2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, 12 invisible), 1,877 guests, and 261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
JEANNE - Thanks for the info on the "casters" We like the looks compared to casters. May go to our wood guy for further ideas. Will let you know if we find out something worthwhile to share. Sarasota

J
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally posted by TomFL:
I've enjoyed reading your posts during your quest - the ups AND the downs, and I really enjoyed the pictures you've posted of the new (old) arrival. Your captions made me chuckle out loud.

You should write stories in your spare time - if you have any, now that the piano has arrived!
Tom:

"You should write stories in your spare time." You shouldn't encourage me - I'm guilty of having written some of the longest PW posts. :rolleyes:

The photo captions you chuckled at were most likely the ones Lloyd contributed.

As far as writing talent or lack thereof, writing was one of my first loves and ambitions. (If a 9 year old is capable of having ambitions.)

(Digressing) I was surprised and pleased some years ago when my boss - out of the blue - asked if I would do a newsletter for the company I work at. Oh, yes, I would! I believe there are things that are just meant to be, or that one may attract somehow, and this was one of those things. smile *I also believe this is why I have the piano I do and not certain other pianos that, for one reason or another, weren't meant for me.*

(Further Digressing) I am and have been for the past 15 years or so, the entire newsletter team for the great little company I work at. It's just a newsletter for employees only - company news along with a fair bit of "Employee News". We do have fun with it, but it can also be a lot of work. (I bet this sounds familiar to Frank, our PW Webmaster Extraordinaire.) This writing "assignment" is quite enough for me to handle and, as you suggested, I'll be very busy playing my piano!

Jeanne W

Music is about the heart and so should a piano be about the heart. - Pique

1920 Steinway A3
My Piano Delivery Thread:
https://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/107473/1.html
J
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J
Aaron:

In another thread, you talked about how loud and piercing Steinways sound in people's homes.

I was afraid it was going to be too LOUD for our livingroom. It turns out, I actually wish it had a bit more power. In spite of the fact I'm wondering if I'm going to wind up with hearing fatique, I find I have a fond wish of wanting - at appropriate times - to make the floors rumble and the walls shake. (Derick - Your 9 foot Bosendorfer does that, right?)

Lloyd says the piano is plenty loud enough.

Aaron (you out there?)we are miles apart in opinion!

Maybe I should have gotten a B - or even - the Damn Big 9 footer! We'd just need to get rid of some of the furniture in our livingroom. (and a bigger bank account). laugh

It's hard for me to stay away from the piano. I play in the morning before going to work and as soon as I come home from work. Lloyd had to "shut me down" the first night IT arrived. It was after midnight and I was on my way upstairs to turn in for the night but passed the piano on the way and, well, you know, I touched a couple of keys, listening to the beautiful tonal quality… Next thing I knew I was sitting at the piano adding a few more notes to a piece of music. Shortly thereafter I heard a LOUD thumping noise coming through the ceiling from above. Oh. That was Lloyd, signalling me to STOP! (I did.)

Bye now - Gotta go (guess where). laugh

Jeanne W

P.S. BeeLady: It's the long A a/k/a A3 - 6 foot 4 inches. Does not have 3 bridges.

1920 Steinway A3
R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Jeanne,

Damn, girl! You started this thread last night at 10 and you're up to 3 pages already?? Is that a record? laugh

I haven't read all the posts yet, but saw the pictures. FABULOUS!! Hey, that house of yours looks just like the one in Mass. that we moved my Mason & Hamlin out of. Makes ya think!

Beautiful piano. cool I'll write back whem I have time to read the whole thread. Sincere congrats!

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Congratulations Jeanne on your piano! What beautiful woodgrain. And your home is beautiful too! Your husband is wonderful to have been so supportive and involved in your quest.

I always play barefoot so pedal comfort is important. My Fandrich & Sons grand has such easy and smooth pedalling. They redo the whole pedal/lyre part so you don't really have to "work" at it or think about it too much. It's easier than my Yamaha upright. Even the Una Corda pedal is easier, compared to that of my teacher's.

My grand is getting it's first tuning on the 6th, exactly one month after delivery.

I'm so happy for you! smile smile

JPM Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Beautiful piano, Jeanne. Congratulations and happy playing!

JP

"Piano music should only be written for the Bechstein."
-- Claude Debussy
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
congratulations on a gorgeous piano. Best wishes!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Jeanne, let me add to the long list of compliments!!

You also have a beautiful and most befitting home:
"real wood" people have always been my own kind of people laugh and you would perhaps feel quite at home if you'd ever visit me here in Canada!

Enjoy....and keep Lloyd tapping his feet from upstairs...... laugh

norbert

T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Jeanne - I really laughed reading about your feet and the pedals. I had some interesting conversations about that with (I think) FrankR awhile back. I really noticed a difference from my old spinet's pedals to my old teacher's Steinways. She had THREE! And of course the Estonia has a different pedal feel than the Steinway too. Having big feet doesn't help, I'm here to tell you. I do play with a slipper. Just feels better to me. I have had my piano for going on 3 months now and I still can't walk by it without playing it. I get it up first thing in the morning. Put it down for a nap before I leave for work. Wake it up again as soon as I get home from work, and put it to bed as late as possible. My hubbie said, "You just have a hard time closing it down for the night, don't you?" Yup! I cover it whenever I'm not playing it for a few hours! Mostly because we live on a gravel road and I don't want dust getting in and on it.

I'm off to play too. TGIF! Big snow storm on the way. I may be snowed in with my piano all weekend.

You will be 10 years older, ten years from now, no matter what you do - so go for it!

Estonia #6141 in Satin Mahogany
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Beautiful!! How happy you must be!! Lovely setting for it as well. Now you can give MUSICALES in your home and thrill the guests! Enjoy!

Ralph

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Jeanne --

Following the progress of your A3 through weeks of PW postings, its delivery to your living room and the reactions of your PW friends to the big event has evoked lots of nice memories for me. I also followed a long path to the Steinway B I own now (though I'm about 8 states short of your 11-state mystery tour). When I found it, I knew within 5 minutes that it was The One. It sounded a little brighter in my music room than I remembered from the showroom, but some new drapes took care of that. Even now, nearly 3 years after it arrived, I can't walk by without indulging the same one-note "plink" that you describe (usually a nice fat bass note). It gets better with age, just like we will.

We have one other thing in common. My dad's name was Loyd (his frugal Norwegian parents left off the extra L), and he would have been as happy about our instrument as your husband seems to be about yours. I gather Lloyd isn't as musically inclined as you are -- it's very unusual to have someone like that join you in endless weekend treks up and down the coast in search of the perfect instrument. I think you won twice on this lottery.

Thanks again for sharing the pictures of your beautiful instrument. Have lots of fun breaking it in.

smile

Phil Bjorlo
J
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J
Thanks, again, everyone for the nice posts! Couple of notes...

Derick: That's your idea for caster "plates" instead of cups? That was a way cool brainstorm you had!

Curry:

A "lowly Bosendorfer 214? Surely you jest? I hope you won't refer to your piano that way again - Bosendorfers are WONDERFUL pianos, I know you don't mean it and you'll break your piano's heart suggesting such things!

You also asked about the kind of bass strings on my piano. I'll check to see what kind of strings they are. I wrote it down somewhere. I'm pretty sure Lee said they're Mapes. And my little piano has Steinway hammers. Right or wrong, Lloyd is convinced I can somehow tell the difference between Steinways with S&S and Renner hammers. He kept reminding me it was always the pianos with S&S hammers - voiced a bit mellow - that I fall in love with. Kinda hard to believe anyone could tell the difference, but maybe he's right... This is the way it seemed to work out and FWIW I did finally buy a S&S with S&S hammers. (Oh, no! Hope this doesn't start yet *another* S&S vs Renner hammer threads.)

Joe: You say our house "looks just like one in Mass" you moved your Mason & Hamlin out of. Our house has a wonderfully romantic story attached to it. We were told the couple who built this house (circa 1915) stayed in a house during their honeymoon in France that they fell in love with. When they returned home, they had plans for the house drawn up and had it built. So there's supposed to be a double of this house in France somewhere. If there's another one out there somewhere, I'd love to know about it.

Jeanne W

1920 Steinway A3
K
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K
Originally posted by Jeanne W:

And my little piano has Steinway hammers. Right or wrong, Lloyd is convinced I can somehow tell the difference between Steinways with S&S and Renner hammers. He kept reminding me it was always the pianos with S&S hammers - voiced a bit mellow - that I fall in love with. Kinda hard to believe anyone could tell the difference, but maybe he's right... This is the way it seemed to work out and FWIW I did finally buy a S&S with S&S hammers. (Oh, no! Hope this doesn't start yet *another* S&S vs Renner hammer threads.)

Jeanne W
This makes a big and obvious difference that I am sure you would notice.

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
New and Used Piano Sales, Expert Rebuilding and Service
www.pianocraft.net
check out www.sitkadoc.com/ and www.vimeo.com/203188875
www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Jeanne... I'm so pleased that I found such a delightful thread to read before signing off for the evening (and I'm also pleased that it's a Friday night!!)

Sincere congratulations to both you and Lloyd on such a magnificent accomplishment! Your new S&S is a beauty and compliments the elegant room where it resides.

I wish you many years to delight in your musical talents and may Lloyd enjoy every note!!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Jeanne, I'm sure glad you finally took delivery. I know you looked a long time and took "test drives" all over the country, and had to worry throughout the rebuilding process, but the one you finally picked looks really great. Congratulations!

But enough about Lloyd. :rolleyes:

That Steinway sure looks good. smile

Very happy for you, really. It is beautiful, as is your house. Hope you stay in love with it.

Bob

J
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally posted by RKVS1:
Jeanne, I'm sure glad you finally took delivery. I know you looked a long time and took "test drives" all over the country, and had to worry throughout the rebuilding process, but the one you finally picked looks really great. Congratulations!

Bob
Thanks, Bob, for the congrats. smile

To clarify a few things...

The "test drives" all occured on the east coast. And they were all *drives* - no air trips. Many MANY miles on the car. I encourage anyone who can do this TO DO SO - to play as many kinds of pianos before deciding which is for you! There are SO many wonderful pianos out there, and each has its own distinct personality.

I didn't have to "worry" throughout the rebuilding process. The piano was fully rebuilt when I bought it. I was immediately struck as feeling a "part" of the piano, like we were operating as one. (I found a soul mate! smile ) The waiting part was due to having it refinished to a dark mahogany. Originally it was light mahogany.

In fact, there's *no way* I'd ever go the route of commiting to the purchase of a piano *prior* to its rebuilding. That is, a piano that a rebuilder had no intention of rebuilding, until a person, i.e. *me* , was waiting in the wings for. But that's just me.

I appreciate there are some great piano rebuilders out there who will allow you to have "first choice" or "first refusal" - whatever you want to call it on a piano to be rebuilt. That puts you first in line for a particular piano being rebuilt but you are not obligated to buy it. But that's not the route I took for this piano. I just wouldn't feel comfortable saying no to a piano - if it came to that - after knowing it had been rebuilt specifically with me in mind, first in line or whatever. I'd feel awful!

But everyone's comfort level is different and this will be a great route for some. For anyone new to this forum, two of the great rebuilders that come to mind who offer such a program (without obligation to buy) are Faust Harrison NYC and Cunninghams Philly.

I'm rambling again. eek

Thanks, again, everyone, for all of the wishes and comments. smile

Jeanne W

1920 Steinway A3
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm a little late to the party but wanted to say: That is one beautiful piano and you look like one happy little camper! Congratulations!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Congratulations ... well worth the wait, eh? Enjoy your new piano. Thanks for posting the pictures.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Congrats Jeanne, certainly a classic American piano from one of Steinway's best periods, I love A's, and in a great space. You look very happy with it too. Many years of music!

R
R
Jeanne,

Just wanted to add my congratulations on the new member of your family. A special thanks for the blow-by-blow description and pictures. I enjoyed them all immensely.

Many years of happiness to you and your gorgeous Steinie.

ravenswood

"Education begins the gentleman, but reading, good company, and reflection must finish him."

John Locke
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission