Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
106 registered members (cathryn999, anotherscott, Alex873, AnnInMiami, almo82, cardguy2.0, belcanto2, 24 invisible), 1,646 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 28 of 268 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 267 268
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 #1070947
04/16/08 05:14 PM
04/16/08 05:14 PM
Chicago
Always Wanted to Play Piano Offline
500 Post Club Member
Always Wanted to Play Piano  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Chicago
Al, we're living in the same world. The arguments for a digital at this point are pretty compelling.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Casio Ap-200
Almost midway thru Alfred's All-In-One Book Two
Blogging my family's piano learning experiences: http://aw2pp.blogspot.com/
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 #1070948
04/17/08 07:57 AM
04/17/08 07:57 AM
Chocolatetown, USA
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member
TrapperJohn  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Chocolatetown, USA
Originally posted by 1silkyferret:

AS far as Beautiful Brown Eyes is concerned the hard part for me was the last 3 bars...I do not know why that piece was so darn hard.
1silkyferret - not that you necessarily want to make Beautiful Brown Eyes any harder, but you can make it a little more interesting musically.

Hrere's how: once you get it "down" fairly well, do this: repeat the last line, slowing down slightly starting with the 3rd to last measure, and instead of the left hand pattern in the next to last measure (that you played the 1st time thru) simply play the full G chord, and hold it for the length of the last two measures (6 counts).

Too much to ask at this point? Well, maybe. But give it a try. This technique can be used to add an enhanced ending to any number of the pieces you'll play in the future. In fact, if you really want to get a little fancy, you can take the last few measures of a song (usually the last "phrase") and use it as an "intro" at the start of a piece.

Good luck and above all have fun!

Regards,

JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 #1070949
04/17/08 10:52 AM
04/17/08 10:52 AM
Chicago
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Chicago
My update... I have three things I am "working on" (meaning I can plod through them at various levels of success):

- Why Am I Blue? - Have just a little trouble with the fine...
- Good People - Just can't quite this... I'm close.
- Little Brown Jug - I've made it through this twice at tempo without errors.

I've also begun the painful introductory phase of learning Chiapanecas. It's the first piece, to my recollection, where the LH and RH have comparable levels of difficulty.

Casio Ap-200
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 #1070950
04/17/08 10:32 PM
04/17/08 10:32 PM
South Florida
redeagle Offline
redeagle  Offline

South Florida
So far, I really like this Alfred's Adult All-In-One Piano Book 1. I have several other piano books laying around, but this is my main learning tool and I plan on working my way through Alfred's as much as possible before supplementing with too much other stuff. I am also getting lots of good tips and info from this forum. Thanks to all of you, especially those who have posted their renditions on youtube or box.net.

The past few days, I have become quite expert at making those Saints March. Today, I was able to go past that point and focused on "Money Can't Buy Everything", which is the intro to the G position. At first, it was like taking a big step backwards. When I try to play the notes, I stop and start and get a bit confused with the fingering, but when I ignore the notes (except the first one) and play the whole thing by intervals, I go through it pretty easily.

So far during my first 3 weeks of using Alfred's:

1) It is great fun and I am enjoying it very much.

2) I have easily picked up a lot of the music theory (beyond what is in the Alfred's books) and have very little problem reading sheet music. My biggest challenge right now is perfecting the physical coordination and dexterity to actually play the songs I see on the sheets. I wonder if this is the norm or the exception?

3) Although I know the notes and staff well, I find myself going through all the songs by fingering to the note intervals...its just so much faster and I realize that while I am playing I really couldn't tell you what note I need to play or is coming next. Is this ok or should I try to force myself to play by the recognition of the notes?

4) It is easy to advance with practice, but it is hard to get enough time to practice. This week has been a bit tough to advance in the book. My practice times kept getting cut short. I normally start with a warmup by going back a few pages earlier in the book, but I have been getting "stopped" each day just when I get to new material. I have to come up with a good practice routine to address this. I am thinking maybe just some quick scales and right into new material, and them wrap up with older stuff to reinforce past lessons. It doesn't seem like the best way, but it will maximize my time on working through to new stuff.

I think the rest of this week and the weekend will be focused on perfecting "Money Can't Buy Everything" and "The Cuckoo" and improving my ability to switch between all the chords in both LH and RH. I am looking forward to getting to more challinging parts of the book like Blow the Man Down & Little Brown Jug, of which I have read a lot about in this thread.

Good night all...

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 #1070951
04/17/08 10:46 PM
04/17/08 10:46 PM
CA
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member
Key Notes  Offline
500 Post Club Member

CA
Originally posted by JohnFrank:
[b]
AS far as Beautiful Brown Eyes is concerned the hard part for me was the last 3 bars...I do not know why that piece was so darn hard.
1silkyferret - not that you necessarily want to make Beautiful Brown Eyes any harder, but you can make it a little more interesting musically.

Hrere's how: once you get it "down" fairly well, do this: repeat the last line, slowing down slightly starting with the 3rd to last measure, and instead of the left hand pattern in the next to last measure (that you played the 1st time thru) simply play the full G chord, and hold it for the length of the last two measures (6 counts).

Too much to ask at this point? Well, maybe. But give it a try. This technique can be used to add an enhanced ending to any number of the pieces you'll play in the future. In fact, if you really want to get a little fancy, you can take the last few measures of a song (usually the last "phrase") and use it as an "intro" at the start of a piece.

Good luck and above all have fun!

Regards,

JF [/b]
Hmm, very interesting. I might have to try this too. Thanks JF. smile

Music speaks where words fails.
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 #1070952
04/18/08 12:02 AM
04/18/08 12:02 AM
P
PMcG316 Offline
PMcG316  Offline
P

Okay... I need some serious help with "He's got the whole world in his hands" I simply cannot bring these rhythms together. I can play the melody & bass line perfectly by itself, but bringing them together seems beyond my brain power. Reading the connected 8th notes and syncopated notes does throw me off a little, but I think it's more of a hand separation issue.

Any ideas on how to tackle this one?

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 #1070953
04/18/08 12:06 AM
04/18/08 12:06 AM
Elsewhere-now Texas
1silkyferret Offline
1silkyferret  Offline

Elsewhere-now Texas
Originally posted by Key Notes:
[b] Hi Key Notes.
You are the third person that I've heard that said that this piece is hard. Hmm.
if it involves reading little black notes on staff paper and its on on flute its hard.!

Now I am on Aloutte. I have a tendency to play what I hear. Not whats on the paper!
Another cute and familiar song for me to look forward to. Yes, I have to also be very careful whenever I'm playing a familiar piece because I can easily skip a note and not realize it. Good observation because that means we're not actually reading every note or paying attention to the counts and lengths of each note at all. This may be good for the experienced pianists who can improvise but definitely not for us beginners at this point.

My piano lessons are going nowhere now. I am spending more time on the carillon keyboard. (mew mew mew) [/QUOTE]

That's really too bad. Why is that?

Its real simple,I only will have another week to enjoy this wonderful instrument then I hit the road for shows in OK,OH and VA as well as KS. I wont be back until 6 months,. so its gonna a bell-less existance for a while. So I am on this for 3 days a week for about 45 minutes at a time. I also have a tendency to practice the rhythems for the carillon stuff on the piano so the alfred's stuff isnt gettiing the practice it needs.
I used to look forward to hitting the road...now its crud I gotta leave...wish I could take a year off and learn this wonderful amazing instrument. But I need to work for a living and I am real fortunate that I have been able to do what I am doing and know it.
Once I get to OK,and hang with the buddies I will be ok.

I am thinking about doing VARf because there are 2 carillons withen 2 hours of the festival site. If thats not a bullsh*t reason for chosing a show,I dont know what is. its a long drive from OK to VA however and I would be there for 3 weeks then have to haul butt to Ohio. I would rather come back here,get 3 weeks of lessons and then head to ohio. My business partner thinks I am nutz for this. He keeps saying TCB, take care of business. I get more done in 1 day then he does in a week.

then its back to the piano and Alfred's when I am on the road.
when on the road,I hit the piano for 45 minutes for 3 days.
But it's good that you are working hard with the carillon, and even made great progress according to your later post.

Went back today and worked on the 2nd piece a bit. Here is the spooky part,I have most of Skater's memorized. I have to play the same stuff over and over again so I learn it. thus it gets memorized. I did not realize I was memorizing the piece until today. I have about a half hour to go I think until I get it down to passable.. (I hope). There was a couple sitting outside the restaurent so I quit before I had it done. I did not know they wer there until I wsa getting ready to do some real slow stuff. No one wants to eat dinner to the same darn piece being played ad nausuem. (oh gods) wish the practice keyboard was working..... :rolleyes:

Congrats! It goes to show once again that hard work does pay off. Good for you. Keep up the great work!

Key Notes smile [/b][/QUOTE]

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 #1070954
04/18/08 12:11 AM
04/18/08 12:11 AM
Elsewhere-now Texas
1silkyferret Offline
1silkyferret  Offline

Elsewhere-now Texas
Originally posted by redeagle:
I'd like to introduce myself. My daughter has studied piano for almost 2 years (and loves it) using an inexpensive Yamaha keyboard. She really likes her lessons and we finally went ahead and purchased an acoustic upright for her. I've always wanted to play an instrument but thought I was "too old" to start and my fingers were "too short" for piano. However, when we received the piano, there was some great feeling about just sitting at the bench and playing with the keys. I decided I just had to try and learn.

Coolness, glad you're here. The more the merrier.
I have real small hands. When I was in Ireland I was going to get a custom D flute. A tracing was done of my hands and the flutemaker said he didnt make flutes for children! I was 19. When I started piano lessons I could span 7 keys. Now its 9. I trashed the back of my right hand for that however.

Like most new members, I lurked the PW forums for a while and learned a lot...browing this forum showed me you could start at any age and that it was not as hard as it looked. I've purchased the Alfred's Adult All-in-one books 1 and 2 and so far am on pg 47. I have just mastered playing the two versions of "Saints go marching on" and it feels really great. I will try and participate as much as possible in the forum, but don't get to the PC very often. Thanks and good luck to everyone here.
Regards,
Al
Sounds like you are real talented.

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 #1070955
04/18/08 06:34 AM
04/18/08 06:34 AM
Chocolatetown, USA
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member
TrapperJohn  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Chocolatetown, USA
Hmm, very interesting. I might have to try this too. Thanks JF. smile
Hi Key Notes - yes, it can be very interesting and you should try it - it's just a matter of adding a little enhancement or embellishment to your practice pieces as you expend alot of time & energy working thru them with dedication day by day and week by week.

Relatively simple techniques like adding a 2nd ending or intro onto a piece can really spice it up somewhat and make your whole experience a little more enjoyable - besides adding another dimension to your growing skills as a pianist and an "artist".

Note, in this regard, that it isn't always necessary to repeat the entire last line - usually just the last phrase is good enough (which may sometimes start in the middle of a measure). Use the phrase marks over the melody as a guide. Try using this same phrase as an intro. In both cases it's often effective to play this phrase a little slower (and softer) when used as a repeat of the ending or as an intro.

Another often used technique is to take that last phrase and repeat it as a 2nd ending - but then double the values of each note in the phrase. This, of course, doubles the measures in the phrase. And it has the natural effect of slowing down the tempo and emphasizing the finality of the ending. This is used alot in pop music.

There are several other techniques you can use for enhancement but I'll save them for later.

As usual, nice "talking" to you and have fun!

Regards, JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 #1070956
04/18/08 10:01 AM
04/18/08 10:01 AM
Chicago
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Chicago
Originally posted by PMcG316:
Okay... I need some serious help with "He's got the whole world in his hands" I simply cannot bring these rhythms together. I can play the melody & bass line perfectly by itself, but bringing them together seems beyond my brain power. Reading the connected 8th notes and syncopated notes does throw me off a little, but I think it's more of a hand separation issue.

Uh, oh. This one is coming up soon for me. I was counting on it being easy, as Little Brown Jug and (now) Chiapanecas gave (are giving) me fits.

Casio Ap-200
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 #1070957
04/18/08 08:36 PM
04/18/08 08:36 PM
Elsewhere-now Texas
1silkyferret Offline
1silkyferret  Offline

Elsewhere-now Texas
Fed my addiction. Man that was fun.
Have another lesson tomorrow.
I will have access to practice keyboards when I am doing Ohio and KC
doing the happy dance!!!!

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 #1070958
04/18/08 09:51 PM
04/18/08 09:51 PM
CA
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member
Key Notes  Offline
500 Post Club Member

CA
[qb] Hmm, very interesting. I might have to try this too. Thanks JF. smile
an "artist".
smile cool

Note, in this regard, that it isn't always necessary to repeat the entire last line - usually just the last phrase is good enough (which may sometimes start in the middle of a measure). Use the phrase marks over the melody as a guide. Try using this same phrase as an intro. In both cases it's often effective to play this phrase a little slower (and softer) when used as a repeat of the ending or as an intro.

Another often used technique is to take that last phrase and repeat it as a 2nd ending - but then double the values of each note in the phrase. This, of course, doubles the measures in the phrase. And it has the natural effect of slowing down the tempo and emphasizing the finality of the ending. This is used alot in pop music.

There are several other techniques you can use for enhancement but I'll save them for later.

As usual, nice "talking" to you and have fun!

Regards, JF
[/QUOTE]

You know JF, too bad you live so far away or I would've love to and ask you to be my piano instructor and, umm..., "borrow" your hands-on expertise, with the explecit permission of your dear wife of course. smile

Thank you so much for such wonderful insider's tips and advise as always! It definitely makes sense and I will definitely try it. The beginning and ending of any pieces would definitely be the perfect places to add embellishments.

I know that you are spoon-feeding me with your piano knowledge and wisdoms, and it's always nice and comforting to know that there will be more coming. Ater all, you are wise enough to know not to overwhelm a complete beginner. thumb

Just a bit of an update if you care to know, I started to play "When the Saints Go Marching In" (With RH Melody & LH Chords) last night and it's super fun switching and coordinating the timing between all of the bass chords. I've already gone beyond what I thought that I would be able to do on the piano at this point, just a little over four weeks. I have huge dreams of how well I would like to be able to play and while I may or may not ever get there, I'm already extremely happy just knowing that I can and will be able to learn how to play this wonderful instrument after all. yippie

Thank you so much once again and have a fantastic day!

Best Regards,

Key Notes smile

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 #1070959
04/19/08 04:15 AM
04/19/08 04:15 AM
Chocolatetown, USA
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member
TrapperJohn  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Chocolatetown, USA
I know that you are spoon-feeding me with your piano knowledge and wisdoms, and it's always nice and comforting to know that there will be more coming. Ater all, you are wise enough to know not to overwhelm a complete beginner. thumb

Well, the hard, cold truth is that I'm not really "spoon-feeding" you, as you say, since I'm not that particularly knowledgable or wise (especially compared to alot of veteran players/posters here at PW) - I just have a few tidbits of little "tricks" that I've picked up along the way so far that I enjoy sharing.

And I'm not too sure how much longer they will keeping coming - I'm "running on fumes" now wink and I couldn't overwhelm a beginner if I tried since I'm pretty much still one myself.

Like I said in a previous post, one of these days in the not too distant future you'll be giving me tips and little tricks to try! smile

And do you really think that California & Pennsylvania are too far apart to get together for a jam session now and then? I guess we could do that electronically!

Regards, JF

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 #1070960
04/19/08 06:54 AM
04/19/08 06:54 AM
Jersey Shore
M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
Mark...  Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
M

Jersey Shore
Originally posted by PMcG316:

Since you have the hands separate down, now only do hands together really slow and build up speed over time. It might take a while to get it to full speed. But over time you will get it...

good kuck

Mark...

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 #1070961
04/19/08 07:05 AM
04/19/08 07:05 AM
Jersey Shore
M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
Mark...  Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
M

Jersey Shore
Just a reminder I'm still looking for good recordings for book one pieces to use as a reference. I will add them to the opening post. It doesn't matter how early in the book the piece is either...

Thanks

Mark...

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 #1070962
04/19/08 07:30 AM
04/19/08 07:30 AM
CA
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member
Key Notes  Offline
500 Post Club Member

CA
I can't believe that I'm still up at this hour practicing "When the Saints Go Marching Home".

JohnFrank, I just got through trying what you suggested and it made the songs sounded so much better, with so much more dimensions and a lot more fun to play. I'm not sure that I was doing it correctly though but I added the last measure to be the soft intro of the beginning of the song and repeated it slowly and softly at the end of the song as well.

I actually got a recording of one of my better attempt. Yeah! I love the instant record and play back feature of the dp. It really helps me to hear where I've made all of the mistakes, especially the slightly longer pauses that I can't hear while playing.

Thanks again.

Key Notes smile

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 #1070963
04/19/08 09:52 PM
04/19/08 09:52 PM
Elsewhere-now Texas
1silkyferret Offline
1silkyferret  Offline

Elsewhere-now Texas
Well I got the 1st complement from my carillon teacher today!!!He said I am finally getting it!
I spent over 4 hours on the 2 pieces this week. Knuckles hurt a bit. I am a wimp.
My sightreading still sucks. I tend to play a few notes, and stare,2 bars and stare. I just have no business trying to do that. On piano when I have a piece I look at it for about 10 minutes and then try the right hand 1st. Then after a few times the left. And mind you that is with Alfred's. Far simpler stuff then I do on carillon.

John Frank has some great ideas on how to make Alfred's more interesting. Thank you John.
Why do jigs sound so bad on piano????

Flute filter works far faster.

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 #1070964
04/20/08 06:58 PM
04/20/08 06:58 PM
Chocolatetown, USA
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member
TrapperJohn  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Chocolatetown, USA
I can't believe that I'm still up at this hour practicing "When the Saints Go Marching Home".

JohnFrank, I just got through trying what you suggested and it made the songs sounded so much better, with so much more dimensions and a lot more fun to play. I'm not sure that I was doing it correctly though but I added the last measure to be the soft intro of the beginning of the song and repeated it slowly and softly at the end of the song as well.

I actually got a recording of one of my better attempt. Yeah! I love the instant record and play back feature of the dp. It really helps me to hear where I've made all of the mistakes, especially the slightly longer pauses that I can't hear while playing.

Thanks again.

Key Notes smile
Key Notes - way to go! I'm glad you tried it and liked it - just simple things like that add a nice, more artistic touch tio even the most basic pieces.

If, as you say, you added the "last measure" as an intro and then repeated it as a 2nd ending, that's fine.

As an alternative, you could have done the same thing with most of the original last line, statrting with the E above the word "When" in the 1st measure of the last line, and then using that entire 3 1/2 measures as your intro and 2nd ending. When you play it as a 2nd ending hold the C in the very last partial measure for 2 counts, so that when you go back to the 1st measure in that last line you'll be playing the E on count 3 (balancing out the counts).

Maybe that's a little too much right now, but it will give you an idea of the possibilities.

And, yes, you're right about recording everything you study - you get immediate feedback and it helps you smooth out your playing. I use this feature on my DP all the time.

Good luck and above all have fun! smile

Regards, JF

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 #1070965
04/20/08 08:45 PM
04/20/08 08:45 PM
New Jersey
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member
mom3gram  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

New Jersey
I'm still working on "Brown Eyes", "Alpine Melody" and the song without a name that comes right after "Alpine Melody". Wonder why they didn't name it?? It looks like the next few are easier ones in Middle C position which I've already had experience with in the Bastien books.

I also purchased the Fabers Adult Book and have started on it. I haven't gotten very far yet, so I don't know how I'm going to like it. It's quite a bit different than Alfred's so far.

1Silkyferret - good going on the carillon. Your knuckles will get used to it. Wish I could hear you play.

Key Notes - sounds like you are having fun improvising with "Saints". I'll have to try that next time I review that one.

mom3gram

ALFRED'S ADULT BOOK 1 GRADUATE
Faber Adult PA Bk. 1 Graduate
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 #1070966
04/20/08 10:36 PM
04/20/08 10:36 PM
CA
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member
Key Notes  Offline
500 Post Club Member

CA
Originally posted by Mark...:
Just a reminder I'm still looking for good recordings for book one pieces to use as a reference. I will add them to the opening post. It doesn't matter how early in the book the piece is either...

Thanks

Mark...
Hi Mark..., I don't know if you are referring to the CD that comes with the Alred's All-In-One, book 1, or the Adult Beginner, book 1 and someone's personal recordings of those pieces. Just a suggestion and I'm not sure if you've already done this but perhaps someone in book 2 or 3 thread may be able to help you out since they've already went through them(?).

Good luck to you.

Key Notes smile

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 #1070967
04/20/08 10:46 PM
04/20/08 10:46 PM
Elsewhere-now Texas
1silkyferret Offline
1silkyferret  Offline

Elsewhere-now Texas
Originally posted by mom3gram:
I'm still working on "Brown Eyes", "Alpine Melody" and the song without a name that comes right after "Alpine Melody". Wonder why they didn't name it?? It looks like the next few are easier ones in Middle C position which I've already had experience with in the Bastien books.

I also purchased the Fabers Adult Book and have started on it. I haven't gotten very far yet, so I don't know how I'm going to like it. It's quite a bit different than Alfred's so far.

1Silkyferret - good going on the carillon. Your knuckles will get used to it. Wish I could hear you play.
HI Mom3gram,
Trust me,your not missing anything. I still suck at it.
I do this for fun. I went to the tower again today. Its in a mall that is closed on Sundays. NO ears to assault. Plus my mate needed to do an errand 6 miles from it. 2 birds one stone..gas is 3.40 a gal now. Played some scales which I do very little of normally. Anyway I was playing some Tull today. Bouree,and the Last Huzzah. Works different on flute,trust me. I only got in 30 minutes but that is better than nothing.

Key Notes - sounds like you are having fun improvising with "Saints". I'll have to try that next time I review that one.

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 #1070968
04/20/08 11:00 PM
04/20/08 11:00 PM
CA
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member
Key Notes  Offline
500 Post Club Member

CA
[/qb]
Key Notes - way to go! I'm glad you tried it and liked it - just simple things like that add a nice, more artistic touch tio even the most basic pieces.

If, as you say, you added the "last measure" as an intro and then repeated it as a 2nd ending, that's fine.

As an alternative, you could have done the same thing with most of the original last line, statrting with the E above the word "When" in the 1st measure of the last line, and then using that entire 3 1/2 measures as your intro and 2nd ending. When you play it as a 2nd ending hold the C in the very last partial measure for 2 counts, so that when you go back to the 1st measure in that last line you'll be playing the E on count 3 (balancing out the counts).

Maybe that's a little too much right now, but it will give you an idea of the possibilities.

And, yes, you're right about recording everything you study - you get immediate feedback and it helps you smooth out your playing. I use this feature on my DP all the time.

Good luck and above all have fun! smile

Regards, JF [/QB][/QUOTE]

Fantastic! It sounded even better! thumb It definitely added so much more demensions and moods. I love it! Luckily it's not too much for me to absorb at this point, I understand exactly what you are saying since you were so explicit in your instructions. Thank you so much for taking the time to spell it all out. I truly appreciate it. smile smile smile

Yes, it does makes a lot of sense that you would have to hold down the C in the last partial measure for 2 more counts to have a smoother transition and to combine and complete the last and the first half measure of the last line to be 4 counts. I don't know if that makes sense but I'm sure you know what I mean. laugh

Once again, thank you so much for sharing your experiences and knowledge with me, and adding even more joy into my learning experiences. smile

Best Regards,

Key Notes smile

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 #1070969
04/20/08 11:15 PM
04/20/08 11:15 PM
CA
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member
Key Notes  Offline
500 Post Club Member

CA
Originally posted by mom3gram:

Hi mom3gram, Yes! I'm having lots of fun. I stayed up until 4:30 am on Fiday just to practice until I can't focus anymore. eek help But then I knew that I didn't have to get up too early on Sat. morning.

You should definitely try what JohnFrank suggested. It sounded so much better, more rich and well, sophisticated, if you can imagine with a song like "When the Saints Go Marching In".

By the way, how is your "notespeller" materials working out for you? Does it help you read the notes better and faster?

Key Notes smile

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 #1070970
04/21/08 01:08 PM
04/21/08 01:08 PM
Chicago
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Chicago
Mark, I haven't figured out a reasonable way to record on our old upright. Of course, given its flaws, I am not sure I would want to subject the rest of you to anything I might record, even if I could.

I am talking to someone about a Craigslist posting on a used Privia... if that works out, I will begin posting recordings soon on anything that's missing.

Casio Ap-200
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 #1070971
04/22/08 04:01 PM
04/22/08 04:01 PM
Ohio
Ken62 Offline
Ken62  Offline

Ohio
Hello everyone,

I'll soon be joining you all in travelling through Alfred's All-in-one Book One.
I expect my book to arrive on Thursday.

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 #1070972
04/23/08 04:01 PM
04/23/08 04:01 PM
Chocolatetown, USA
TrapperJohn Offline
3000 Post Club Member
TrapperJohn  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Chocolatetown, USA
Key Notes (and anyone else interested) - here is an example of what you can do to "embellish" a simple piece, which will show you how much difference even a few enhancements can make to a short, basic work.

This is a piece from near the end of Alfred Book 2 called "Black is the Color of My True Love's Hair" (title is almost as long as the piece). The first version is played just as it appears in the Book (with no repeats, etc.). Here it is:

Black is the Color

The second version repeats the entire piece, with a short transition between the first & second play-thrus, and then repeats the last phrase with a slight slowing of tempo. Here it is:

Black is the Color - embellished .

You can add endings/intros/repeats to just about every piece you study to increase their appeal - but always learn the original book arrangement well first.

Regards, JF

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 #1070973
04/23/08 04:17 PM
04/23/08 04:17 PM
Jersey Shore
M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
Mark...  Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
M

Jersey Shore
Originally posted by Ken62:
Hello everyone,

I'll soon be joining you all in travelling through Alfred's All-in-one Book One.
I expect my book to arrive on Thursday.
Good to hear Ken...welcome. There are many nice methods out there but Alfred has really worked well for many of us...

Mark...

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 #1070974
04/23/08 04:27 PM
04/23/08 04:27 PM
Ohio
Ken62 Offline
Ken62  Offline

Ohio
Nice

My book arrived a day early, love when that happens.

I get to start alittle in the book before heading out to work tonight.
Gonna be away all weekend though, so will have re-start again Monday.
--------------------------------------
JohnFrank,
Nice... am not quite ready for that, but alittle foreknowledge is a good thing.
Looking forward to applying the technique.

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 #1070975
04/23/08 09:12 PM
04/23/08 09:12 PM
Massapequa, NY
hotkeys Offline
500 Post Club Member
hotkeys  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Massapequa, NY
I am working from the Alfred book one as well.

I have the all in one and basic editions. There is more theory in the all in one and I started over from the beginning when I realized my hand was in the wrong place on the keyboard. eek Getting use to it now!

I have a tendency to rush through lessons in the book so I slow down and repeat the exercises slower. I learned a lot in the past few weeks and additional exercises as well. I also viewed the piano exercises at Expert Village as well (Dani Rhodes is the instructor).

I feel I am getting better at my playing, even if these are baby steps. smile

- Mark

...The ultimate joy in music is the joy of playing the piano...
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 #1070976
04/23/08 09:48 PM
04/23/08 09:48 PM
Jersey Shore
M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
Mark...  Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
M

Jersey Shore
Originally posted by Always Wanted to Play Piano:

I am talking to someone about a Craigslist posting on a used Privia... if that works out, I will begin posting recordings soon on anything that's missing.
That would be great...let me know

Page 28 of 268 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 267 268

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Problem with sound on Yamaha DGX-630?
by Sophiex. 11/17/18 06:34 PM
YAMAHA FC3 SUSTAIN PEDAL SQUEAKS
by MooganDavid. 11/17/18 06:28 PM
Purchased Baldwin R Grand. What to expect...
by Ecogirl2206. 11/17/18 06:08 PM
Great pianists who don't/didn't play Liszt
by pianoloverus. 11/17/18 05:54 PM
DP around $ 1000
by orangeman. 11/17/18 05:51 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,388
Posts2,762,044
Members91,513
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission