2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
68 members (accordeur, Andrew E., beeboss, 36251, anotherscott, AlphaTerminus, 15 invisible), 1,351 guests, and 645 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

Super-hunky's thread yesterday got me to realizing that Recital #12 is just around the corner. eek Submissions will open up Nov. 1 and the recital itself will be posted Nov. 15th.

If you are new to AB forum and asking yourself the question, "what recital?", we are talking about the quarterly online recital that AB forum has been hosting successfully now for three years. Check out the "important topics for adult beginners" thread for links to past recital zip files, and consider contributing to this next recital. All you need is a way of recording in mp3 format and a willingness to stand in the withering glare of the Red Dot. :p

As for the oldtimers, how are y'all doing? I'm starting to feel some panic myself. I know what piece I want to play, but it's only 95% there. Worse yet, with all the construction going on at my home, I don't know when I'm going to be able to get quiet time with no kids around to try to record. help

But I'll leave you with this tantalizing bit of news. *IF* I get a good recording of my intended piece, it will be the first piece that I have ever recorded that has--gasp!--actual staccato in it. eek

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Doesn't look good for me. I've been battling tendonitis in my left thumb (hard to believe how much that can hurt). I'm not sure how I did it, but it prevents me from playing and isn't healing very quickly at all. frown

------
If you knew what you were doing, you'd probably be bored.
- Fresco's Law
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Monica K.:
I know what piece I want to play, but it's only 95% there.
Only 95% there? That gives you about a month to work on the remaining 5%, which probably puts you in better shape than many other potential participants - and which, if as I suspect (perhaps presumptuously) it might just be an Eunaudi piece, should be "child's play" for you smile

Worse yet, with all the construction going on at my home, I don't know when I'm going to be able to get quiet time with no kids around to try to record. help
While on vacation to the Outer Banks in Sept. I bought a CD at the gift shop at the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse that has beautiful, relaxing original piano music with pre-recorded seashore sounds in the background (waves lapping, seagulls calling, thunder booming, etc.) which is a real joy to listen to - maybe you could do the same with your piece, with the background consisting instead of all those delightful and harmonious sounds that one's offspring make so often throughout the average day wink - maybe not frown .

My piece - a song of celebration and rejoicing and the most popular of all jewish folk songs - is already recorded and waiting for the Recital to open for submissions.

Regards, JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I would love to participate in a recital but I fear I would not be able to get a decent recording. Why?
1. I am a complete mess if I know or even think anyone is listening or will listne to me play.

2. I am a perfectionist-therefore no recording will ever be good enough-LOL
But this will be something to work toward for futre recitals.

“The doubters said, "Man cannot fly," The doers said, "Maybe, but we'll try,"
And finally soared in the morning glow while non-believers watched from below.”
― Bruce Lee
Originally posted by Kymber:
I would love to participate in a recital but I fear I would not be able to get a decent recording. Why?
1. I am a complete mess if I know or even think anyone is listening or will listne to me play.
There is only one way to get better at it, just do it !!
Originally posted by Kymber:
2. I am a perfectionist-therefore no recording will ever be good enough-LOL
Welcome to the club, no reason not to submit however.

One of the best things about these recitals is getting submissions in at whatever level you are capable of, and then as time goes by you get to see how your recital submissions improve.

------
If you knew what you were doing, you'd probably be bored.
- Fresco's Law
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
DeepElem
Well I guess my excuses won't hold up here :rolleyes:
Thanks for the encouragement. smile

― Bruce Lee
O
O
I will submit Yann Tiersen's "Comptine d'un autre ete: l'apre-midi" I started practicing it after encouragement at the last recital from Monica K and Bluekeys. It won't be a world class performance. It's perhaps a bit over my head. But hey, isn't that how progress is made? By pushing the envelope?

Don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Mine is 70% there, but the piece will be a small surprise from me, looking back at my earlier submissions smile

Mateusz Papiernik
https://maticomp.net
"One man can make a difference" - Wilton Knight
Kawai CN21 (digital), Henryk Yamayuri Kawai NX-40 (grand)
epf Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Well, I'm working on a piece that I hope to have ready in time. It's about 80% there (not as close as Monica's). I have the fingering right and am working on tempo right now. The awkward part is that there are several jumps of over an octave that have to be made very quickly -- up and back again. Still working on hitting the RIGHT notes every time without slowing down.

I do have a fall back, but Plan B is not as nice as Plan A.

Ed

"...a man ... should engage himself with the causes of the harmonious combination of sounds, and with the composition of music." Anatolius of Alexandria
[Linked Image]
YouTube Channel
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
epf
I look forward to hearing plan A wink

― Bruce Lee
Ackkkkkkk!

Hmmmmm.

Ohhhhh!

Hmmmmm, again!

Well, we'll just see about this.

I might be able to get a Chopin Waltz finished up in time. It's one I sort of dabbled at years ago, but recently decided to finish it off (Op. 64 no. 2). Then again, if the next all-Chopin recital is the waltzes perhaps I should wait and put it in there. They've done preludes, nocturnes and now etudes, so perhaps waltzes are next!

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
recently decided to finish it off (Op. 64 no. 2). [/QB]
Finish it off? PianoDad! I'm appalled! I've heard of murdering a piece but this is *premeditated*!

Aren't you afraid all the Chopin-o-philes on this board will be out for your head?

eek laugh laugh laugh

Adult Amateur Pianist

My only domestic quality is that I live in a house.
thumb

Actually, Chopin usually finishes ME off.

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
I have something that has to be ready for a gig the last weekend in October, so that'll cover my, uh, er, recital piece smile

Someday I might even get back to a "big" (for me) piece like The Entertainer, instead of these short 32-bar folk tunes laugh

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I am really looking forward to the upcoming recital. For once, I am putting a lot of time and effort into my entry.

I will be submitting an original composition entitled "Welcome to Magicland" which will be the opening theme for my upcoming album.

Yes, I decided that I'm going to make an album of around 10-12 original and improvised tunes that all carry a haunting/mystical theme and melody.

If your reading this and are wondering "How can he make an album, he's still a beginer and kind of still sucks" eek , well my answer would be that I plan on doing it as sort of a bench mark of my progress. Even if I only end up giving the CD's away to friends as cheap X-mas gifts, it is still is something I want to do.

I'll somehow think of a way to release the other tunes on the forum in some shameless self promoting fashion I'm sure! wink .

Every three months I try to talk myself into doing this, but seriously, I'm not sure I play anything well enough for a public performance. I've heard the Adult "Beginners" out there in previous recitals, and most of them don't sound so Beginner to me!

Charles Walter Queen Anne 1520 (polished cherry)
Roland fp-4 (black)

OP Offline

True, diinin, but if there is anything I find disappointing about the recital, it's that we don't have enough "true beginners" playing in them. That can be rectified, though, easily enough.

I still remember one of the early recitals when funburger posted a piece when she had all of, what, three weeks (?) experience on piano. It was wonderful, and I wish we had more submissions like that. smile

Bottom line: The only comparison ANYBODY needs to worry about is against one's earlier performances and/or abilities. smokin

G
G
Originally posted by Monica K.:
True, diinin, but if there is anything I find disappointing about the recital, it's that we don't have enough "true beginners" playing in them.
I find this a bit disappointing about the ABF in general, but that's a different topic and probably it's just me anyway.
(It can be quite reassuring to learn that others struggle with very similar problems, but of course the exact opposite happens if the ABF gets taken over by players that are adults and beginning concert pianists.)

My piece for my planned recital premiere is about 10% ready, but I'm still trying to get that up to 12%.

Beginner, started in Summer 2006, self-taught
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Well, I can happily say that I do have something ready to submit. If I was more experienced I would simply post it to the bar but I'm afraid I can't count on anything else getting done in time.

I'm hoping that aw2pp can manage to get something together to submit. Hey, maybe we can even give his daughter honorary "adult" status and have a father/daughter entry.

Roland FP-7 / Pianoteq 4.5.1
[Linked Image]
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
I'm working diligently on Mozart's Sonata in C (K545). It's really over my head, but I'm planning to put my ego on hold and submit the best version I can get by 11:59 on the 14th. I'm definitely treating this one as a learning experience.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Pianos - Organs - & Keyboards, Oh My!
Selling Hammond D100 (think B3) Organ & Leslie HL722!
---------------------
Our Fall 2021 Free Newsletter is Out , see it here!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Baldwin L vs. Steinway A
by noyes - 10/26/21 06:08 PM
New Steinway O- Yeti Revelation Scoring Grand
by newer player - 10/26/21 01:54 PM
Difficulty Adjusting to a lighter weight piano
by CoffeeTea21 - 10/26/21 12:57 PM
Non-creaky beginner piano setup?
by cai.linn - 10/26/21 12:56 PM
Upright Dampers - thin wood backing
by jkess114 - 10/26/21 12:27 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,756
Posts3,142,219
Members103,122
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission