2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, danno858, 10 invisible), 1,872 guests, and 296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 75 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 74 75
I started this book a while ago..... I'm only on Calypso Rhumba though. I will actually be giving up this book for a while to work on my Royal Conservatory grade 4. I'm doing the exam this summer. I've just returned to lessons after having my second child.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
John Thompson reminds me of the Helen Curtis series. It's not like the modern methods with chords and simple arrangements. These courses are more difficult and move quite a bit faster.

Welcome to the challenge Funburger. It's a whole new ball game. laugh

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear, Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair.>>> Herman Munster
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi funburger,

I used JT as a kid, went through 1 & most of 2. I had three and picked up the first piece for the fun of it. (must have had just as weird a sense of fun then as I do now.)

Nobody Knows the Trouble I've Seen - WITH CROSS HAND PLAYING!

I loved that arrangement! I thought it was so much fun and I was doing it on my own. The other pieces I remember playing for myself was I'd Like to Teach the World To Sing and I had a couple of books of classical pieces by some composers I don't remember any more and I loved to play the first pieces in that set.

I didn't really practice for my lessons. I didn't really enjoy my teacher, but if I could have harnessed what I found in those few pieces - that might have made such a difference.

Unfortunately, I quit piano lessons to go to a private high school and the homework load was so heavy that I never picked it back up.

I'm looking through Book 3, and I've been playing a fair number of the pieces in there already - Bach Mussette, Schumann Melody, Clementi Sonatina 36.1 (first movement), and I just finished Bach's Prelude in C (from the little preludes).

The motto on the cover of JT's books is "Something New Every Lesson." It should be 20 things new every lesson!

Ask your teacher about the Robert D Vandall Complete Preludes. That would be a perfect set of pieces in every key for the level of JT 3.

Rich

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
F
F
Originally posted by funburger:
piano4, well my teacher started me on the john thompsons grade 3. i just started it so i cant give much information on it. seems challenging enough though:) i am still working on the chopin piece and the moonlight sonata at the end of alfreds 3 though. maybe i will get some practice in so i can pass them soon:) i am guessing when you are done with alfreds 3 you should ask your teacher what happens then?? find out what you want to do etc. and see which way you want to go.
I've been working in 3 different series-Aaron 3, JT3 and Alfred 3. Out of the 3 of them, I would say that JT3 is the most challenging. I do love some of the pieces though-particularly Dona Nobis Pacem.

I have a deep and satisfying relationship with my Yamaha U1...
M
M
Well, I'm feeling "Super Special" smile this week as I finally started book 3. Like others, I'm still finishing up on Canon from book 2. I was wondering how your teachers are using the "just for fun" section...are you just going through the book consecutively or do you jump around from the "regular" pieces to the "fun" and some of the more difficult pieces in the back of the book? My teacher has never had an adult make it to book 3 (patting myself on back)and she hasn't really looked through the book, just opened it and started me on the first song, so I am curious about other teachers' methods...

Char

M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by mamawatchman:
Well, I'm feeling "Super Special" smile this week as I finally started book 3. Like others, I'm still finishing up on Canon from book 2. I was wondering how your teachers are using the "just for fun" section...are you just going through the book consecutively or do you jump around from the "regular" pieces to the "fun" and some of the more difficult pieces in the back of the book? My teacher has never had an adult make it to book 3 (patting myself on back)and she hasn't really looked through the book, just opened it and started me on the first song, so I am curious about other teachers' methods...

Char
I've glanced at the "Just for Fun" section, but have too busy with the regular stuff. My guess is when we reach the just for fun area. We will just go right through it to the "Ambisious (sp) section"

PS: You will really like many of the pieces in book 3. There are a few "dogs" but for the most part very enjoyable...

And congrats making it to book 3... smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
We've been playing the Just For Fun pieces as they show up in the book, but not skipping to the Ambitious stuff yet. Holding on to that till we get thru the book, then she will let me pick what I want, or move on to something else. I know she's got Clementi sonatinas hiding up her sleeve somewhere! laugh

-Mak

1889 Mason & Hamlin screwstringer upright
Kawai MP-4 digital

---------------------------
When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.
M
M
Originally posted by IrishMak:
We've been playing the Just For Fun pieces as they show up in the book, but not skipping to the Ambitious stuff yet. Holding on to that till we get thru the book, then she will let me pick what I want, or move on to something else. I know she's got Clementi sonatinas hiding up her sleeve somewhere! laugh
I've already been working on OP 36 No. 1 for what seems like ages. I have to admit, I sort of feel like I'm close to getting it down (how's that for being vague?), but of course it always falls apart when I try to play it for her. You'd think that after over two years with her I would lose the jitters whenever I play! smile

Char

Thank You, Funburger for your insight. I have a ways to go, particularly with this Alfred book#3. The Serenade is a bit tricky, but I'll learn it wink

And to reply to the others within this group, my instructor looked at the book but we haven't chosen any thing in particular. She told me that we weren't going to do all of the pieces but i know we will be doing some of the "ambitious" ones!

[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
OK guys - I'm on the next to last piece in Book 2 - so, what are the best pieces to look forward to in 3?

Regards, JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
S
S
I personally like the Scheherazade and Prelude in C Major from Ambitious section.

Currently working on The Unfinished Symphony which is a tricky one. :s

M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by John Frank:
OK guys - I'm on the next to last piece in Book 2 - so, what are the best pieces to look forward to in 3?

Regards, JF
I like so far:

Fandago
Prelude in D
Swan Lake
Scheherazade
Spooky story
Steal Away
Come back to Sorrento
An American Hymn...outstanding btw
Adagio in A Major...also outstanding
Blue Rondo

M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by Sherly:
I personally like the Scheherazade and Prelude in C Major from Ambitious section.

Currently working on The Unfinished Symphony which is a tricky one. :s
Yes, very tricky...

F
F
I got through Swan Lake..not bad. I enjoyed that.
Had trouble with the Prelude though....

I have a deep and satisfying relationship with my Yamaha U1...
I'm just beginning into book 3 and have gotten through the first piece and am now working on Serenade from String Quartet,m Op3, No5. I'll be on this for another week! There's some good works in this book!

[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Mark - what's so outstanding about "An American Hymn" - melody? Chordal accompaniment? Total arrangement? Can you be a little more detailed or specific? I've been playing alot of hymns over the last couple of years as a supplement to Book 2, and was just curious. Thanks & regards, JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by John Frank:
Mark - what's so outstanding about "An American Hymn" - melody? Chordal accompaniment? Total arrangement? Can you be a little more detailed or specific? I've been playing alot of hymns over the last couple of years as a supplement to Book 2, and was just curious. Thanks & regards, JF
I guess I have to say the way it sounds. It just has a mellow moving feel to it that I just love. It also just flows well from your hands when you play it. Same as the piece after it (Adagio in A Major) thats in the same key and somewhat similar in design...

PS: I played these pieces on a Yamaha S recently and I was just floored by how they sounded...

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Mark - thanks for the details - I may try the hymn out ahead of schedule.

Regards, JF

M
M
Just popping in to say I started Fandango this week and am really enjoying it. Sounds like there are a lot of good pieces in this book!

Char

i'm still on Serenade and will probably get to the end this week1 Hopefully! There are some good pieces in this book! Good challenges ahead!

[Linked Image]
Page 8 of 75 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 74 75

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission