2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
72 members (bcalvanese, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, 14 invisible), 2,076 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 23 of 24 1 2 21 22 23 24
L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
wow ...what is happening here? confused I went to bed early last night, and I wake up to find that an Etude "Recital" might be in the works. eek

As Greg mentioned, I am not ready to take on even the easiest (ha). And where is the Marzurka Marathon in all of this? Mazurkas are within the reach of most of us; whereas the etudes (in my opinion) are for the "elite" of us. Those who have the technical skills...this is what I mean by "the elite."

Just a suggestion, naturally...but if someone wants to take the reins of a Etude Recital, that's wonderful. However, I believe something like this belongs in the Pianists' Corner. And I hope would be scheduled at least 3 months from the Mazurka Marathon. I have a fear that we are going to over-saturate "the market", and, as a result, all the recitals will lose their appeal and specialness, for lack of a better word.

I am in awe of anyone who can play an etude (any of them!!), so I am not being a negative Nelly here. Just asking that we give some thought to how, when and where such a recital takes place.

My best to all of you...[green with envy]
Kathleen

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I agree with you, Kathleen. The Mazurkas are of different technical levels, and a Mazurka Marathon can be a recital with both new and not so new pianist.
Even if they are not grade 10, I would like to hear someone admit that they think they are piece of cake to interpret.....

I guess I'm just envious too, since I never will be able to play an Etude, but seems to me that an Etude recital belongs in Pianist Corner - the term "Beginner" and Chopin Etude does not go together in my head.....

Ragnhild

Trying to play the piano:
http://www.box.net/public/dbr23ll03e
L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
Nor mine, Ragnhild.

Kathleen

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Along these lines, I think that people of our collective level can really contribute valid interpretations of the mazurkas (as we did for the preludes) but perhaps not for the etudes.

And are we forgetting the waltzes? wink

Recovering cellist, amateur pianist.
[Linked Image]

Check out my blog !

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
And are we forgetting the waltzes?
And the Nocturnes?

http://www.youtube.com/user/Theowne- Piano Videos (Ravel, Debussy, etc) & Original Compositions
音楽は楽しいですね。。。
L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
No way would I forget about either...the nocturnes or the waltzes. I thought, perhaps, the nocturnes next and then the waltzes. But this isn't written in stone.

We could take a vote. Would that mean then that we would be having a recital every 3 months to cover all viable genre before...the turn of the century??

Kathleen

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I think three every three months is too short a time frame for good preparation and we should stick to October and March recitals as originally intended. Chopin thoughtfully died six months after his birthday, it's the least we can do. If an etude recital is too "exclusive" perhaps one could be scheduled as a "double feature" with next October's Mazurka Marathon.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I do agree with those who feel that the words "Chopin Etude" and "Adult Beginner" do not belong in the same sentence. In fact, according to Carl Mikuli (Chopin's teaching assistant) speaking of the Master's pedagogical style: "Only far-advanced pupils were given his Etudes, Op. 10 and Op. 25." The Nocturnes and Waltzes are a lot more accessible and would encourage the involvement of many more adult beginners. We could have, say, a Night of Nocturnes. laugh

"Playing the piano is my greatest joy...period."......JP
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
a Night of Nocturnes.
Wow...I like that.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Theowne- Piano Videos (Ravel, Debussy, etc) & Original Compositions
音楽は楽しいですね。。。
L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
I agree that 3 months is not enough time...it was only something I threw out there, and I'm glad you threw it back at me.

Boy, when I think back many months ago and how we wanted our own Chopin Forum. Well, we got it, in spades! And we're all over the place now. So much so I can't keep track.

Anyhow, the etudes belong to the elite. So for us, it's the mazurkas first, then the nocturnes/or waltzes to follow in 6 month intervals. I like the Night of Nocturnes (a bit redundant, since nocturne does sort of mean might, but that's OK. It has a most romantic ring to it.) What about the waltzes? Wonderful World of Waltzes. Nah...sounds too much like a Disney production.

Kathleen

gerg Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I feel quite ill at ease with the segregational overtones as engendered in terms like "elite." Anyone could learn an etude given sufficient applied effort.

That said, maybe the Etude idea is not such a great one. The Preludes pushed us. We bent but didn't break. Etudes might just break us...

If the Pianist's Corner bunch were more fun and less serious, we might post such an idea there.

http://www.ecital.net
Wikicital: A collaborative effort to build a knowledgebase of classical music history combined with examples. Your chance to both perform and write...

Don't click here!
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by gerg:
I feel quite ill at ease with the segregational overtones as engendered in terms like "elite." Anyone could learn an etude given sufficient applied effort.

That said, maybe the Etude idea is not such a great one. The Preludes pushed us. We bent but didn't break. Etudes might just break us...

If the Pianist's Corner bunch were more fun and less serious, we might post such an idea there. However, I believe that over there such a recital would looked down upon as Bohemian and in poor taste...
As far as I know the majority of the etudes are considered grade 8. Of the twenty four preludes seven are considered Grade 8 and a whopping six are considered Grade 10! At thirteen that's over half of the preludes as difficult or more difficult than the majority of the etudes. I think if we divide the etudes into Op 10 and op 25 and allow a year for up to 12 of us to learn one of op 10 (Oct 2008) and 2 years to learn one of op 25 (reputed to be harder) (Oct 2009)it could be managed and should go on concurently with the mazurka/waltz/nocturne recital since there is more variation in grade level among those pieces and those not quite ready to take the etude plunge would still have two recitals to participate in that year.

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
In my RCM repertoire book all of the Etudes are listed as performer's ARCT diploma level.

音楽は楽しいですね。。。
gerg Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
You make a strong case Frycek. On the one hand, we take this to the PC and some folks here won't even participate - assuming such an idea is even received at PC (I wonder about those folks sometimes!) Remember most of them probably receive ample opportunities to perform live, and therefore an online recital may not carry the same appeal as for those of us who get very few such opportunities.

On the other, we keep it here and break the Etudes into two groups. Interesting thought...

Wikicital: A collaborative effort to build a knowledgebase of classical music history combined with examples. Your chance to both perform and write...

Don't click here!
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Theowne:
In my RCM repertoire book all of the Etudes are listed as performer's ARCT diploma level.
At a professional's performance speed they probably all are. I think all we'd be aiming for here is a respectable amateur performance. The following is from Piano World's Graded Repertoire chart (the same place I found the levels for the Preludes). It probably only lists the most accessible one. I would assume the rest are 8-10. I know that those in Op 25 are considered to be harder overall than Op 10.

8 Chopin Etude Op. 10 no. 03
8 Chopin Etude Op. 10 no. 06
8 Chopin Etude Op. 10 no. 09
8 Chopin Etude Op. 10 no. 12
8 Chopin Etude Op. 25 no. 01
8 Chopin Etude Op. 25 no. 02
8 Chopin Etude Op. 25 no. 07
8 Chopin Etude Op. 25 no. 09

[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Eleanor Bailie (in her book Chopin: a graded practical guide) rates all the Chopin Etudes as VA (Very Advanced) except for the following, which are rated as Level 8 or 8+:
Level 8...10/6, 25/2
Level 8+...10/3, 10/9, 10/12, 25/1, 25/7, 25/9.
This agrees with Frycek's list.

"Playing the piano is my greatest joy...period."......JP
gerg Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
<deleted>

Don't click here!
L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L

gerg Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Kathleen. I've deleted the above post - not because of anything you said; rather because of something I learned about the Etude mentioned.

Don't click here!
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
If it doesn't matter, I'd really like to do op. 25 first. I don't really know though. It seems rather hard to manage.

Practice makes permanent - Perfect practice makes perfect.
Page 23 of 24 1 2 21 22 23 24

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission