Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
91 registered members (anotherscott, ALEXANDER DYKER, Alex C, Adypiano, Beowulf, Bambers, akc42, Bett, 18 invisible), 1,328 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 267 of 267 1 2 265 266 267
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...] #2769739
10/05/18 04:25 AM
10/05/18 04:25 AM
Liverpool, NY
P
pathguy Offline
pathguy  Offline
P

Liverpool, NY
Originally Posted by Progman
Originally Posted by pathguy

Thanks for the advice Progman! Yeah, I am ok with the rhythms largely....but when forced to not look at my hands I tend to find the wrong notes.

I think some of the problem is that I am practicing each piece too much. I have this need to play these songs "correctly" (or what I feel is correct), and I hate making mistakes. My teacher (bless him) keeps telling me that he is not looking for perfection. So that's something I need to keep in mind. Also, keeping my speed under control (and I always play faster during my lessons, I'm sure because of nerves) will take some effort on my part.

I took a typing class when I was in junior high and we had to memorize the keyboard and type without looking at it. Years later when computers were part of work, I re-learned the keyboard and I was a pretty good typist - so I was already comfortable not looking at keys. When I started piano I chose to not look at the keyboard based on that comfort level with typing. Of course you do have to look at the keyboard occasionally as you use more of the keyboard and have to re-index your hand position - many of the exercises make you shift an octave for the 2nd verse, but that's the only exception.

One other thing to think about, when I make a key mistake when playing for my teacher - she wants me to keep going versus my habit to stop. She tells me it is inevitable that a mistake will happen and therefore you need to develop the habit to not stop because that magnifies the error.

I also took typing (in high school), and we also memorized the keyboard. One of the best classes I took, actually!

It's funny, because I also have the tendency to stop when I make a mistake; my teacher also tells me not to blush

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Progman] #2769790
10/05/18 10:19 AM
10/05/18 10:19 AM
Ventura County, CA
Downhill Fast Offline
Downhill Fast  Offline

Ventura County, CA

I think for beginners it's getting the right starting hand position, 1st measure (and others) finger ID, and working on intervals from there. I think that is why there is so much interval stuff throughout the book. I am picking up the identification of notes on the score (and where that key is) as I go along....but I know my teacher (25 years experience) uses intervals to some extent when she plays.

Well, that's a relief! It also makes sense considering how this book is laid out. Thanks!

And now I'm on to reading flats... which I guess is a little bit more emphasis on the note, but also includes the instruction to simply "play the black key to the left" instead. I think I'll continue working with the flash cards on my phone and eventually graduate up to chord flash cards... because why not, right?

Alfred All-In-One Course, Level 1 [Blues Section]
Alfred Greatest Hits, Level 1 [Not started]
Yamaha P-45
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Downhill Fast] #2769794
10/05/18 10:40 AM
10/05/18 10:40 AM
Florida
dogperson Offline
Silver Subscriber
dogperson  Offline
Silver Subscriber

Florida
Originally Posted by Downhill Fast

I think for beginners it's getting the right starting hand position, 1st measure (and others) finger ID, and working on intervals from there. I think that is why there is so much interval stuff throughout the book. I am picking up the identification of notes on the score (and where that key is) as I go along....but I know my teacher (25 years experience) uses intervals to some extent when she plays.

Well, that's a relief! It also makes sense considering how this book is laid out. Thanks!

And now I'm on to reading flats... which I guess is a little bit more emphasis on the note, but also includes the instruction to simply "play the black key to the left" instead. I think I'll continue working with the flash cards on my phone and eventually graduate up to chord flash cards... because why not, right?

I hope I’m not complicating things that will be taught later in the book..., but ‘play the black note to the left’ is not always correct’ as a C flat is played as a B natural, and f flat is played as an e natural. You will note that both C and F do not have a flat immediately to the left, but rather another white key. A more accurate description of a flat is a half step down from the original note. If half and whole intervals are not discussed until later, my apologies if I have complicated these instructions, as they are accurate except for the cases where is not a black key immediately to the left

Last edited by dogperson; 10/05/18 10:44 AM.
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Downhill Fast] #2769795
10/05/18 10:48 AM
10/05/18 10:48 AM
Maryland
GidgetKeys Offline
GidgetKeys  Offline

Maryland
And now I'm on to reading flats... which I guess is a little bit more emphasis on the note, but also includes the instruction to simply "play the black key to the left" instead.

While it's true that you play the black key to the left, I don't think it's correct to say that it's more emphasis on the note, at least not in the way that I interpret the word emphasis. It's actually a semitone lower from the original note, while a sharp is the next semitone higher.

Alfred's Adult All-in-One, Book 1 🎹
Alfred's Greatest Hits Level 1 🎶
PianoVideoLessons.com
🎼 Piano Marvel 3D
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: GidgetKeys] #2770515
10/08/18 10:44 AM
10/08/18 10:44 AM
Ventura County, CA
Downhill Fast Offline
Downhill Fast  Offline

Ventura County, CA
Originally Posted by dogperson

I hope I’m not complicating things that will be taught later in the book..., but ‘play the black note to the left’ is not always correct’ as a C flat is played as a B natural, and f flat is played as an e natural. You will note that both C and F do not have a flat immediately to the left, but rather another white key. A more accurate description of a flat is a half step down from the original note. If half and whole intervals are not discussed until later, my apologies if I have complicated these instructions, as they are accurate except for the cases where is not a black key immediately to the left

Ah, sorry, I was generalizing. I meant that the instructions are a simplification along the lines of "play the note to the left." The book is much clearer on that subject than I was in my post. (To be fair to Alfred, the verbatim instruction is "The FLAT SIGN before a note means play the next key to the LEFT, whether black or white!" (pg. 96)

Originally Posted by GidgetKeys
And now I'm on to reading flats... which I guess is a little bit more emphasis on the note, but also includes the instruction to simply "play the black key to the left" instead.

While it's true that you play the black key to the left, I don't think it's correct to say that it's more emphasis on the note, at least not in the way that I interpret the word emphasis. It's actually a semitone lower from the original note, while a sharp is the next semitone higher.

I'm not sure I understand. Are you talking about "emphasis" in terms of dynamics? I was talking about emphasis as in, "the emphasis was on learning the note instead of just playing by finger position." Sorry if that was confusing... I'm also learning that I'm not the clearest forum poster smile

Anyway, on to finishing up Joy to the World and starting Cockles and Muscles this week. It's amazing how progress slows down when you actually have to play the music instead of just reading the book and penciling in answers! laugh On the upside, I'm having a ton of fun playing a very dramatic rendition of Joy to the World in the organ voicing on my digital piano. Cracking myself up is absolutely worth the slowdown in progress!

Hope everyone absolutely nails their pieces in practice this week!

Yamaha P-45
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...] #2770878
10/09/18 05:56 PM
10/09/18 05:56 PM
Southeast USA
P
Progman Online content
Progman  Online Content
P

Southeast USA
Well I nailed most of them during lesson today - yea!! Super nice teacher but she holds me to a high standard which I appreciate - I have improved my dynamics quite a bit over the past couple of months. I am also getting better at the melody standing out above the chords. She is always tweaking my daily warm-up instructions which is interesting. We picked out my first christmas song - I wanted to have one to play for family at T'giving get together. We picked 'We wish you a merry a christmas' and worked out the fingering on the first 3 lines. That led to our first discussion about keys and scales. She explained the circle of keys and order of sharps...I have not got that far in AIO yet (around pg 90). She made me memorize my first song - Happy Birthday - and I nailed it from memory today. This was my first lesson with a 2 week interval, I am normally weekly for 60 minutes. Having the 2 week break insured I would be more successful than normal!

Progman
1997 Baldwin 'Classic' Console
Kawai ES100
Alfreds bk 1 + Teacher
Long Live ELP
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Progman] #2771396
10/11/18 10:49 AM
10/11/18 10:49 AM
Ventura County, CA
Downhill Fast Offline
Downhill Fast  Offline

Ventura County, CA
Well I nailed most of them during lesson today - yea!! Super nice teacher but she holds me to a high standard which I appreciate - I have improved my dynamics quite a bit over the past couple of months. I am also getting better at the melody standing out above the chords. She is always tweaking my daily warm-up instructions which is interesting. We picked out my first christmas song - I wanted to have one to play for family at T'giving get together. We picked 'We wish you a merry a christmas' and worked out the fingering on the first 3 lines. That led to our first discussion about keys and scales. She explained the circle of keys and order of sharps...I have not got that far in AIO yet (around pg 90). She made me memorize my first song - Happy Birthday - and I nailed it from memory today. This was my first lesson with a 2 week interval, I am normally weekly for 60 minutes. Having the 2 week break insured I would be more successful than normal!

Niiiice. Are you planning to switch to 2 week breaks on a regular basis?

Yamaha P-45
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Progman] #2771414
10/11/18 11:43 AM
10/11/18 11:43 AM
Liverpool, NY
P
pathguy Offline
pathguy  Offline
P

Liverpool, NY

Way to go!!! Sounds like you are doing really well and it seems your teacher is a good fit.

I do 60 minute lessons every other week, and I really like it.

It's great that you're learning a song to play for your family, too. No doubt they will enjoy it, and it will make you want to learn more, I'm sure. thumb

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Downhill Fast] #2771428
10/11/18 12:08 PM
10/11/18 12:08 PM
Southeast USA
P
Progman Online content
Progman  Online Content
P

Southeast USA

Niiiice. Are you planning to switch to 2 week breaks on a regular basis?

This happened while she was setting up the fall schedule - she wanted to do all her adult students on the same day. She is also chairperson on some music committee and they meet once per month. I guess she has observed the Adult students are more disciplined than the youngsters. So the adults skip one week a month so she can do her committee thing. I think I like this new format, so it's 3x per month.

Progman
Kawai ES100
Alfreds bk 1 + Teacher
Long Live ELP
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: pathguy] #2771435
10/11/18 12:21 PM
10/11/18 12:21 PM
Southeast USA
P
Progman Online content
Progman  Online Content
P

Southeast USA
Originally Posted by pathguy

I do 60 minute lessons every other week, and I really like it.

It's great that you're learning a song to play for your family, too. No doubt they will enjoy it, and it will make you want to learn more, I'm sure. thumb

It is amazing to me how fast that hour goes - if I want to do something during the session I tell her first thing so we can fit it in. I am finding that having those extra songs outside of Alfred's is pushing me to learn more stuff sooner. I am doing the Alfred's Greatest hits book - those are closely related to what's going on in the AIO book, but still a worthwhile endeavor for me. But the 2 other songs are a whole different banana....well, they use more keyboard so lot's of shifting your hands (for a beginner anyway) and some of the fingerings are really something. She picked those 2 out so they are not crazy for my skill level - and she goes through and works out the fingering with me a page at a time.

It will be interesting to see how it goes playing in front of people - have not done that yet.

Progman
Kawai ES100
Alfreds bk 1 + Teacher
Long Live ELP
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...] #2773319
Yesterday at 11:45 AM
Yesterday at 11:45 AM
Southeast USA
P
Progman Online content
Progman  Online Content
P

Southeast USA
I feel like I am on the verge of a break-through with eighth note rhythm. The struggle comes down to counting correctly.....and patience. I guess I had the same problem with quarter notes and worked through that in a couple weeks. It's taking a bit longer with eighth notes - I think where I stumbled is when playing the Titanic song, the eighth notes don't appear until the last few lines, so I wasn't counting eighths until i got there and then I would goof it (meaning is was not perfect). But now I am getting comfortable enough that I can just count the eighth notes when i get to it - takes some practice but I can tell it's coming around. I could not handle 'blow the man down' with the broken chords in bass and the eighth notes in treble - so teach said just do block chords instead of broken until I feel comfortable. She's right as usual. I am actually doing more outside songs this week than method book stuff - making good progress.

Progman
Kawai ES100
Alfreds bk 1 + Teacher
Long Live ELP
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Progman] #2773345
Yesterday at 01:24 PM
Yesterday at 01:24 PM
Ventura County, CA
Downhill Fast Offline
Downhill Fast  Offline

Ventura County, CA
I could not handle 'blow the man down' with the broken chords in bass and the eighth notes in treble

I know that feeling! I wasn't sure I would ever be able to make my hands independently smart enough to actually play it. I'm not sure how I got there, but eventually I did... and the triumph, oh man, what a day! Just wait, you'll see!

Yamaha P-45
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Downhill Fast] #2773407
Yesterday at 05:44 PM
Yesterday at 05:44 PM
Southeast USA
P
Progman Online content
Progman  Online Content
P

Southeast USA
... and the triumph, oh man, what a day! Just wait, you'll see!

That day will be next Tuesday when I preform it for Teach!! Just a tad over 2 weeks to get it, not so bad - that's what is great about this is if you put in the effort you will get there.

Progman
Kawai ES100
Alfreds bk 1 + Teacher
Long Live ELP
Page 267 of 267 1 2 265 266 267

Moderated by  BB Player 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Digital dynamics
by Michael P Walsh. 10/18/18 05:53 AM
Kawai GX2 vs. Shigeru SK2
by almo82. 10/18/18 04:27 AM
3 Pedals at once
by almo82. 10/18/18 04:03 AM
8Dio pianos
by Grazilerimba. 10/18/18 03:11 AM
my new Kawai CE7N
by Kevin_kawai. 10/18/18 02:27 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics187,872
Posts2,753,619
Members91,276
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission