2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (CharlesXX, bcalvanese, AlkansBookcase, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, Carey, accordeur, 1957, 10 invisible), 2,154 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
Hi,

Well it's been over a month since I received my first Piano, I've not managed to find anyone local to give any lessons yet, so I've not had any lessons frown I've also bene very busy at work, college and had a recent bearevement so I haven't really had much time to try and play.

Anyway, as some of you may or may not be aware, I can't read music, and I have no idea what notes the keys are, I just plonk away at keys.

Here's a few links to some samples I just though I would record into my pc for you to listen to. Sorry if they aren't great, I had to record into my lappies mic port to sound recorder, then burn to CD, then rip to MP3 lol, and I'm not very good at playing so sorry if the timing is off and for the occasional pause. Hopefully when I get some lessons I can start to play properly smile

The first one I just thought of, I thought I would play the braveheart tune from memory, I was thinking of something from a movie that I could remember / manage, totally made it up about an hour ago so no idea if it sounds close to the real thing or not. Another is romeo and juliet a time for us and then I had a bash at my own rendition of Aeris theme. Of course I want to play classical, but it will come in time, for now I'm just having some fun with it.

I'll post up some propper stuff when I can actually play smile

All done on my new Yami DGx 620. Please save as if it doesnt stream.

Cheers!

Braveheart I think lol

A time for us

Aeris Theme - a bit ropey

S
OP Offline
S
ps I just wanted ppl to let me know if they think it sounds close to the real thing lol, any sugestions on bits that sound wrong or need to be changed let me know. Oh and to let you know what the DGx 620 sounds like smile

I'm also having a little trouble uploading so sorry for the delay in links,.....

Sites won't open

Van Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
StevenA,

Wow, very nice. Yes this definitely sounds like music. An unequivocal 'well played'!

Suggestions,

The braveheart piece sounds and flows very nicely but is too short, I want to hear more!

The time for us piece has a few overlong pauses, but I'm very impressed you can play these pieces just by ear (especially in figuring out how to play the chords). Having started on this very same piece, there's a second section to the music you might want to incorporate into your piece as well.

If you're going to self-study, you might want to look at a good primer: 'How to play Piano despite years of lessons'

I like the sound (I have the same keyboard laugh )...I'm guessing piano 1 for both pieces?

(Larry, you have to right click and save as)

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
In the future, I suggest you use the following to share files - prevents others from having to jump through hoops in order to listen to your files:

http://www.box.net

S
OP Offline
S
Hi Sid,

Thanks for the comments smile

I will listen to a time for us to see what else there is. I have, believe it or not, the version by the percy faith orchestra on CD somewhere! I'll have to dig it out and have a good listen. Sorry for the pauses, I'm trying to iron them out, because everything I do is by trial and error and from memory, sometimes songs seem to blend into another, and the pattern of the key presses almost tempt me to start playing something else, so I have to stop myself, almost like a mental block for a second or so. I'm also not happy with the two lower chords I made up that I press at the end of each verse it sounds a little wrong, but I just can't work out what other keys sound better. I'm also going to put in multiple keys on the higher octave to give the right hand a more fuller sound.

It's strange though, I've been wondering what I would think if I just came into a room and heard me playing for the first time, whether it sounds like I can play the piano or if it just sounds like i'm fooling around? I guess I will never know!

The braveheart piece was something I just knocked up just now, it's very simple and I think it sounds like the tune from the movie, but that is all I can remember, I'll have to watch it and see what else I can get from it.

And yes it was 001!

Larry sorry it seems you have to right click and save as.

Thanks,

S
OP Offline
S
Originally posted by Eternal:
In the future, I suggest you use the following to share files - prevents others from having to jump through hoops in order to listen to your files:

http://www.box.net
Thanks, I'll check it out.

Van Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm very excited for you Steven, my only other suggestion for you is to try and distinguish between the melody (the sung part, usually played by the right hand) from the chords (the left hand accompaniment), and also the chord pattern being used when you're playing, you can build on this later when you learn the chord names and various chord patterns and voicings from some intro theory (a must! and widely available gratis on the net). Keep it simple when trying to organize the music in your mind, there's just melody, chords and chord patterns, that's what all western music is ultimately.

You definitely have a feel for the piano, keep at it, Steven, looking forward to your next recording.

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission