2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (benkeys, Burkhard, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, 11 invisible), 1,864 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
The other day Mrs. Hunky just flat out asked me "how'd you end up playing that spongy spaceship music anyway?".

I had to laugh as I knew exactly what she meant by that.

"You mean hauntingly beautiful/romantic music" I replied.

"Yeah sure, if that's what you call it" she said.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that I listen to all types of music throughout the day. Anything from the phunk junkeez to Mark Knopfler and everything in between but certainly not the goofy stuff I play on the piano.

The thing is, the type of music I am playing right now is nothing similar to what I listen to on my own so I'm wondering where it is coming from?.

Also, I am free to play anything I want on the piano but I always seem to play the spacey stuff and I don't know why. It seems to be the only melodies that pop into my mind when I am playing so that's what I end up with.

I'm wondering, is anyone else at least curious as to why you play the type of music you do?.

Is the music you play the same as the stuff you listen to during the day or are you at a loss as to why you play the music you do like me.

D
D
Listening to music is a passive experience, whereas playing it is very active. You become part of the music, and it flows from you. That is an extremely different feeling than you get when you just listen. Which is why I personally like playing some classical, whereas I wouldn't dream of listing to it on the radio.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I'm pretty stuffy about what I listen to and play - classical and classical. I grew up with the sound of classical music in my home.

I recently discovered that I was apparently born with a slight hearing loss. Ever since I was a little girl, I've had a hard time picking out conversations in noisy venues and I have a slight loss in the the treble range. I think my distaste for popular music may stem from the fact that I can barely make out the words while the bass dominates what I hear. Basically I hear mostly boom boom in popular music so I just don't like it. I even have the radio in my car adjusted for very, very low bass. I have no difficulty listening to classical music but the sound of the announcer's basso voice drives me up a wall.

Best regards,

Deborah
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
My problem is that I love too many types of music. I can sit for my two hour practice in the morning and do nothing but play blues and think, "damn, I should just concentrate on blues and learn it in all the keys"...or rock and think "damn, I should work with my Korg and drum tracks and work out a cd of rock songs"...or jazz and think "damn, I really should really study this stuff so i have some sort of idea what I'm doing"... or "space music" and think "damn, I should try and do another Snippits cd cause this stuff is so much fun" or songs and think "damn, I could just sit and write and play songs forever"... or classical and think "damn, I should just take some more lessons and really push at becoming a good classical pianist.".

I think it's too bad I don't just concentrate on one kind of music because then maybe I would actually get good at it instead of dwelling in music mediocrity... :rolleyes:

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I too like all kinds of music. Believe it or not, I like Classical music.

However, lately I’ve taken a particular liking to Blues. In fact, I’ve improvised a new Blues tune called “I’m on my way”, with lyrics and all. It sounds so good to me I just can’t believe I’m the one playin it and singin it. laugh

When I get it perfected I’ll record a video and put it YouTube so you all can listen to it and tell me what you think. smile

Ain’t music fun! smile

Take care,

Rickster

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Peyton:
I think it's too bad I don't just concentrate on one kind of music because then maybe I would actually get good at it instead of dwelling in music mediocrity... :rolleyes:
That pegs me out quite well, especially for guitar, with one exception, I am barely approaching mediocrity. laugh

Great observation Hunky!! I rarely listen to the spongy spaceship music, but yet most of what I attempt to play falls into the classical or spacey spongeship music genre.

I bet there is Freudian explanation, maybe it’s just our id trying to manifest?

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Originally posted by mr_super-hunky:
Is the music you play the same as the stuff you listen to during the day or are you at a loss as to why you play the music you do like me.
I play the music I love to listen to during the day, although there is also a lot of music I enjoy listening to (rock, mostly) that I do not attempt to play.

As for *why*, that's easy. New age/ neoclassical/ contemporary piano solo music is the most beautiful music ever written. :p

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
To borrow an expression from another thread, I'm gobsmacked by the kind of music I play. eek

I had every intention of learning blues, rock, and pop when I started, but about 90% of what I play is either text book classical like Bach, Beethoven and Clementi, or modern quasi-elevator music like Einaudi, Tierson, or Senneville/Toussaint. I do have a couple Beatles songs and a Rolling Stones song in my rep, but no blues and no jazz. Even the "rock" stuff is really mamby-pamby ballads.

I keep telling myself I'll move to more popular stuff someday, but I enjoy what I play, so no hurry.

BTW - I hardly ever listen to the kind of music I play.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Monica K.:

As for *why*, that's easy. New age/ neoclassical/ contemporary piano solo music is the most beautiful music ever written. :p
Now that's an unbiased, lowkey, impartial understatement that we probably never would have guessed :p

But, then there's alot to be said for consistency wink

I would agree - except that I would insert the words "some of" between "is" and "the" smile

Regards, JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.

I only wrote it that way because I knew it would get your goat, John Frank. wink

O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
If I do listen to music while I drive or on my ipod at the gym it will be mostly rock...stones, doors, zepplin, and many others. Rarely do I listen to classical on the radio but that is what I have most enjoyed playing on the piano until I found this forum.

I have always enjoyed playing classical music on the piano simply because I find it fun and challenging to learn and play. I love how it feels under my fingers.

Since finding this forum, I have been motivated to learn other types of music...jazz, new age, and some older tunes such as "Last Date" by Floyd Cramer, etc.. Even so, classical remains my first favorite type of music to play for the sheer fun of playing the piano.

Jeff
[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Monica K.:
I only wrote it that way because I knew it would get your goat, John Frank. wink
It worked - goat gotten! laugh JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
I mostly listen to rock and 70s stuff on the radio, but I think it's because I like to hear what I've heard before (I guess I haven't listened to new music since 1979!). If I listen to classical, it is usually a CD of something I'm trying to learn or particularly like. I can listen to the same piece 10 times in a row if I like it.

I rarely try to play popular music on the piano. I just never sound like Billy Joel. Classical is fun and challenging for me, and I have no idea what Chopin really sounded like, so I don't get as discouraged!

Nancy

Estonia 168
B
B
I listen to many kinds of music, but they have nothing to do with the one I play at the piano.

Maybe because it's difficult to have piano versions of some of the music I like..... (How would some gothic-metal piece sound at the piano?)

I play mostly classical (Which I love and listen, too), but mainly listen to gothic metal, industrial folk, after punk, alternative... smile

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Hey Boira, I'm actually working on a new rendition of Evanessence "My Immortal". I'll be sure to post it up somewhere when it's done. Maybe you would like it if your into beautiful "haunting" gothic melodies.

1RC Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
When I was younger, I never suspected I would become such a fan of classical music. There was no classical influence in my youth.

I like listening to it as much as playing (well, playing is more fun). When I improvise, what I hear is definitely classical influence... But my fingers don't always comply. With improv, I'm usually happy enough if it has some flow, and so it winds up on the slower side.

B
B
Originally posted by mr_super-hunky:
Hey Boira, I'm actually working on a new rendition of Evanessence "My Immortal". I'll be sure to post it up somewhere when it's done. Maybe you would like it if your into beautiful "haunting" gothic melodies.
WOW, I'll be sure not to miss that smile

La Terra Santa by Haggard and The Sacrament by HIM also have beautiful gothic melodies, and even are played on the piano in the original songs laugh
Nightwish have also tons of "haunting" gothic melodies on the keyborad... uhmmm *brain starts working frenzy* wink

Edited for typos, as always :rolleyes:

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
I'm really bored and my son woke me up shouting at some stranger he was trying to kill somewhere across the country on some stupid video game, so I began to see what was on page 300. This thread was my favorite of the page, as it totally fits for me. I never listened to a single piece of classical music, yet that's just about all I'm playing now smile.

Even better though is Monica's response. And this is from 10 years ago. Enjoy smile.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
W
W
I like playing classical on piano but don’t listen to it elsewhere.
I like to play all sorts though - this one that sounds great on piano but it’s too advanced for me at the moment
https://youtu.be/Se_zHkzs5HM

6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Blast from the past...

Spongy Spaceship Music - nice description of New Age/Neoclassical/Minimalist/whatever music wink

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission