2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, 4 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 20 of 24 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by loveschopintoomuch:
Congrats, Nancy:
..... I really hate that this piece is called "The Raindrop." I don't hear any raindrops at all.
Imagine light rain, some water droplets drip on a "metal" gutter and make that A-flat or G-sharp tone.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Remember he wrote it during the Majorcan Misadventure. The sound is probably that of leaks falling into a bucket.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
It's funny but I know Chopin supposedly did not care for names being given to his work but I really do like the "raindrop" analogy given to the prelude. The image of Chopin on that island playing in the wet gloom with dripping water really puts me in the mood for playing it.

Was it really Von Bulow that gave it that name? Wouldn't that have been years later then?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I also like the name "uncertainty" for No 5 because I still don't know if I can come up with an acceptable performance of it by next week. laugh

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Was it really Von Bulow that gave it that name? Wouldn't that have been years later then?
I read in a couple of different places that it was actually George Sand who gave it the name "Raindrop", much to Chopin's irritation.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Chardonnay:
I read in a couple of different places that it was actually George Sand who gave it the name "Raindrop", much to Chopin's irritation.
I don't know if she actually named it that, but she certainly did suggest that it was inspired by the sound of the rain -(I prefer to think of the sound of the drips)- which irritated Chopin because he felt it trivialized his composition.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
I can understand why Chopin did not want names given to his compositions.

Anyone who plays them (even after a hundred times or more), will hear something different each any every time. That is, if the mind and ear is open to the nuances and tone colors that lie within. Putting a name on them just sort of boxes it in and that's that. It doesn't allow for the imagination to take flight or worse yet, allow the inner emotions of the pianists to put a part of themselves into the work. I know this sounds bizzare, but that's how it works for me.

Sorry, but I prefer a number to a title.

Kathleen

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by loveschopintoomuch:
I can understand why Chopin did not want names given to his compositions.

Anyone who plays them (even after a hundred times or more), will hear something different each any every time. That is, if the mind and ear is open to the nuances and tone colors that lie within. Putting a name on them just sort of boxes it in and that's that. It doesn't allow for the imagination to take flight or worse yet, allow the inner emotions of the pianists to put a part of themselves into the work. I know this sounds bizzare, but that's how it works for me.

Sorry, but I prefer a number to a title.

Kathleen
You're right. It really depends on how you're feeling. Perhaps I should record my preludes several times, whenever I'm feeling some sort of strong emotion. Would be fun to compare them.

Practice makes permanent - Perfect practice makes perfect.
gerg Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
28/15 is too sublime to fit into that narrow box. As proof of this, before I knew it had been nicknamed "raindrop" I thought of a hot lazy afternoon in a charming Southern home, followed by a fire (the buildup being more like smoke). That was before I learned I was "supposed to" imagine a rainstorm. Very, very different interpretation. And that is my humble testimony to the emotive power of this work.

So yes, apart from writing the piece in the first place Chopin had a strong leg to stand on in disdaining these program titles.

http://www.ecital.net
Wikicital: A collaborative effort to build a knowledgebase of classical music history combined with examples. Your chance to both perform and write...

Don't click here!
gerg Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Well, I've been ready to record for awhile now. Our piano got its tuning today, now it's just the long, agonizing wait for the two studio microphones to arrive. I checked the "Express Delivery" box on the order form and was willing to pay extra, but a typo in credit card # necessitated I redo part of the form, and apparently that also unchecked the "Express Delivery" box.

REALLY, REALLY want to get this over with, but I can't now until at least Monday. Arrrgh!

Wikicital: A collaborative effort to build a knowledgebase of classical music history combined with examples. Your chance to both perform and write...

Don't click here!
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
I am REALLY looking forward to this Prelude recital! :p
Gerg, exactly how will it work? Will you have everything available in one place on the 17th to download and/or play? Forgive me if you already explained this, which I'm sure you must have.... I just want to make sure I get to hear everything!

gerg Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Hey, I'm looking forward to it too! I just want to cross my name off the checklist! wink

No, it will just be a thread here on ABF. I can find a place to put a ZIP file containing volume-normalized versions of all the contributions, in addition to the BOX.NET links.

Actually, since it looks like we're in the process of starting a regular recurring thing, I already bought the domain www.chopinrecital.org, but I also have to rent webspace to create a site to which to point it, something able to withstand the traffic of, say, up to 100 people dowloading 50Mb of MP3's would cost me up to $35/mo. Kathleen offered to split the cost. Putting together a simple HTML-only site would not be hard (would take someone with basic HTML skills perhaps an hour or two), but anything fancier than that would take more time and skill than I have available. If anyone wants to help out, we could make it a reality, but I just don't have the time/money to do it alone...

Don't click here!
L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
Greg: I just posted a reply but every time I hit the "Add Reply" button, I get that error page.

Anyhow, I know others will want to contribute. Wait a bit to see, but in the meantime, let me send you a check to cover a portion of it.

What do we want on the web page? Something about Chopin, a short biography perhaps. And then a section where people can hit a link to hear each performance? And perhaps something about us, the Adult Beginners on the Piano World? I think this might be interesting because we want to let people know we are not professionals but just amateurs who love Chopin's music and are submitting our performances purely on a "non-professional" basis.

I don't think we want a link where people can respond because (from what I've seen on you-tube), I think we will be opening ourselves up to some nastiness.

Anyhow...just my initial thoughts...

Kathleen

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
gerg Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Congratulations to ALL the participants! We each strove to stretch our abilities in a labor of love for our dear Frycek.

And now, the fruit of that labor.

http://chopinrecital.org

Chopin forever!

Don't click here!
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Greg--What a beautiful website! This is great, and I really appreciate all you did to make it happen. This is a wonderful community to be a part of!

Nancy

Estonia 168
gerg Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
You are part of it - congratulations to you! laugh Your recording did work from the website.

Don't click here!
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I just listened to all 25 Preludes. I must say wow . [Linked Image]

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Congratulations from a Chopin lover! All of those recordings are beautiful!

For when an etude recital?

And in my twisted face... there's not the slightest trace of anything that even hints at kindness...
gerg Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Etude Euphoria? Yes, I like! thumb

Mazurkas are next. KATHLEEN is managing that one, due for March 1, Chopin's (thought-to-be) birthday.

Don't click here!
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hmm. I want do to Etude Euphoria!
I won't make the mistake of waiting until August to start my piece next time!

Practice makes permanent - Perfect practice makes perfect.
Page 20 of 24 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission