2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (busa, clothearednincompo, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, benkeys, Burkhard, 5 invisible), 1,119 guests, and 253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 65 of 452 1 2 63 64 65 66 67 451 452
M
M
I've reached Lavender's blue now. I quite like it, and don't find it difficult to play, actually. But I realize that there is a huge difference between just playing a tune correctly and playing it musically, ie with feeling. I still need to work on that. For instance, I find it hard to play dynamically, loud and soft. The mf, f, mp, p dynamics in the music are not really recognizable in my playing so far. Does anyone have a suggestion how to improve on that?

The other day a piano playing friend came over to take a look at my piano and she played a couple of rather difficult tunes. She's been playing for maybe 15 years or more and is used to playing classical and pop. I showed her some of the tunes I was working on and it was a real eye-opener for me how she could play those simple tunes with such musicality. Most impressive to me was that she did it so naturally, like as if to say that's simply the way you play the piano. That was truly inspiring for me. My piano never sounded better. smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
My practice has been going really well lately. I have been reviewing everything from Money Can't Buy Everything to Lullaby every couple of days, and the pieces that usually trip me up have been pretty smooth. I've even started playing some of them along with the CD. I had never tried that before, using the CD only to see if I was getting an unfamiliar piece correct. I'm really enjoying playing along.

Since I had so much trouble with the last two or three pieces, I decided to take a break from new pieces in Alfred and have been taking my newest ones from the Faber book, where I'm not as far along in difficulty yet, and my kids Bastien level 1 book. But the next one up in Alfred is "Joy to the World" and I do want to start that one very soon so that I have it mastered by Christmas.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
hi Mom3gram,

Joy To the World is mostly scales so its an easier tune than the others before it.

M
M
I have now finally experienced the "joys" of Blow the man down. smile Getting both hands to play their parts independently is really not that easy. It took me a couple of days to get it right and the chord changes still trip me up every now and then. But with enough repetition this should not be a problem, I believe. I found that the left hand chord accompaniment is very common in other songs that I'm learning. So it's a good idea to practice this style of left hand playing often.

I'm also practicing the three Hanon exercises from the book every day now (I usually start with these exercises as a warmup). I think these are really good for left/right hand coordination, because you are forced to synchronize both hands perfectly. But since I always practice with a metronome, I was wondering what the ideal tempo is to practice these exercises. The book says "moderately slow to moderately fast". How does that translate to beats per minute? Also, are we supposed to start slow and then speed up gradually during the same exercise, or do we play slow the first time through, then play a little faster the second time, etc?

D
D
Originally posted by marrzipan:
I have now finally experienced the "joys" of Blow the man down. smile Getting both hands to play their parts independently is really not that easy. It took me a couple of days to get it right and the chord changes still trip me up every now and then.
It took me a couple of weeks frown I have moved on now, still practicing it though I would like to get the tempo better.
My lessons started again, this past week,I have been assigned a new teacher as my last one, who I liked because he was progressive and never held back and pushed me through at quite a fast pace (fast being relative) decided not to return and start out on his own teaching. Now my new teacher, I am not sure if he is the one for me, I will give him a few weeks maybe his style will help me but I will reserve judgement for a few weeks.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Congratulations, marrzipan, on mastering "Blow the Man Down", definitely a rite of passage on this thread. I continue to practice it regularly myself, because that victory was so hard won that I don't want to lose it.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hey, you are right, 1silkyferret, "Joy to the World" is pretty easy compared to some of the previous ones. Either that or I'm getting better at playing. :-)

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
M
M
Thanks, mom3gram. I played it again yesterday and it's getting better and better. It's definitely true that repetition is the key in learning the piano (or anything for that matter).

I can understand how the syncopated rhythm (not sure if that's the exact term), eg in the second measure, throws off many of us piano beginners. I think each person has his or her own approach at tackling this challenge. Mine was to not try to think of left hand and right hand as independent units for a moment (although I think that is what we should strive to a certain extent in an arrangement like this). But instead I tried thinking of left and right hand forming one unit which made it much more manageable for me having a guitar background (in guitar you produce single notes or chords with your left and right hand combined, not independently). That way the sequence of the notes instantly became clear. In other words, I tried looking at the score as if it were a guitar score.

Inititally, I had difficulties with left and right hand independence on the piano (perhaps one of the drawbacks of being used to the guitar). But it's getting much better already. I hope everyone here is progressing nicely.

I bought Alfred's book one a week ago. I took piano lessons for a year or two when I was a kid and have played by ear all my life. My fingering was always terrible. I decided that it is time I learn right and since I am 60 I knew it was time to get started. I played the trumpet all through school and I play the bass guitar so I already knew how to read music, harmony, etc. So in a week I have progressed up through Blow the Man Down. It is the hardest piece in the book so far and I think I just about have it mastered. For me, the key was counting out loud and that helped me play the eight notes after the doted quarter notes properly. I only have the main book at this point. I ordered all the supplemental books except for the Duet one because I don't have anyone to play duets with. I appreciate all the comments on this forum. They are helpful.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Well I've just finished book 1! [Linked Image]

I do have some "polishing" to do on Amazing Grace but my teacher was happy with my progress on the last 3 songs inc Entertainer (easier version of course). I am going to have to get a nice frame for my 1st Piano Certificate!

Now we'll take a 2wk break as we focus on the Forest Gump sheet music since I want to get a heads up on learning that piece.

Then straight into Book #2 so I'll see some of you over on the other thread. Thanks to all for your help and again to Pianonoobalex for his excellent Videos (looking forward to checking out the book 2 ones)

Keep at it and enjoy yourself, I know I am [Linked Image]

"...I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING it!..."
[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Welcome, Johndyoung. That's some super progress you made in a week, even considering your prior experience. It looks like you will be ready for book 2 in no time.

Congratulations on your "graduation" from Book 1, TTigg. That's awesome! Good luck with Forest Gump and with Book 2.

Marrzipan, the way you explained how you learned Blow the Man Down is interesting. I guess I came up with my own way of doing exactly the same thing. I photocopied the page, and then on the photocopy, I drew a line down both staves between each beat. That way I could see easily which note/notes I needed to play with which hand/hands one beat at a time. After a couple of days of that, I could play it slowly from the original music without too much trouble.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
Johndyoung, let met get this straight: you had a year or two of lessons as a kid, have played by ear all your life, played the trumpet all through school and played the bass guitar. You decided that “it is time I learn right” and so started out with Alfred’s book one. YOU’RE ME! laugh Only I’m about ten years younger and am not a pilot (but I have soloed in a Cessna 152). I started re-learning in January of this year.

Welcome to the forum!

Undone

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Undone, glad to hear I am not the only one doing this. I have really enjoyed playing the pieces in the book. My wife told me the other day that the songs I play by ear sound better. I told her I know, but I have to learn fingering and how to sight read so I am going to learn all of these songs as written, with correct fingering. I am hoping that after a period of time and becoming proficient in playing the piano correctly, with proper fingering, that I will be able to carry that over to my playing by ear. I ordered all the supplemental books and I am hoping they will arrive today. When they do, I am basically going to start over in the main book and do the supplemental stuff as I progress through the book again.

M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by TTigg:

I do have some "polishing" to do on Amazing Grace but my teacher was happy with my progress on the last 3 songs inc Entertainer (easier version of course). I am going to have to get a nice frame for my 1st Piano Certificate!

Now we'll take a 2wk break as we focus on the Forest Gump sheet music since I want to get a heads up on learning that piece.

Then straight into Book #2 so I'll see some of you over on the other thread. Thanks to all for your help and again to [b]Pianonoobalex
for his excellent Videos (looking forward to checking out the book 2 ones)

Keep at it and enjoy yourself, I know I am [Linked Image] [/b]
Congrats!

Love your signature... smile

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
...double post (can be deleted)....

[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by mom3gram:
Congratulations on your "graduation" from Book 1, TTigg. That's awesome! Good luck with Forest Gump and with Book 2.
Thanks! Very much looking forward to getting into book #2. I’m hoping I can be 80% done by Xmas when I am hopefully going back to the UK for my holidays

Originally posted by Mark...:
Congrats!
Love your signature... smile

Thanks smile
I wanted to kind of mix up the Seinfeld with me being "out there" finally enjoying the piano. I guess it's too late for MOYD 08?

[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Then straight into Book #2 so I'll see some of you over on the other thread. Thanks to all for your help and again to [b]Pianonoobalex
for his excellent Videos (looking forward to checking out the book 2 ones)

Keep at it and enjoy yourself, I know I am [Linked Image] [/b]
Fabulous! Congrats! thumb

Music speaks where words fails.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Key Notes:
Fabulous! Congrats! thumb
Thanks - I've already surprised myself and am having just WAY too much fun laugh

[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Key Notes:
[b]Fabulous! Congrats! thumb
Thanks - I've already surprised myself and am having just WAY too much fun laugh [/b]
There's no such thing. thumb

Music speaks where words fails.
I am wondering how long people spend doing book 1? Would some of you tell me what time you took?

I am still waiting for the supplemental books to arrive. I bought all of them mentioned in Book 1 except for the duet book, because I don't have anyone to play duets with. My plan is to start over when I get those books and do the work in those books as it relates to the main book, Book1.

I have hit a wall with the songs in G. The Marine Hymn especially has been difficult for me. It looks so simple but it has been hard for me. I found myself practicing my right hand fingering while driving in the car. It seemed to help but I need more practice on it.

I will appreciate any and all comments and suggestions.

Page 65 of 452 1 2 63 64 65 66 67 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission