Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
137 registered members (AnnInMiami, agent8698, ajames, anotherscott, 90125, Bobby Badd, Amedeus, Bill Reed, 29 invisible), 1,792 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 266 of 269 1 2 264 265 266 267 268 269
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: pathguy] #2766498
09/19/18 03:53 PM
09/19/18 03:53 PM
Southeast USA
P
Progman Offline
Progman  Offline
P

Southeast USA
Originally Posted by pathguy

I sometimes play so well when I practice..then seem to completely derail when I play at my lesson. I get frustrated making mistakes...which turns into a vicious cycle of me cursing and starting over laugh Of course I came home and seemed to play just fine eek

Thankfully, my teacher is very easy-going.

A common affliction it seems. Just had my 11th lesson and I am getting better in this respect.

Progman
1997 Baldwin 'Classic' Console
Kawai ES100
Alfreds bk 1 + Teacher
Long Live ELP
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...] #2766562
09/19/18 09:55 PM
09/19/18 09:55 PM
Union SC
monkeeys Offline
500 Post Club Member
monkeeys  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Union SC
I’m happy for your progress progman.

Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently Unit 4
Alfred Adult Piano 1-ebook version
Grateful Dead fan since 1987
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...] #2767640
09/25/18 07:42 PM
09/25/18 07:42 PM
Orange County, California
C
Coatimundi Offline
Coatimundi  Offline
C

I’m up to playing When The Saints Go Marching in (melody on both the right and left hands). I made the mistake of trying to learn the F chord on the right hand as soon as was introduced for the left hand by just mirroring the fingering, and reaching with finger 5, only to later find out that for the right hand the fingering is actually different (leaving finger 1 in place and sliding everything else over). Didn’t take too long to relearn the chord their recommended way, but I’ll be careful to try to avoid making assumptions again.

In Fundamental Keys, I finished book 1, and have moved onto the original book. I was able to review the beginning material pretty quickly, and am working on the first couple of classical pieces now, which is exciting. I find it’s been quite nice to work through both in parallel, as they seem to have different strengths, and introduce things at a different pace. They both do a good job with having melodies played with either hand. AIO introduces hands together playing much sooner, and some chords, while FK has yet to introduce chords at all. However, I think FK’s pieces have been a bit more challenging melodically and rhythmically. The biggest difference is that AIO has been in C position the whole time so far, while FK has had hands start in different positions constantly (but still remaining in position for the whole piece), which I think may be helping with my ability to better read notes. I also set up some flash cards (in anki) for note reading, and identitying keys on the piano, which I think are helping.

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...] #2767720
09/26/18 07:32 AM
09/26/18 07:32 AM
Liverpool, NY
P
pathguy Offline
pathguy  Offline
P

Liverpool, NY
great progress, Coatimundi!!

I'm about set to tackle "Little Brown Jug". I have the feeling it may be problematic, as this is the first F major song, so I have to remember that the b is flat.

I had the darndest time with the first few bars of the G blues scale. I had to play VERRRRRRY slowly with my metronome in order to get it.

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...] #2768005
09/27/18 04:59 PM
09/27/18 04:59 PM
England
LarryShone Offline
1000 Post Club Member
LarryShone  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

England
I'm curious about this Alfred's course. Are there any examples of early pieces? The videos I've seen seem quite advanced!

If the piano is the King of instruments then I am its loyal servant.
[Linked Image]

My Piano Group
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Coatimundi] #2768010
09/27/18 06:06 PM
09/27/18 06:06 PM
Southeast USA
P
Progman Offline
Progman  Offline
P

Southeast USA
Originally Posted by Coatimundi
I’m up to playing When The Saints Go Marching....In Fundamental Keys, I finished book 1, ...

Good stuff Coat - my teacher highlighted the right hand F chord thing - you will get used to it in no time. I have dappled with Fundamental Keys and agree with your comments. I'm a bit ahead of you working on getting consistent with eighth notes. Are you counting out loud, using a metronome?

Progman
Kawai ES100
Alfreds bk 1 + Teacher
Long Live ELP
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: LarryShone] #2768013
09/27/18 06:29 PM
09/27/18 06:29 PM
Maryland
GidgetKeys Offline
GidgetKeys  Offline

Maryland
Originally Posted by LarryShone
I'm curious about this Alfred's course. Are there any examples of early pieces? The videos I've seen seem quite advanced!

Look on YouTube for Let's Play Piano Methods and find the playlist for this specific book. He goes through every piece in depth and there is a Play with Me segment at the end of each video.

That should help you. He has many other method books as well.

Alfred's Adult All-in-One, Book 1 🎹
Alfred's Greatest Hits Level 1 🎶
PianoVideoLessons.com
🎼 Piano Marvel 3D
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: GidgetKeys] #2768067
09/28/18 02:20 AM
09/28/18 02:20 AM
England
LarryShone Offline
1000 Post Club Member
LarryShone  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

England
Originally Posted by GidgetKeys
Originally Posted by LarryShone

Look on YouTube for Let's Play Piano Methods and find the playlist for this specific book. He goes through every piece in depth and there is a Play with Me segment at the end of each video.

That should help you. He has many other method books as well.

Thanks, I will have a look.

[Linked Image]

My Piano Group
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...] #2768070
09/28/18 02:27 AM
09/28/18 02:27 AM
England
LarryShone Offline
1000 Post Club Member
LarryShone  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

England
I see book one is very basic, the videos start from page 12 and is very basic, an introduction to the keyboard (earlier videos are unavailable but I wouldn't need them anyway) , I can skip those.

[Linked Image]

My Piano Group
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...] #2768106
09/28/18 06:20 AM
09/28/18 06:20 AM
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

tinymozarts on YouTube also has a set of videos for this method book, and many others.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeW-cELRAmSl9fQyFwa9BIpeSHzlxuSYM

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
YouTube | SoundCloud
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: bSharp(C)yclist] #2768111
09/28/18 07:15 AM
09/28/18 07:15 AM
Liverpool, NY
P
pathguy Offline
pathguy  Offline
P

Liverpool, NY
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist
tinymozarts on YouTube also has a set of videos for this method book, and many others.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLeW-cELRAmSl9fQyFwa9BIpeSHzlxuSYM

Awesome--thanks for this link!

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...] #2768129
09/28/18 08:43 AM
09/28/18 08:43 AM
England
LarryShone Offline
1000 Post Club Member
LarryShone  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

England
Very good for total beginners, but I'm a bit past that stage. Although the player would be reading music I suppose (I grew up playing by ear and am learning to read music quite late)

[Linked Image]

My Piano Group
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Progman] #2768167
09/28/18 11:21 AM
09/28/18 11:21 AM
C
Coatimundi Offline
Coatimundi  Offline
C

Originally Posted by Progman
Are you counting out loud, using a metronome?

I’m looking forward to eighth notes, but I’ll be patient. I keep thinking I’m doing ok on rythym, and then find I get tripped up for a little while on some new piece. I’ll often start by counting under my breath, and will use the metronome (slowly at first). When reviewing pieces I’ve gotten down fairly well, I still use the metronome for about half of my run-throughs. I’ve been meaning to self-record myself as well, but haven’t really started doing that yet.

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...] #2768197
09/28/18 02:05 PM
09/28/18 02:05 PM
Southeast USA
P
Progman Offline
Progman  Offline
P

Southeast USA
Try the recording - it does 2 things - 1) you will feel like you are performing and that will be more difficult at first, 2) it is easier to notice uneven rhythm when you are not playing, just listening. I find the who process of learning got 'more amusing' with eighth notes as it is taking me more than 2 weeks to get reasonably skilled. I am mostly counting out loud, but I have used metronome some - of course, there is no 'click' for the eighth note unless you double the BPM and then it becomes very confusing.

Progman
Kawai ES100
Alfreds bk 1 + Teacher
Long Live ELP
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...] #2769075
10/02/18 12:17 PM
10/02/18 12:17 PM
Ventura County, CA
Downhill_Fast Online content
Downhill_Fast  Online Content

Ventura County, CA
Hello! I'm here to join your cohort of Alfred's Book 1 students. I'm currently banging my head against the wall that is (for me) Brahms' Lullaby. After about a week of working on it every day, I was optimistic I would have it during yesterday's practice session... right up until I realized I had completely overlooked a pair of chord changes, which somehow threw the rest of the piece off for me for the rest of my practice session. Maybe today will be the day! But either way, it's nice to be among people working on the same pieces, and I look forward to following this thread!

Alfred's Adult All-In-One Course, Level 1 [Chiapanecas]
Alfred's Greatest Hits, Level 1 [Edelweiss]
Yamaha P-45
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...] #2769084
10/02/18 12:54 PM
10/02/18 12:54 PM
Union SC
monkeeys Offline
500 Post Club Member
monkeeys  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Union SC
Welcome to the group Downhill_fast. It’s a cool journey.

Alesis Coda Pro
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...] #2769088
10/02/18 01:06 PM
10/02/18 01:06 PM
Ventura County, CA

Ventura County, CA
Thanks, monkeeys smile I have to say, coming from a few years of violin, it's quite nice to be able to just press some keys very early on in the journey and be able to enjoy the sounds that are produced. I'm hoping this bodes well for me in terms of sticking with this until I'm old and grey!

Yamaha P-45
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...] #2769095
10/02/18 01:34 PM
10/02/18 01:34 PM
Maryland
GidgetKeys Offline
GidgetKeys  Offline

Maryland
Welcome Downhill fast.

Monkeeys - what are you still doing here? I thought you'd moved on to Book 2 by now?

PianoVideoLessons.com
🎼 Piano Marvel 3D
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...] #2769113
10/02/18 03:42 PM
10/02/18 03:42 PM
Southeast USA
P
Progman Offline
Progman  Offline
P

Southeast USA
Welcome Downhill, I am just behind you in the book - working on eighth notes and sixths......oh, and I am old a grey smile It is quite a journey - I like having a teacher I have to perform for every week....helps with motivation a lot!

Progman
Kawai ES100
Alfreds bk 1 + Teacher
Long Live ELP
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...] #2769135
10/02/18 05:51 PM
10/02/18 05:51 PM
Liverpool, NY
P
pathguy Offline
pathguy  Offline
P

Liverpool, NY
Glad to have you here, Downhill!

I'm currently having "fun" with the mexican clapping song! Tomorrow's lesson ought to be spectacular!! LOL

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: GidgetKeys] #2769165
10/02/18 08:43 PM
10/02/18 08:43 PM
Union SC
monkeeys Offline
500 Post Club Member
monkeeys  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Union SC
Welcome Downhill fast.

Monkeeys - what are you still doing here? I thought you'd moved on to Book 2 by now?

You getting rid of me😄
Tho “Have Yourself AMerry Little Christmas” was last in my ebook I’m doing “The Ballad Of Gilligans Isle” as the last one. I like it. I’ve done “Down In The Valley” from book 2 and the review chapter 1 in Faber so I’m just floating around. I guess you are close to finishing although I remember you were busy.

Alesis Coda Pro
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: monkeeys] #2769177
10/02/18 11:06 PM
10/02/18 11:06 PM
Maryland
GidgetKeys Offline
GidgetKeys  Offline

Maryland
Originally Posted by monkeeys

You getting rid of me😄

No! Not at all! Just surprised. You seem to move quickly and I figured by now you'd have moved fully on to the book 2 thread.

I'm still working on basically the same few pieces as well as supplementing with some other books and resources. I feel like I need to strengthen my note recognition, sight reading, and understanding of scales and keys before moving on too quickly.

I can recognize that the goal is not simply to learn to play the piece in the exercise but to apply the theory to the elements therein. I sorta feel like it's similar to using phonics to learn to read vs. simple memorization. It might take longer but I think the foundation will ultimately be more solid.

...and it's fun to dabble with some seasonal Halloween tunes for a change.

Practice time was shortened today. Car trouble. Had to deliver it to my mechanic this evening.... always something. 🙄

PianoVideoLessons.com
🎼 Piano Marvel 3D
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: pathguy] #2769295
10/03/18 11:18 AM
10/03/18 11:18 AM
Ventura County, CA

Ventura County, CA
Welcome Downhill fast.

Thank you! smile

Welcome Downhill, I am just behind you in the book - working on eighth notes and sixths......oh, and I am old a grey smile It is quite a journey - I like having a teacher I have to perform for every week....helps with motivation a lot!

Thanks! Glad to know I won't get left behind too quickly here smile Are the eights and sixths around the Lone Star Waltz piece? Getting the jumps down on that one was a really cool feeling! Come to think of it, I'm not sure I ever got so comfortable with it that I could do that part without looking. I might have to re-visit that today.

I hear ya on the teacher. I'm torn on whether to take lessons. I grew up down the street from a family who ended up opening a music school in town. I used to hang out with the sons, and now they teach there. I'm not sure who's on deck to teach piano, but I'm not sure I could handle the embarrassment of going in there to take lessons from someone I grew up with. On the other hand, how could I give my money to anyone else? I figure once I get frustrated with teaching myself I'll be forced to make a decision, but until then I'll continue working on talking myself into it!

Glad to have you here, Downhill!

I'm currently having "fun" with the mexican clapping song! Tomorrow's lesson ought to be spectacular!! LOL

Glad to be here! That looks like a pretty neat piece (I think I found the right one on youtube). Everyone loves a spectacle -- you should film the lesson! laugh But really, best of luck with it!

Yamaha P-45
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Downhill_Fast] #2769332
10/03/18 12:12 PM
10/03/18 12:12 PM
Southeast USA
P
Progman Offline
Progman  Offline
P

Southeast USA
Originally Posted by Downhill Fast

Thanks! Glad to know I won't get left behind too quickly here smile Are the eights and sixths around the Lone Star Waltz piece? Getting the jumps down on that one was a really cool feeling! Come to think of it, I'm not sure I ever got so comfortable with it that I could do that part without looking. I might have to re-visit that today.

I hear ya on the teacher. I'm torn on whether to take lessons. I grew up down the street from a family who ended up opening a music school in town. I used to hang out with the sons, and now they teach there. I'm not sure who's on deck to teach piano, but I'm not sure I could handle the embarrassment of going in there to take lessons from someone I grew up with. On the other hand, how could I give my money to anyone else? I figure once I get frustrated with teaching myself I'll be forced to make a decision, but until then I'll continue working on talking myself into it!

Exactly - Long Star Waltz is the last exercise in that section - I won't get to that piece until next week.

Progman
Kawai ES100
Alfreds bk 1 + Teacher
Long Live ELP
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...] #2769471
10/04/18 03:37 AM
10/04/18 03:37 AM
Liverpool, NY
P
pathguy Offline
pathguy  Offline
P

Liverpool, NY
So I had my lesson last night, and it did not go that great. The songs I've been learning are actually getting there, but we're both realizing that I am essentially memorizing everything. Even the book lessons. It gets to a point where I practice them so much, that it just gets easier (so I think) to ignore the printed music. However, I noticed he sat right next to me for this lesson and said "ok, now instead of what you just did, play it just like it it written." I completely blew it. LOL In "ignoring" the printed music, I'm also not getting the proper fingering, but falling into what to me feels more natural (but can actually make playing the song more difficult).

I really don't know how to completely overcome this. He says it is common for adults, but even more so for people like me, who essentially "play by ear".

I will be away for our next scheduled lesson, so I won't see him for almost 4 weeks. I told him I would stay where I am in the book (essentially repeating last night's lesson), but with two goals in mind:

1. SLOW DOWN

2. Focus on technique and try not to memorize.

Thankfully, he is very easy going and never gets upset...yet! laugh

He gave me two small Chopin pieces (one Prelude and one Etude--my first in the "classical" realm) to start working on. After playing them for me, he said "do NOT memorize this" eek

And the saga continues!

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...] #2769514
10/04/18 07:44 AM
10/04/18 07:44 AM
Southeast USA
P
Progman Offline
Progman  Offline
P

Southeast USA
Pathguy, I might be at the same place in the learning process as you as I started in June with a teacher (59 yo, no previous experience), I think you are talking about rhythm and dynamics (as opposed to hitting the right notes). Slowing down is advice I try to follow - but I definitely count out loud while doing this as consistent correct rhythm is an issue for me (doing eighth notes now). When I count out loud I can not play very fast, so I break out the metronome to get my speed up if the piece requires a faster pace.

On the issue of memorizing, I suggest limit how much you practice any given piece in one day. For me it is about getting my brain to send the right messages to my hands, and I find that if I run through something a few times in one day - the next day I will be improved. I am probably working on 5 or 6 things at a time, so I find that while I am quite familiar with the pattern of notes - my eyes are always on the score and I do not reach the level of memorizing.

I am often checking myself on my practice process.....am I practicing the right way. I always start HS and counting - but I really only do HS and run it through 2 or 3 times before moving on to HT very slowly (with focus on rhythm). When I get HT up to speed, then I work on dynamics to get it finished. It can be frustratingly slow to get something complete (and being able to do it in front of my teacher) but I have come to realize that is the price of admission to becoming pretty good.....It sounds to me like you have a pretty good teacher - you can do it!

Progman
Kawai ES100
Alfreds bk 1 + Teacher
Long Live ELP
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Progman] #2769538
10/04/18 09:08 AM
10/04/18 09:08 AM
Liverpool, NY
P
pathguy Offline
pathguy  Offline
P

Liverpool, NY
Pathguy, I might be at the same place in the learning process as you as I started in June with a teacher (59 yo, no previous experience), I think you are talking about rhythm and dynamics (as opposed to hitting the right notes). Slowing down is advice I try to follow - but I definitely count out loud while doing this as consistent correct rhythm is an issue for me (doing eighth notes now). When I count out loud I can not play very fast, so I break out the metronome to get my speed up if the piece requires a faster pace.

On the issue of memorizing, I suggest limit how much you practice any given piece in one day. For me it is about getting my brain to send the right messages to my hands, and I find that if I run through something a few times in one day - the next day I will be improved. I am probably working on 5 or 6 things at a time, so I find that while I am quite familiar with the pattern of notes - my eyes are always on the score and I do not reach the level of memorizing.

I am often checking myself on my practice process.....am I practicing the right way. I always start HS and counting - but I really only do HS and run it through 2 or 3 times before moving on to HT very slowly (with focus on rhythm). When I get HT up to speed, then I work on dynamics to get it finished. It can be frustratingly slow to get something complete (and being able to do it in front of my teacher) but I have come to realize that is the price of admission to becoming pretty good.....It sounds to me like you have a pretty good teacher - you can do it!

Thanks for the advice Progman! Yeah, I am ok with the rhythms largely....but when forced to not look at my hands I tend to find the wrong notes.

I think some of the problem is that I am practicing each piece too much. I have this need to play these songs "correctly" (or what I feel is correct), and I hate making mistakes. My teacher (bless him) keeps telling me that he is not looking for perfection. So that's something I need to keep in mind. Also, keeping my speed under control (and I always play faster during my lessons, I'm sure because of nerves) will take some effort on my part.

Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: pathguy] #2769561
10/04/18 10:40 AM
10/04/18 10:40 AM
Ventura County, CA

Ventura County, CA

I really don't know how to completely overcome this. He says it is common for adults, but even more so for people like me, who essentially "play by ear".

This is what scares me about my own playing. I usually start by figuring out where my hands/fingers go to begin the piece, and then use intervals from there, occasionally double checking that my positioning is right by matching the note's name to the key I'm pressing. For me the big question is: At two months in, should I be identifying notes and chords or should I be reading intervals? Does anyone know? I may have missed that part in the book...

Yamaha P-45
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Downhill_Fast] #2769572
10/04/18 11:12 AM
10/04/18 11:12 AM
Southeast USA
P
Progman Offline
Progman  Offline
P

Southeast USA
Originally Posted by Downhill Fast

This is what scares me .... should I be identifying notes and chords or should I be reading intervals?

I think for beginners it's getting the right starting hand position, 1st measure (and others) finger ID, and working on intervals from there. I think that is why there is so much interval stuff throughout the book. I am picking up the identification of notes on the score (and where that key is) as I go along....but I know my teacher (25 years experience) uses intervals to some extent when she plays.

Progman
Kawai ES100
Alfreds bk 1 + Teacher
Long Live ELP
Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: pathguy] #2769578
10/04/18 11:25 AM
10/04/18 11:25 AM
Southeast USA
P
Progman Offline
Progman  Offline
P

Southeast USA

Thanks for the advice Progman! Yeah, I am ok with the rhythms largely....but when forced to not look at my hands I tend to find the wrong notes.

I think some of the problem is that I am practicing each piece too much. I have this need to play these songs "correctly" (or what I feel is correct), and I hate making mistakes. My teacher (bless him) keeps telling me that he is not looking for perfection. So that's something I need to keep in mind. Also, keeping my speed under control (and I always play faster during my lessons, I'm sure because of nerves) will take some effort on my part.

I took a typing class when I was in junior high and we had to memorize the keyboard and type without looking at it. Years later when computers were part of work, I re-learned the keyboard and I was a pretty good typist - so I was already comfortable not looking at keys. When I started piano I chose to not look at the keyboard based on that comfort level with typing. Of course you do have to look at the keyboard occasionally as you use more of the keyboard and have to re-index your hand position - many of the exercises make you shift an octave for the 2nd verse, but that's the only exception.

One other thing to think about, when I make a key mistake when playing for my teacher - she wants me to keep going versus my habit to stop. She tells me it is inevitable that a mistake will happen and therefore you need to develop the habit to not stop because that magnifies the error.

Progman
Kawai ES100
Alfreds bk 1 + Teacher
Long Live ELP
Page 266 of 269 1 2 264 265 266 267 268 269

Moderated by  BB Player 

Shop Our Online Store!
Shop Our Store Online
Shop PianoSupplies.com

Did you know Piano World has an online store, and that it's loaded with goodies pianists and music lovers want?
Check it out and place your order.

Special Purchase!
Keyboard and Roses Piano Bench Cushion Keyboard & Roses 14"x30" piano bench cushions only $39. (while supplies last)

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Should I glue this hammer shank? Or just replace it.
by Mason Jones. 12/12/18 01:44 PM
Mapes Stainless vs. Paulello Nickel Plated Iron.
by Craig Hair. 12/12/18 01:10 PM
Rach3 Arrangement
by nappy. 12/12/18 12:08 PM
*NEW* Jazz Piano: Pieces of the Puzzle w/Dave Frank
by Dfrankjazz. 12/12/18 10:44 AM
Aspen Pittman designs Spacestation XL
by Hr.. 12/12/18 05:17 AM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,858
Posts2,770,475
Members91,739
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission