2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (Erinmarriott, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, 4 invisible), 1,319 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 24 of 452 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 451 452
M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by SHPiano:
I've been trucking along as best I can. I was out of town last week but I've been practicing whenever I can. I've finished "Lavender's Blue", "Kumbaya" and "Blow the Man Down" and I've started the "Lone Star Waltz" and the "Lullaby." "Blow the Man Down" is certainly tricky and I will probably continue to work on it especially to smooth out the right hand while keeping the left staccato and softer.

I had my first real lesson today. I played a few of my pieces. My teacher and I've decided that she'll focus her efforts on technique and skill development. For example, today we worked on playing the right hand in "Standing in Need of Prayer" more legato and working the crescendo and decrescendos of the phrases into and overall approach for the piece. In short we worked on the musicality of it.

I've also been working through the lessons on Teach Me Piano. However, for now I think I'll probably focus on the next few Alfred's pieces and a couple of others (a simplified Moonlight Sonata and a simplified "Christmas Time is Here") I've always liked.

Now that my Bluthner's all tuned up, I'm feeling pretty good. The Moonlight in particular sounds great even though I've only got a few measures under my fingers.
If you are playing the D minor version of Moonlight you will really like it. And on your Bluthner it will be outstanding. It took me a few months to get it down and it could still use some work, but it a fun full piece to learn. Its one of my keeper songs...

Originally posted by SHPiano:
I've been trucking along as best I can. I was out of town last week but I've been practicing whenever I can. I've finished "Lavender's Blue", "Kumbaya" and "Blow the Man Down" and I've started the "Lone Star Waltz" and the "Lullaby." "Blow the Man Down" is certainly tricky and I will probably continue to work on it especially to smooth out the right hand while keeping the left staccato and softer.

I had my first real lesson today. I played a few of my pieces. My teacher and I've decided that she'll focus her efforts on technique and skill development. For example, today we worked on playing the right hand in "Standing in Need of Prayer" more legato and working the crescendo and decrescendos of the phrases into and overall approach for the piece. In short we worked on the musicality of it.

I've also been working through the lessons on Teach Me Piano. However, for now I think I'll probably focus on the next few Alfred's pieces and a couple of others (a simplified Moonlight Sonata and a simplified "Christmas Time is Here") I've always liked.

Now that my Bluthner's all tuned up, I'm feeling pretty good. The Moonlight in particular sounds great even though I've only got a few measures under my fingers.
I am up to Lavender'sBlue also. New at keyboards, but I did a lil guitar when I was younger, so I can read the treble clef pretty well. Bass clef is tripping me up here and there, but hope to get it down. Trying to learn without the teacher for right now.

-7:
Welcome! I think Lavender's Blue was the first piece that really sounded like music to me.

I just started The Can Can yesterday and I think it's coming along reasonably well--certainly faster than I thought it would. I also ejoyed Cockles and Mussels, Smokey and the Lullaby (which still trips me up sometimes). But I find that I frequently return to Lavender's Blue.

Anyway, good luck!

Bosendorfer 225
Bluthner Style 9 (Model 4)
I began Alfred's three and a half weeks ago. I am addicted. I have been practicing upwards of 4 and 5 hours a day.

My poor wife eek
Has to listen to my terrible playing all day long.

Just a comment to Vijay. I am the same way. I can play a song all day long, and think I have it just right. I then try and record myself, or think someone is listening, and I mess up every measure.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary numbers, and those who don't.
M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by vayapues:

Just a comment to Vijay. I am the same way. I can play a song all day long, and think I have it just right. I then try and record myself, or think someone is listening, and I mess up every measure.
Welcome!

And the recording issue you mention is called "Red Dot Fever"...its a killer... laugh

P
P
Hi Gang!!

Good to see lots of activity around here. Sorry I haven't checked in for a while (eeek, a couple months). My husband and I moved across the country at the beginning of October, rather unexpectedly. I'm just now getting back to my normal routine!

If I may, I'll jump in on a few issues:

About recording...
It'll lose it's mystique and all the fear associated with it if you record all your lessons and practice sessions. :-) I'm not saying you have to listen to them (although listening to your lessons can be so helpful.)

Just have a few tapes and stick one in every time you play. Pretty soon, you'll just forget it's there. But voila! If you do something awesome you'll have proof!! Also, getting over your fear will allow you to do fun things like record one part of a duet and play along with yourself. I love doing that.

About spouses, friends, and negative comments...
Understand that even those closest to you may have no experience relating to you learning to play an instrument as an adult. It's not something our society is really supportive of. I mean, now you're supposed to have your whole career figured out in grade school so that you can get into the right college and get the right job! Sheesh!

My husband and I have both inadvertently hurt each other in new endeavors, by just saying the wrong thing at the wrong time, or making a joke during a vulnerable moment. Ouch. It might sound trite, but we've resorted to, "Hon, can I just say that what I need from you is exactly _________ because this is pretty hard for me to do." Fill in what's most important. Encouragement? Uninterrupted time to practice? Supporting me in front of other people? Whatever the case may be. Sounds overly simple, but it works. Can also be used on friends and other family as needed! LOL!

What else are you all practicing for Christmas? I've got my Jim Brickman books out...

Best,

Kim

Find some help for stage fright and share what helps you -- Stage Fright Tips. Let's learn from each other!
M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Hi Kim! Welcome back.

What did you do with your studio? Do you have to start all over?

I'm not doing anything in the Christmas area, but cleaning up Alfred Greensleeves for the holiday recital we will be having here at the forum,

Otherwise I'm deep into book two.

Mark...

P
P
Hi Mark,

Yep, I had to refer my students to other teachers. It was so hard.

The problem here is that I don't have an accessible place to teach. My husband works at home so teaching out of my place doesn't work (plus parking is very limited); renting a studio is way too expensive; and driving around here is nuts, so I'm not really up for traveling to students' houses. I'm just waiting to see what develops. Several friends have asked me to teach their kids.

In the meantime I'm trying to use the time to really pour more information and tutorials into my piano site. My Alfred's Level One is on my desk as I type! Who knows, maybe that will be where my focus is for a while. I certainly have more time to play piano myself now!

Happy Holidays!

Kim

Find some help for stage fright and share what helps you -- Stage Fright Tips. Let's learn from each other!
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Hey Kim - welcome to the great state of Washington. If you're close to Oregon, don't forget they have no sales tax.

Originally posted by Vijay:
But when yesterday when my wife wanted to make a video of my playing after my 1 hour practice session, I made a lot of mistakes hitting wrong notes. Of course, she laughed at me and was making fun by saying "Hey you were practicing all time and you are not even able to play a single piece properly". That hurt me a lot and now, I am low on confidence.
Hey Vijay, I hear ya, buddy. My wife played as a child, has no interest now, but she "knows" what it takes, and tries to be kind to me. But, every once in a while, she will hear me play something I think was perfect, and she says "That was great. I can't wait for you the get the tempo right, and you need to correct your left hand from pounding, and smooth it out". ARGGGGG.

She is alive today because I am a coward and cannot cook.

"There is nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself." Johann Sebastian Bach/Gyro
P
P
Hi Gmm1,

Well, I moved *from* the great state of WA (with no state income tax, hurray) to MA (also known as Taxachusetts). Sigh. But my husband, tech-guy and breadwinner to my 'starving artist', can get much more work here.

How's the practicing going, everyone? Are you making a little piano time in the midst of holiday craziness?

Best,

Kim

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Ah, I see. Was thrown by your "from" box, but see it's now correct.

My dad was born in Boston and I still have tons of family in the area. I am still a Red Sox / Bruin / Celtic fan. It's in my blood.

I love MA (and all of New England), but I hear ya on the taxes. I love to visit, but returning home feels good. Generally, my family is ready for me to leave after a week or two of "you know, I pay no state income tax, how about you?".

"There is nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself." Johann Sebastian Bach/Gyro
I am learning Joy To The World, on page 103. I was very proud of myself, because I played it by sight the first time.

But I have to laugh. For the life of me, I cannot play this song without thinking in my head 'joy to the world, the school burned down, and all the teachers are dead...'

Guess I sang that a bit too much as a kid.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary numbers, and those who don't.
P
P
Vayapues,

Your post made me laugh twice, once reading it, and once reading your sig line. LOL!

Perfect timing for Joy to the World. And hey, if you ever needed proof that scales do indeed exist in written music, there you go!

Gmm1 - my husband and I are both self-employed, so the tax thing is even more of a thing. It's one of the only downsides to moving back! That, and oh, the money to set up his Corporation here. Yikes.

Hope you all are enjoying the holiday season!

Kim

R
R
Okay.. so I picked up the book and am going to start on it. I also got into pianomagic, which is a fun course, but I think it's not for me. I'm going to stay with it, though, as it'll let me play around, but my primary method of instruction needs to be self-driven and a bit more "regimented" than what PianoMagic offers.

So.. here we go smile This should be fun smile

M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by redcard:
Okay.. so I picked up the book and am going to start on it. I also got into pianomagic, which is a fun course, but I think it's not for me. I'm going to stay with it, though, as it'll let me play around, but my primary method of instruction needs to be self-driven and a bit more "regimented" than what PianoMagic offers.

So.. here we go smile This should be fun smile
Good luck, be patient and keep us posted. Remember we have Piaboteacherkim and others who visit here that can offer advice...

On page 112 it says 'keep your wrists loose and quiet'?

loose I can understand, but what does it mean to keep your wrist quiet?

thanks kindly

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
I think they mean still. Don't be floppy around and moving your wrist up/down.

P
P
redcard said:

I'd like to hear more about your thoughts on Piano Magic! If you're interested in sharing more about about it, feel free to PM me. Eventually (time and $$ being the necessary factors) I want to review all the major learn-at-home lessons on my site, so that beginner pianists can really know what they're choosing from.

I think it's a great thing for you to stay with something like Piano Magic, which teaches you how to be creative at the keyboard, and also work on something with a bit more direction. I'll be interested to hear how you progress, and how you're enjoying it!

Well, Alfred's users, I finally started my tutorials for the All-in-One course. I've gotten four up this week (which are all the 'intro' pages in book one), and hopefully I can continue at the rate of at least 2-3 per week. I'll probably finish another couple today. These are just text tutorials; after the new year I'll work on getting out the video camera and doing some that way too. (Big learning curve on the video editing!!)

In January, I'm also going to start tutorials for level 2 and 3 of Alfred's -- not waiting to finish level 1, because I know a lot of you are way into the higher levels.

Anyway, if you're interested, here's the <a href="http://www.you-can-play-piano.com/alfreds-adult-piano-lessons.html">main tutorial page</a>. Scroll down to the links for Lessons 1-4.

Happy practicing!

Kim

R
R
KIm ,

I'll organize my thoughts on that and send it to you. All in all, though, I think Piano Magic is a great tool for people who want to learn to play fast. The music CAN sound good. Imagine that Scott Houston went indepth and offered a lot of personal one-on-one advice, and then taught you how to remove sheet music from the mix.

It is intriguing.. but.. the benefit is also the curse. It requires you to have some extremely creative and playful streaks in you.

All in all, it by no means is money wasted. Something to note.. .without that course, I wouldn't have a piano at all, much less Piano Magic, or Alfred's smile

So if you could pm me what you want to know, and I'll tell you what I can smile

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Well, Alfred's users, I finally started my tutorials for the All-in-One course. I've gotten four up this week (which are all the 'intro' pages in book one), and hopefully I can continue at the rate of at least 2-3 per week. I'll probably finish another couple today. These are just text tutorials; after the new year I'll work on getting out the video camera and doing some that way too. (Big learning curve on the video editing!!)

Thanks Kim, For your time and generosity, I'm sure all of us Alfred's students will benefit from your expert tutorials.

Page 24 of 452 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission