Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

What's Hot!!
NAMM 2018
-------------------
Forums With A View!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Fall 2017
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
119 registered members (ando, bennevis, agraffe, Beakybird, 30 invisible), 931 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 256 of 257 1 2 254 255 256 257
#2710326 - 01/31/18 09:00 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Gibbsey]  
Skullie Offline
Skullie  Offline

Toronto, ON, Canada
Originally Posted by Gibbsey
Gidget I'm close to your generation and love hearing that others are having difficult times as well as good times. It seems it goes really well then bogs down and then I get through it. Do others have the same experience?

Not sure what generation we're talking about here, but I definitely find that with any skill I'm trying to learn improvement comes in waves. Sometimes I'm on a crest and things come easy, sometimes I'm in a trough and I've got to really struggle to make any progress.

Decided I've learned all I can from Alpine Melody, Waltz Time, and Standing in the Need of Prayer, so I moved on to Cafe Vienna and Lullaby. Still working on the same RCM piece (Aria, by Anonymous, from RCM grade 1)

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#2710359 - 01/31/18 10:23 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]  
GidgetKeys Offline
GidgetKeys  Offline

Maryland
I'm feeling like I'm slowing down and maybe that's not necessarily a bad thing. Maybe I"m taking more time to really master an exercise before I'm moving on. I feel like Cafe Vienna is in good shape, Lullaby could use some work, and up to Joy to the World is pretty good.

I also have the Alfred's Greatest Hits book 1 and I've worked with the first 4-5 songs from that book. Anybody else using this as a companion to the method book? I like that it indicates when I am ready to proceed to the next song based on the skills from the method book.

I've seen where others work in multiple methods at the same time. So now I'm wondering if I should continue as I am, or maybe work from 2 at the same time, like maybe the Piano Adventures series. That seems quite popular.

I also joined the MOYD challenge. I feel like that helps me - more out of the fear of having to justify why I didn't practice than anything.

On a different note, the young keyboardist (whom I love to watch play with a band that we frequently follow, and who inspired me to get back on this journey) has left the band. I understand... she's young and has a boyfriend... but a bummer that she won't be playing with them... at least for awhile.

Alfred's Adult All-in-One, Book 1
#2710396 - 01/31/18 12:44 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: GidgetKeys]  
Skullie Offline
Skullie  Offline

Toronto, ON, Canada
Originally Posted by GidgetKeys

I also have the Alfred's Greatest Hits book 1 and I've worked with the first 4-5 songs from that book. Anybody else using this as a companion to the method book? I like that it indicates when I am ready to proceed to the next song based on the skills from the method book.

I've seen where others work in multiple methods at the same time. So now I'm wondering if I should continue as I am, or maybe work from 2 at the same time, like maybe the Piano Adventures series. That seems quite popular.

GidgetKeys, I wanted to get that book, but my local music store was out at the time. It looks like the "Greatest hits" supplements have some fun songs in them, how do you like the arrangements so far?

If there's anything in Piano Adventures that you'd like to play, I say go for it, but I'm not sure if it's necessary.

#2710410 - 01/31/18 01:31 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]  
monkeeys Online content
monkeeys  Online Content

Union SC
I’ve got to look at the Greatest Hits book. Does it come on iBooks? GidgetKeys, your mention of using more than one method was a question I had. The video lessons that I take are pretty good as she goes more into intervals than Alfred’s or at least sooner. It has helped me in reading and I figure any overlap just helps re enforce things in my 48 yr old head.

Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently Unit 3
Alfred Adult Piano 1-ebook version
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
#2710434 - 01/31/18 03:28 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: monkeeys]  
GidgetKeys Offline
GidgetKeys  Offline

Maryland
carolinakeys,

I might have to check out those video lessons too. I'm right there with ya with that 48 year old head (at least for 10 more days).

#2710490 - 01/31/18 07:20 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]  
monkeeys Online content
monkeeys  Online Content

Union SC
They are good lessons. Free videos and buy the ebook kind of thing but very reasonable and high quality. I’ve no interest or benefit at all. Just my opinion and I’m a beginner of course but I think I can recognize quality. As I stated above, the interval studies have helped me. I like Alfred as well tho I know it has its detractors, I think any method is gonna be slow going. As I’ve seen here in the forum many times, there are no magic shortcuts. Happy Birthday, tho a little early.

Last edited by carolinakeys; 01/31/18 07:22 PM.

Alesis Coda Pro
#2711136 - 02/03/18 06:22 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: GidgetKeys]  
Gibbsey Offline
Gibbsey  Offline

Massachusetts
GidgetKeys,
I've ordered the Alfred's Greatest Hits as well, it's coming today from Amazon. I'm proceeding along and just started sharps in Alfred's. I had a difficult time moving to the G position but as everyone here said just stick with it. I'm much more comfortable with it now, and have a great feeling of accomplishment. One of the best pieces of advice i've received here is to enjoy the journey, it's all about the trip.
My wife got me the first Faber book as a surprise so I'll be diving into that as well. I'll let you know how I make out in the Greatest Hits book. Keep up the posts everyone, love reading them.

#2711219 - 02/03/18 02:16 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Gibbsey]  
Handyman Offline
Handyman  Offline

Hershey, PA, USA
Hi everyone - I'm starting over again after a fairly long layoff - do most of you recommend Alfred 1 as a decent starting point?

#2711240 - 02/03/18 03:24 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]  
monkeeys Online content
monkeeys  Online Content

Union SC
Hi Handyman and welcome. Im a green beginner using Alfred but I’ll leave your question to more qualified players. I do wish you well on your journey with whatever method you choose and I can attest that this is a supportive group on this forum. I’ve gotten a lot of help here. Again, welcome and happy playing. Mb

Alesis Coda Pro
#2711262 - 02/03/18 04:54 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: monkeeys]  
Handyman Offline
Handyman  Offline

Hershey, PA, USA
Thanks much carolinakeys for the well wishes and encouragement! And for deferring the recommendation - it's a wise man or woman who knows his/her limitations - I have far too many myself...

Last edited by Handyman; 02/03/18 04:56 PM. Reason: all inclusiveness
#2711540 - 02/04/18 07:26 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]  
monkeeys Online content
monkeeys  Online Content

Union SC
I’m up to and about to start on “Standing In The Need Of Prayer” after getting the tricky little fingering in “Happy Birthday”. I must admit that I underestimated that one. The next one looks to be interesting.
Handyman, I thought someone would be here by now. I don’t have a teacher in person but do some video lessons. You will be advised to get a teacher if possible. As for Alfred, it has its critics but it is a long established method that a friend who is a pro player of 20 yrs approved of. I can offer this from my own experience, be patient as there are no magic short cuts. I started trying to move fast just to get on here and say I turned a page and it cost me. Now I do a lesson until I have it down. As I stated before, this forum has some really helpful people even tho it has seemed slow the last few days. I guess they are prepping for the big game. Just move slow and seek help as needed to avoid bad habits. You will do well. Enjoy the journey. Mb

Alesis Coda Pro
#2711557 - 02/04/18 09:44 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]  
GidgetKeys Offline
GidgetKeys  Offline

Maryland
So far I am liking Alfred's. I have slowed down so that I am spending more time mastering a piece before moving on from it even though I may actually be working on several pages at a time. Right now I am working on a section from Cafe Vienna through Cockles and Muscles.

I also work from the Greatest Hits companion book (everything up to Rainbow Connection).

Carolinakeys, I'm checking out those video lessons. I like her approach. I decided to start at the beginning even though it's all really material I've already covered so far, but you just never know when there might be a tip that could be useful.

Welcome Handyman. Sounds like you are not a totally green beginner. Let us know how you are progressing.

Lana

#2711560 - 02/04/18 09:55 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]  
Finfan Offline
Finfan  Offline

Arizona USA
I've come back to the Alfred's book after a hiatus of studying other methods and apps. I'm working with my teacher on this and using the pieces in this book to finally "make friends" with the metronome. Currently working on "Raisins and Almonds".

Kawai ES8
Yamaha P105
Yamaha YPT220

A lack of talent does not stop you from learning piano. It just takes longer and you have to work harder.

[Linked Image]
#2711571 - 02/04/18 11:12 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]  
monkeeys Online content
monkeeys  Online Content

Union SC
GidgetKeys, I agree with you on her approach. I looked around and that site just stuck out. I’m in Unit 3 now and it starts to get more involved. I haven’t found anything that I don’t like and plan to stick with her. I didn’t see that Greatest Hits on iBooks. I’m waiting on an eye surgery this summer and the tablet is the only way that I can read at present. (makes everything harder) I do like the book. You are progressing well. Keep on keeping on.

Finfan, welcome back. Great going on the metronome and I admit I’ve been slack there. Great quote on your post.

I always look forward to this thread. Mb

Alesis Coda Pro
#2711637 - 02/05/18 10:10 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: monkeeys]  
Handyman Offline
Handyman  Offline

Hershey, PA, USA
Originally Posted by carolinakeys

Handyman, ... I started trying to move fast just to get on here and say I turned a page and it cost me. Now I do a lesson until I have it down. As I stated before, this forum has some really helpful people even tho it has seemed slow the last few days. I guess they are prepping for the big game. ... Mb

Sounds like real good advice carolinakeys - I made that same mistake in my short false start before - it's nice to know there's some helpful people here!
BTW - what is this big game you're referring to? smile

Last edited by Handyman; 02/05/18 10:12 AM.
#2711639 - 02/05/18 10:20 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: GidgetKeys]  
Handyman Offline
Handyman  Offline

Hershey, PA, USA
Originally Posted by GidgetKeys

Welcome Handyman. Sounds like you are not a totally green beginner. Let us know how you are progressing.

Lana

Thanks for the welcome GidgetKeys - I think I'll probably be using Alfred and I'll check back in here with updates & questions as I progress (such as it will be)...

#2711982 - 02/06/18 01:23 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]  
TELS Offline
TELS  Offline

Can anyone send me the pdf for the Alfred's Basic Adult All-in-One Course level 1 so I can print it for myself?

#2712087 - 02/06/18 05:42 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: TELS]  
u38cg Offline
u38cg  Offline

Can anyone send me the PDF for a dollar bill so a poor working musician can afford to pay his rent?

Ask me about bagpipes.
#2712102 - 02/06/18 05:55 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]  
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Orange County, California
Type this into Google - "download alfreds adult piano pdf"

It will probably be the first link laugh

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
SoundCloud
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
#2712269 - 02/07/18 08:53 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]  
Skullie Offline
Skullie  Offline

Toronto, ON, Canada
Sorry for the delay, but welcome, Handyman!

I'm a returning pianist myself. I got up to grade 3 RCM as a child/young teen before calling it quits. I'm now in my mid 30s. I'm using Alfred as a way to bring myself back up to speed and make sure that the theory I remember doesn't have any holes in it. I'm enjoying it - the arrangements are simplified well without feeling patronizing and the increase in difficulty between songs is enough to keep it interesting but not frustrating. I definitely can't believe I'd forgotten this much theory!

Overall, I'd recommend it as a good way to clear away the rust.

I cleared myself on Cafe Vienna this week, but still want to spend some more time polishing Lullaby. Started on Joy to the World.
In RCM Grade 1, I think I've finally got the notes for Aria drilled into my head, so now I'm working on dynamics and getting it up to speed.

Last edited by Skullie; 02/07/18 09:00 AM.
#2712464 - 02/07/18 07:50 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]  
Handyman Offline
Handyman  Offline

Hershey, PA, USA
Thanks much for the welcome Skullie - looking forward to learning along with all of you here - I've just started Alfred 1 - it's an old, used copy from about 10 years ago - I don't know if any new editions have come out, but this will have to do...Just started working on Jingle Bells (an early start for next Christmas). smile

#2712777 - 02/08/18 10:08 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]  
JimZipCode Offline
JimZipCode  Offline

Maryland, USA
I'm working thru Alfred book 1 with a teacher, and it's great. One nice thing about working with a teacher, is the natural "chunking". He writes he date of "today's" lesson on the pages that he wants me to work on in the coming week, and also a "stop here" a little farther along. I've only had four lessons so far: but a pattern is emerging.

In the first couple days after the lesson, I will polish up the last piece or so from the previous section, usually because I wasn't 100% pleased with how I played it in front of the teacher, or I don't quite feel like I have it down; and then also look at the first couple pages of the current section. Later in the week, I have moved on from the last section and am now working on everything in the new section.

Another thing that I'm also doing: as we work on a section, when I get home I go on PianoTV.net and find the post that covers about the same material. Usually Allysia has a piece of sheet music that is of the right challenge level, and is more interesting than the stuff in the book for the same lesson. So I'll print out the piece and work on it in addition to my Alfred stuff for the week. I'll also email my teacher the link to the sheet music, as a heads-up.

So at the next lesson, I play for him the stuff I was "assigned" in the Alfred book the previous week, and also the PianoTV piece that I downloaded and worked on. He gives comments & feedback on everything, and says of most things "I think we can move on." And so we do, to the next group of pages in the book.
(Except as I said, sometimes I'll work for another day or so on one of those pieces, to nail it down just a bit more.)

The PianoTV stuff is very well-chosen for the level; makes a great supplement to the Alfred material, so I feel like I am doing a ton of learning in a compressed amount of time. Like having two lessons at once, maybe. :-)

This week in Alfred, we're on G position and just introduced D7 chords. Last week from PianoTV I learned the Hook Minuet (counterpoint! very tough!) and Red River Valley. This week, my PianoTV supplement is Ode To Joy: perfect complement, it has G and D7 chords in the left hand.

#2712856 - 02/09/18 08:24 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]  
Handyman Offline
Handyman  Offline

Hershey, PA, USA
Skullie - what's this RCM you referred to above?

#2712857 - 02/09/18 08:34 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]  
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

RCM is Royal Conservatory of Music. I started with Alfred's when I first began lessons, but then transitioned to following the RCM syllabus.

https://www.rcmusic.com/

Here is the latest piano syllabus.

https://www.rcmusic.com/sites/default/files/files/RCM-Piano-Syllabus-2015.pdf

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
SoundCloud
#2713223 - 02/10/18 03:10 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]  
Handyman Offline
Handyman  Offline

Hershey, PA, USA
Does one have to qualify or audition for acceptance into the RCM program?

#2713296 - 02/10/18 06:48 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Handyman]  
bSharp(C)yclist Offline
1000 Post Club Member
bSharp(C)yclist  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Originally Posted by Handyman

Usually one works with a teacher and goes through the syllabus. However, you can follow it yourself and sign up for exams on your own. Some people just follow the syllabus, and opt not to take exams.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
SoundCloud
#2713361 - 02/11/18 04:28 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]  
PhilipInChina Offline
3000 Post Club Member
PhilipInChina  Offline
3000 Post Club Member

Bulgaria
Well, it's snowing here. I am looking at my "back catalogue", trying to remember pieces I haven't touched for a while. So I am trying "singin' in the rain" in the hope that it will turn the snow into rain and clear the way for me to take Shadow for a walk.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
#2713673 - 02/12/18 09:14 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Handyman]  
Skullie Offline
Skullie  Offline

Toronto, ON, Canada
Originally Posted by Handyman

The books are available for anyone to purchase. There are 5 books per level: Repertoire, Studies, Theory, Technical Requirements, and Sight & Ear training. I've only got the Repertoire, Studies, and Technical Requirements for the first 3 levels.

Originally, my teacher moved me to the RCM syllabus once I'd finished level 2 of Bastien Piano Basics. I took the exam for grade 1, skipped the exam for grade 2 and went straight to studying grade 3. If you're planning on taking exams, a teacher can help you polish pieces and really get them polished, and help you with the technical requirements and ear training. If you're not planning on taking exams, it's still a good way to find a smooth progression of difficulty.

Alfred's level 1 and RCM grade 1 are about the same level, difficulty-wise, so I'm using it as supplemental repertoire since I already had the books from when I studied previously.

#2713680 - 02/12/18 10:22 AM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]  
Handyman Offline
Handyman  Offline

Hershey, PA, USA
Thanks for the info bSharp & Skullie...good to know...have all I can handle with Alfred now, but maybe later...

#2713859 - 02/12/18 11:24 PM Re: Alfred's Basic and ALL in One Adult Piano Course Book #1 [Re: Mark...]  
monkeeys Online content
monkeeys  Online Content

Union SC
I’ve just about gotten “Standing In The Need Of Prayer” finished. Great little song. (It has verses)
I haven’t heard “The Gift To Be Simple” but once and I’m looking forward to it. Irish Washer Woman was a fun one from my video lessons. I’ve also a lot of review to do in Alfred to try and keep other stuff fresh. It’s gonna be a good week. I hope you all are doing well.y

Alesis Coda Pro
Page 256 of 257 1 2 254 255 256 257

Moderated by  BB Player, casinitaly 

Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
CLEARANCE SPECIALS!
Save Big In our online store now

In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World)
our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, Digital Piano Dolly, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping* on Jansen Artist Piano Benches, Cocoweb Piano Lamps, Hidrau Hydraulic Piano Benches
(*free shipping within contiguous U.S. only)
(ad)
Pianist Magazine
Pianist Magazine - Issue 100
(ad)
SummerKeys
Maine Coast Music Vacation for Adults
(ad)
Pearl River & Ritmuller
Ritmuller Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq 6 Out now
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Has Cadenza Consistency Improved?
by Justoneguy. 02/22/18 03:03 PM
Adilia Alieva International Piano Competition
by Piano World. 02/22/18 02:22 PM
"C" hammer??
by Sanfrancisco. 02/22/18 01:01 PM
Piano Movie: Making The Grade In Cinemas April 13th
by Chili_Time. 02/22/18 12:56 PM
Looking at Used Yamaha GC1 - Looking for opinions
by ecstudier. 02/22/18 10:59 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics184,397
Posts2,698,279
Members89,666
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission