2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, 3 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1084451 03/08/05 10:50 AM
M
MLT Offline OP
OP Offline
M
My teacher is planning a recital in a few months and has assigned me a piece that I now feel is above my skill level. I’ve been banging away at it for two months now and haven’t even got half way through the approximately six minute piece. The part I have gotten through sounds bad and I haven’t been able to incorporate any peddling yet. Really frustrating for me. Sure it’s a nice piece to have in my repertoire but I’m willing to wait until I’m more prepared for it.

Now I’m thinking to myself that I don’t even want to play in the recital. I can’t see any benefit to doing so, I play piano because I enjoy it so much, but I do it for myself. I don’t care if nobody ever hears me play so I’m not really sure what value a recital holds for me. Plus, I’m not good in front of people, nor am I very good on the spot. How probable is it that I will be able to sit and play for over six minutes without having a mistake and then compounding it as my brain freezes up? And why would I do it anyway? I just like to play for me!! I have a day job, piano is a hobby for me that up until now has always been very enjoyable. I don’t like deadlines and I don’t like the pressure that I now feel from what previously was just a very enjoyable luxury hobby. I’ve put almost everything else on hold trying to master this piece and I’m thinking this is just not worth it.

Somebody please tell me, what’s the value of recitals for somebody like me (adult with 2.5 years experience who doesn’t care if he never plays for anybody but himself) and is it worth the pressure and strain? I often hear people extol the value of these things but I’m thinking maybe I should just bow out and stick with what works for me. Is this self-centered? Immature? Am I missing something?

Kirk

#1084452 03/08/05 11:07 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
As you describe it, recitals have no value for you. I mean, no way should you do your first recital under time pressure with a piece that is not secure. I am totally in your corner on this. It doesn't make sense.

It's a disaster waiting to happen, if you ask me. I think that if you don't have a piece in your fingers *right now* that you can mostly play from memory, then you should skip this recital.

(What's the piece, BTW?)

That said, I do think you should play in this recital (if you have a piece) or the next one. If you are playing a comfortable piece that you can perform well, you won't find many of the problems you describe. Your brain won't freeze. You won't neglect everything else; you already know the piece. You won't feel pressure to get ready on someone else's schedule; you know the piece so you're ready. Yes, you'll make mistakes, but you'll know how to recover.

I do think doing a recital would be good for someone with 2.5 years under your belt, though, so your teacher isn't all wet. I found the difference between playing recitals and not playing recitals was that I no longer fear the words, "Hey, why don't you play something for us?"

I just sit down and play something.

And, erm . . . I don't like the idea that there is something in life that I can't do. If I'm afraid to play the piano in public, then my fears own me rather than the other way around.

I'm part Dude, see. wink

#1084453 03/08/05 11:13 AM
I know where you're coming from - I often feel the same way. I've been at it for a year now, and haven't had my first recital, although I have promised an informal one to the neighbors. I'm sure many here will have good reasons to participate in one. I'd say it sounds like the very least you need to do is find a piece you'd be comfortable with.

I played it better at home.
#1084454 03/08/05 01:23 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
My opinion: bow out. As an adult, you know what you want out of learning how to play music. If that doesn't include recitals, I think you have no obligation to subject yourself to something you don't think you'll enjoy. If you change your mind, you could always play in a future recital.

markb--The Count of Casio
#1084455 03/08/05 01:28 PM
E
E
Rather than bow out entirely, why not tell your teacher you want to play something more manageable, thereby combining all the good advice above

WWEP?
#1084456 03/08/05 10:47 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I play in recitals every chance I get. But I *always* choose the pieces myself. I ask for advice from my teacher sometimes, but I would never play something that I didn't choose to play, and that I thought was too difficult. I think playing in a recital is hard, so it's important that you are totally into the piece and enjoy the prep required. Maybe if you choose a different piece you'll feel more willing to participate.

I think there is a lot to gain from being in recitals, but if you do it against your will, I am not sure you will get much out of it. If you can't get comfortable with this piece, either choose a different one or ask to wait until the next recital.

BTW, your teacher may want you to play that piece for specific reasons, you should ask what those reasons are. And of course, be sure to ask your teacher why recitals are beneficial.

Regarding my personal opinions on the benefit of recital-playing... I started playing in recitals as soon as I possibly could, maybe after only about 6 months! Of course I was playing veryvery easy pieces.

First of all, it's an experience unlike anything else we do when we play for ourselves, and you can't really understand that until you do it. When it goes well, I find myself on a high for weeks, and when it goes badly... well, only my mother can get me out of that funk! (and I am a grown woman eek

Playing in front of others is distracting. Being in a recital gives you a taste of what you need to do to truly focus on your music, and what you're doing. Developing this kind of concentration is IMO essential for overall piano technique.

You need to know the piece to the fullest extent possible for you, and a recital will help you take your practice to that next level.

Finally, you might just find that you really enjoy it!

Last May I played three pieces in a recital (not my first, not my last) and it went so well... of course I made mistakes, but I played the way I wanted to. I was *in* the music, in that moment in time. And I was able to share it with 50 some other people. It sounds like a cliche, but it really is like giving a piece of yourself.

That is the best feeling. Afterwards, my friend came up to congratulate me, and she had tears in her eyes. I will never, ever forget that.

It might not yet be the time for your first recital, but don't be in too much of a hurry to decide that you'll never play in one.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
#1084457 03/08/05 11:35 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
ShiroKuro,

What a great post! thumb

#1084458 03/09/05 02:33 AM
Kirk,

The great thing about doing recitals is that it makes you work to a specific goal, which you probably wouldn't aim for otherwise.

You shouldn't worry about making mistakes. You will, and so will all the others playing. does anybody have the perfect performance - i don't think so.

With regards to your piece, you still have a few months. Why don't you give it a go? If you are that worried have a back up piece to play if you cannot get this current piece up to the standard you want to play.

Be positive, if you manage to play this piece, you will feel so fantastic afterwards - it will be a major achievement. I say GO FOR IT!!

Good luck

Teresa

#1084459 03/09/05 05:45 AM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
MarkJ, thanks! smile

BTW, I also wanted to add that I have learned as much, if not more, from the recitals I've played where I didn't do a good job (whether because of nerves, lack of readiness, or both, or other things) This is not a fun way to learn, but it is really invaluable!

MLT, sorry if it sounds like I'm trying to say "you better do the recital" my main intent is to answer your question about the benefit of recitals, not to add to the pressure placed on you. But I obviously feel strongly that there's a lot to be gained from recitals, so that makes me very biased I guess.

In any case, please let us know what you decide to do.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
#1084460 03/09/05 07:20 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
ShiroKuro, that was a perfect answer!

I think I made some people cry with my performances, too!

But it wasn't a good kind of crying . . .

laugh

Seriously, MLT, the other thing that helps is to remember that this ain't Carnegie Hall. The sun comes up the next morning if you don't play well.

And the audience really, really is pulling for you. The only way to have more people supporting you is to go on welfare. laugh

#1084461 03/09/05 09:14 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
The only way to have more people supporting you is to go on welfare. laugh
Cindy, I am SHOCKED! You're talking like a red-stater. smile

Support our troops!
#1084462 03/09/05 09:28 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
as a male over 50, my eyes keep reading this thread as "Topic: why rectals?"

sorry.

k

#1084463 03/09/05 09:42 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
seriously, Recitals (spelling carefully)can be intimidating - but most of us play for very understanding audiences. One recommendation I'd underline is to take every opportunity you can to play for others - don't play a lot - maybe just a short piece. But nothing helps one get familiar with the hazards of public performance than a public performance.

The other discovery is learning how to play in a relaxed manner when you're not relaxed - that is to play musically even if you're feeling a little shaky inside.

It's a challenge - but a rewarding one.

Ken

#1084464 03/09/05 06:09 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Recital: is there another word so capable of striking fear into a novice pianist's heart?

I've been playing for about three years now, after a hiatus of a long time. My daugher takes lessons with me. She LOVES being on stage, being the center of attention. I run the opposite direction.

We are fortunate to have found a teacher who understands that:
a) I am an adult;
b) adults like to make their own decisions.

Our delightful teacher encourages my participation in recitals, but doesn't insist. She does require my 16 year old to take part, though.

I have always, always panicked at the thought of playing "in public", most days I cannot even play for one or two people in the room and it was handicapping me. So, I volunteered to take part in the Christmas recital. 2003's was a disaster; shaking hands, scared to death, totally muffed one of my pieces, but I did it. 2004's went much, much better. Still frightened, but not paralyzingly so, even managed to play it "almost" as good as at home. I will likely do this year's and hope for further improvement.

Please, reserve the right to make your own decision in this. You are an adult, and deserve the respect of being an adult. But do consider doing a recital or two, just for the experience. Try and choose your own pieces; you know what you are comfortable with. I know I no longer cut and run at the mere suggestion of a recital, because I have the right to "just say no."

Collector of sheet music I can't play.

Chickering & Sons Quarter Grand (rebuilt 2021)
#1084465 03/10/05 08:51 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Bump!

MLT, did you go back and toss the music at your teacher's feet and dare him to force you to do this recital?

#1084466 03/11/05 09:49 AM
M
MLT Offline OP
OP Offline
M
So I had a talk with my teacher about the whole thing and explained my concerns to her. I was just up front and honest with everything, and she took it well. The piece was the Moonlight Sonata, which is not terribly difficult, but its just different from anything else I have played to this point, and getting comfortable with it is taking longer than expected.

So we thought through some alternative pieces and came up with a good one by Clementi. I’m working through it and I’m already feeling at home. Its still a tough piece but learning it is much more comfortable for me. I’m much more used to the base line and it doesn’t require the large stretches and jumps around the keyboard that I just know I would blow when I got in front of an audience. Also, the song has two sections and both are repeated for a total playing time of over three minutes, so it sounds good and long but isn’t such a learning curve because of the repeats (cheating or maximizing the potential for success?, you be the judge).

I told her that I really do want to learn the Moonlight Sonata, as its really beautiful so I continue to work on that. I definitely want that in my repertoire but its going to take time.

I’m like you Cindysphinx, I don’t like to quit anything until I’ve mastered it, so I do want to play in at least one recital in my life. If I do it well, then I will decide if I want to do it again, if I do it poorly, you guys will hear ALL about it! At any rate I will definitely give a summary of what I think the value of the whole thing was. Us adult beginners have a different set of goals and priorities, so I’m curious to see how it all works out. The feedback here has definitely been helpful, thanks all.

Kirk

#1084467 03/11/05 10:11 AM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Good on you, Kirk.

Which Clementi are you working on? A couple of people here are working on one of his sonatinas.

Moonlight Sonata is wonderful, but that's a bit much for a first recital, I think. I think pieces like that are wicked hard to memorize, and they're easy to get lost in, too. (I'm still working on the first few lines of it, and it's not going well, as each time I play it feels like I've never seen it before.)

#1084468 03/11/05 01:37 PM
M
MLT Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Cindysphinx,

That’s exactly how the Moonlight Sonata has been for me too. No matter how many times I play it, it’s always like I’m doing it for the first time, very irritating.

The Clementi piece is a Sonatina, Op. 36, No. 3, "Spiritoso". It’s pretty fun so far but requires a certain speed and élan in some places to sound good that I think will be difficult for me to attain. However, it’s easy enough so far to memorize.

Thanks for the encouragement. Do you use a certain music method or series still? I use Suzuki and Alfred, so Clementi seems easier for me, especially with its basic left hand, and I wonder if that comes from working through the Suzuki method.

Kirk

#1084469 03/11/05 03:00 PM
MLT - about why recitals? Some authorities believe we play differently when playing in front of others. That makes it a learning/growing experience and that's good.

Like you, I began lessons intending to play only for me and maybe my lady friend (and teacher).

Then Steinway asked me to play for one of their upcoming customer events ("if he can do this, think what you can do...") so thought I'd better have some public exposure.

In my area we have a music club (piano and voice teachers) who meet monthly and play. I played about two weeks ago (Schubert Impromptu Gflat) and have to say loved the experience. It was uplifting.

Made me learn the piece better. And, the audience was very knowledgeable, which made their reception to my playing all the better.

Go for it, give it a chance and let us know how it worked for you.

Ed

2005 Steinway B
#1084470 03/11/05 03:46 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Nah, there's no method to my madness, Kirk. I hear things I like and ask my teacher if she thinks I can handle them. Or I'll ask her for something that might help me with a particular skill.

I don't know that Clementi, but I'm interested, so I'll check it out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission