2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, 6 invisible), 1,307 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 73 of 452 1 2 71 72 73 74 75 451 452
Originally posted by redeagle:
I hope everyone has had a great Thanksgiving weekend.

[b]mydnyt,
Thanks for the recommendation. That is actually the book I am using. It has about 8 pieces from the AM Notebooks and another 8 misc bach selections.

Well, Seasons Greeting everybody and don't forget to practice your holiday songs!

Regards,

- redeagle [/b]
your welcome smile How are the books? I should be getting my Alfred's book 1 soon. I can't wait to start.

YOUTUBE VIDS
Currently on: Alfred Book 2, Sonatinas Vol 1 (Gail Lew) and random sheet music from the internet smile
MOST WANTED SHEET MUSIC: Maalaala Mo Kaya, Souvenir de Filipinas - I'd also love to have the ability to play them... laugh
They are great. You should enjoy the Alfred's book a lot and the great community and support provided by this forum and the Alfred's threads.

Hello everyone,

Have been lurking for quite some time now, and decided finally to pop up a post and get involved. I purchased Alfred's Book 1 several years ago but commitments with violin and guitar always kept getting in the way.

I sat down with the book and worked through it over the last week, and am now eagerly awaiting the workday's end so I can go home and learn Little Brown Jug.

I've found the most interesting pieces in the book so far for me have been the blues-style ones, they present a differing bass-line from the other pieces and have kept me on my toes.

Thanks to advice from this thread and others on this forum, I've devised a practice plan where I review the last 5 or so songs before I tackle current songs and any new lesson material. Haven't gotten into much scale or arpeggio material yet, but I'm sure the theory is all the same as it was for violin, so all those minor scales don't look as daunting as they did the first time round smile

Eventually, I'm hoping to play some of the more well known pieces from Chopin and Mozart, but am also looking forward to exploring the great depths of the classical realm's other composer and less famous compositions.

As for the quality of the book so far, I must say I'm impressed. As far as requiring a teacher goes, I have taught myself guitar for four years, and had an absolutely fantastic violin teacher for over a year, and I learned much more from the teacher regarding musicality and theory in that short time than I ever did from self-learning. I think it's beneficial to have a teacher for at least one instrument you learn, to get not only theory, but to also appreciate the atmosphere of musicianship.

I'm going to be self-teaching piano for a while, I look forward to hearing of your successes and getting to know you all.

Cheers.

I just got the Alfred book yesterday. I read up to page 54 and was able to soak up most of the things. I absolutely love it! Even my mom is taking a peek and trying out stuff on the keyboard.

I don't know what to do when I reach the pedaling parts though... I guess I'll have to buy one for my keyboard. The last time I used a pedal it was 10 yrs ago... and I was just starting to do so when I quit. Can't wait to get to the songs near the end of the book though! smile

YOUTUBE VIDS
Currently on: Alfred Book 2, Sonatinas Vol 1 (Gail Lew) and random sheet music from the internet smile
MOST WANTED SHEET MUSIC: Maalaala Mo Kaya, Souvenir de Filipinas - I'd also love to have the ability to play them... laugh
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I found the pedal quickly became second nature when playing. But, just like everything else may take some time to get used to at first. Of course, it helps when most of what you play sounds horrid without the use of pedals (lots of broken chords). I love my pedal! smile

Roland FP-7 / Pianoteq 4.5.1
[Linked Image]
*waves*

Starting today. Book 1 Page 1. A bit frightened but ready to go!!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Welcome Mr.T and timeturner. We're always glad to have new classmates. smile

Mr.T, It appears that your previous musical experiences have helped you quite a bit in breezing through book 1. That's truly fantastic!

mydnyt, I was quite nervous at the beginning in anticipations of those pedaling lessons as well, but it's quite fun and all is well, so far anyway. I'm currently learning a new feature called "Overlapping Pedal" in the song call "Greensleeves". As I'm sure with many, I also love this classic song and so it has helped me quite a bit with the learning process. You are already doing fabulously well so I'm sure that you'll pick it up in no time. Keep up the great work.

timeturner, Congratulations on your new beginning. thumb I can still remember quite vividly of those "frighten" feelings, mixed with the feelings of joy, excitement and anticipations of all of the new and unkown challenges that I'm going to be facing and will be learning. Although I did not have any previous musical instrument experiences, I was planning to teach myself anyway, and so I had to tell myself, one note at a time and one page at a time, and see where it'll take me. But most of all, remember to enjoy and appreciate the fact that I even gave myself the chance to start it at all. I'm on page 130 at the moment.

You'll do just fine. thumb

Cheers,

Key Notes smile

Music speaks where words fails.
Thank you keynotes! smile I was actually considering of skipping on to book 2 instead but the main reason why I got book 1 was because even though I've had previous lessons before, I'm still lacking in theory and I also thought it would give me a great review on some of the things I've learned before. I love the way the book presents things. Especially when I come across something new it easy to understand. smile

This may sound silly, but for now I'm making believe I have a pedal until I get one for my keyboard. :p

YOUTUBE VIDS
Hi Keynotes, thanks a lot for your warm introduction. What wonderful things are you looking to achieve on your keys in sunny CA?

Cheers.

Well things are getting busy here. discovered that the Alfred's book 1 does a good job of teaching chords. My paws find the notes for the bass clef stuff for the simple stuff in book 1. the bad news is that I still can not really read bass clef.
My teacher is making me work in pedal board for real. This requires reading bass clef as well as playing it!

EEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hey All,

Just an update...I'm on page 25! Yippee!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi Alfred Folks:

Do you have a sense of on what page one can start with what specific supplemental material?

Thanks

D
D
Originally posted by angelojf:
Hi Alfred Folks:

Do you have a sense of on what page one can start with what specific supplemental material?

Thanks
Just as an example the level 1 greatest hits book starts at page 54 for 'Love me tender'
Then the next ones jump to pages in the seventies
The Alfred's all time favorites are cross referenced with the basic course but there are quite a few around page 75 that is around page 120 in the all in one course

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks Dave!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
After the two "blues" pieces, I gave my Alfred's All-in-one a rest while I worked on Christmas music and two pieces from my "In Recital" book. Yesterday I got back to Alfred with "On Top of Old Smokey". I'm taking it slow and repeating only about 4 measures at a time until I get it down. Luckily, this one sounds good slow. :-) Occasionally I listen to PianoNoob's version on Youtube.com to see what it should sound like.

I've asked Santa for the greatest hits book as well as the pop book, and if he doesn't deliver I will purchase one or both of them myself after Christmas. I had held off buying them because most of the pieces seemed to be more difficult than the lesson ones, but I have more or less outgrown the supplemental books I was working out of and am ready to move up. Out of the three (or four, counting the Sacred) which one do you all like best: greatest hits, pop, or all time favorites?

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
Hi all. I return after a few weeks without a computer, akin to missing my left arm. Other impediments to consistent practice have arisen though I have managed some snatched practice most days.

I'm almost ready to move on from 'Got those Blues' on page 107. Outside of Alfred I've nearly got 'Solitude' by David Neavue as good as I'm going to achieve with my ham fisted bashing. I intend to keep practising as it's the first piece I've truly enjoyed.

Now the exciting choice of what to learn next, I'm inclined to Einaudi's Le Onde Canzone Popolare (1500 ca.) and will start this evening.

It's good to be back smile

great choices blackbird!

All you need is trust... (and a bit of pixie dust!)
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Sorry, pushed the button once too many times. laugh

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Page 73 of 452 1 2 71 72 73 74 75 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission