2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (brdwyguy, Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, danno858, 11 invisible), 1,894 guests, and 290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Relic Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Hey,

I was wondering. What kind of hands are the best to play a Piano with, should you have thick fingers or thin? large or small fingers? smile

I really dont have any idea, it probabably doesnt even matter, i gues? just curious.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
i would say it doesn't really matter. but, someone who can barely reach an octave, for example, would have more difficulty playing Rachmaninov than someone with a larger reach.

That's right...I have the same birthday as Mozart. If only it meant something and I could have one thousandth of his genius...in my dreams, i suppose.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
The best kind of hands are the kind that practice a lot laugh

Keep a song in your heart!

Frank
--------------------------
It's not who we are that holds us back, it's who we think we're not!
good answer frank.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
strong, supple, flexible of whatever size -do Liszt's exercises and Hanon

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I agree with Frank, and would add: The best kind of hands? The one's that are attached to my own wrists.

But I can't resist the literal answer... Not too long, not too short, not too thick, not too thin, and very limber but not overly loose.

How's that?! smile

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
R
Relic Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Hehe thanks for the replies. I know it is a bit of a weird thread ;-) but thanks for the repleis smile

L
L
I would say a chimp's hands are best because their fingers are very long, even longer than Rachmanov's.

_ _ ___________________________ _ _
"There are no shortcuts to anything worth doing." Beverly Sills
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by LudwigVanBee:
I would say a chimp's hands are best because their fingers are very long, even longer than Rachmanov's.
laugh laugh laugh

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
I would have to say, fairly large hands. For a woman I suppose one would have to say, rather long fingered hands.

Reason is tenth intervals. Depends on the piece, of course. But some composers just riddle their pieces with tenths. Alexander Tcherepnin is one.

I am currently playing a new book of Christmas music I just purchased. A couple of the pieces have numerous tenth intervals.

All I will say, if I had very small hands I would be selective about what I chose to play.

There are a couple of other tactics -- such as to roll chords, but here, one must realize one is not playing what was intended by the composer. When composers want a roll, they mark it.

Another alternative is to actually change the chord. Sometimes I actually do this because a particular chord just irritates me -- sounds "dead" for example. Keep a pencil near the keyboard.

Good luck--

the Glyptodont
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
the hands with thin and long fingers are certainly the best! my hands are small though, and though fingers are thin, they're not long enough.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
NOT clean hands!

Go wash your hands with soap and then go play the piano; very sticky to do!

I sometimes "blow dry" or even use some powder on my hands to really get a nice touch to the keys. You don't want that super-ultra grip squeeky clean feel in your fingertips as it can really slow you down.

Very dry fingers seems to work good too. Like I said, try blow drying your hands and fingers for a minute before playing, you may find a huge difference.

Bowlers and pool players do this all the time.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Hands with six fingers.

Signa--

If I were in your place, I would consult with my teacher if I happened to start on a a piece with quite a few tenths. I'm sure your teacher encounters this all the time.

And if you are selecting a piece for purchase, quickly leaf through the score in the music shop, so at least you can see what kinds of reach the piece will demand.

Usually you don't find tenths in anything below a "book four" or so, since young people generally could not span a tenth. And frequent tenths are seldom appropriate for mid-grades learning.

Just to mention, I am re-learning Myra Hess's arrangement of Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring. It has frequent tenths. Some are marked to be rolled, and some not.

Best luck--

the Glyptodont
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Glyptodont:
I am re-learning Myra Hess's arrangement of Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring. It has frequent tenths. Some are marked to be rolled, and some not.

i just selected that yesterday to relearn.. Christmasy..

Great tip Mr. Hunk

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
Glyptodont,

You hit it on the head. Although people with a wide variety of hand sizes and shapes can be very successful pianists, large hands with relative slim fingers would seem to give you an advantage. [I almost said it would give you "a leg up," but that would have been horrible!]

I know those Tcherepnin pieces, and long fingers certainly help you play the tenths without mashing other notes. My son is starting Gershwin's Prelude #2, and that's another piece with tenths. He can't quite reach it, but in another year or two the problem will disappear (his mom has exactly the right hand shape).

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
While learning rhapsody in blue, originally I could barely reach the 10ths. The secret I discovered was to stay loose when playing them; it increases your reach at least .5in. I was tensing up in an effort to really hammer those FFF 10ths in some spots, what I learned through my teacher was that if you stay loose and use more the weight of your arm and shoulder, sort of using your fingers as an extension, you can achieve longer reach, and volume with a tone, as opposed to just volume.

The best fingers are the fingers with great technique.

Shigeru Kawai SK7
Kawai NV10S
Hallet & Davis 165
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Glyptodont:
Signa--

If I were in your place, I would consult with my teacher if I happened to start on a a piece with quite a few tenths. I'm sure your teacher encounters this all the time.

And if you are selecting a piece for purchase, quickly leaf through the score in the music shop, so at least you can see what kinds of reach the piece will demand.
thanks for advices. i haven't encounter any pieces yet with 10th so far. only piece with 9th is Moonlight 1st movement, where i could barely reach those 9ths from keyboard edge.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission