2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
32 members (admodios, busa, Cominut, drumour, Foxtrot3, crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, 6 invisible), 1,164 guests, and 273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I haven't been around much lately but I must say this sounds better with every post.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by mr_super-hunky:
Copper:

It may be time for one of your famous survey's. Maybe a poll to see who would go, who won't and who's undecided. But then again, like Yuri said, a location must be chosen first.

How about a location poll first. Possibly take the suggested location (minus the aelution islands) as well as a write in category.
Agreed, as location may be the top influence for who may be able to swing it or not.

Tina

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."
Time of year would be important to me - when were you thinking of holding this?

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by TThomas:
Originally posted by -Frycek:
[b] Sushi
Originally posted by Rosanna:
Frycek, you are on the food commitee!
Aww, man! I thought SC's gift to the food world was peach pie?

Tina [/b]
That's one of them. Along with pecan pie, Lady Baltimore Cake, red rice, she crab soup, bbq and cornbread dressing, not to mention hoppin' john, collards, shrimp & grits, and Frogmore stew - - -

(Frogmore is a town - no frogs were harmed in the making of this stew)

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
LOL, Frycek - now THAT'S what I'M talkin' about! laugh My vote is for the SC mountains!

p.s. - don't we have some bluegrass players here, too? We could really have ourselves a throw-down!

Tina

epf Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by playadom:
Assuming I get flied out there, I'd love to play on that 9-ft rent-a-grand in sunny Arizona while enjoying sushi!
gerg,

Hmmm...wouldn't that make the keys sticky what with all that sushi on them? wink

Ed

"...a man ... should engage himself with the causes of the harmonious combination of sounds, and with the composition of music." Anatolius of Alexandria
[Linked Image]
YouTube Channel
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Debussy20:
Cliburn competition near there Dennis? I'm not very familiar with Texas, even though my father is from there and is a full AGGIE fan. (it was crazy at my house tonight... the Aggies beat the Longhorns)
Nah, 300+ miles away in Fort Worth, I believe. Darn those Aggies. laugh

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
How about a location poll first. Possibly take the suggested location (minus the aelution islands) as well as a write in category.
Not just location, but general interest. And how far people are willing (or able) to travel. Maybe we should create an official "poll" somewhere so the results are easier to tally.

About the concert hall: the city where I live has a music school that has its own concert hall that is for rent. It seats about 250 people and comes with a grand piano (and a bar!). A venue like that would be ideal for our purposes.

epf Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
We might also consider colleges and universities that have recital halls -- those can often be rented and usually have access to concert grand pianos.

Ed

"...a man ... should engage himself with the causes of the harmonious combination of sounds, and with the composition of music." Anatolius of Alexandria
[Linked Image]
YouTube Channel
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally posted by TX-Dennis:
Originally posted by Debussy20:
[b] Cliburn competition near there Dennis? I'm not very familiar with Texas, even though my father is from there and is a full AGGIE fan. (it was crazy at my house tonight... the Aggies beat the Longhorns)
Nah, 300+ miles away in Fort Worth, I believe. Darn those Aggies. laugh [/b]
Gig-em

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by TThomas:
[b]
[b] Sushi
Originally posted by Rosanna:
Frycek, you are on the food commitee!
Aww, man! I thought SC's gift to the food world was peach pie?

Tina [/b]
That's one of them. Along with pecan pie, Lady Baltimore Cake, red rice, she crab soup, bbq and cornbread dressing, not to mention hoppin' john, collards, shrimp & grits, and Frogmore stew - - -

(Frogmore is a town - no frogs were harmed in the making of this stew) [/b]
Well... I want some of those collards! Right now!

Practice makes permanent - Perfect practice makes perfect.
I
I
I'm not an active forum member but I am a true adult beginner who enjoys meeting others who have taken up the same challenge. So, I couldn't resist commenting on this thread. I see a very good idea here with little hope of execution as a single, nation wide event. This is an idea that needs to "walk before it runs". Why not try smaller, multiple, regional events - Northeast, Southeast, Midwest, West coast for example. Local universities with music programs sounds like the best idea to me for auditoriums and pianos. Certainly we know piano teachers with connections that could help make these arrangements. If the smaller gatherings go well, there could be momentum for a larger gathering. This idea just needs some regional leadership by a few people with time and energy to pull it together.

I'm interested in this because I think the lack of experience playing in front of others is one of the elements that makes us (maybe keeps us) beginners. I've tried it once and it is a challenging experience for a beginner - at least it was for me - and very different from practice, lessons and even my teacher's recital. This seems like a challenging yet safe environment to gain some of this experience. I would try to attend a Midwest gathering.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
IPlay,

Welcome to the forum!!

Walking before running isn’t a bad idea.
But…
Mr. S-H really has a knack for planting these ever so ingenious seeds.
The more I think about it, the more hyped I become. Although I have to admit, I would probably soil my fruit of the looms in the process.

I personally think 2010 is a conservative goal, 2009 reasonable, 2008 somewhat aggressive. If we do a poll, we should include how far in the future.
But yeah, let’s do this!!

Originally posted by IPlay:
I'm not an active forum member but I am a true adult beginner who enjoys meeting others who have taken up the same challenge. So, I couldn't resist commenting on this thread. I see a very good idea here with little hope of execution as a single, nation wide event. This is an idea that needs to "walk before it runs". Why not try smaller, multiple, regional events - Northeast, Southeast, Midwest, West coast for example. Local universities with music programs sounds like the best idea to me for auditoriums and pianos. Certainly we know piano teachers with connections that could help make these arrangements. If the smaller gatherings go well, there could be momentum for a larger gathering. This idea just needs some regional leadership by a few people with time and energy to pull it together.

I'm interested in this because I think the lack of experience playing in front of others is one of the elements that makes us (maybe keeps us) beginners. I've tried it once and it is a challenging experience for a beginner - at least it was for me - and very different from practice, lessons and even my teacher's recital. This seems like a challenging yet safe environment to gain some of this experience. I would try to attend a Midwest gathering.
Hello IPlay,

Welcome to the forums.

Actually there have been a couple of smaller gatherings around the USA. These gatherings tend to be informal rather than a more formal event I believe Mr. SH is envisioning. I believe there is one such informal gathering scheduled for this weekend in MA. In fact a couple of us ABFers in the Chicagoland area met this past summer at a forum member's home for an informal get-together taking turns playing for each other. That get-together was quite a boost for all of us in overcoming nervousness playing for others.

We have quite a few members in the Chicagoland area so it looks like we may be overdue for another get-together.

I don't want to detract from what Mr. SH is trying to do. I think it's a great idea and if executed would take us ABFers to the next level in our piano playing. We all would definitely benefit from such an event. Given that ABFers are worldwide, no one location will satisfy everyone. Nevertheless even if I am unable to attend such an event I would like to know that such an event exists that provides a genuine performance opportunity for a real amateur like myself and many other ABFers. However your point is well taken if we tried to expand on Mr SH's idea on a more regional scale within the USA and outside of the USA so that the majority of the ABFers would have greater access to a live performance opportunity.

I'm in. I'll bring GOMSB, my DH, and Erica, the lil geek-mini-me. She's been playing for over a year now and she's a heck of a salesman (woman). She'll get our money out of gradeschool children! "Hey, isn't that an ATM by the gym?" Girlscouts never had it so good until she quit.

Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member

Welcome to the forums.

Actually there have been a couple of smaller gatherings around the USA. These gatherings tend to be informal rather than a more formal event I believe Mr. SH is envisioning. I believe there is one such informal gathering scheduled for this weekend in MA. In fact a couple of us ABFers in the Chicagoland area met this past summer at a forum member's home for an informal get-together taking turns playing for each other. That get-together was quite a boost for all of us in overcoming nervousness playing for others.
You can view threads on a number of piano parties, piano factory tours, etc. here...

http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/forum/22.html

This special edition of our newsletter talks about a couple of big upcoming parties and even a repeat of a famous "piano crawl" we had a few years ago in NY
http://www.pianoworld.com/Newsletters/Newsletter_Nov_26_2007.html

We've had PWPF get togethers at a number of piano dealers showrooms, which might be a thought for this project (lots of room and lots of pianos).

Or, if anyone is a member of an organization (K of C, Lions Club, etc.) you may be able to get a deal on a hall, and get a local dealer to supply the piano(s).

For example, there is a party coming up this Saturday (Dec. 1) at Larry Buck's Custom Piano Service shop in Lowell, MA ( http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/topic/22/145.html ).

Larry is providing the space (and he has a lot of it), and Darrell's Music Hall in Nashua, NH http://www.darrellsmusichall.com/index.php is supplying two Schimmel pianos.

Now if you could just get a sponsor to help underwrite the costs, like:
The Piano Manufacturers Association International, or NAMM, or... Anybody know Oprah?

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Copper:

It may be time for one of your famous survey's. Maybe a poll to see who would go, who won't and who's undecided. But then again, like Yuri said, a location must be chosen first.

I've turned on the ability to create polls in the ABF, please don't abuse it.

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
That's it Frank...a ABF gathering on Oprah's show...Chicago...

HEY OPRAHHHHHH

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta area
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Monster M&H:
That's it Frank...a ABF gathering on Oprah's show...Chicago...

HEY OPRAHHHHHH
Actually, I can see Oprah happily doing a show like this! Just sayin'! And then, in true Oprah style, right before the show is over she announces that she's giving us each a gorgeous grand piano to take home with us!

Tina

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Tina, I like that last part!

[Linked Image]
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission