2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
38 members (Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 9 invisible), 1,155 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#1061440 09/26/08 07:24 PM
V
OP Offline
V
Hello everyone. I have previously posted (just a few times) as vk922, but I changed my name. Easier.

I'm curious to know how much you usually practice? How many times per week and how often per practice. I haven't even found a teacher yet (they seem to one extreme or the other so far) so I bought the Alfred beginner book today. I was thinking I could do 15-20 minutes a day without a problem. One of the teachers I spoke with expects an hour a day, which seems like a lot.

Just wondering.

Valerie
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hello there Valerie,

I'm still new @ this place and the Piano but the journey has begun. I've been lucky enough to find myself a great teacher who lives just down the road from me.

I've been practicing some days for 30m others for 2hrs. I've just finished Alfred's Book #1 (2.5mths) using this method so I am very happy with the progress. I've seen that some people here practice for 2-3hrs a day. Some days I can do this, others it's 30-50m at best.

For sure the more you practice the better you will be (of course) but I'd say that the more practice you can put in during the first 1-2yrs of this journey will benefit you greatly down the road.

Best of all enjoy, it's so much fun!

"...I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING it!..."
[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Hello, Valerie! smile

I have been playing piano for about 12 years now (I started super young. I'm a teenager!), and practicing time usually varies for me. At one point, I was competing and I was hitting 2-3 hours a day. Then, because I'm a perfectionist, I ended up injuring myself and developing tendonitis in both my left and right hands and wrists.

Some people find it hard to sit for a while and just practice. For me, I enjoy it a lot, so some days I find myself practicing for more than an hour, other days when I have to balance school work and studying for tests plus piano and my other two instruments, it's about 30 minutes.

My one philosophy, is that even if you don't have time, try your HARDEST to practice, trying to touch the piano at least once. Going through all of your lessons at least once. That's the important part. Even 15-20 minutes is fine, I've done that on more than one occassion!

Enjoy yourself and practice as much as you can. Let your teacher know about your time restrictions and what you expect. and ESPECIALLY let them know that you are playing the piano for enjoyment, not a professional career! That's what gets some of them, expecting an hour when all you can give is half of that.

Good luck to you and post again soon! smile

"Music can name the unnameable and communicate the unknowable." -Leonard Bernstein
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I play everyday. How much? It depends mostly on my mood and other time constraints such as work or university. I have days when I have an urge to play, and can go for 3 - 4 hours. I have days where I practice around 30 minutes. Mostly I try to do a hour or two, in smaller chunks.

Another thing is how much of this time I am able to spend on very focused practice, and how much on playing for myself - that varies too laugh

M.

Mateusz Papiernik
https://maticomp.net
"One man can make a difference" - Wilton Knight
Kawai CN21 (digital), Henryk Yamayuri Kawai NX-40 (grand)
If you're starting out and aren't sure you can practice for an hour a day, I would say avoid those teachers that demand this. They will know what to listen for, and you will feel defeated.

I have limited concentrative capacity, so 20 min. is a good day; many days often pass with no practice. But I *want* to play, and so I do what I can and "that's OK." smile

"When life gives you a lemonwood Gaveau [piano], make a place for it (or, what is the same thing, find a wealthy foreign collector/enthusiast to sell it to)." --adapted from and inspired by _The Piano Shop on the Left Bank_ by Thad Carhart
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I usually practice between 1 to 2 hours per day.

I think that the amount one 'should' practice really depends on a few things.

- How important it is to you
- How much time you can comfortably manage
- How long you can sit without getting physically uncomfortable (sort back, butt)
- Your family commitments
- Your work commitments
- Your leisure commitments
- How lazy or hard working you are
- How quickly you wish to progress (and the 'price' you are willing to pay for that progress)

I don't think there is any one 'right' answer. The answer, in your case, is unique to you.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
3-6 hours

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I used to practice basically every day, now I'm a university student and I only manage maybe 5-10 hours a week at most.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Theowne- Piano Videos (Ravel, Debussy, etc) & Original Compositions
音楽は楽しいですね。。。
I probably practice 5 days a week

45 mins maybe two days a week and 90 mins per day for another three days.

Mark

I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
about two hours a day and more on the weekends (that s keyboard time, but i take a lot of breaks, i cant seem to sit at the piano for longer than 30 mins ... not sure how effective my practice time is

V
OP Offline
V
How do those of you who practice more than an hour a day manage that? Do you have families? I have 3 small children (and a husband + pets) and if I were to take hours of practice time not much else would get done around here.

Frycek said 3-6 hours! Holy cow! What else do you do?

Valerie
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hi Valerie, My children are now young adults but I remember when they were small. It is hard to find time for uninterrupted concentrated work, which we need for practicing music. My two sons were small when I set up my business as a translator as the sole wage earner and this had to be my priority. The kids and the work had to be first. I got a dishwasher, the floor was not vacuumed every day (gasp!) and sometimes things did not get picked up and put away right away. I created strategies of priorities and how to organize myself. I made lots of stews that simmered themselves into completion and could be reheated over several days. When you add a major thing in your life that will require your time and effort, you cannot always do everything you did before to the same degree.

In your case with three small children, 20 minutes of efficient practice time, where your full concentration goes on what you've been assigned, will give you a lot more than two hours while battling off distractions.

Your husband can be a partner helping you in this by taking some of your household responsibilities IF he can take your piano studies seriously. Family members don't always do so, and sometimes they even dislike the "intrusion" of hearing an instrument being practised. If you can get that support, and above all, take your new endeavour seriously as something important and worthwhile, that would be great.

Best of luck, and enjoy!

KS

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Virginia Mom:

Frycek said 3-6 hours! Holy cow! What else do you do?
I work in anatomic pathology in a hospital laboratory full time. My only child is 24 and currently in charge of reptiles at a pet superstore. To put it succinctly, I have a job and a piano.

Slow down and do it right.
[Linked Image]
Interesting thread. I generally practice/play at least 30 minutes on weekdays/workdays and maybe an hour or two (or longer) on the weekends.

Sometimes before I go to bed at night I’ll plunk out a tune or two. Sometimes when I’m on my way out the door in the mornings headed for work, I’ll stop and hit a quick tune to make my day go well.

Of course, with the kind of music I play, I don’t know if I practice or just noodle around; either way it’s a lot of fun. wink laugh

Take care,

Rickster

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
HI Virginia mom,

I have 2 small children and one big kid (my husband), plus too many pets(cats, dog, horse), so my practice time is dependant on whats going on around me. Usually I try and get in 30mins a day but thats a hit and miss. And sometimes my 4 yr old comes and joins me during my practice so then my practice becomes a playtime thing. I have been playing since april( 5-months into this piano journey). I also try to take a lesson once a week for 1/2 hr. That helps keep me motivated. So I am very happy if I can get a good solid 1/2 hour or so in. But usually I think it averages out to 1/2 a day. Im also a part time librarian at my sons school but thats only like 4-6 hrs per week so I juggle that time too.

But I found that the more I practice the better and more confident I get. But I dont stress if I cant get to my piano everyday. Its a hobby smile not a job. And im not in a hurry. My family comes first. My piano teacher also understands that things can get crazy so she is very understanding if I have to re-schedule a lesson. And my husband is very supportive of my hobbies (piano, and my riding), He doesnt mind listening to me attempting to do my piano lessons over and over again. And im out in the country so I dont have neighbors that complain about the noise either. Its all good here!!!!

So thats what I do smile

AspenX laugh

Yamaha P115 Keyboard
A very old outta tune Baby Grand
A stack of piano music that I cant play !!!
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Va. Mom, I agree with many others here. it depends on how you want to progress, if you want to spend 20 mins a day and thats what you are happy with then go for it. if you want to progress faster then spend more time at the piano. i would definitly not pick a teacher that expects you to practice an hour everyday if that is not what you have in mind or have time for. I say if playing piano is what you want to do and 20 mins will keep ya happy--then go for it. its the love and enjoyment of playing:)

If it ain't fun I ain't doin' it:)
I
I
After I put my kids on the school bus I usually do 2 hours and in the evenings about 1 hour Monday to Friday.

On the weekends I running around with the kids and hubby etc.

Therese

Good, better, best; never let it rest, 'till your good be better and your better - Best!
B
B
I practice between 1 to 2 hours every day.

Sometimes it's not easy because I work full time with a really weird schedule, but always manage to get at least 1 hour.

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
I don't have the time to play everyday, and on the days I do play I often don't get in much more than 20 minutes. If I play as much as an hour it's often in 20 minute slices. Like everyone here, I'm sure if I practiced/played more I'd get more proficient faster, but life is what it is. I enjoy the playing, and if I can't get a really great thing ready for one of our gigs, I cut my losses and play something less great very well. For me, that's the trick. I do what I can do, and I like doing it, and I forgo the regrets at not having time/energy/talent/whatever to be able to do it diferently. And I steadily have more abilities. What more could I want? smile

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
I used to stick religiously to an hour a day, but I moved to 45 minutes about two months ago so I could add in some exercise a few days a week. I do it in three 15 minute segments early a.m., late afternoon, and after dinner. It is no hardship. I can work on something for three minutes while water is boiling, etc. You do what you can. I have three middle school kids, work about 30 hours a week, and do volunteer work. I have several time wasters I could eliminate and do a little more, but this balance is okay for now. I do see a reduction in my progress having moved to 45 minutes, but it's worth the trade off for me.

Nancy

Estonia 168
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission