2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (1200s, clothearednincompo, FredrikNilsen, busa, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, 6 invisible), 1,147 guests, and 257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 75 1 2 3 4 5 6 74 75
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
So what's the first piece in your Book 3, Mark? I have the All in One edition, so I know there will be differences.

-Mak

1889 Mason & Hamlin screwstringer upright
Kawai MP-4 digital

---------------------------
When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Mark, congrats, i think you will enjoy book 3 very much:) thumb

irishmak, how are you liking book 3??

and does anyone know what happens after book 3?? do we do grow wings and can fly or something as i am really hoping something great happens when i am finished with it laugh hehehehehe.

If it ain't fun I ain't doin' it:)
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
So far, book 3 is ok. Some pieces I certainly enjoy more than others. And I do like the extra theory stuff in the All in One book, since I do need to get up to speed on that stuff, too. Just got thru the diminished 7th chords theory stuff and am working on the Clementi Prelude. Will have to evaluate (after talking with my teacher) whether I want to tackle the Bach WTC Prelude that the book says you can after the Clementi (the Bach is in the Ambitious section at the back of the book). I will try to learn it at some point, but I am also working on some things outside the Alfred's book, so don't know how much more I want to pile on right now.

I believe, that, yes, after book 3, you do sprout wings.... laugh

-Mak

Kawai MP-4 digital

When life hands you lemons, throw them back and add some of your own. Stupid life.
M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by IrishMak:
So what's the first piece in your Book 3, Mark? I have the All in One edition, so I know there will be differences.
hi Mak, the first piece in book 3 is a goofy title called "A Super-Special Sorta Song". followed by Calypso Rhuba...

Mark...

Thanks again Funburger!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Ok, so the beginning is the same. Super Special song I have to admit was less than enthusiastic for me- the title and the lyrics were kinda lame. But I enjoyed playing Calypso Rhumba. I still go back to that one now and then.

-Mak

Kawai MP-4 digital

M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Well I'm on Fandango which is a very nice piece. I haven't been a fan of the Latin pieces but this one is a keeper...I added someone's U tube demo of it on the opening post in this thread...

Mark...

I
I
Originally posted by Mark...:
Well it took a while, offically started book 3 today. Still cleaning up the back end of book two...

Also the first anniversary with my teacher...
Mark, that is fantastic!

Also next week is my first anni. with my teach. I have 9 more songs left in book 2. Book 3 looks scary smile
She has been great and I have really progressed with her. I want to get her some'n maybe a gift card to her favourite catalog....

Did you get your teach anything?...

is there a protocol to this... anyone?

Therese

Good, better, best; never let it rest, 'till your good be better and your better - Best!
I
I
Originally posted by the...:
i am officially done with level 3! i started level 1 in may of last year and i finished level 3 a few weeks ago. now i'm just working on whatever my teacher gives me:

turkish march
chopin nocturne 20

things like that

i'm also writing music and scoring out songs, yeah.
well good for you. only 1 post.
um.... busy, huh smile

Therese

Good, better, best; never let it rest, 'till your good be better and your better - Best!
M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by IamElise:
[b] Well it took a while, offically started book 3 today. Still cleaning up the back end of book two...

Also the first anniversary with my teacher...
Mark, that is fantastic!

Also next week is my first anni. with my teach. I have 9 more songs left in book 2. Book 3 looks scary smile
She has been great and I have really progressed with her. I want to get her some'n maybe a gift card to her favourite catalog....

Did you get your teach anything?...

is there a protocol to this... anyone? [/b]
Nothing for the anniversary, but a music book and a gift card for Christmas...

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
um.... busy, huh
He registered in 2005. teee heeeee Talk about the silent type. he he

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear, Fuzzy Wuzzy had no hair.>>> Herman Munster
T
T
Originally posted by IamElise:
Originally posted by the...:
[b] i am officially done with level 3! i started level 1 in may of last year and i finished level 3 a few weeks ago. now i'm just working on whatever my teacher gives me:

turkish march
chopin nocturne 20

things like that

i'm also writing music and scoring out songs, yeah.
um.... busy, huh smile [/b]
haha, i'm a lurker at heart. i do check the forum everyday, i just rarely post!

anyway, i'm working on

take five
scott joplin's maple leaf rag
the prelude in c minor from bach's well tempered clavier
sonata pathetique (first movement) by beethoven

M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
My book 3 update:

Have been in book 3 for about a month and find the book very enjoyable for the most part. I thought these larger pieces would slow me down but so far so good. When I hit Serenade from atring quartet I went into a panic. I thought my left hand deserterd me, butby practicing the Alberti bass I was able to over come that issue.

Book 3 pieces with comments so far:

A Super Special Sorta Song - ok, not a favorite. I call it a paying your dues type piece,,, laugh

Calypso Rhumba - average, interesting

Fandango - Excellent, love this one. Sweet sounding...

Modern Sounds - OK, second part very nice.

Serenade - scary at first, lots of work. Very enjoyable and challenging piece.

A very Special day - written by Palmer who wrote the first piece, Average at best. I don't like this writers work.

A Classy Rag - very nice piece still working on...

Prelude in D Minor - listen to this magical sounding piece from a couple of U tube players:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBL11nS9Loc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxD_KAN0YNA&feature=related

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A Super Special Sorta Song - I was not very fond of this one myself. But I got thru it.

Calypso Rhumba - I like this one. Still go back and play it now and again.

Fandango - This one I was not thrilled with. It was ok.

Modern Sounds - Kinda neat sounding.

Serenade - Yeah, this one was a bit tough. Then again, my Alberti bass leaves a lot to be desired!

A very Special day - I wasn't especially fond of this one but my teacher liked the way I played it.

A Classy Rag - I had a hard time getting a good idea what this was supposed to sound like, and that made it hard to figure out.

Prelude in D Minor - I really, really like this one! My teacher has me play it a bit slower than the YouTube videos, but it really is very pretty. I think this is going to be a keeper.

When we got to the Prelude, she said, "Oh yes, eventually we will be playing a lot of Clementi!" Yeah, I see it coming (from when daughter took piano- different teacher). Clementi Sonatinas are basic repertoire. And they are scary!!

And moving along:

Star Spangled Banner- Different arrangement of this one. Teacher says it's one of the most difficult in any of their books. I do not like the tremolos! Still struggling here.

Make Up Your Mind- Back and forth in Major and related minor. Not too difficult. Got thru it quickly.

Swan Lake- just barely started on this one. Slow going right now.

So that's where I am in Alfred's 3.

-Mak

Kawai MP-4 digital

M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Thanks for the update IrishMak...

I really have a problem with the tremolos too...

I agree Prelude in D is a keeper...I just have to get it first! laugh Start it this week...

Mark

PS: I'm still cleaning up the back of book two. Trying to get Cannon under 6+ mins...

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Hi guys - I'm closing in on the end of book 2 and would like to know: (1) what you think overall of book 3 and (2) what you plan to do after you're done with book 3.

Thanks, JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by JohnFrank:
Hi guys - I'm closing in on the end of book 2 and would like to know: (1) what you think overall of book 3 and (2) what you plan to do after you're done with book 3.

Thanks, JF
The pieces for the most part are much better than book 2. If you have been reading my past posts I describe all the songs I've done so far.

As for after book 3 I'm not sure. I'd like to do more pop, blues, jazz, and rock stuff, but I'm going to let my teacher help me see where we go.

I have about a year to figure it out.

Mark

I
I
I have mixed feelings about book 3 - scared I guess. But then, that's how I felt about book 2 as I was ending book 1. Also I’m thinking of taking the summer off (I know its not advisable) to gallivant with the kids...

anyways... Mark I know this is weird - but, do you have a stop watch. I found that to be the only way I could build 'speed' - yes, I know I know thats what the metronome is for - but the 'nome never works for me when I am just learning a piece. that tick tick confuses me... confused

for ex. I am amazed I used to take :52 secs to play a :07sec measure.

maybe you could try the stop watch route...

PS: I'm still cleaning up the back of book two. Trying to get Cannon under 6+ mins...

Therese

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
In general, I like Book 3. (I have the All In One edition, btw) Some pieces are better (IMO) than others. I'm sure some of what I like, others will not, and vice versa. But a big part of that is individual taste. If you have used the first 2 and basically enjoyed them and felt they helped you, then I don't think you will be disappointed in 3. The Ambitous section at the end of 3 is much more complex than anything at the end of 2, but that's to be expected, and hopefully you are ready for them as you get to them.

As for after that, I don't know. I don't want to concentrate completely on classical, and my teacher is pretty much classically trained. She is more than willing to look at anything I want to, tho, and we have worked on some jazz, new age, etc along the way. She does get a bit "fussy" about some of the "arrangements" of pop songs, tho. Can't say as I blame her- some of them are just bad. LOL I know she has some more Clementi up her sleeve for me. And I have a few books and sheets I've collected, so we should be good for while.

-Mak

Kawai MP-4 digital

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Thanks guys for your input - any idea how long it will take to get thru 3 (on the average)?

JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Let's see, I started book 3 in late July of '07. The furthest I am right now is page 45, of 141 pages. Tho I am still working on a couple earlier pages, also. I figure this one is going to take me over a year to get finished with.

-Mak

Kawai MP-4 digital

Page 4 of 75 1 2 3 4 5 6 74 75

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission