2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (Erinmarriott, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, busa, 4 invisible), 1,319 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1066793 10/05/04 05:42 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Hi, I'm new. I did search before posting this, I didn't see anything quite dealing with this, I hope I didn't miss something, if I did, I'm sorry! Could you please point me in that direction? Anyways, on to my question.

I'm sixteen and I have virtually no music experience. However, I've always wanted to the play the piano and I fear I'm just putting it off and putting it off.

How would I go about learning to play? I don't expect ot be good at all, but it has always been something I've wanted to do. How do I know if it's for me? Where should I start? My family does not have a piano or anything for me to practice on, would I be better going with a Keyboard?

Basically, does anyone have any advice for a newbie?

#1066794 10/05/04 06:11 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
First visit the MTNA (Music Teacher's National Association) to learn a little about what a teacher should do for you, and how to go about finding one that's "right".
http://www.mtna.org

Then go to their teacher locator, and find some teachers to interview.
https://members.mtna.org/mtnareports/Teacher_Lookup.asp

As for the keyboard issue, if that's all you can get it's all you can get. Just know that your developement will be limited as long as you're playing a keyboard rather than an acoustic piano. You will want an acoustic piano as soon as possible if you're going to take piano playing seriously.

And finally...

ENJOY YOURSELF! smile

Have fun with it

#1066795 10/05/04 06:42 PM
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
maybe you could find a piano class for beginners at a local college to start with. but usually such a class would be offered during summer time. the good thing about such a class is that you could learn some basics on piano playing and music theory as well, and have fellow students to share the experience. after that, if indeed you like it and want to continue, you would have a good direction.

depending on how serious and how much you could spend, it is the best to get a digital piano (with weighted keys) first but you could settle for a decent (weightless) keyboard (with touch sensitive/response option) if you are on budget. you could always get a better piano later if you would be really good at it and really enjoy continuing with it.

so, good luck!

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission