2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
27 members (clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., David B, Fried Chicken, AlkansBookcase, 7 invisible), 1,169 guests, and 295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 91 of 452 1 2 89 90 91 92 93 451 452
Mom3gram,

You have some books that re too easy and some that are too hard. Hmmmmm that sounds way to familiar. I have that same problem. So tomorrow im going into town to find some books that are just right. Wish me luck. And on that same note, I have one piano teacher that says I work on stuff that is too easy so she assigned me hard stuff and I have my former teacher saying that I am working on stuff that is too hard and thats why i am in a rut.!!!!!! I need a happy medium !!!!

And as far as working on too much stuff. Well I think I have that same problem time to time too. I have a boat load of books. But the problem is, is that most of my music is too hard. Or, I try a book out ofr a little bit and then get bored or frustrated. So im going to try and solve my problems tomorrow.

Off I go.....

KaylaX

Yamaha P115 Keyboard
A very old outta tune Baby Grand
A stack of piano music that I cant play !!!
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Say, KaylaX, I know of a "Happy Medium" - shes Alison Dubois on Monday nights at 10:00 PM.

At the music store see if they have a piano you can try the music out on....I've often done that because I want to see what the music feels like on sightreading as a prediction to how easy or difficult this might be for a certain student in mind.

Ask them if you may purchase "on approval" which means you can return any (within a reasonable time) that do not meet your needs.

Also, can I suggest that you look at sheetmusicplus on the right lower column here - you can "see" music as it appears in the published book, and there is a place to store the names of the ones you think you are interested in. I use that feature a lot as it keeps my future plans nicely all in one place. Then it's an easy purchase already chosen but for a future purchase.

I have just started using the publisher websites for gleaning information. I always used to cruise the music shop "new piano music" bins where I could easily find the music educator composers books. The stores are not stocking as much of piano music in my area so I started thinking about mail order as the better way. In the meantime I have lots, and lots of music on hand and won't run short.

Have fun in the "city" or whereever you need to go! And may that music shop be a joy to you. If the salesperson/owner there plays or teaches piano and has some time to visit with you, maybe there are some recommendations to be had.

You sound like the "Mama Bear, Papa Bear, Baby Bear" story where you need to find just the right music for yourself. "Who's been sleeping in my bed? Who ate all my porridge?"

wink

Betty

KaylaX,
Boy am I with you on Cafe Vienna. I have been working on it plus several pieces following it which I have pretty much nailed - well sort of - and I kept messing up CV.

I got so frustrated at one point I slammed my hand onto the piano keys and hurt my hand. Duh!

BUT... I just kept going back to it and back to it until I had gone through it maybe two dozen times. Still not right. Then, the next day I tried it and played it through with some hesitations and a fat key or two, but I did it. Then yesterday I was able to again play through it.

So, it will come, I guarantee it, or your money back. wink

B
B
I'm starting to wonder if reading these threads before getting to a song is going to help or be a hinderence. What I'm finding myself doing is creating a mental list of songs that I am already dreading before I get to them, which I'm sure is going to affect my ability to play them when I get there. Thoughts?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
LOL!!!!

I think I have done that too (made that mental list of upcoming difficult pieces), but generally when someone posts about having difficulty with a piece, someone else posts some hints about how to tackle it.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
I am still on "Why Am I Blue". Spent an hour on it yesterday- but it finally fell into place. It will probably take 15mins today to get where I left off yesterday and after that it will get easier and easier... it is just the way it works for me. The good thing is- I am still following the music with my eyes and not looking at my hands - yea!
I also noticed yesterday as I became more familar with the piece I was able to sneak peak ahead at the tough spots to see what was coming.
That's almost like cheating!! laugh

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by BarbVA:
I'm starting to wonder if reading these threads before getting to a song is going to help or be a hinderence. What I'm finding myself doing is creating a mental list of songs that I am already dreading before I get to them, which I'm sure is going to affect my ability to play them when I get there. Thoughts?
Hi BarbVA:

So far, pieces for me have been conquered, and this is the important part....even if they have seemed intimidating at first . So hang in there! What has seemed to be sooo hard, can and will continue to be tamed! They weren't so bad!!!

Angelo

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on this here forum. I'll try to keep it brief.

I'm 39 and just started playing the piano about 6 weeks ago. I bought a Casio CDP 100 digital and I'm really happy with it. About a month before that I bought "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Music Theory" because I had never read music and thought I should have some background. My first piano book was "Teach Yourself Visually" and I thought it was a waste of money. I mean, a beginner shouldn't be able to find mistakes in a book by an expert. Anyway, then I bought Alfred's All In One book and have been practicing about 2 hours or more every day. I also got the first Greatest Hits book in the series and have been following along with that too. I'm currently on page 95 "Lullaby" and "What a Wonderful World" is next up in the greatest hits.

The reason I started playing in the first place is because I feel as though I missed my so-called "true calling" of being a musician. I've never had an actual career (I've been delivering pizzas for the past 10 years) and have never had an inkling as to what I actually want to do. I blame an extreme lack of guidance as a kid and I suppose, my own laziness as an adult. But I've always loved music and my life pretty much revolves around it. There is constantly music playing in my head (and I do mean constantly). Sometimes I sing without realizing it. I have trouble getting to sleep sometimes because of it. And I have excellent rhythm. So basically, I should have been a musician. Now, I'm pushing 40 and I don't know where I'm going to go with it. I suppose it's just a hobby but I'd like it to be more than that at some point if possible.

That's it for now. I'm going to go get back to playing "Lullaby" a few hundred more times and I look forward to reading as much of this forum as I can.

By the way, my two favorite bands are XTC (hence the avatar) and Steely Dan (hence the signature; anyone know what song it's from?)

Now we dolly back
Now we fade to black
D
D
Welcome Leon, you are making pretty good progress with Alfred's

Originally posted by Dave123:
Welcome Leon, you are making pretty good progress with Alfred's
Thanks. That's good to know. I pretty much play each piece until I can play it smoothly, at a good tempo and I memorize most of them. Although after not playing one for a day or two, it takes me quite a few attempts to get it back again.

I should mention that I plan on taking lessons. I just haven't gotten around to them yet.

Now we dolly back
Now we fade to black

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
I did not see where "Why Am I Blue" has been posted. This is my first music post... hope it works.

http://www.box.net/shared/aovfb4thnb

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Good job, Carl! You should have Mark put that at the beginning of the thread with the others.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
Hey great job Carl!!!

I see what you guys are all talking about with that piece. I know when i get to it its going to tye my fingers in knots. I have problems keeping rythme with the left and melody on the right. Wow!!!! Its good to know that it CAN be tackled. Thanks for posting that recording.

Hey guys, I got my Faber 2b books (all 5 of them) to go along with my Alfreds book. Im having a good time playing around with the Gold star peformance book. Its giving me the fun break that i have needed. I still have my Fabers adult all in one also. I have put it aside for a little bit.

Everyone, keep up the great work!!!!!!

KaylaX

Yamaha P115 Keyboard
A very old outta tune Baby Grand
A stack of piano music that I cant play !!!
Originally posted by dukeofhesse:
I have a question regarding fingering. In the beginning of Albert's, you start with a home base of C position and it's pretty easy to find notes for the ten fingers because there is a frame of reference, kind of like typing.

It seems now like it's heading more and more to having no particular starting point. So my question is this, how does an experienced piano player navigate and know which fingers to use, where and when? I know sight readers can just automatically position their fingers but what about those who don't sight read? Does anybody know how this works, maybe had a teacher explain it? Is this a dumb question and I should just wait to see how it is done?
Hi everyone - I'm new here, but I've been reading the posts for about a month now (about how long I've been trying to learn to play). Duke's question is exactly what I'd like to know as well. Thanks for any advice you guys might have!

Mariah

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Thanks Mom3gram and Kaylax for the comments.

The left hand still needs a little work but after I finally worked it out- I found that I enjoyed this piece much better. Maybe I have and affinity for Blues! I think the tone of my piano suits the blues as well.

MariahB
Welcome, here is a link that may help.
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/32/8122.html#000000

B
B
Can someone tell me, on Alpine Melody, where it says "8va both hands second time", is it just referring to the last measure it is over, or does it want you to play the entire piece 8va both hands since it doesn't have the usual marking over just the measure?

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by BarbVA:
Can someone tell me, on Alpine Melody, where it says "8va both hands second time", is it just referring to the last measure it is over, or does it want you to play the entire piece 8va both hands since it doesn't have the usual marking over just the measure?
I am thinking- since the repeat symbol indicates to go back to the beginning, that it is to be repeated from the beginning one octave higher.

D
D
Well, I am a raw beginner and I have just bought the first book. It will arrive on Thursday, hope its as good as I have heard laugh

Set me free your Heaven's a lie...

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Welcome aboard Danny22! Are you waiting for the Alfred's All in One Book? MariahB just got on board but- I am not sure where she is in the book.
It is a fun ride. thumb

Hey Dave123... how is the Can Can going?

D
D
I just ordered it online, and delivery said Thursday before 1pm laugh I am going to browse the local papers for people selling piano's, see what I can find price-wise.

Set me free your Heaven's a lie...
Page 91 of 452 1 2 89 90 91 92 93 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission