2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, brennbaer, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,874 guests, and 321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 452 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 451 452
M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by grandkey:
I need to work on moving my hands to a different spot on the keyboard. Any advice for this?
Thanks Grandkey, I'm going to leave this quote for Pianoteacherkim to address...

C
C
Originally posted by Mark737:
Originally posted by Choppin':
[b] Hi all

Does anyone know where to buy the Alfred CD for Adult couse book 1 in the UK? I have the book but no CD. I think I would be more inspired to practice if I heard the songs first. I only really feel comfortable playing songs I have already heard. Or could someone upload the songs in MP3 possibly? Even MIDI files would be great.

thanks
I'm not sure where to get only the CD, but if you go through this thread loly has kindly uploaded most of the CD'd songs...

Also you can ask the thread followers to upload a song if its not here.

I'd love to get all the songs from the book uploaded to the thread.

Mark [/b]
I can find about 8 of the songs on the other page. Where are the rest?

Choppin' the keys

Piano Blog - http://girliehands.wordpress.com

Measurement of my laziness ...but I will return!
M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by Mark737:
[b]
[b] Hi all

Does anyone know where to buy the Alfred CD for Adult couse book 1 in the UK? I have the book but no CD. I think I would be more inspired to practice if I heard the songs first. I only really feel comfortable playing songs I have already heard. Or could someone upload the songs in MP3 possibly? Even MIDI files would be great.

thanks
I'm not sure where to get only the CD, but if you go through this thread loly has kindly uploaded most of the CD'd songs...

Also you can ask the thread followers to upload a song if its not here.

I'd love to get all the songs from the book uploaded to the thread.

Mark [/b]
I can find about 8 of the songs on the other page. Where are the rest? [/b]
I guess I misspoke, I thought there were more. If there is a particular one you need, I'm sure someone here will be kind enough to upload it for you. One of my goals for these Alfred threads is to get them all uploaded here.
Also don't forget You Tube as a song resourse.

Mark

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Do you all re-start with book 1 ?

Say, you left off, decades ago perhaps, at ABRSM grade 3 going to 4, wouldn't you want to re-start with a subsequent book?

I am 'doremi' because I play scales smile
My teacher is 'domisol' because he plays chords shocked
P
P
Interesting lesson today, going from "really good" to "need practice".

I began my previous lesson reviewing the G major scale songs (pages 70-73) and seemed to play them with no real problems (And Mark, you're right about "Why Am I Blue" being a good sounding song. It's my new current favorite in the book so far).

But then the introduction of the F major scale. For the bottom of page 74, the book says to "play only with Hands Separate", but I decided to try it with Hands Together and quickly found out why it said to play only with "HS". Playing that HT is quite complicated (but slowly doable I think).

And I ended the lesson with a pitiful first attempt at "Little Brown Jug". Every mistake that exists, I made. It's a good song though, it and the following song (Chiapanecas) bring back memories of watching old Warner Brothers cartoons.

doremi: Even though I haven't much piano experience, I'm not too sure if the Alfred's series book numbering is equal to that of the ABRSM grading. But a refresher course would always be good in any case.

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Sorry, I meant to post the following on this thread instead I started a new thread:-

Is it just me? I refer to "Blow the Man Down" Page 89 Alfred's Bk1, From bar 8 through to bar 16, the G7 chord sounds dischordant...sort of...I wonder if it should or is it me?

M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by Perplexed:
But then the introduction of the F major scale. For the bottom of page 74, the book says to "play only with Hands Separate", but I decided to try it with Hands Together and quickly found out why it said to play only with "HS". Playing that HT is quite complicated (but slowly doable I think).

And I ended the lesson with a pitiful first attempt at "Little Brown Jug". Every mistake that exists, I made. It's a good song though, it and the following song (Chiapanecas) bring back memories of watching old Warner Brothers cartoons.

Little brown Jug will come to you in a couple of days. Its a nice song, but needs repetitions to get down.. But (Chiapanecas) was tough for me and not a favorite...

Sounds like your doing great and moving pretty fast...

Mark

M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by redcoat:
Sorry, I meant to post the following on this thread instead I started a new thread:-

Is it just me? I refer to "Blow the Man Down" Page 89 Alfred's Bk1, From bar 8 through to bar 16, the G7 chord sounds dischordant...sort of...I wonder if it should or is it me?
I know what your saying, but I believe its right. Maybe Kim can help,,,

Mark

M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
As for Lone Star Waltz, it's getting better as well. I need to work on moving my hands to a different spot on the keyboard. Any advice for this?
Are you speaking of GE, FD, EC, DB on the top of page 57? If so the trick for me was to nail down the first 2 notes with the 5-1 and just work off of those notes down and then later up. Does that make any sense?

Mark

G
G
Yeah, as soon as I nail the first note, the rest follows. The question was aimed at getting to that first note though. However, I'm pretty sure it's coming to me. I just need to practice it some more.

redcoat, Blow the Man Down! does sound a little wierd. I'm still trying to get used to it.

P
P
Hi all!

I need to work on moving my hands to a different spot on the keyboard. Any advice for this?
I always have my students working on something beyond whatever lesson material we're using, and this is one of the primary reasons. smile

I'm a big fan of the Piano Adventures PreTime to BigTime graded music books. They're separate from the lesson books, and don't let the names, and the fact that they're in the kid book section put you off! At every level, there's a huge range of books: pop, jazz & blues, ragtime, marches, classical, Christmas, hymns, etc. Just flip through until you find the level that most closely matches where you're at.

Any 'extra' music will achieve the same goal, whether you like the play show tunes or Top 40. Find some beginner books in a style you like and have at it! This will get you outside the box of sequential hand positions.

Best,

Kim

Find some help for stage fright and share what helps you -- Stage Fright Tips. Let's learn from each other!
P
P
Hello again!

iginally posted by redcoat:

OK, tonight I'm bringing my book home so I have it by my desk, then I'll be able to give a more in-depth answer.

But for now I'll say: there are several songs in book 1, with 7th chords, that many of my adult students responded to exactly the way you did. I think that this particular voicing of the 7th chord (which is, in fact, an 'abbreviation') just isn't quite satisying to our ears, it's too simple.

Also the fact that it's low on the keyboard, which can get murky when you have chord tones that are too close together.

Finally, if your piano is even slightly out of tune, that voicing of the 7th with grate on you a bit!

I'll play it myself today and check back in.

Best,

Kim

Find some help for stage fright and share what helps you -- Stage Fright Tips. Let's learn from each other!
Hi, I'm new to the forums.

I took lessons for about 4 years when I was a kid, but I stopped playing for over 10 years. I'm 19 now, and my interest in piano was recently rekindled.

I started playing again about 3 months ago. Right now I'm on Alfreds Basic Piano Book Level 3. It didn't take me too long to get to the 3rd one.

What definately helps you to learn is playing music you like outside of Alfred's. For instance, one of the reasons I took up piano again is so I can play songs from Final Fantasy and other video games. Along with Alfred's, I have been playing songs from Final Fantasy 7-10 OST's. There are some really nice beginner/intermediate songs in those books, and they are lot more interesting.

I've also picked up the Michael Aaron Piano Lesson books, which IMO have better songs than Alfred's.

C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
I'll play it myself today and check back in.
Thanks Kim.

What definately helps you to learn is playing music you like outside of Alfred's.
That's so right, here in the UK we have "Pianist" magazine which is published bi-monthly, it contains a lot of free sheet music and an important accompanying CD. The level starts from beginner upwards, even the beginner pieces (songs?) sound far more difficult than they are to actually play, which impresses the occasional audience I have here. The music does tend to be classically biased though, which suits me.

Hi Choppin
www.musicroom.com are offering the CD for £9.95
Judith

K
K
I can't beleive it !

I worked 30 minutes a day for 3 days on Blow The Man Down and I didn't felt that I was progressing. Trying unsuccessfully to play hands seperately. But tonight, I passed Blow The Man Down in 20 minutes at the speed its supposed !

My brain just clicked today and it feels GOOD !

Can't wait tomorrow to start the 7ths on page 56 of book 1.

M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by kinghippo423:
I can't beleive it !

I worked 30 minutes a day for 3 days on Blow The Man Down and I didn't felt that I was progressing. Trying unsuccessfully to play hands seperately. But tonight, I passed Blow The Man Down in 20 minutes at the speed its supposed !

My brain just clicked today and it feels GOOD !

Can't wait tomorrow to start the 7ths on page 56 of book 1.
Thats great, I love it when a piece or part of a piece finally clicks.

Mark

D
D
I am returning to piano after a 6 year absence. I did have 14 months of lessons. I am on page 92-93- The Entertainer. I think the timing is going to be hard on this!

M
Mark... Offline OP
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
M
Originally posted by dat99:
I am returning to piano after a 6 year absence. I did have 14 months of lessons. I am on page 92-93- The Entertainer. I think the timing is going to be hard on this!
Its a great piece. Play it the way your feel it, and I bet the timing takes care of itself...

Mark

Nin Offline
Hi everybody there,

I've just bought a digital piano and I will order soon the Alfred's basic all-in-one piano course. I can not wait to start practicing after reading this thread.

I would love to have the midi files of the book to practice, but I would have to order it additionally. Unfortunately, I am living in Germany, and to order additionally the 2 GM (midi) disks (In USA), I would have to wait 2/3 weeks.

Does anybody of you have these disks?, If yes, would anybody be so kind to upload/send it for me? I would appreciate it so much!!!!

I was checking the files of Loly (thank you very much), but these are mp3 or wavs, not midis. Moreover, uploading the complete 2 disk would be only 2.8 MB).

If nobody have them, I will surely order them, and upload for the forum here, I think this is a very good help for the beginner.

Thanks in advance!

PS: I have the Hannon midis, if somebody is interested please contact me!

Page 13 of 452 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission