2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (drumour, Foxtrot3, johnesp, Hakki, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 7 invisible), 1,221 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1079053 01/07/05 09:53 AM
W
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
W
Hi folks! I asked this over in the "Virtuoso's Corner" and got some decent replies. But then I realized that Adult Beginners constitute a completely different group, so I thought I'd ask y'all the same question.

I was wondering if anyone keeps any particular piece always ready for those situations where you hear, "Oh, you play piano? Play something for me/us." If so, what is it?

I'm thinking of something that sounds good, and is instantly recognizable to non-musicians. So it doesn't really matter if it's one of those pieces that's very over-exposed.

The reason that I ask is that I returned to the piano after a long hiatus, and while I've been having fun reading new pieces and rediscovering old ones, I haven't concentrated on learning (or re-learning) any particular piece yet. But I think I should learn a piece like this and keep it "in my fingers" just for situations like I described.

As an adult returner these, "Play for me," moments are when one's sphincter tightens, brain waves go flat, etc. So having a piece ready could be a big help.

Do you have a piece like this, and if so, what is it?

Wynne
#1079054 01/07/05 10:18 AM
M
M
Originally posted by WynnBear:
As an adult returner these, "Play for me," moments are when one's sphincter tightens, brain waves go flat, etc. So having a piece ready could be a big help.

Do you have a piece like this, and if so, what is it?
So Wynne- You're looking for a sphincter loosening, brain inflating type of piece, right? I'm guessing most places you'll have to pay extra for that!!

Mark

New sig line in the works....
#1079055 01/07/05 10:38 AM
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Absolutely - I have Gerswhin PRelude II and Chopin Nocturne 72.1 memorized right now that I consider my "show" pieces. I would like to add Venetian Boat Song No. 2 to that category. I have others I can play from memory, but interestingly my ability to memorize seems to have decreased as my dependence on "reading" the music as I play has increased. Not sure if that's a good thing or not. I don't really care if the piece is recognizable or not. If they don't recognize it, it's their loss not mine. I learn and play for me, not others. Selfish, aren't I?

You will be 10 years older, ten years from now, no matter what you do - so go for it!

Estonia #6141 in Satin Mahogany
#1079056 01/07/05 11:14 AM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
yes, of course, everyone should have something to play right at the spot. for me, it is Bach prelude in C (WTC1) and i could play it any time anywhere without problem. fur elise is another one from now on as well. all of those are memorized btw.

#1079057 01/07/05 11:16 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
teachum, did Cindy ever accept your challenge to learn the Venetian Boat Song?

markb--The Count of Casio
#1079058 01/07/05 12:12 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Mine is Fur Elise, although the last two thirds is still a bit rough, and a few Christmas songs.

#1079059 01/07/05 12:15 PM
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Uh oh. I owe a response on that Venetian Boat Song, don't I?

Mmmm, let me think about it, as I'm getting overcommited. I've got a February recital and if I get my piece ready, it will be by the skin of my teeth.

And I can't skip this one because son just had his second lesson and -- get this! -- insists on playing in the recital. eek And he says if he plays, I have to play. :shudder: Plus, I'm supposed to start the Ravel Prelude Bernard recommended and the Malaguena 4-hands piece. But I'll try to put the boat song into the rotation, as it is lovely.

Anyway, Wynnbear, yes, absolutely, I always try to have two-three songs ready to go at all times. I don't care if they are recognizable, so long as they *rock.* I have found that "flashy" gets the best response. Oh, well.

Right now, I can do Chopin's Polinaise in A flat major (the easy one, not the hard one), and Mozart's K-545 Andante. The latter is too long and monotonous to wow the folks I play for, though. I played it for my mom over Christmas, and when I finished she said, "Wow. That's long." wink

I'll replace it with the third movement (Allegro) as soon as I can get it nailed down.

#1079060 01/07/05 12:38 PM
V
V
"Embraceable You", for my sister; "The Band Played On", easy to remember and everyone knows it; "Sonatina in G Major" Clementi; my first piece more than 2 pages memorized and ready, anytime, anyplace, sorta but I still haven't "set" the nail, a few more details on one trill section that I just can't get right and......"Fascination" to a Om pah pah 3/4 beat from the Bastien's Repetoire Book 2. Terrible arrangement but everyone knows the tune and it is the only version I know for now.

#1079061 01/07/05 12:47 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
None. If I did, then people would want to hear me play. I'm going to milk the I-just-started-lessons-recently-and-can't-play-much-yet excuse as long as I can.

#1079062 01/07/05 02:42 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Right now it's the middle movement of Beethoven's Appassionata. I can also play the LvB Op. 49/2 sonata from memory.

I used to have a killer repertoire. I really did. I think age-related hormonal issues dissolved that part of my brain that a) stored the memorized pieces and b) allowed me to learn new ones much faster than I do now. Yep, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

There are no shortcuts to any place worth going. - Beverly Sills
#1079063 01/07/05 02:44 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by markb:
None. If I did, then people would want to hear me play. I'm going to milk the I-just-started-lessons-recently-and-can't-play-much-yet excuse as long as I can.
Ditto!! laugh

Support our troops!
#1079064 01/07/05 03:14 PM
V
V
I hear you Mark, I NEVER volunteer a thing. Why just this past x-mas we had several friends over asking me to play some Christmas pieces I was working on. They happened to see the open book, ALWAYS hide the books if you don't want people to nose around the piano looking at the music you're working on. Of course this can work in your favor if you WANT to play for an audience to test your skills and mettle.

I just told them the piano was out of tune, which it most certainly is among a laundry list of other problems and that was that! Truly it is getting so bad it gives new meaning to PSO (piano shaped object). I'm about ready to buy a keyboard frown to practice until my new rebuilt arrives.

#1079065 01/07/05 03:42 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Vintage wrote: "ALWAYS hide the books if you don't want people to nose around the piano looking at the music you're working on."

Unless you just put Row Your Boat on the music rail. Then *no one* will bother to ask you to play.

My piano is so out of tune it's embarrassing. Even when it's in tune, it's not really in tune, so I, too, have a PSO. I recently ordered a Casio digital piano to practice on for times when volume control is important. I guarantee that this cheapo digital piano will sound better than my acoustic. Of course, it's still more fun to play a real piano. It makes me feel more musician-like.

#1079066 01/08/05 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
Right now, I can do Chopin's Polinaise in A flat major (the easy one, not the hard one), and Mozart's K-545 Andante. The latter is too long and monotonous to wow the folks I play for, though. I played it for my mom over Christmas, and when I finished she said, "Wow. That's long." wink
Yep, that Mozart K545 Andante is too long and slow to play for somebody who's just sitting there and listening to you, but it's perfect for background music. It's a key piece in the collection of pieces I play for wedding preludes. It's pretty and it really fills the time.

I'm just starting to memorize pieces for the first time ever. I'm a good reader and it's seductively easy to just sit down and play something from the music. But it is nice to have something ready when somebody asks you to play. Since I started taking lessons again, I've been working to memorize Debussy's Reverie and Kabalevsky's Four Rondos. Both pieces are about 95% memorized, but I despair of that last 5%. I'm just starting to memorize a Chopin Nocturne--Op. 37, No. 1, I think. (I may have that opus number wrong. If that's a hard piece, assume I have erred.) wink

BTW, the Reverie is another perfect wedding prelude piece--dreamy, pretty, and with no disturbing dissonances that would be inappropriate on such a happy day. smile

Mary Anna
http://www.maryannaevans.com

Mary Anna Evans
Author of the Faye Longchamp mysteries
http://www.maryannaevans.com
Blogging at maryannaevans@blogspot.com
#1079067 01/08/05 09:07 PM
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I guess if I have to play something, I'd play Fur Elise or CPE Bach's Solfeggietto, both not up to par, but both memorized. Oh, I have Burgmuller's "Arabesque" as well.

Hey, just thought of other ones..........my major scales, arpeggios, and some Hanon. Do those count?? laugh That would probably keep people from asking me again!

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission