area. He lets me choose my pieces (with some gentle guidance), but I let him set the scales, drills and theory goals. I figure he knows what is best and what order to work on them in. It has been 5+ years and so far so good.

A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz. ~Humphrey Bogart
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

What I've found is that even those who are in it for pleasure seem to actually want a goal...its like they need it, and feel somewhat adrift without it.
I agree with that. Even though I will swear up and down I hate schedules and structure and I want to be free of them, I sought out a teacher b/c I NEEDED it.

“The doubters said, "Man cannot fly," The doers said, "Maybe, but we'll try,"
And finally soared in the morning glow while non-believers watched from below.”
― Bruce Lee
K
K
Rocket88

What sort of goal should a newbie attempt to set?

I think you've seen my posts....I have the PX120 set up and have Alfred's Level 1....

Not sure what a realistic goal would be....

Looking for thoughts on that...

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I set goals. They almost always include a recording of some sort.
Recording myself is the best tool I have found for that:
- It forces me to complete the task
- I end up with a recording, which I usually like
- I can come back to it a year later and compare the difference.

I don't set time lines. The goal is used as a focus point. Since I set small achievable goals, it usually gets completed.

M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by OldFingers:
Mark, not that I need any more goals, but what is the MOYD list?
MOYD LIST

Originally posted by Opus45:
My goal is to play La Campanella before I die. laugh
Me toooooooo.

M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by Larisa:
Originally posted by Opus45:
[b] My goal is to play La Campanella before I die. laugh
Me toooooooo. [/b]
wow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEnf...DC037BDB0B9B0&index=0&playnext=1

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission