Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
What's Hot!!
New in our online store...
Tea Light
Tea Light with Frosted Music Staff Candle Holder

-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
112 registered members (akc42, A441, Aaron W, anotherscott, 30 invisible), 1,129 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 49 of 50 1 2 47 48 49 50
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...] #2634099
04/18/17 12:46 PM
04/18/17 12:46 PM
Utah, USA
B
Birdgolf Online content
Birdgolf  Online Content
B
Utah, USA
I want to continue on to book three when I finish book #2. About half way now. Hope this thread will still be active. In you opinion how difficult is book three compared to book 2 in terms of time it will takes to learn new pieces?

Birdgolf
[Linked Image]
Currently working in Alfred's AAIO Bk 3
Alfred's Greatest Hits Bk 1
Masterwork Classics 1-2

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...] #2634108
04/18/17 01:26 PM
04/18/17 01:26 PM
Orange County, California
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I've been going through it actually, the theory anyway. I actually started a piece yesterday out of it called King Williams March. I was reviewing the section on Ornaments/Trills and this piece didn't look too complicated. So I thought I would give it a try and see if I could sight read through it. I can for the most part, but need to slow down on some hand position changes. I'll work through it though and add to the 40 piece challenge. I think Volume 3 is more interesting the Volume 2.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube | SoundCloud
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...] #2634192
04/18/17 06:53 PM
04/18/17 06:53 PM
U
Utkonos Offline
Utkonos  Offline
U
Hi Birdgolf, I am currently working through Book 3 and am up to Swan Lake. I don't think we are going any slower than we were in Book 2, but the "Ambitious Section" is a whole different story! Also, it looks like there are some difficult pieces coming up.

I think the intention of the authors is that you go through them at the same speed. I mean, the music gets harder, but the reader is supposed to have got better at playing the piano at the same time.

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...] #2634598
04/20/17 06:11 AM
04/20/17 06:11 AM
England
ID5894 Offline
ID5894  Offline
England
Hi guys, I'm a newbie three months into this and still in book 1 of course. I thought I'd post here because I have a book called "How To Play The Piano" written by James Rhodes that teaches you to play Bach's Prelude in C (BWV846) from scratch, a piece that, as you know, it's in the ambitious section of Alfred 3!

So I guess sometimes this is a matter of attitude.

Started January 2017. Working on Alfred Level 2 and Fundamental Keys. Yamaha P-115.
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...] #2663601
07/24/17 09:36 AM
07/24/17 09:36 AM
Ocala, FL
X
xyzzyFL Offline
xyzzyFL  Offline
X
Ocala, FL
Just starting book three and supplementing with Golden Standards for Easy Piano which I can run through most of the songs easily - just to improve my reading ability, and also adding one intermediate jazz piece which will take several weeks to finish. I find the Golden Standards book almost too easy, but the intermediate jazz almost too hard. Hoping to find something in between.

'Just Leap and the net will appear'
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...] #2720587
03/11/18 10:00 PM
03/11/18 10:00 PM
Detroit, MI
Astropiano Offline
Astropiano  Offline
Detroit, MI
I have been reading these posts since I started 1 1/2 ago taking piano from scratch. Very interesting comments and helpful insight from various posters. I am worked on Come Back to Sorento. Very challenging indeed. Love the song. I am starting to work on doing scales now 10 mns before working on songs in the book. I believe scales will help me progress easier. My piano teacher never mentions scales and it is only a 30 minute lesson per week. What do others here think of doing scales and lesson length?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Bluthner Model 2

Just play and the music appears to the ears!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Bluthner Model 2

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...] #2720706
03/12/18 01:32 PM
03/12/18 01:32 PM
Utah, USA
B
Birdgolf Online content
Birdgolf  Online Content
B
Utah, USA
Hi Astropiano, IMO scales, chords, and arps are a good thing to practice, edpically in the key you are playing your pieces. But most of your practice time should be spent on your songs. Cheers, Birdgolf.

Birdgolf
[Linked Image]
Masterwork Classics 1-2

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Birdgolf] #2720969
03/13/18 09:28 PM
03/13/18 09:28 PM
Detroit, MI
Astropiano Offline
Astropiano  Offline
Detroit, MI
Hi Birdgolf : I agree as I believe I have done well mostly doing the songs in Alfreds books. But I do think that practicing more scales in the keys we are playing could help considerably if done like 10 mins warm up. I wonder if anyone else will chime in? Cheers! Astropiano.

2018 Bluthner Model 2

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...] #2721538
03/15/18 08:31 PM
03/15/18 08:31 PM
Detroit, MI
Astropiano Offline
Astropiano  Offline
Detroit, MI
Working on "In the hall of the mountain king". Very interesting song with fingering that is tricky when first trying it out. Just stated it yesterday but it's going to take some work to get it right. Anyone else have any comments or ideas to make it easier?

2018 Bluthner Model 2

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Astropiano] #2723896
03/24/18 04:56 AM
03/24/18 04:56 AM
Utah, USA
B
Birdgolf Online content
Birdgolf  Online Content
B
Utah, USA
How’s your progress on ... mountain king?

Birdgolf
[Linked Image]
Masterwork Classics 1-2

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...] #2723903
03/24/18 06:31 AM
03/24/18 06:31 AM
Lafayette, Louisiana
jefferzzzz Offline
jefferzzzz  Offline
Lafayette, Louisiana
Hi everyone...

I am currently in book one of Alfred's Adult All-in-one as well as studying with Hoffman Academy. I am 40 years old and have played piano since I was 12. Self taught and by ear of course, with a hiatus of a few years here and there. I have always wanted to have piano lessons with a teacher but life has always thrown me curve balls and it just never happened. So Alfred's and Hoffman online will have to suffice. Anyhow, I am wondering what else you use besides Alfred's AIO to supplement? I feel like I am learning a lot but feel that it lacks in theory. I have ordered the greatest hits book 1 and 2 and will start those shortly. I do have a background in playing clarinet, so not a complete beginner and find myself flying through the lessons. Sorry for the lengthy intro, just wanted to give you an idea of my background.

I'm really just wondering what else besides Alfred's AIO are you doing?

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Birdgolf] #2724085
03/24/18 10:32 PM
03/24/18 10:32 PM
Detroit, MI
Astropiano Offline
Astropiano  Offline
Detroit, MI
Hi Birdgolf: I am working on the piece, but I had to take my daughter out to California to get her a place so she can finish her doctorate in PT. While out in California I stopped by to see Pianist Steve Rivera at Kim’s Pianos. He is a vary talented song writer and pianist. I discovered him on utube as he has some videos for Kim Piano Store as they sell Bluthners and he plays his own songs which are very nice. Very similar to George Winston. Look Steve up and buy some sheet music or his CDs. You won’t be disappointed. Also a very humble person. He personally let me practice on two concert grand pianos and gave me some piano tips on this song. It was great. I feel more confident I can get this song down soon. How about you. What have you been working on? Thanks.

2018 Bluthner Model 2

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...] #2724259
03/25/18 03:44 PM
03/25/18 03:44 PM
Utah, USA
B
Birdgolf Online content
Birdgolf  Online Content
B
Utah, USA
Enjoyed hearing Steve Rivera on YTube. Thanks.
Working on Danny Boy and Canon in D in Alfreds. Upon
Completion I plan to start Alfred’s #3 and Faber Piano Adventures
Level 4. Regards, Birdgolf

Birdgolf
[Linked Image]
Masterwork Classics 1-2

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Birdgolf] #2725234
03/29/18 09:51 PM
03/29/18 09:51 PM
Detroit, MI
Astropiano Offline
Astropiano  Offline
Detroit, MI
Those are both nice songs. I enjoyed playing them. Enjoy! Keep on those keys👏👏👏.

2018 Bluthner Model 2

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...] #2727878
04/10/18 08:35 AM
04/10/18 08:35 AM
Detroit, MI
Astropiano Offline
Astropiano  Offline
Detroit, MI
Birdgolf how you coming along? It would be nice to have company working on book three. Book 3 is even better than the two prior Alfreds books. I passed the mountain king and now finishing up a Chopin Prelude in A Major in ambitious section of book page 137. Rondo Blue looks ominous though to me right now. Anyone else chime in by all means. Cheers!

2018 Bluthner Model 2

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...] #2727884
04/10/18 08:48 AM
04/10/18 08:48 AM
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I've been working on Fur Elise and Prelude in A Major out of this book, in combination with the sheet music of Fur Elise from RCM 7 and the sheet music for Prelude in A Major from Chopin - An Introduction to His Piano Works (Alfred's - Palmer).

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube | SoundCloud
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: bSharp(C)yclist] #2728325
04/11/18 08:24 PM
04/11/18 08:24 PM
Detroit, MI
Astropiano Offline
Astropiano  Offline
Detroit, MI
I just finished up Chopin Prelude in A major in the ambitious section of Alfred’s Adult Leve 3. It’s a great piece to keep in your back pocket and a lot of people will have heard it sometime in their life to recognize it as a masterpiece. How difficult is Fur Elise? I believe that comes towards the end of the Alfred’s book. It sure seems like your making great progress. I enjoy your wonderful posts. cheers!

2018 Bluthner Model 2

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Astropiano] #2728330
04/11/18 08:45 PM
04/11/18 08:45 PM
Utah, USA
B
Birdgolf Online content
Birdgolf  Online Content
B
Utah, USA
Hey two piano guys....Congratulations on your progress on Chopin's Prelude in A Major. You are way ahead of me. I am still working on Danny Boy (can only play it at about 40 bpm) and Canon in D in book 2. Had to go out of town for three weeks and no piano. frown "Let's play Piano" guy on YTube has some fingering recommendations for Prelude in A Major if you are interested. Later, BG

Birdgolf
[Linked Image]
Masterwork Classics 1-2

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...] #2728439
04/12/18 09:42 AM
04/12/18 09:42 AM
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
@Astro - Fur Elise is difficult I think, and to play correctly. My teacher always finds something to improve. She's particular about keeping all sections consistent in tempo. It's important that you find what part you can play section B at comfortably, and make sure everything else is consistent, including the part with triplets. I do practice with a metronome at times to help things in check. I don't go much faster than 104-108 at this point for the 8th note. I can play section B cleanly with that tempo so far, but then section A feels too slow compared to what I typically hear. I think I prefer this piece a bit slower and a bit softer than what you might find online. The following is probably my favorite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAsDLGjMhFI

@Bird - Thanks, I'll take a look at that video. I really don't use the fingering in the Alfred's 3 book, but rather the fingering found in the Alfred's Chopin book.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube | SoundCloud
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: bSharp(C)yclist] #2728641
04/12/18 10:54 PM
04/12/18 10:54 PM
Detroit, MI
Astropiano Offline
Astropiano  Offline
Detroit, MI
Great posts guys. Danny Boy is a fun piece. Cannon in D is also nice piece. Keep at it Birdgolf as getting these pieces will really help you for Alfred’s 3 level book. Bsharpcyclist thank you for the suggestion on Fur Elise. Hey Jeffrezzzz. Don’t go away. We thank you for sharing about yourself here and looking forward to you getting into Book 3. Stay at it. I am working on Blue Rhondo. It’s a real hoot of a tune. A little hard on the fingers at times but we will get used to it. Cheers😉

2018 Bluthner Model 2

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...] #2729740
04/17/18 09:57 PM
04/17/18 09:57 PM
Detroit, MI
Astropiano Offline
Astropiano  Offline
Detroit, MI
Where is everyone? I passed Blue Rondo and now started a good old tune. I hope everyone is hanging in there moving forward with their piano. Cheers

2018 Bluthner Model 2

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...] #2734857
05/07/18 03:22 PM
05/07/18 03:22 PM
Utah, USA
B
Birdgolf Online content
Birdgolf  Online Content
B
Utah, USA
Finally found this thread, Yea ! Well boys, I finally finished Danny Boy in Book 2 (started it 22 Feb). One more to go and in book 3 !!!

Birdgolf
[Linked Image]
Masterwork Classics 1-2

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...] #2735085
05/08/18 12:23 PM
05/08/18 12:23 PM
Ocala, FL
X
xyzzyFL Offline
xyzzyFL  Offline
X
Ocala, FL
Working on Blue Rondo and enjoying learning it. Doesn't seem like there are too many of us working on Book 3, but glad to see some activity on this thread.

'Just Leap and the net will appear'
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...] #2736126
05/13/18 10:12 AM
05/13/18 10:12 AM
Detroit, MI
Astropiano Offline
Astropiano  Offline
Detroit, MI
I stopped checking this page since everyone disappeared on me. Great to see some people working on book 3 like me. Blue Rondo is cool. I finished Jass Ostinato! That one is really fun but I still have difficulty completing it without a mistake. I believe it will help in future when I try to tackle bogie woggie. I am trying to conquer The tap dancer. That one is crazy. Also started Rachmaninoff Op 3 no. 2 Prelude in C sharp minor since I am working on this key right now. Very cool sounds on that piece but more difficult than I was hoping for. cheers!!!!

2018 Bluthner Model 2

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...] #2739106
05/24/18 10:37 AM
05/24/18 10:37 AM
Detroit, MI
Astropiano Offline
Astropiano  Offline
Detroit, MI
Where is everyone? I hope your fingers are still tickling the keys🎶😎 I have now completed Soldiers joy and Toreador Song. The hornpipe song was challenging not to make a mistake like Jazz Ostinato was as it is fast playing with Sticcato in mainly left hand only. Now working on Rock a my Soul. Just keep playing. Love it. Love to hear any accomplishments for others.

2018 Bluthner Model 2

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Astropiano] #2739285
05/25/18 05:44 AM
05/25/18 05:44 AM
D
dubnde Offline
dubnde  Offline
D
Originally Posted by Astropiano
Where is everyone? I hope your fingers are still tickling the keys🎶😎 I have now completed Soldiers joy and Toreador Song. The hornpipe song was challenging not to make a mistake like Jazz Ostinato was as it is fast playing with Sticcato in mainly left hand only. Now working on Rock a my Soul. Just keep playing. Love it. Love to hear any accomplishments for others.

Working through The Stranger. First one that has really needed a lot of time for me. I normally take an hour (spread over 15 minutes slots over a day or two) to learn the notes and road map. This one is taking 4 times longer before I can even start to consider the proper rhythm; and then the dynamics to come.

Last edited by dubnde; 05/25/18 05:48 AM.

Casio CDP 130
Adult All-in-One Course: Lesson, Theory, Technique Level 1
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...] #2740971
05/31/18 10:35 AM
05/31/18 10:35 AM
Detroit, MI
Astropiano Offline
Astropiano  Offline
Detroit, MI
Just keep on hitting those keys Dubnde and it will all come to together. Soon you will be in book 3 before I Ky know it👌

2018 Bluthner Model 2

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...] #2741078
05/31/18 07:19 PM
05/31/18 07:19 PM
Utah, USA
B
Birdgolf Online content
Birdgolf  Online Content
B
Utah, USA
Currently working on the first three songs in the book: A Super-Special Sorta Song; Calypso Rhumba; and Fandango. Where is "The Stranger"?

Birdgolf
[Linked Image]
Masterwork Classics 1-2

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...] #2741657
06/02/18 10:06 PM
06/02/18 10:06 PM
Detroit, MI
Astropiano Offline
Astropiano  Offline
Detroit, MI
Birdgolf: Fandango is a keeper. The Stranger is in Book 1. There are some really good songs come my up for you like sheradaz. I am working and on Variations of the Sea Chanty. Very neat song. The prelude before confounds me. I have to keep at it diligently to get it right. Keep those keys bouncing. Cheers!😎👏🎼🎹

2018 Bluthner Model 2

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #3 [Re: Mark...] #2744467
06/14/18 05:00 PM
06/14/18 05:00 PM
Utah, USA
B
Birdgolf Online content
Birdgolf  Online Content
B
Utah, USA
Hey Book 3'ers...lets get this back on page 1. Does anyone think Masterwork Classics would be a good warmup and sight-reading book(s). I am about finished with Dozen-A-Day Vol 2. --Regards, Birdgolf

Birdgolf
[Linked Image]
Masterwork Classics 1-2

Page 49 of 50 1 2 47 48 49 50

Moderated by  BB Player 

New Topics - Multiple Forums
ATCL and LTCL diploma
by almo82. 06/21/18 01:24 AM
Performance Anxiety Group - Chicago edition.
by John305. 06/21/18 12:02 AM
About to Purchase a M & H AA
by DDobs. 06/20/18 10:34 PM
Buying an old Steinway and having it rebuilt
by asb37. 06/20/18 01:28 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Steingraeber
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics186,077
Posts2,726,355
Members90,422
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission