2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, brennbaer, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, 8 invisible), 1,795 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 75 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 74 75
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I agree about the "breezing thru" comment. I never wanted or expected anyone to take my posts as meaning I am running thru book 3 at a fantastic pace. I am not. I have dropped many of the pieces before polishing them to "performance" quality. But I do think I have learned something from all of them. There are many that, even if I could record, I would not, because they just simply would not be worth listening to.

-Mak

1889 Mason & Hamlin screwstringer upright
Kawai MP-4 digital

---------------------------
When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.
M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by OldFingers:

Did no one take the option of going to the Prelude in C Major? If not, why not? I'm going to spend some time on this one because I like the chords although I haven't figured them all out yet.

I have played through it. But I've worked on it years ago when my son was taking lessons. It's a very nice piece, I'm also very closes to getting prelude in D completed. I really want to record that one.

Don't feel bad about the Classy Rag. I may never get it to speed either... laugh

M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by IrishMak:
I agree about the "breezing thru" comment. I never wanted or expected anyone to take my posts as meaning I am running thru book 3 at a fantastic pace. I am not. I have dropped many of the pieces before polishing them to "performance" quality. But I do think I have learned something from all of them. There are many that, even if I could record, I would not, because they just simply would not be worth listening to.
Count me as there too. In fact I recently told my teacher we need to stop at Steal Away because I'm falling behind and need time to get some pieces cleaned up. And there are a few I might just play though and never polish.

Hech, I'm still working on Canon and a few other book 2 pieces... laugh

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

JF, I think your suggestion that we record some of our pieces is a good one.

I once threatened to record Danny Boy, and I will after my piano is tuned next week.
Threatened? laugh Something tells me that it will be more like a "treat" than a "threat"! smile

Regards, JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
I must confess, I am still working on the last page of Canon. That 4th finger of mine was killing my timing until I realized I had to lift my hands. What a difference!

The "breezing" comment was a little flip and I apologize if I gave the wrong impression. On thinking about it, I realized that I'm on page 36 because I already knew the theory from my lead-sheet days and I've skipped 2-3 pieces. But I'm slowing down now because of new fingering configurations.

Mark, do you remember the speed at which you played the Prelude in C Major?

Ah, JF, you are a real optimist. You might live to regret your suggestion.

Aspiring Retirement Home Lounge Pianist
M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Mark, do you remember the speed at which you played the Prelude in C Major?

My sons digital had it programed into it and It sounded like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KHycdHbz6w&feature=related

I never did get it to speed back then...

I sounded more like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdSlu06gDy8&feature=related

Hope this helps...

Mark...

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Mark, thanks for the recordings. My speed is more like the second example, except that I still make a lot of mistakes. Your left hand seems to be a lot more confident than mine is. I'm still guessing at some of the positions.

Bob

M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Mark, thanks for the recordings. My speed is more like the second example, except that I still make a lot of mistakes. Your left hand seems to be a lot more confident than mine is. I'm still guessing at some of the positions.

Bob
Those recording weren't actually me. Just examples. I did play something like the second one a while ago. Looking forward to tackling it again. Also I see nothing wrong with the slower speed. I like it better in fact.

Mark...

F
F
I can't believe how long I've been struggling over Classy Rag....

Of course, with 2 jobs and and online courses-I don't have the time I'd like to have to practice, but still!

I keep telling myself that it will be really cool when I finally get it because I'm working so hard on it.

I have a deep and satisfying relationship with my Yamaha U1...
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Fitswimmer, I feel the same way about the Unfinished Symphony piece! It still sounds so measured and mechanical, but if I don't count very, very precisely and slowly, I get lost immediately! My teacher says the first page is "getting better," but I'm not entirely convinced!

-Mak

Kawai MP-4 digital

When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.
O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
IrishMak, I'm just starting The Unfinished Symphony. Thanks for the tip to count it out carefully.

I've finished my lessons for this year but hope to keep going in Book 3, but I probably won't get very far without my teacher.

Sometime ago John Frank asked us for some recordings and I've been trying to do Danny Boy, but I'm suffering the Red Dot fever. It's the first time I've tried to record my playing and it was a very good lesson because I realized that I was making mistakes but just sloughed them off. I'm going beyond cyberspace for awhile, but I hope to get at least one recording done before I'm gone.

F
F
I have conquered you, Classy Rag!! You did not beat me-although you tried. I have mastered your tricky passages and repeats!

After this pause for rejoicing...I get to start polishing the dynamics, but boy it feels good right now.

I have a deep and satisfying relationship with my Yamaha U1...
M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by Fitswimmer:
I have conquered you, Classy Rag!! You did not beat me-although you tried. I have mastered your tricky passages and repeats!

After this pause for rejoicing...I get to start polishing the dynamics, but boy it feels good right now.
Congrats...its a tough one. I hit it everyday waiting for it to come to speed...

M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
An American Hymn...just a great book 3 piece...

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You're getting ahead of me again! LOL

I'm still trying to straighten out the last couple lines of Come Back to Sorrento in Alfred's. And working a couple pieces in the Romantic Impressions first book, and one in a Jazz, Rags and Blues book. I will never, never be a blues player, I am afraid! laugh

-Mak

Kawai MP-4 digital

M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by IrishMak:
You're getting ahead of me again! LOL

I'm still trying to straighten out the last couple lines of Come Back to Sorrento in Alfred's. And working a couple pieces in the Romantic Impressions first book, and one in a Jazz, Rags and Blues book. I will never, never be a blues player, I am afraid! laugh
It's not that I perfected the previous pieces. But when I get a piece close, we move to the next piece while I still clean up the older stuff. laugh Eventually the older stuff gets finished...

But I think you will just love "An American Hymn"...

M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
double post...sorry

Hi everyone! I have just started in this forum and have just started Alfred's Adult book #3 and I am just loving it! There are easy pieces that are a bit rhythmic and Iam still learning to play music at a faster tempo when needed. My question to you is this: When finished with the Book 3- would it be easier" to go with classical or pop or is it at the musician/instructor's discretion? Thank you

[Linked Image]
Hi everyone! I have just started in this forum and have just started Alfred's Adult book #3 and I am just loving it! There are easy pieces that are a bit rhythmic and Iam still learning to play music at a faster tempo when needed. My question to you is this: When finished with the Book 3- would it be easier" to go with classical or pop or is it at the musician/instructor's discretion? Thank you

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
piano4, well my teacher started me on the john thompsons grade 3. i just started it so i cant give much information on it. seems challenging enough though:) i am still working on the chopin piece and the moonlight sonata at the end of alfreds 3 though. maybe i will get some practice in so i can pass them soon:) i am guessing when you are done with alfreds 3 you should ask your teacher what happens then?? find out what you want to do etc. and see which way you want to go.

If it ain't fun I ain't doin' it:)
Page 7 of 75 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 74 75

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission