2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
40 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,179 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
OP Offline
L
Hi,

Just wondered on this - I only plan to play for enjoyment as i love to listen to classical music and hope to be able to replicate that someday.

I am steadily learning how to read the notes and match my fingers to what i read. To me that is all i need to do.

Is it particularly important to know that such and such is a diminished whatever, or this chord is called G7 etc - i am not being examined and if i can see what a G7 is and can play it can i leave it at that or is it actually important to know names?

Would like to get some theory in my head but not bog myself down so that i lose enjoyment of just seeing and playing the note - regardless of what they are called.

Thanks for any input.

Liam

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Liam,

I think theory helps because then when playing, you can conceptually combine multiple individual notes into more abstract chunks of data like chords and patterns - these are then easier to recognise, remember, recall and perform than the individual notes. So it (at least) helps sight-reading and memorisation of pieces; it also helps you get out of trouble when memory fails.

And it's a lot of fun! Especially analysing a piece to see how a particular effect was achieved or how the piece is structured in general... or if you want to compose pieces yourself...

I started learning theory a few months ago and find it as much fun as practical piano playing, which is handy because my thumbs are giving me grief at the moment...

smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm not much of a music reader, but when I know the chords reading instantly becomes much easier. smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I used to think just like you, but then came to see some immediate benefits to theory. The major one is that it helps in sight-reading, because like mentioned before you are no longer reading note by note. The second benefit is "reverse-engineering" somebody else's composition so that you can play it yourself.

B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Theory learned as a reinforcement to the music you are using is certainly recommended. Many teachers assign all these many "facts" about everything you eventually need to know, but they have you working on techniques and theories that you do not need to know at this time.

It is far better to do the theory background at a time when you are working on the concept. The music should support the concept you are learning.

In other words, I'm saying "on an as needed basis." There is a "ripe" time for theory and technique. All concepts should be supported and taught in visual, aural, and tactile approaches to be thoroughly presented to the student.

Don't be afraid of theory and don't ignore it's wonderful support in understanding what you are doing musically. Being logical, sequential, systemized is not comfortable for all learners. It still needs to be done - and with the learners perceptions in mind.

Betty

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I think there is an article in the latest edition of 'Pianist' magazine about the use and importance of theory.

(haven't got around to reading it myself yet - I tend to skip straight to the sheet music smile )

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Knowing the chord names, inversions, their function in the piece, etc, has helped me a lot - although I don't play much classical. But since it also helps me to remember a piece and play it to speed and with some feeling, it seems to me that part would be the same if I were playing classical. But I learned them long after I could just play the notes, and I think, for me, it would have been better to have learned them early on - I think I would have made more "music" instead of just wiggling fingers and playing notes smile

But I'd say, don't do it to the point where it makes you want to quit playing - maybe do one or two things per piece - go thru a piece and find the tonics, whether blocked or broken, root or inversion, for instance, and then you'll notice when they're used and how they function. And don't do other things with that piece. On a different piece you might find the V chords, and see how their used, and you'll probably recognize the I's just because you've done those on a different piece.

Or don't do any of it until it interests you!

But I do find some theory really useful, and fun for that matter.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Some people are very curious. They *want* to know how the music works, not because it's for an exam, not because it's going to help them play better, not because it will make them look smart in conversations about music... but simply because they are curious.

Other people couldn't care less.

Sam
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I bought a book on preliminary rudiments a couple of years back when I wanted to pass an the RCM exam for classical guitar. I must say I don't regret a thing.
Take a little at a time and everything will just sink in. Sometimes it takes longer. But its all part of the enjoyment of music.

Peter

Ok..Ok... If you don't want your Steinway give it to me !!!!
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Hey Liam...

For me, I equate it to knowing how a magic trick is done. Almost always, when you finally learn how the trick was done, you think "is that it? Is it really that easy?". How obvious now that I know....

You can go forever not knowing and be happy, and for some, it ruins magic. But, some of us just love learning how it was done.

Music theory is the same way for me. It's learning how it is done, and almost always, I have the same reaction, how easy, how obvious, how silly I did not see it.

"There is nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself." Johann Sebastian Bach/Gyro
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I was taught NO theory growing up. I doubt if my teachers themselves knew any. The more I practice, the more complex my pieces become, the more I feel the lack. I've ordered some interactive theory learning software to help remedy the situation. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission