2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, Carey, brennbaer, busa, ChickenBrother, Barly, 1957, 10 invisible), 2,048 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Rosanna Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Just thought I'd mention to some of the dear folks here that I just started PianoMagic this weekend - finally! yippie I have asked enough questions about it that I assume some of you may be interested to find out this latest development.

It's definitely a different way of thinking and learning, and it's not "traditional". So far I am approaching each lesson with a sense of excitement of discovery. I haven't taken paid lessons of any kind for a long time and these lessons just keep me so interested.

Any slim hope that I may prepare a piece (playing from score) for the upcoming recital is gone. :p I am spending a bit more time over at PM and at the piano learning. But don't do anything I won't do - I am still keeping an eye on all of you!

[Linked Image]
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Good luck kiddo. I will be watching your progress as well.

Sounds like you are going to "dive in the deep end" and put aside everything for a while. As you know, I think that's the smart thing to do, based on my short roadtrip the other way.

Keep in touch.

"There is nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself." Johann Sebastian Bach/Gyro
...another convert methinks !! Just wait until Brother Lee reads this smile ha ha

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Brother Lee?...LOL

text, I have already said "hello" to Rosanna over there and have been looking forward to her joining for quite a while smile I am really excited about how things are going to pan out...lets wait and see wink

To be honest I'm sure she's in for a real blast I can just feel it...Rosanna, to let you know I just can't wait for the pennies to start to dropping thumb

regards

Lee smile

Twitter: @Seaside_Lee
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
[quote : Any slim hope that I may prepare a piece (playing from score) for the upcoming recital is gone.]

Jeepers, you'll be ready to post something by ear then anyway, and I can't wait to hear it! smile

Rerun

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

[Linked Image]

...I know Lee I was also at the initiation ceremony. thumb

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Rosanna:
So far I am approaching each lesson with a sense of excitement of discovery. I haven't taken paid lessons of any kind for a long time and these lessons just keep me so interested.

That's terrific, Rosanna! thumb That's what piano should be all about.

Looking forward to hearing regular progress reports from you. smile

Rosanna Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by gmm1:
I will be watching your progress as well.
Originally posted by rerun:

you'll be ready to post something by ear then anyway, and I can't wait to hear it!
Uh-oh, no pressure pleazzze...

I posted a question over at PM yesterday, and another member's answer (actually Troy, who is also a PW member) made me see a whole different perspective on playing by ear (vs playing by score.) It's exciting and scary at the same time. It's a whole new awareness, new way of relating to music than what I consciously know, or have been trained for. I also realize that whatever piano experience I have doesn't count at all - at least not at this stage. But the good thing is that I was made conscious of how I relate to music now, and can put that aside in order to learn a new way.

We've heard some PM members warn that some people with previous piano experience don't progress as well, or don't like the PM method. I think it may not be due to closed mindedness, or trying to go too fast, etc. It may just be not seeing the existing "filter"/awareness that they carry, and thus missing the "right" way to relate to PM. I for one was in that situation, unknowingly, until I got a very enlightening answer from Troy.

Sheesh, I may sound like Seaside someday, the way I am extolling the virtues of being in PM. :p

[Linked Image]
It's lovely to read and feel such enthusiasm Rosanna. smile Have a great time there and I look forward to reading about, and hearing, your progress.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Hi all:

This Piano Magic sounds interesting. Though I am involved in the Shinn course for the next year or two, I will at some point be interested in looking at Piano Magic as another approach to learn with in addition to what I will already have learned. However, I looked at the site and it appears to me that you would need to be running something other than Linux to have the necessary tools to use the videos and whatever other teaching materials the site presents. Is this true?

Thanks,

Tony

Roland V-Grand
Hi Tony!

Go to the site and try to register. You will see that before you can register there's first a compatibility check. If you 'pass' it, then you will be able to use PianoMagic.

ex - pian00b
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Astra:

Thanks! I will try that. Reading all the discussions about Piano Magic, that method seems quite viable, and I am interested in checking it out as an addition to what I am already doing sometime in the future. Maybe that is not the best way to do it, but right now I want to stay focused on my current course until I finish it. But I also am intrigued by the things people are saying about Piano Magic.

Thanks,

Tony

Roland V-Grand
Originally posted by TonyB:
Hi all:

This Piano Magic sounds interesting. it appears to me that you would need to be running something other than Linux to have the necessary tools to use the videos and whatever other teaching materials the site presents. Is this true?

Thanks,

Tony
Hi Tony
I am a member over at Piano Magic, and sometimes I use my mepis linux cds in live mode, and everything seems to work fine.

Dale

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Dale:

Thanks for the info! That definitely tells me what I needed to know.

Thanks,

Tony

Roland V-Grand
Wow Rosanna! I didn't realize that I made my point that well. I usually just ramble and don't make sense. I'm REALLY glad you understand......that's probably the biggest hurdle for folks with previous experience.

You've been there for only a few weeks, and I assume you already see why you need to check your experience at the door? It's not because it doesn't apply. It's because it "temporarily" gets in the way of seeing things in a different perspective.

After a good amount of time with PM, you'll be shocked at how much better you'll understand the "written stuff".

Take care,

Troy

Rosanna Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Troy, I have to say your answer in that PM thread, among all the others, was THE answer. Even Mike's didn't quite do it for me. wow

I have been wanting to send you a pvt msg just to say thank you, but there is some nasty software interaction in my computer that makes it not possible for me to use that function over in PMMO. Glad you see this thread here - Thanks!

[Linked Image]
D
D
This thread made me curious so I went to PianoMagic and looked around.
So this is all online with no book?
My computer is no where near my piano and won't ever be.
He relates piano to dog training?
I consider myself a fair dog obedience trainer having raised 2 semi obedient Shar Pei over the last 17 years but spoiled them rotten and made them fat with treats.
Do I put candy on the piano and everytime I think I did good take one out.
I imagine getting fatter just thinking about it. laugh

Rosanna Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
dvs cycles, good thing I am not a candy-ohlics!

I have experience in teaching in my previous job. From these early PM lessons, I would say Mike happens to have a very unique way of bringing the students to the water, so to speak, and letting them make their own learning and discoveries. His languaging may be rather unconventional, but then he is being true to himself. For the lessons where I can tell the underlying intent of where he is guiding the students, it actually all makes sense. One has to be careful not to get too stuck on his pedagogical language and means. (I am not implying that you are.) I actually find his means to be rather entertaining and also very thoughtful underneath.

I told you guys. I am at risk of sounding like Seaside_Lee the second. (Hmmm, "SL II" does have a certain royal look to it. laugh )

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
"He relates piano to dog training?"

I'm a life-long "cat person", never owned a dog, am my cat's human, etc., but I still find PMMO very helpful and useful, and believe me, I wouldn't stick around for one minute if I wasn't learning a lot musically from it and getting my "treats" (tuna preferred). smile

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
quote DVS cycles: This thread made me curious so I went to PianoMagic and looked around.
So this is all online with no book?

Yep, pretty scary huh?

quote: My computer is no where near my piano and won't ever be.

Yep, he prefers that the piano be inside.

quote: He relates the piano to dog training.

Jeepers, you are on a roll, move your treats under the piano. smile

Mike's no snob. It's about having some fun while you are learning. smile

Rerun

"Seat of the pants piano player" DMD

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission