Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
104 registered members (Bruce In Philly, cathryn999, Beemer, CharlesXX, anotherscott, AlphaBravoCharlie, Amedeus, 25 invisible), 1,706 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 268 of 268 1 2 266 267 268
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Progman] #2777074
10/31/18 02:08 PM
10/31/18 02:08 PM
Liverpool, NY
P
pathguy Offline
pathguy  Offline
P

Liverpool, NY
Originally Posted by Progman
It is clear to me now that HOW we practice is a big factor in how well we learn. But there is something else that I am concerned about - playing for other people! I feel somewhat depressed that I was unable to execute a piece I thought I had down pat for my teacher yesterday. She is quick to point out that it happens all the time - and she generously pointed out it is evident I conquered my original timing problem with the piece. But man I feel like such a spaz. I guess that gets better with time and putting yourself out there - and i guess I take solace that the sense of accomplishment will be sweeter after going through this.

It happens a lot. I always play much faster in front of my teacher (and much worse than when I practice).

I had a friend over for a few days and tried to play some things for him. Not sure if it's because I was rusty from being on vacation or nervous to play in front of him (likely both), but I didn't play as well as usual. I'm sure with time and experience it will get easier.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Progman] #2777255
11/01/18 12:06 PM
11/01/18 12:06 PM
Ventura County, CA
Downhill_Fast Offline
Downhill_Fast  Offline

Ventura County, CA
I feel somewhat depressed that I was unable to execute a piece I thought I had down pat for my teacher yesterday.

Swallowtail Jig on violin was mine. Irish-style fiddle was something I really wanted to learn, and I was so excited to be able to play a lively piece with my teacher, but when we got to that part of the lesson, I completely botched it. That was over four years ago, and it's still a point of frustration for me today. Honestly, I wish I knew how to beat that. The most interesting advice I've heard on the subject was from Josh Wright (iirc), who said to play it like you're dying, like you love the piece, and this is the very last time you'll get to play it. Ever. I haven't had the opportunity to try that mindset out, but it's an interesting perspective that I hadn't considered before, so I thought I'd share.

Alfred All-In-One Course, Level 1 [Good People]
Alfred Greatest Hits, Level 1 [Not started]
Yamaha P-45
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Downhill_Fast] #2777327
11/01/18 05:56 PM
11/01/18 05:56 PM
Southeast USA
P
Progman Offline
Progman  Offline
P

Southeast USA
Originally Posted by Downhill Fast
...The most interesting advice I've heard on the subject was from Josh Wright (iirc), who said to play it like you're dying, like you love the piece, and this is the very last time you'll get to play it. Ever. I haven't had the opportunity to try that mindset out, but it's an interesting perspective that I hadn't considered before, so I thought I'd share.

I have actually read something very similar to that in one of my piano books. Let's see if I can trick myself into that perspective...

Progman
1997 Baldwin 'Classic' Console
Kawai ES100
Alfreds bk 1 + Teacher
Long Live ELP
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...] #2777467
11/02/18 10:45 AM
11/02/18 10:45 AM
Liverpool, NY
P
pathguy Offline
pathguy  Offline
P

Liverpool, NY
Wonders never cease! I had my first lesson in almost a month last night, and warned my teacher ahead of time that I did not play a lot due to being on vacation and then having some company for a few days.

Somehow, I managed to get through Little Brown Jug, The Mexican hand clapping song, and Auld Lang Syne reasonably well. I have really been trying to go slow, look at the music, and pay more attention to the little numbers they insert for proper fingering ...and he said he could tell and that he was very proud! blush

Thankfully, I don't have too much "new" to work on (except for a couple of small Chopin pieces), but instead will be focusing on doing some more creative things with Christmas Time is Here and the Forest Gump Feather Theme...and of course getting to a few pages of the book.

I'll take a small victory!

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: GidgetKeys] #2777503
11/02/18 01:29 PM
11/02/18 01:29 PM
Union SC
monkeeys Offline
500 Post Club Member
monkeeys  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Union SC
Originally Posted by GidgetKeys
Glad to hear y'all are moving along. I've been very discouraged and feeling like I wasn't improving, so I put aside the book and worked with other resources for awhile. Tonight I opened the book back up and worked on the 1st page of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" and I feel like it went very well. In about a half hour, I was able to play through that 1st page more or less smoothly. Maybe a break was just what I needed!

Don’t get down GidgetKeys. You’ve done a page of that piece in one practice session so it sounds as if you are doing well. I’m hoping that you are going to join up in the next level. I’m moving really slow but don’t feel pressured like in book 1. Don’t worry about taking some time here and there, you’ll bounce back.

Gilligans Isle was a personal goal and a fun tune to play. I hope to see you all soon.

Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently Unit 4
Alfred Adult Piano 1-ebook version
Grateful Dead fan since 1987
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: pathguy] #2777601
11/02/18 06:36 PM
11/02/18 06:36 PM
Southeast USA
P
Progman Offline
Progman  Offline
P

Southeast USA
Originally Posted by pathguy
Wonders never cease! I had my first lesson in almost a month last night, and warned my teacher ahead of time that I did not play a lot due to being on vacation and then having some company for a few days.

Somehow, I managed to get through Little Brown Jug, The Mexican hand clapping song, and Auld Lang Syne reasonably well. I have really been trying to go slow, look at the music, and pay more attention to the little numbers they insert for proper fingering ...and he said he could tell and that he was very proud! blush

Thankfully, I don't have too much "new" to work on (except for a couple of small Chopin pieces), but instead will be focusing on doing some more creative things with Christmas Time is Here and the Forest Gump Feather Theme...and of course getting to a few pages of the book.

Nice! I like your 3 pointers also.

Progman
Kawai ES100
Alfreds bk 1 + Teacher
Long Live ELP
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Progman] #2777704
11/03/18 05:50 AM
11/03/18 05:50 AM
Liverpool, NY
P
pathguy Offline
pathguy  Offline
P

Liverpool, NY

Nice! I like your 3 pointers also.

Thanks! Because I originally started playing on my own before taking lessons, my hands tend to go where I naturally feel they should go...although that may not be the best position in terms of moving to the next group of notes or chords. Using those little numbers really does help. I find that it may feel awkward at first, but it does make moving on to the next group much easier.

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...] #2777719
11/03/18 07:46 AM
11/03/18 07:46 AM
Southeast USA
P
Progman Offline
Progman  Offline
P

Southeast USA
My teacher encourages and tests me about looking over a new score before i start practicing it. Finger movement/positions is a big part of that. Another skill to develop....i write lots of numbers on the score!

Progman
Kawai ES100
Alfreds bk 1 + Teacher
Long Live ELP
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...] #2779070
11/07/18 06:00 PM
11/07/18 06:00 PM
Maryland
GidgetKeys Offline
GidgetKeys  Offline

Maryland
Do you think it's okay to jump around the pieces at the end of the book? Like... I've got a pretty good grasp of Somewhere over the Rainbow, but being the time of year that it is, can I skip to Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas and then go back to the other pieces after the holidays?

Alfred's Adult All-in-One, Book 1 🎹
Alfred's Greatest Hits Level 1 🎶
PianoVideoLessons.com
🎼 Piano Marvel 3D
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...] #2779107
11/07/18 08:08 PM
11/07/18 08:08 PM
Southeast USA
P
Progman Offline
Progman  Offline
P

Southeast USA
My teacher jumped me 10 pages ahead for Joy to the World. IIRC the songs at the end do not introduce new concepts but re-inforce what you learned already. I actually tried out Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas and decided I need easier stuff for now. Try it out, you can tell how hard it is.

Progman
Kawai ES100
Alfreds bk 1 + Teacher
Long Live ELP
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...] #2779141
11/07/18 11:13 PM
11/07/18 11:13 PM
Arizona USA
F
Finfan Offline
Finfan  Offline
F

Arizona USA
It pretty much has the same challenges as Over the Rainbow but a bit more complex.

Kawai ES8
Yamaha P105
Yamaha YPT220

A lack of talent does not stop you from learning piano. It just takes longer and you have to work harder.

[Linked Image]
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: GidgetKeys] #2779182
11/08/18 04:15 AM
11/08/18 04:15 AM
Hershey, PA, USA
H
Handyman Offline
Handyman  Offline
H

Hershey, PA, USA
Originally Posted by GidgetKeys
Do you think it's okay to jump around the pieces at the end of the book? Like... I've got a pretty good grasp of Somewhere over the Rainbow, but being the time of year that it is, can I skip to Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas and then go back to the other pieces after the holidays?

Sure - as the British say: "Give it a bloody go!"

"Difficulties deferred and challenges unmet will eventually return with a vengeance to bite one in the butt." (paraphrasing Chopin)
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...] #2780719
11/13/18 05:58 PM
11/13/18 05:58 PM
M
Memran Online content
Memran  Online Content
M

Hello everyone! I'm new here, and just got my piano and Alfred's book 1 on Friday. So much fun! laugh

I always thought I was too old to start learning the piano (40) but actually, I seem to be making steady progress. This could be because I can already read music, due to playing trumpet for 30+ years (although my bass clef reading is still pretty poor).

Anyway, I was burning through the book until I hit the brick wall that is "Blow the Man Down!", and after a few hours of frustration yesterday I quit for the day. Today I decided to go back a few pages to "When the saints go marching in" to review. It turns out that I couldn't play that either, at first, despite having played it a couple of days before! After a number of attempts things came together again, and I could move forward, but taking a lot more care to get things right this time!

I think I was really getting ahead of my ability, and learned that it is definitely not sufficient for me to keep moving ahead as soon as I feel like I played each exercise adequately. I need to go back a few pages each time I begin a new day's practice.

Overall, still happy with the progress, after all, it's been 5 days.

Meeting with my first teacher on Friday this week. Kind of nervous now!

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...] #2780744
11/13/18 08:10 PM
11/13/18 08:10 PM
Southeast USA
P
Progman Offline
Progman  Offline
P

Southeast USA
Welcome Memran! Surely you jest about being too old at 40!! This is a retirement gig for many of us (and a great one at that!). I started with a Teacher (I have zero previous experience at 59) and she has been great. I have to play every piece to her satisfaction before advancing (I generally work on 4-6 at a time) - which is not easy but I am sure it is worth it! Good Luck!

Progman
Kawai ES100
Alfreds bk 1 + Teacher
Long Live ELP
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...] #2780747
11/13/18 08:17 PM
11/13/18 08:17 PM
Southeast USA
P
Progman Offline
Progman  Offline
P

Southeast USA
On to the Blues! Thank God I scored 100% passes at lesson this week, that does not happen often. Teach had me sight read the first couple tunes with her and I did good on the first run. Usually I struggle with new rhythms but this one feels more natural.

Progman
Kawai ES100
Alfreds bk 1 + Teacher
Long Live ELP
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Progman] #2780827
Yesterday at 06:07 AM
Yesterday at 06:07 AM
M
Memran Online content
Memran  Online Content
M

Surely you jest about being too old at 40!!

Well, it's just that I've heard so often that if you don't start as a kid, you're too late. I suppose this only really applies if you're trying to become a professional concert pianist? Maybe there's no truth in it at all, I don't know.

Nevertheless, I'm having so much fun that I really don't care!

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Memran] #2780857
Yesterday at 10:00 AM
Yesterday at 10:00 AM
Liverpool, NY
P
pathguy Offline
pathguy  Offline
P

Liverpool, NY
Originally Posted by Memran
Hello everyone! I'm new here, and just got my piano and Alfred's book 1 on Friday. So much fun! laugh

I always thought I was too old to start learning the piano (40) but actually, I seem to be making steady progress. This could be because I can already read music, due to playing trumpet for 30+ years (although my bass clef reading is still pretty poor).

Anyway, I was burning through the book until I hit the brick wall that is "Blow the Man Down!", and after a few hours of frustration yesterday I quit for the day. Today I decided to go back a few pages to "When the saints go marching in" to review. It turns out that I couldn't play that either, at first, despite having played it a couple of days before! After a number of attempts things came together again, and I could move forward, but taking a lot more care to get things right this time!

I think I was really getting ahead of my ability, and learned that it is definitely not sufficient for me to keep moving ahead as soon as I feel like I played each exercise adequately. I need to go back a few pages each time I begin a new day's practice.

Overall, still happy with the progress, after all, it's been 5 days.

Meeting with my first teacher on Friday this week. Kind of nervous now!

Welcome!! I started playing last January (at 44), so you're surely not too old wink

Do a search on "Blow the Man Down" and you will see that this particular piece gives nearly everyone a problem--you're in good company!

I'm hoping to get through "O Sole Mio", the next piece (the title escapes me at the moment), and "The Stranger" tonight at my lesson.

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Memran] #2780861
Yesterday at 10:07 AM
Yesterday at 10:07 AM
Tyrone Slothrop Online content
500 Post Club Member
Tyrone Slothrop  Online Content
500 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Memran
Surely you jest about being too old at 40!!

Well, it's just that I've heard so often that if you don't start as a kid, you're too late.

Well, if you had a piano & ageism fear, you've come to the right place. Take a look at the 2nd graph of the latest survey. About three-quarters of the participants on this ABF forum are actually older than you! wink

across the stone, deathless piano performances
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Tyrone Slothrop] #2780931
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
M
Memran Online content
Memran  Online Content
M

Welcome!! I started playing last January (at 44), so you're surely not too old wink

Do a search on "Blow the Man Down" and you will see that this particular piece gives nearly everyone a problem--you're in good company!

Thanks!
I've reached Blow the Man Down again today, and its definitely better, but still very rocky despite being extremely slow. However, the fact that I can feel the improvement, gives me hope!

I flipped ahead to look at O Sole Mio and The Stranger. They look pretty scary shocked Good luck! laugh

Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

Well, if you had a piano & ageism fear, you've come to the right place. Take a look at the 2nd graph of the latest survey. About three-quarters of the participants on this ABF forum are actually older than you! wink

Thanks encouraging! There's hope for me yet! laugh

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...] #2780959
Yesterday at 02:10 PM
Yesterday at 02:10 PM
Union SC
monkeeys Offline
500 Post Club Member
monkeeys  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Union SC
Welcome to the ABF Memran. You have a lot of it figured out already, having fun.

Last edited by monkeeys; Yesterday at 02:11 PM.

Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently Unit 4
Alfred Adult Piano 1-ebook version
Grateful Dead fan since 1987
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Progman] #2781269
7 hours ago
7 hours ago
Ventura County, CA
Downhill_Fast Offline
Downhill_Fast  Offline

Ventura County, CA
On to the Blues! Thank God I scored 100% passes at lesson this week, that does not happen often. Teach had me sight read the first couple tunes with her and I did good on the first run. Usually I struggle with new rhythms but this one feels more natural.

Congrats on that 100%! I had no idea you were working on 4-6 pieces at once. That's intense! Maybe I should start doing that. I feel like I hit a point in practicing a piece where any further progress is going to be a much bigger struggle. If I had another piece to switch to at that point I could at least extend my practice sessions so I'm getting more piano time in each day...

Also, I'm curious to hear how you like the blues section. It's been a challenge for me, both to play, and to enjoy since I'm not much of a blues person. "Why am I Blue?" was the tipping point, I think, and now that I have that down I find it's a lot of fun to play. I'm hoping that "Good People" will end up being the same, but I'll be quite happy once I can move on a bit more and play songs that I'm actually familiar with (Chiapanecas, Auld Lang Syne, and eventually Greensleeves).

Also, welcome, Memran! "Blow the Man Down" is a great piece. You will love it eventually, I'm sure smile

Alfred All-In-One Course, Level 1 [Good People]
Alfred Greatest Hits, Level 1 [Not started]
Yamaha P-45
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Downhill_Fast] #2781296
6 hours ago
6 hours ago
Maryland
GidgetKeys Offline
GidgetKeys  Offline

Maryland
Originally Posted by Downhill_Fast
... I had no idea you were working on 4-6 pieces at once. That's intense! Maybe I should start doing that. I feel like I hit a point in practicing a piece where any further progress is going to be a much bigger struggle. If I had another piece to switch to at that point I could at least extend my practice sessions so I'm getting more piano time in each day...

I read somewhere that you should always have several pieces that you are working on.... something like, a new piece that you are just beginning, a second piece (or several IMO) that you are working through, and then a piece (or 2) that you are polishing or maintaining.

I like to constantly change it up and work on different pieces. Sometimes it's good to take a break and then go back to a piece with fresher eyes. So, like right now, I'm working on 3 pieces at the end of Book 1, but it being this time of year, I'm delving into a few Christmas pieces from some of my other books. I can definitely see a difference in how quickly I can work through some of the Christmas pieces compared to last year, (the difference being 17 months into this journey compared to 7). I also use Piano Marvel to help with my reading accuracy and speed. It helps keep it interesting.

Alfred's Adult All-in-One, Book 1 🎹
Alfred's Greatest Hits Level 1 🎶
PianoVideoLessons.com
🎼 Piano Marvel 3D
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: GidgetKeys] #2781421
6 minutes ago
6 minutes ago
M
Memran Online content
Memran  Online Content
M

Woohoo! Its not prefect, but I can now get through Blow the Man Down, about 80% of the time! Progress laugh

It will need a few more sessions before my teacher hears it, but I have time.

It really feels like a milestone to get this. smile

Page 268 of 268 1 2 266 267 268

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano Mug Rugs!
by Sam S. 11/15/18 05:59 PM
Connecting Yamaha Silent to iPad
by edwardmatt83. 11/15/18 05:42 PM
Piano Buyer guide to pricing and features
by MacMacMac. 11/15/18 05:16 PM
New old guy here; just starting piano journey at 58!
by PianoWVBob. 11/15/18 03:38 PM
One vs. Two-Hnaded Sight Reading
by BbAltered. 11/15/18 01:08 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,345
Posts2,761,440
Members91,493
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission