2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
52 members (Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 5 invisible), 1,283 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Stellabella, since returning to the piano a year or so ago, I have discovered the importance and the benefits of memorization which I simply hadn't appreciated in the past. One thing for sure about it - and you said this - it is Hard - especially if it isn't something you've tried before and if you aren't one of those lucky folks who somehow just end up memorizing as a side effect of learning a piece. I am definitely not so lucky so I have to make a point of memorizing. The trick, for me at least, seems to be to memorize the piece while I am learning it, not after I have learned it, because there is little incentive to start memorizing after you can play from the score. If you memorize while you are learning the piece though, the process really takes no longer and, when you've learned to play the music, you also have it memorized. Easy as it sounds, it requires a lot of discipline (for me at least) to do this and not just fall back into playing from the score. Learn one bar at a time, hands separate, then together, and slowly work through the piece. Play it back in your head when you are not at the piano. This seems to commit the memory to a higher level, above simple muscle memory which is necessary but not sufficient.

The real payback for doing this is the joy of being able to just sit down and play, something I just couldn't do before. For some reason, as well, once the music is memorized, it is much easier to focus on the interpretation - really being musical - than when playing from the score.

Buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it.
Will Rogers

[Linked Image]
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by NancyM333:
I am always trying to find "holes" in my memory work so they don't surprise me when I'm under duress playing. If I can play something at close to 100% accuracy in my house at my piano with no one around, it's like that it's at 85-90% when I'm recording myself, 80-85% when I play for my teacher on her piano, 70% on her piano in front of others, and 60% on a strange piano in front of others. So I have to try to simulate those 60% situations when I practice so I know where I'll break down, and it's hard to do.
Well said!

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
yes, i do. but when you work on a piece long enough, it will be memorized anyway even if you don't even try.

my teacher however tells me that i don't have to memorize a piece, as long as i could play from music in front of me. but to me, it's not the question of 'don't have to' but 'must', because to reach a decent tempo and play fluently requires me to memorize music, or else i have no chance of playing anything well.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
this morning my adult kids said "play Colors of the Wind" from Pocohantas, then asked me to play some Aladdin and some Little Mermaid and some Lion King.

I have no idea where the books are since I just moved 2300 miles but it's nice to be able to have them logged away.

I remember the melodies and the basic chords and then feel them out if the memories are foggy.

Full-Time Music/Entrepreneurship Major: (Why not compose music AND businesses?)
Former Piano Industry Professional
Steinway M
Roland Atelier AT90R
All Posts are Snarky Unless Otherwise Noted
L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
I agree that after learning/playing a piece for weeks and even months (depending on the difficulty), your brain seems to absorb the notes and sends them to your fingers. Gosh, what a scientific explanation, this that.

I have to memorize (or try to) pieces that have a fast tempo or tricky spots. However, I don't find it necessary if the piece is slow...as in the E minor Chopin prelude.

But, the big thing is this: You can't always count on your memory. Blackouts (even for a nanosecond) can happen. So, it helps if you are a good improviser, so you can get yourself back on track.

Kathleen

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
OP Offline
To all,
thanks for all your replies. I was going to not even bother memorizing because it wasn't much fun but now i understand the value and importance of it. I will try to use some of your techniques and see what happens.
A special thanks to EJR for recommending Fundamentals Piano Practice by Chang. I printed out the entire book and am finding the book very helpful! It is going to change my piano playing experience. I just wish I were bit younger I am middle aged....) so I can benefit more but hey, it is never too late!
Thanks again to you all.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
My teacher has me learning the patterns 1,5,3.. to get you started. Once I start, the song kinda just flows along...there's always that one spot where you get hung up. I just go back to learning the pattern/spacing and jot it down on the music. This helps with both hands. He also stressess to know what key it's in and who composed it. It seems to cement it in my mind a little firmer.

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta area
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
OP Offline
Monster M & H,
sorry but what do you mean by patterns, 1,5,3? i am not well versed in this so if you can explain, i would appreciate it!
thanks

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by stellabella:
Monster M & H,
sorry but what do you mean by patterns, 1,5,3? i am not well versed in this so if you can explain, i would appreciate it!
thanks
In the key of “C”…“C, D, E, F, G, A, B, C are 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. A common pop song chord pattern is 1, 4, 5 -- C, F, G. The pattern of 1, 4, 5 will work in what ever key you want to play in… example in the key of “F” would be F, Bb, C (1, 4, 5). A 16 bar song consists of chord structures(intervals), example of 1, 4, 5 (4 bars of F, 4 bars Bb, 2 bars F, 2 bars C, 4 bars F) -- hope that’s right -- for the right hand I try to remember number combos for the difficult sections and let the easy ones just kinda flow off your fingers, ya know like when your pickin out a song, along with muscle memory… it just feels right.

You’ll find lots of this stuff over in the non-classical forum, our friend Bob Muir has posted in some threads on this … do a search

Hope that’s not to confusing

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta area
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
No, but I strive to learn how to play by sight.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I'm basically the opposite: My sight reading is so bad, and I've memorized naturally from an early age (other instruments) I've kind've formulated my own way of "learning" the piece. I work on 4 measures a day (working on a Haydn sonata with a teacher now) and repeat, repeat, repeat. I try to work out the technical difficulties of the 4 measures, and perfect the different voicing, phrasing problems there are. The next day I learn four more measures in the same manner. Looking at the score again only supplements my memory, by very little, but it gives a needed boost at times. I may increase my rate, along with my practice hours, to 8 measures a day soon, but 4 measures is comfortable and does not put me in too much distress.

To push my reading ability, I should probably try to work on 12-16 measures a day in order to work with things that aren't fully memorized, thus forcing me to read.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission