Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
PIANO TEACHERS Please read this!
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

Who's Online Now
78 registered members (AprilE, Artur Gajewski, bambooninja, Beowulf, Anticlock, 15shoes, akressevich, Bett, anotherscott, 19 invisible), 1,041 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 32 of 407 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 406 407
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 #1070757
02/23/08 10:42 PM
02/23/08 10:42 PM
Japan
mullyman Offline
mullyman  Offline

Japan
Has the mistake in the Albert's book been discussed here yet? I've got the "All in One" with the CD. Track 51 in the book is Lavender's Blue but track 51 on the CD is Kum-ba-yah! Track 52 in the book is Kum-ba-yah but it's track 51 on the disc. I'm assuming this hasn't gone unnoticed on this forum but I'm not going through 25 pages looking for it. If anyone else is just starting out with this book and CD and you haven't seen this discussed then here ya go. The book and the CD are reversed at tracks 51 and 52.
MULLY
thinking about notifying whoever makes Alfred's and letting them know I want an updated CD

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 #1070758
02/24/08 03:41 PM
02/24/08 03:41 PM
Chicago
Always Wanted to Play Piano Offline
500 Post Club Member
Always Wanted to Play Piano  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Chicago
I thought there was a mistake on page 85 (Kum-Ba-Yah). In measure 8, the music calls for a RH D and a LH G (both whole notes). For the life of me, I could not get this to sound right. I ended up crossing out the LH and playing a LH D / F second, which felt right.

On to Lone Star Waltz now. Those of you who have completed this, have you gotten to the point where you didn't need to keep your eyes on the keyboard? There is a lot of movement going on in this piece, and my aim is poor right now. I have to watch the keyboard.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Casio Ap-200
Almost midway thru Alfred's All-In-One Book Two
Blogging my family's piano learning experiences: http://aw2pp.blogspot.com/
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 #1070759
02/24/08 10:34 PM
02/24/08 10:34 PM
US, PA
apollo33 Offline
apollo33  Offline

US, PA
Originally posted by Always Wanted to Play Piano:
I thought there was a mistake on page 85 (Kum-Ba-Yah). In measure 8, the music calls for a RH D and a LH G (both whole notes). For the life of me, I could not get this to sound right. I ended up crossing out the LH and playing a LH D / F second, which felt right.
It sounds right as written to me. It's another form of the G7 chord, and it occurs again right before the end of the piece. Did you change it there also? Without the G I think the D and F sound more like a D minor chord instead of G7.

On to Lone Star Waltz now. Those of you who have completed this, have you gotten to the point where you didn't need to keep your eyes on the keyboard? There is a lot of movement going on in this piece, and my aim is poor right now. I have to watch the keyboard.
I just tried and had to look. But I think you should be able to play the first 8 without looking, then look at the right when it does sixths, and then at both when the left does sixths. I find that if I try to watch either the music or my hands the whole time, it always screws me up. Memorizing is a big help.

Going back to earlier parts of the book, I hardly remember the songs, and it's kind of like starting over... except that I recognize the chords a little better. Is that normal?

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 #1070760
02/25/08 03:35 PM
02/25/08 03:35 PM
Savannah,Ga
Naked Shaman Offline
Naked Shaman  Offline

Savannah,Ga
Hey Boys & Girls,
Chris here. Brand new member. A good friend of mine (who is also my piano tech) gave me a copy of Grand Obsession yesterday. OMG , I have only read the first three or four chapters but it is amazing how I relate to this book. It's receipt was very timely I as was getting very discpuraged with my lessons.

I am 51yrs old and started taking lessons for my 50th Birthday. I actually don't count the first year as I was so intimidated and overwhelmed by the process that I have only just gotten to the point where I feel as if I am actually learning something. Am using the Albert book along w/additional pieces my Teacher gives me.

It is so cool that I have found this site. Between this and the book I have a whole new attitude towards my journey to becomming a PLAYER!!!!

Lots more later,
Chris

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 #1070761
02/26/08 12:19 AM
02/26/08 12:19 AM
G
Grumbles Offline
Grumbles  Offline
G

A quick introduction; I am 30 (as of 2 weeks ago *gulp*) and I have been messing around with piano for a few years. NOTHING SERIOUS, just fiddling with the piano that my wife got from her family. After reading this thread, I broke down and picked up the book on Saturday. I previously had been messing around with some elementary school versions of movie themes, but that is about the extent of my piano skills. I did play brass for years, so I am familiar enough with the bass clef, treble... Well, don't get me started.

I made it up to Jingle Bells in a day or so, but this one has got me going crazy. I can play the first 3 lines, but that forth line gets me every time. What I am wondering is how do we not go crazy as we practice? I am SO sick of hearing myself play this one. If it were any other song, I would be fine. But why oh why did they introduce the hands together with Jingle Bells?!?

I will get over it soon. My goal has been to master each song before moving on, but I am tempted just to say good enough on this one. I will force myself through it though. smile

I must say, this site is great. I just found it last week; I can't even say how inspiring it is to hear the recital songs. It is cool to hear where other people after about a year or two into their playing. I can't wait to learn a few numbers; I am looking at you Raisons and Almonds... wink

Does anyone have any suggestions for a brand new player? Anything you know now but wish you would have known earlier?

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 #1070762
02/26/08 01:16 AM
02/26/08 01:16 AM
New Jersey
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member
mom3gram  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

New Jersey
Hi, Grumbles! It was just a week or two ago that I was struggling through Jingle Bells, and now I'm pretty much done with the two Saints. I still get a little hung up sometimes with the right hand F and G7 chords, but most of the time I'm okay with them. Suggestions? Practice, practice, practice, and patience, patience, patience.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 #1070763
02/26/08 03:20 AM
02/26/08 03:20 AM
CA
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member
Key Notes  Offline
500 Post Club Member

CA
Hi Everyone,

I'm a true beginner, still looking for my digital piano. In the meantime, I'm doing some research into what type of classes or instructions I will need.

Will it be practical and effective to work through what seems to be the popular instruction books series Alfred's Adult Method Book 1 or All-In-One on my own, or is it better to have an instructor by my side, or is it better to have both? What you all find is effective and working for you so far?

And are there any other beginners' instruction books or resources that you would recommend?

Thanks.

Key Notes

Music speaks where words fails.
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 #1070764
02/26/08 09:11 AM
02/26/08 09:11 AM
Long Island, NY
I
IamElise Offline
IamElise  Offline
I

Long Island, NY
I would say definately get the alfred's book 1 - it just seems better to me. However I also got the all in one because it has more songs and looked interesting.

Definately get a teach. you will see much much progress as oppose to going it alone.

I thought I was doing well on my own but gosh did I take off when I got my teach.

Therese

Good, better, best; never let it rest, 'till your good be better and your better - Best!
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 #1070765
02/26/08 09:57 AM
02/26/08 09:57 AM
England
Sundew Offline
Sundew  Offline

England
Hi Keynotes and welcome.

Alfred is OK. I'm not his most enthusiastic proponent and my impression from the teachers forum is he isn't overly popular over there. Apologies for any wrong impression. I think you will find the consensus is we move forward faster and/or better with the right teacher but it isn't essential to get going. If you do decide to go with a teacher it might be worth seeing what methodology they use before you buy anything.

I was bored with Alfred after 3 months {the basic, I never tried the All in One} and have tried several methods. They each bring something new for me, but methods such as Aarons I think would be best for a complete beginner to leave alone or work through with a teacher. Quite a few forum members have used Faber Adult Adventures. I've completed Book 1 and enjoyed it. I also like the Hal Leonard Adult, which has pretty tunes on the accompanying CD's, and is much slower paced than Alfred IMO. Good for a complete beginner.

There is so much supplemental material available it can be hard to discriminate as to what may or may not help. I glean ideas from reading old forum posts and see what others recommend or suggest. I have also spent a lot of time in music stores!

Good luck and whatever route you take, enjoy. smile

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 #1070766
02/26/08 10:13 AM
02/26/08 10:13 AM
Savannah,Ga
Naked Shaman Offline
Naked Shaman  Offline

Savannah,Ga
Originally posted by Naked Shaman:
Hey Boys & Girls,
Chris here. Brand new member. A good friend of mine (who is also my piano tech) gave me a copy of Grand Obsession yesterday. OMG , I have only read the first three or four chapters but it is amazing how I relate to this book. It's receipt was very timely I as was getting very discpuraged with my lessons.

I am 51yrs old and started taking lessons for my 50th Birthday. I actually don't count the first year as I was so intimidated and overwhelmed by the process that I have only just gotten to the point where I feel as if I am actually learning something. Am using the Albert book along w/additional pieces my Teacher gives me.

It is so cool that I have found this site. Between this and the book I have a whole new attitude towards my journey to becomming a PLAYER!!!!

Lots more later,
Chris
Umm , I meant ALFREDS , up to page 30. And I am discouraged. And I play piano as poorly as I type.............

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 #1070767
02/26/08 11:18 AM
02/26/08 11:18 AM
Maryland
rodmichael Offline
rodmichael  Offline

Maryland
I'm 61 and got my absolute first exposure to reading music and the piano two weeks ago. I started Book 1 then and have my third instructor lesson this afternoon. I'm on page 26 or so, just learning how incapable I am with my 4th & 5th fingers in trying to execute harmonic thirds. I've been stumped there for the past week just trying to get my fingers to obey (they're improving, slowly).

Generally, I try to repeat a lot of the first pages before I advance forward in the book, just to warm up the digits and reinforce some fundamental techniques.

I have an instructor who corrects my technique, gives me encouragement and weekly goals, and listens to my progress each week. Advancement through the book has so far been at my pace, and I feel I'm moving quickly, but I have no certain reference point for that. In some ways, skimming through this forum, I get the impression that I may be a laggard.

I try to practice 1 to 2 hours daily in 30 to 40 minute segments.

My major supplemental to Alfreds has been to order (not yet received) Alana's Beginner Finger Exercises and Hanon and Czerny's exercises in an effort to improve flexibility and independence of my fingers.

I am registered for Summer Keys in Lubec, ME for this July and hope that experience will provide a bit of oomph to Alfreds.

Rod Michael
Mason & Hamlin AA, SN 93018
Yamaha CGP-1000, SN UCNZ01010
Zoom Q3

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 #1070768
02/26/08 02:21 PM
02/26/08 02:21 PM
Chicago
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Chicago
Originally posted by Key Notes:
Hi Everyone,

I'm a true beginner, still looking for my digital piano. In the meantime, I'm doing some research into what type of classes or instructions I will need.

Will it be practical and effective to work through what seems to be the popular instruction books series Alfred's Adult Method Book 1 or All-In-One on my own, or is it better to have an instructor by my side, or is it better to have both? What you all find is effective and working for you so far?

And are there any other beginners' instruction books or resources that you would recommend?

Thanks.

Key Notes
Hi, Key Notes. And welcome. Fellow true beginner here... I have been learning for all of 6 weeks or so now.

So far, I am going solo. I am trying to supplement what I am learning from Alfred's by using Youtube videos and asking questions here. I am sure that if I had a teacher, I would be making better progress than I have, but I am not disappointed at this point. HOWEVER, I am under no delusions about how far I can take myself. I understand that I will have to get a teacher at some point.

Casio Ap-200
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 #1070769
02/26/08 02:25 PM
02/26/08 02:25 PM
Chicago
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Chicago
Originally posted by apollo33:

[b]On to Lone Star Waltz now. Those of you who have completed this, have you gotten to the point where you didn't need to keep your eyes on the keyboard? There is a lot of movement going on in this piece, and my aim is poor right now. I have to watch the keyboard.
I just tried and had to look. But I think you should be able to play the first 8 without looking, then look at the right when it does sixths, and then at both when the left does sixths. I find that if I try to watch either the music or my hands the whole time, it always screws me up. Memorizing is a big help.

Going back to earlier parts of the book, I hardly remember the songs, and it's kind of like starting over... except that I recognize the chords a little better. Is that normal? [/b]
Thanks for the response, apollo. I would like it very much if you could continue to revisit this thread periodically. One of the most informative things about this thread is hearing from those of you who have already gone down this path. In particular, I find it very useful hearing about the difficulties y'all had with various pieces, and how you were able to overcome them.

As to Lone Star Waltz, I have played it enough to where I don't really need the music. It is a VERY simple piece, musically. So I do find myself looking at the keyboard pretty much all the time. The transition I am having the most trouble with is the transition from the D.C. al Fine back to the beginning.

More practice.

Casio Ap-200
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 #1070770
02/26/08 08:59 PM
02/26/08 08:59 PM
US, PA
apollo33 Offline
apollo33  Offline

US, PA
Originally posted by Always Wanted to Play Piano:
Thanks for the response, apollo. I would like it very much if you could continue to revisit this thread periodically.
You actually welcomed me to the forum in this thread back on page 23, and that's when I started the book smile . So I'm by no means an expert, and I'm still always coming to this thread 'cause it's the book I'm on. I'm probably just going through it faster than I should be.

If anyone's interested or would like to help me with constructive criticism, the other day I posted a video on YouTube of me playing "Good People" from Alfred's All-In-One on page 117 (I embellished a few sections, in case anyone wonders). This and two other jazz songs in nearby pages make me really glad I got this version of the book. I could play these songs all day.

Basically I just want to know if my technique is decent, but looking at the video myself I think it's pretty hard to tell anything. Can anyone recommend a technique book that's good enough for me to understand how I should be playing, or is it just impossible without a teacher?

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 #1070771
02/27/08 01:44 AM
02/27/08 01:44 AM
Elsewhere-now Texas
1silkyferret Offline
1silkyferret  Offline

Elsewhere-now Texas
I started this whole mess in Dec and am sort of up to page 80 in Alfred's. I need to clean up a few pieces but mostly have Alouette down.
Its taking real disipline with the tasty drum jams wiyhe 50 feet from my door. Last night I hit the jam. Considering the killer weekends here I only get 3 or 4 practce sessions a week!

When I am not on the road I get 4 or 5 sessions a week depending on what my paws say.

how long do most of you guys take to learn one of these pieces.
This 2 hands together stuff is HARD!
I looked at the Hanon stuff, looks hard and boring. Any ideas?

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 #1070772
02/27/08 03:37 AM
02/27/08 03:37 AM
CA
Key Notes Offline
500 Post Club Member
Key Notes  Offline
500 Post Club Member

CA
Thank you Sundew and Always Wanted to Play Piano for your warm welcome and responses. I truly appreciate them.

It's quite encouraging and inspiring to learn of yours and some of the others' learning experiences. I did suspected that eventually I will need to get an instructor as well, but until I find the right one, I wanted to get going on my own first. Your input and suggestions on the various materials and resources are greatly appreciate it.

Congratulations on all of your progresses and keep up the great work! smile

Music speaks where words fails.
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 #1070773
02/27/08 09:05 AM
02/27/08 09:05 AM
Savannah,Ga
Naked Shaman Offline
Naked Shaman  Offline

Savannah,Ga
I have ordered the CD for Book 1. Does anyone else have it and does it help??

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 #1070774
02/27/08 09:15 AM
02/27/08 09:15 AM
Cambridgeshire, UK
BazC Offline
500 Post Club Member
BazC  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Cambridgeshire, UK
Originally posted by Naked Shaman:
I have ordered the CD for Book 1. Does anyone else have it and does it help??
Yes I find it useful, be aware that the backing is on the left channel and the piano is on the right so you can isolate them to hear the piano more clearly or you can silence the piano and play along to the backing.

[Linked Image]
Korg SP200, Pianoteq
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 #1070775
02/27/08 09:46 AM
02/27/08 09:46 AM
New Jersey
mom3gram Offline
1000 Post Club Member
mom3gram  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

New Jersey
Yes, the CD does help - I haven't tried playing along, but when I have doubts about what I am playing I can pop the CD in and hear how it's supposed to sound. But, PianoNoob has recorded his playing of all the Alfred songs on Youtube for anyone who can't get the CD.

I've just dropped the previously dreaded Jingle Bells from my daily practice, and picked up Love Somebody. That's the first song in G position - a little confusing, but not as much as I expected. It's nice to have the fingering numbers to fall back on.

On Saturday I will be leaving for a trip that will keep me away from my keyboard for about 10 days. I'm wondering how far I will backslide with no practice for 10 days. Have any other "true beginners" missed 10 days of practice, and how badly did it hurt your ability to play?

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 #1070776
02/27/08 10:05 AM
02/27/08 10:05 AM
Cambridgeshire, UK
BazC Offline
500 Post Club Member
BazC  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Cambridgeshire, UK
Hi Mom! I've recently missed about 5-6 days due to a combination of illness and work pressures. I haven't regressed as much as I thought I would so I wouldn't worry too much! Maybe you could get your hands on a piano for a quick tinkle while you're away? Music shop or maybe bar or hotel. Just a few minutes here and there might help to keep things in your memory?

[Linked Image]
Korg SP200, Pianoteq
Page 32 of 407 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 406 407

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
ad
Jazz Piano Online
Jazz Piano Lessons Online

New Topics - Multiple Forums
Need Roland HP170 service manual/schematic
by btsui. 01/15/19 11:15 PM
Discord Online Jamming Central server looking for pianists
by Tyrone Slothrop. 01/15/19 11:02 PM
NU1X white noise?
by Eienkei. 01/15/19 10:51 PM
What keyboard should I get???
by jbear876. 01/15/19 08:42 PM
Classical Pianist Lola Astanova in Rolling Stones magazine
by Tyrone Slothrop. 01/15/19 08:42 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics189,591
Posts2,782,174
Members92,114
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission