2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, Doug M., 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, brdwyguy, 6 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 64 of 452 1 2 62 63 64 65 66 451 452
D
D
Originally posted by matthewmoore3:

i have a query that i hope someone might have the answer to..

I am using the 'all in one' book at the moment, which includes some theory... however, i now see that there are supplementary adult basic theory books which seem like they may contain more conclusive theory ...

Hi Matt and welcome,
I have a couple of the supplementary books, but they don't have any theory in them, I have seen some Alfred's books at my local music store that does primarily focus on theory but I do not believe they are part of the same series. I could be wrong though smile

J
J
I hope it can't hurt to mix and match! I'm finishing up Book 1 (Basic). I have "Amazing Grace" runing scared, and I just ordered the All-In-One Book 2. I hope that isn't breaking some primary rule of the universe, I mean, moving from the basic course to the "all-in-one."

Baldwin M
Casio PX-330
Casio AP-45
M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by jrcallan:
I hope it can't hurt to mix and match! I'm finishing up Book 1 (Basic). I have "Amazing Grace" runing scared, and I just ordered the All-In-One Book 2. I hope that isn't breaking some primary rule of the universe, I mean, moving from the basic course to the "all-in-one."
No rules broken...in fact I believe there are more pieces in the ALL in One vs the primary adult book...

M
M
Hi everyone! This is my first posting on Piano World (yay!) I just wanna say hi to everyone on this thread and to any fellow lurkers around. Please keep up the interesting and useful discussion.

I discovered Piano World about a month ago and have been lurking particularly in this thread (been reading the first ten pages so far, still got 40 pages in front of me). I just wanna say that I really enjoy reading this thread. I began working with the Alfred's all-in-one book 1 (Taiwan edition) about 2 weeks ago and am now on page 37. I'm completely new to the piano (at least in terms of dedicated learning), but not to music making. I've been playing guitar (electric and acoustic) for many years and I'm having a blast with piano now. Interestingly, I find that both instruments complement each other nicely in that I practicing on my guitars is even more fun now that I have the piano (btw, I'm a proud owner of a 1971 Yamaha U1 that I acquired here in Taiwan about a month ago). I also find that my prior experience in making music (including playing in a band and with like-minded musicians) does benefit me a lot in my piano endeavour.

Well, I hope to contribute more to this thread once I'm done reading through it. Nice meeting you all.

M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Welcome marrzipan! Enjoy the journey.

Mark...

Originally posted by mom3gram:
I started "Rock It Away" this morning. The right hand was easy, but I found that I forgot how to play a couple of those left hand chords. We've only scratched the surface of chords so far in Book 1, and I already can't remember which ones are which and how to play them. I guess I'm going to have look up all the ones I've "learned" so far and make a point of really learning them.
I had that same issue so I made myself a "cheat sheet" so to speak. I made copies of the pages in book one and book two that had the chords shown with their finger positions. Then I cut them all out(each was like 2" square) taped them to a sheet of paper, made a copy then laminated it.

It contains all the C, F and G chords and their inversions for left and right hand with finger positions. With them all one one page, it's easier and more fun too, to play in semi-rapid succession each chord. It really enhances your chord playing because it forces you to learn the chords and to change chords quickly and accurately.

I am in Alfred's Chord Approach level 2, although I just now picked it up again. I haven't had a lesson or practiced much since April but I begin my lessons again next week.
I took the last few nights and went through my level 1 book and pretty much breezed through that, a few took some time to get again, but I am still extremely rusty and nowhere near where I was as my teacher will clearly see.

I began playing scales again to get the rust off, C,G and D scales. Is it just me or is it much simpler playing scales in contrary motion than parallel motion? Or is it that I'm just THAT rusty? Anyway, it's nice to back.

Stop buying things you can't afford....unless of course it's a piano.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hey, Keycrazy, great minds think alike. I did the exact same thing right after that post. :-)

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
D
D
Welcome to the forum and the Alfred's thread

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Well, what a different a year makes. Keep plugging away and enjoying. I am almost done with book 1 (prob 1.5wks) and will then be taking a break to work on practicing a piece then back into Book #2.

"...I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING it!..."
[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
Originally posted by angelojf:
"since my piano time is rather limited I just said screw it and I write in the notes for bass clef! Beats the stare and hope method"
- 1silkyferret

Hilarious!
well I did not touch my toy keyboard for 2 and a half months.
pulled it out the other day and set it up. Reviewed some Afreds stuff and discovered that I had forgotton most of what I had learned. .busy season in Ohio this time plus losing half a day to go to cleveland and hit the big toys...(such wonderful big toys. for those in the Cleveland area there are 2 marvelous carillons and one has an amazing warm tone. Dont know about the other . )
Good news and bad news is now that I am in KC i have found a nice tasty tower to play in with a practice keyboard 4 miles from where I am staying so I can limit my time to half an hour on it so I dont make my paws wish they were elsewhere.
I figured the bass clef wasnt a worry..the whole purpose of my messing on piano stuff was to learn carillon. Bass clef is for pedalboard. I am not coordinated enough to mess with that.
current teacher disagrees. Needless to say I am screwed. Between figuring out what note that is,finding the right pedal (this requires hitting the pedal to see what manual key moves)it is painful...
.I just memorized the darn chords in Alfreds' then forgot them in the 2 months time.

Whoever invented bass clef was evil. (no the the cute guy who plays him at faire)

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Silkyferret, what type of work do you do that takes you to a different state every month or two? Do you take your keyboard with you? How do you get permission to play the carillons in all these places?

How do you play chords on a carillon - since you only have two hands (instead of 10 fingers on a piano)?

I'm curious because the carillon is different and interesting, and I've never "known" anyone who has played one. In fact, how did you get interested in learning it in the first place?

mom3gram

[Linked Image]

HI Mom3gram,

I do Renaissance festivals all over. Season starts in FL,then OK,OH and KS.
Silkyferret, what type of work do you do that takes you to a different state every month or two? Do you take your keyboard with you?

My keyboard comes for the ride...but it mostly gets used as a stuff holder. (its hard for me to get up the unph to bother with it but I know I need to. Just to train my paws to do 2 lines of stuff at the same time. )
How do you get permission to play the carillons in all these places?
ASK!!!!!!!!!!!I really mean it. Just ask. There are a lot of real nice installations with no players or the player will share. Just be respectful. These are high profile LOUD yummies and I just want access to practice keyboards. (I like running deep and silent. radar...I do not want to get on anyone's radar. ) I admit I have asked and gotten permission from more than I have played. If they will turn my happy *** loose,they would let anyone go for it. my suspicion is if someone who looked iky asked they might get turned down.

How do you play chords on a carillon - since you only have two hands (instead of 10 fingers on a piano)?
NOt at that point yet. My guess is hit 2 keys with left hand...if your paws are big enough. I can get two side by side keys (and have hurts like heck! did it in Ohio) For those with good hand,foot coordination there is a pedal board so you can use your hind paws. when you hit a pedal,the manual key is connected so you can make sure if want a "c"then that is what you get.
I'm curious because the carillon is different and interesting, and I've never "known" anyone who has played one. In fact, how did you get interested in learning it in the first place?
This incredible player named Frank Della Penna. Go look at the Cast in Bronze website. and get his cds.......they are wonderful sounding. HIs website is castinbronze.com. Anyway I have known him for years at TRF. He does Ren Fests as well. There are a lot of players out there in college. So its not a dying art!!!I had no interest in learning how to play,just hearing them. Then all at once it just crawled up my tail. I am still waiting for it to crawl back out and obsess some other person. I figured I would never find a teacher. 2 emails later I did. Normally you have to have a lot of keyboard experiance. I had none....
I still have almost none. I am brutally honest about that with anyone who asks and I tell folks I really suck at it because I do. I like to stick to the practice keyboards,no one hears you,you still get to play, and the nieghbors are not gonna complain.

carillon is great therapy if you hang around drama queens. cheaper than drugs,and the best antidepressant known to kitties or man.......

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the explanation. I'll have to make it a point to find a carillon to listen to.

We have a pretty nice Ren Festival going on right now, here in NY/NJ at Sterling Forest. I keep meaning to take some of my grandkids. My son's boys are very interested in swords and armor. And they love costumes.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
Thanks for the explanation. I'll have to make it a point to find a carillon to listen to.

We have a pretty nice Ren Festival going on right now, here in NY/NJ at Sterling Forest. I keep meaning to take some of my grandkids. My son's boys are very interested in swords and armor. And they love costumes.
Sterling closed a couple of weekends ago.I was there closing day after my small one day NY show.

That is a road map show. someone likes mazes big time on their site crew. The site is uphill like Colorado. Its also a real pretty show. Jeffery the bag piper plays there. you see the same 100 patrons over and over and they are all sweet and fun to play with. Since your in NY there is a carillon in the Rochester U campus. Havent been there. It only gets played once a week or so.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hmmm...their website says it runs through September 21.

Back to all things piano. I thought I had "Lullaby" down reasonably well, so I advanced to the next piece, and to the lessons on scales and tetrachords. Well, it turns out that I didn't have "Lullaby" down as well as I thought I did. I can't seem to play it now. I've started working it up again, and can do the first four measures slowly, but if I go beyond that I start making frequent mistakes until I just get frustrated. I'm thinking of leaving it alone for a while and then going back to it, because I can feel the frustration before I even start now. I will work on a few new pieces from one of my supplemental books in the meantime.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Back to all things piano. I thought I had "Lullaby" down reasonably well, so I advanced to the next piece, and to the lessons on scales and tetrachords. Well, it turns out that I didn't have "Lullaby" down as well as I thought I did. I can't seem to play it now. I've started working it up again, and can do the first four measures slowly, but if I go beyond that I start making frequent mistakes until I just get frustrated. I'm thinking of leaving it alone for a while and then going back to it, because I can feel the frustration before I even start now. I will work on a few new pieces from one of my supplemental books in the meantime.
Hi mom3gram,

I've also noticed that "Lullaby" was deceivingly difficult for a slow piece. I had found myself to be fustrated at times as well when I was there and taking short breaks from it was also my stradegies and found it to be absolutely helpful and effective.

It must be quite hard getting back to it after a long vacation, but I'm sure you'll pick it up again quite soon.

Best regards,

Key Notes smile

Music speaks where words fails.
M
M
Ok, I thought I should post a report regarding my learning experience. After nearly 3 weeks I have reached page 77. The last song I learned is Standing in the Need of Prayer. And I've just started learning the two Hanon exercises. I guess many of you will find I'm rushing through this book at breakneck speed. It's true, I've been learning on a daily basis for the last 2-3 weeks (usually learning 30-60 minutes per day). I also keep up my daily guitar practice, so I won't ever tire of the piano. I'm happy so far with my progress and the reason I can go at this speed is that the music theory and general concepts of practicing a musical instrument are quite familiar to me already. So I can concentrate on the actual piano playing, esp sight-reading, playing technique and memorizing the keyboard and chords, etc.

I'm teaching myself completely, but I realize that this approach has its deficiencies as you can easily form bad habits that can be hard to eliminate later on. Luckily for me, my neighbour is a piano teacher and good friend of my mom. She came over a few days ago cuz she heard me playing and wanted to see how I'm doing. She said I'm doing very good considering I started from zero just a few weeks ago, but she said my technique is lacking. In particular she said I'm tensing up in my hands and shoulders. I guess this was in part due to the fact I was playing in front of a piano teacher for the first time. She corrected my posture and recommended that I regularly play the technical exercises contained in the Alfred book. So I intend to play the Letchivsky (sp?) and Hanon exercises from the book every day now. She also gave me some additional material to chew on (a volume of traditional folk and children's tunes from around the world arranged for beginners). She said she would drop by every week or so to check on my progress. So I guess I'm all set to become good at this now. smile )) Ok, I've got my aim set on Lavender's blue and Blow the man down now. I can't wait to play those two tunes after having read so much about them here.

D
D
Marrzipan, you are doing very well, I am sure your guitar playing and other musical experience does help, keep up the good work

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Yes, you are doing very well Marrzipan, and are very fortunate to have such a wonderfully nice neighbor to help you out.

I also tends to tense up while learning a new piece and so I'm trying very hard now a days to be more aware of my postures and tensions while playing.

Cheers and happy playing to you.

Key Notes smile

Music speaks where words fails.
M
M
Thank you, Dave123 and Key Notes. I find this thread is really a goldmine for us beginners who use the Alfred method. I'm still sucking up all the information I can from this thread as I go along (I'm now at page 32, only 20 more to go). This seems a very friendly group of people and I hope to contribute more to this thread soon. Now back to lurking... smile

Page 64 of 452 1 2 62 63 64 65 66 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission