2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Barry_Braksick, danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, 12 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
JeanL Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Hi everyone:

I am in need of help on how to get the hand position right. It is for my son. It is very difficult to have him touch the keys with high palms, and he plays with "froggy" fingers and flat hands quite often.

Are there some exercise that works to corret these? I am frustrated. Thanks a lot!

C
C
I can relate to that. I was self taught for about two years and when I took my first piano lesson my teacher told me to curve my fingers more.
I also played with flat fingers.

This was a big adjustment for me and it was difficult to do.
What made me lift my hand and curve my fingers was playing staccato. Even if you don't like to lift up your hand and play flat you have to do it if you want to play the song descent.
So I would suggest you let him play some staccato songs.

My hand position is still not perfect but it has improved alot since I started lessons about 6 months ago.

I also find that practicing scales also helps as it is very difficult to do if you keep your hands flat.

Sorry about the mistakes...
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Jean, how old is your son? I started the piano as an adult, so I don't know if my experience is at all relevant, but here goes.

What helped me change my hand position was not so much being told what my hand should look like, but rather being told what my fingers should be doing, how they should be connecting with the keys. I was able to picture that I don't want to play as if I were leaving my fingerprints on the piano, but more as if I were trying to bring my fingers down perpendicular to the key, and this helped me get an image in my head what part of my finger I wanted to touch the key. Does that make sense?

People talk about having a ball under your palm or whatever, but those things never made sense to me until *after* my hand shape started to change. Don't know if this will help you and your son, but good luck.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
So many things need to be shown so verbal descriptions are often lacking in clarity and this is one of those things. However, I'll attempt to give some idea of how to find a natural position for the hand on the keyboard. Do this yourself first: let the hand and arm hang loosely by your side--relaxed. Now, without changing the way the hand is now hanging, place the hand on the keyboard making sure you retain the position it was in while hanging. The fingers should be somewhat curved with the thumb close to the index finger. You might have to try that several times to get the position right as the tendency is to change it during the transition from the side to the keyboard.

After a basic position is obtained, then you'll find that you adjust the positions as the music requires--sometimes flatter fingers and sometimes on the tips. The knuckle bridge should not 'cave in' but be rounded in the basic position.

I hope this helps but it would be better to have it demonstrated to make sure you understand how to obtain a basic five-finger position on the keyboard. Make sure the height and distance for your son is adequate, too, for his age and physical stature.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
When he starts to play between the black keys, he'll have to raise his hand and curve his fingers.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I did forget to ask--what are 'froggy' fingers? That I don't quite understand. Flat--yes; 'froggy'--no. Would you explain, please?

Thanks!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I assumed it means that the palm is kept low and the knuckles of the fingers are actually higher than the palm. Another problem with this is that they obviously can't be relaxed while playing this way.

It might be worthwhile to have them practice with a piece they already know and love and teach them how to play without tension and with proper hand position. Then slowly introduce a new piece after that and have them keep relaxed as they learn the new notes.

I'm having trouble doing that myself. frown

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
My teacher tells my son to play with "ballerina fingers." It's a visual image that seems to connect with him . . .

J
JeanL Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Dear friends:

Thank you all for your kind reply! I will try your methods. I truly appreciate your inputs!

About the "froggy" fingers. As Bob Muir said, I also believe it meant flat hands with low palms -- teachers probably use it for children. I read it from another parent forum, and I was confused too.

My son is in Kindergarten. He started not too long ago.

Thanks again!

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission