2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 11 invisible), 1,823 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#1061002 11/22/08 12:04 AM
Originally posted by mom3gram:
"The woods would be a very quiet place if the only birds that sang were the ones that sang best".
Brilliant quote. And so true!

--------------------------
Play New Age Piano
http://www.quiescencemusic.com

#1061003 11/22/08 12:11 AM
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hi Frycek,

It sounds like you’ve got a lot of support here, including the owner of the forum. Are you sure you want to leave such fine friends and co-learners?

Heck, I’m 52 and have never been satisfied with my playing. However, just touching and feeling the piano keys is a form of stress relief and therapy all in itself. thumb

Hang in there, it’ll get better. smile

Take care,

Rickster

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
#1061004 11/22/08 12:14 AM
L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
-Frycek,

You are being harsh on yourself and on us who enjoy your knowledge and your play.

Please reconsider.

Selfishly and sincerely,

Lisztener

#1061005 11/22/08 12:21 AM
D
D
I have read many of your posts here on PWF and as with many others have found them interesting and informative.
It is encouraging that you wish to continuing playing for your own enjoyment, that I believe is why most of us are learning for our own enjoyment.
I too feel your pain I do experience the same frustrations and in my case self doubts.
I really do hope you continue participating in the forum, I have been learning piano for less than a year and look up to the members such as yourself as a form of inspiration to where I want to be.

#1061006 11/22/08 01:03 AM
Frycek

It looks to me that you have alot of friends here who admire you. I have read many of your posts and you are always full of useful and interesting information. There's no doubt in my mind that you have a deep love for music. If I recall you played a Fields Nocturne at one of the recitals. I remember it being quite beautiful. smile

I just finished practicing tonight and I didn't like how I sounded on any of the pieces. Often when stuff like this happens. The next day I will take out the same pieces and practice and I will notice some improvement in my playing.

You know what I think? It sounds to me like you are having a bad day. We all have bad days musically. I betcha even Chopin had his share of bad days musically. wink

Chances are tomorrow will be a better day. I will keep my fingers crossed for you ok? thumb

#1061007 11/22/08 01:12 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
NONSENSE!!! Utter and absolute NONSENSE!!

Frycek,

I don't know you personally, but I feel like I have come to know you (as well as many others) from your participation and contributions to the forum.

I just turned 40 and in my own own eyes I many times feel like I am the epitome of mediocrity (especially concerning guitar and chess). But yet I keep pushing forward. It's like there is something there taunting me, like a dangling carrot, always and infinitely just beyond my grasp. I know I will never obtain it, but it is like the chase is what has me leaning dangerously over the edge, reaching, reaching, with reckless abandon, for the unachievable award.

So for selfish reasons I ask you, please (PLEASE PLEASE [PRETTY PRETTY] PLEASE) continue to grace us with you presence. You are (at least in my eyes) a valuable asset to this online community that has become a very special part of my musical journey and keeps me plunging forward. Not to mention, what type of role model would you be for persons possibly approaching a midlife crisis??

I know this an online forum which provides anonymity and screen names for some to hide behind. But, and not to sound cliche, as many of us wear our hearts on our sleeves in this forum, it really truly brings a sense of a real community.

I have seen this happen on other forums, and never really felt compelled to intervene, but in this case I feel obliged.

So if you must go on hiatus, know you will be missed.

Sincerely,

Rich

#1061008 11/22/08 01:21 AM
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D

#1061009 11/22/08 01:21 AM

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Originally posted by Piano World:
Play for your self first, the rest is secondary.

Enjoy playing the piano because you love playing the piano, not because you are trying to impress anyone else. Believe me, plenty of people are impressed with your playing, but in the end, who cares?

I play for myself first, and then hope I can entertain a few others as well.
Frycek,

I was trying to pick a few good quotes from the many others here who have already responded to you, but it was hard to narrow them down. Everybody else has already made whatever points I could make. But I think Frank here represents most closely my reaction to your post.

I just got back from seeing Einaudi play his music with a skill that brought tears to my eyes, and I realized that I will probably never sound anything as close to as good as he sounds.

But I also realized that it didn't matter, that I *still* liked how I sounded when I played his music, imperfect as it was, and that I got immense satisfaction from just trying to come close to his genius and beauty.

There will always be somebody better than us. That doesn't mean that what we're doing right now is worthless.

Hang in there. smile

#1061010 11/22/08 01:30 AM
Originally posted by -Frycek:
I just had confirmation of something I've suspected for a long time, that I am lacking some fundamental musicality, and that as I'm unlikely to develop it at 55, there doesn't seem to be much point in continuing with piano. I will continue it myself however, in decent privacy, as my solace and release. I have finally recognized my mediocrity and will no longer be taking advantage of the kindness of you all by participation in the ecitals or the discussions. It's just too painful to be on the sidelines without any prospect of participation.
I have come to love many of you and I'll still be out there, maybe, from time to time.
A story (you may not know this, but folks from the South tend to speak in stories, meandering to a point wink )

Not too long ago, I knew a brother and sister, each with a gift of music. The boy played piano a bit, strummed a decent guitar and was session quality on percussion, mostly drumsets.

The girl? Could sing pretty well, could play piano pretty well, could play a flute very well. But she had something her brother lacked...she had ears like a bat, and the ability to immediately know what was wrong with a piece of music...I heard remark as she walked through a room one day where a symphony was playing on tv, "Y'all hear that second clarinet, he's a bit flat."

And she was right. She has the gift to immediately hear a problem in a mixed orchestra and fix it. She has the gift to push and pull musicians as she will, and achieve what she wants.

But she doesn't enjoy music as she should. A good bit of talent, good enough to play at a local symphony level, but hypercritical enough that she's never good enough, she never achieves the perfection she seeks. It frustrates her.

The brother? Different child, different planet. Everybody makes mistakes, music should be fun. One mistake is a screw-up, two are jazz. He lives for the give and take of a band, and the applause of the crowd. It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to be enjoyable.

One rarely plays much...not anymore. The other will always enjoy his music.

The point of the story? Play for yourself, play for enjoyment. Play not for perfection, but play for all the right reasons. Play for life.

The brother and sister? Yeah, I know them fairly well.

I fathered them both....

TNCR. Over 20 years. Over 2,000,000 posts. And a new site...

https://nodebb.the-new-coffee-room.club

Where pianists and others talk about everything. And nothing.
#1061011 11/22/08 01:39 AM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I have accepted the fact that I will be a life long intermediate pianist, and that is okay with me. I, too, think you should give this decision a bit more thought. You are a better player than I. If you should chuck it in, then I probably should, too. I won't, though. I enjoy it too much (most of the time, anyway).

Stick around awhile, and see if you feel differently in a few days. We all get frustrated sometimes, and begin to wonder why we keep trying. Usually, the mood passes, and we carry on. All I am asking is that you take the time to be certain you are making the correct decision. Of course, if you do quit, you may later decide to come back to it like so many others. I came back to the piano. Twice, so far. laugh You have my respect and best wishes whatever you decide.

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

#1061012 11/22/08 01:42 AM
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Originally posted by -Frycek:
[...] there doesn't seem to be much point in continuing with piano. I will continue it myself however, in decent privacy, as my solace and release.
Of course you will continue—it's inevitable, so don't keep it private!

Each of us has a personal relationship with our practice of music, but none of us has to be alone in that. Everything you need is right here, where we teach, learn and share our joy.

I don't know [what else to say] that wouldn't seem trite, or patronizing, or inconsequential. Just know that I'm your friend to be called upon as needed. It's my honor and privilege to repeat those words back to you now.

Steven

#1061013 11/22/08 01:53 AM
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D

#1061014 11/22/08 02:09 AM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Frycek,

I haven't been able to be around here much recently for a variety of reasons, but I saw your post and have to reply. You've had lots of great advice here but the other thing I want to say is please take care of yourself. You sound very down and I hope you can be kind to yourself and get some support. (Just read through this thread a few times!). I get frustrated as well knowing I'll never play at a really high level but that's not the point of music, is it? When you feel ready to share it again I think you've seen we'll all be here . Take care.
Sophia

#1061015 11/22/08 02:12 AM
Dude, remember when I posted ~this~ last night?

I respect the feelings you are having because they seem to make me a better person.

I came to the conclusion I wasn't... ...how did I put it? Yes! That,
In the end I foundered on those rocks. I swore off the piano. I felt like a sham, a fake, and a delusional dilettante. I thought I was embarrassing myself with this silly musical affectation.
I don't know you at all so I must now be speaking to that part of me in you and you in me: I said, regarding musicianship,
The battles we face may not only be the difficulties of mechanics, the vagaries of the intellect's focus, nor prioritization; the foe which slays everyman equally is ardor. We can aim so high, even with the best intentions, that we climb the next biggest hill, to our peril, while Parnassus may be this pleasant plateau.

Ardor, the purely emotional will to be, the desire which burns brightest, is what is common, actually. It keeps mankind locked in the prison that is the paradise of intentions.
As they say to the drunk, the junky, and (as they should) to the artist: I hope you fall. I hope you fall hard. I hope it hurts. I hope it means something this time. Truly, there's not much more time left.

peace

=====================
nil volentibus arduum
=====================
#1061016 11/22/08 04:46 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Frycek, you have contributed so much to this forum! Your knowledge and passion for Chopin seeps through in every post you write. You have taught us all so much, pleeese don't go!

How about taking a break for a few days, or even a month? Re-evaluate things, but remember the wise words from everyone who has posted here so far.

#1061017 11/22/08 05:12 AM
C
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
C
I started playing two months before I turned 18, so I count myself as an adult beginner. No other music before that except a year of bell choir, which, I think, doesn't count for much.

I'm dedicating my recent improvisation to adult learners including Frycek. For me some of what adult learners feel is expressed in this piece. Some anger some frustration (but some beauty hopefully):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h37sLTCAgOk

Semi-pro pianist
Tuesdays 5-8 at Vince's West Sacramento, California
#1061018 11/22/08 05:16 AM
B
B
Frycek,

I usually think: as long as *I* can hear all the weaknesses of my own play (oh, and I do...), then my musicality in my head is larger than I can express. So, there is some potential in the future. If I considered my play as perfect, it would be quite suspicious...

Please keep posting. I like your posts!

#1061019 11/22/08 07:19 AM
P
P
Frycek, if you don't mind, could you tell us what is bothering you that causes you to feel this way?

#1061020 11/22/08 08:05 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Dear Frycek, since returning to the piano last year at the age of 56 I have often felt the way you've expressed. I don't know what - or who - exactly has prompted you to feel as low as you do right now, but please be assured that you're in good company here in the ABF with your frustration!

'Lacking in musicality'.... ah, yes that would be me me too! Except that I know the 'musicality' is in me just as I know - and I feel I know you quite well - it's in you too. Together, we will bring our musicality to the surface - just wait and see if we don't! Our love for the piano and it's repertoire is too great for any other alternative. Let's leave the virtuoso performances to the virtuosos. Our efforts are just as worthy.

and... forget the age thing. It's an advantage! smile

Michael
#1061021 11/22/08 10:15 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hey, I'm pushing 60. No concertos for me, but it is a thrill to make music from a bunch of dots on a page.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission