2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
29 members (crab89, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, 9 invisible), 1,250 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1088627 09/13/04 04:22 AM
OP Offline
Whenever I play a new song, I have to take time to recognise what notes to play. I can't recognise the notes straight away, why??? I have to think first before I can play. But once I get used to playing a particular piece, I find that I can play it continuously without stopping to think what note that is... I want to learn how to play without pausing to think about what note this is, what note that is. Is this what they call sight reading? What's sight reading? Somebody plz help me. Hope you guys understand what I am saying.

#1088628 09/13/04 06:54 AM
B
B
I understand exactly what you are saying.

I, too, am a beginner. I often have to work on recognizing the notes before I start to play. But not as much as I used to. Just keep at it and the notes (and chords) will become familiar.

It may help if you start out by playing each hand separately.

Bob

#1088629 09/13/04 07:32 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
You know, it's a lot like reading. At first, it is hard to recognize the letters quickly, but after a while you don't even think about it. I used to have trouble recognizing the notes on the staff (especially bass clef), but now it's automatic. I still struggle with some ledger lines.

You might play around at musictheory.net, which has a thing that will drill you endlessly on the grand staff. It is very helpful.

http://musictheory.net/load.php?id=82

#1088630 09/13/04 09:25 AM
Cindy is right, reading music is like reading a book.

Whatever you do, though, do *not* buy "Super Sight-Reading Secrets" by Howard Richman. I tried it and it's a waste of time and money. If you have any question, chances are there will be someone here who can answer it.

#1088631 09/15/04 03:39 PM
L
L
You may be looking for the easier softer way. Learning to instantly recognize notes takes years and years. If you do technical exercises, one way that helps is Schaum's Finger Power, similar to Hanon from what I've heard. You practice these exercises with the metronome, gradually increasing speed. Then you do them in different keys. This is tedious and boring but no question it helps in note recognition is additon to other benefits. Do it only 10 minutes a day and after six months you will see the difference.

_ _ ___________________________ _ _
"There are no shortcuts to anything worth doing." Beverly Sills
#1088632 09/15/04 06:54 PM
S
S
My teacher had me practice the technical exercises using the Schaum's Finger Power book. I don't think it's boring, I do it for 10 minutes a day and really help me to recongnized the notes much easier, been doing it for 3 months.

#1088633 09/20/04 10:48 AM
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
I agree with Mitch - I also have Super Sight Reading Secrets and don't find it that great! Everyone is so right about "reading" and "music sight reading" I am a teacher and I use my music reading as an example to my kids. We want them to be fluent readers and the only way they can be that is to read, read, read at things that are at their independent reading level. When we want to improve their sight-word recognition or phonics we use what's called reading at their instructional level. This is material at which they can be successful with support as opposed to independent, where they do not need help. Becoming a better sight reader of music is the same. Practice simple things (independent level) to improve your sight reading ability. Work on more difficult things (instructional level) with a teacher. Gradually, the levels move up in music reading as in reading reading.

You will be 10 years older, ten years from now, no matter what you do - so go for it!

Estonia #6141 in Satin Mahogany

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission