2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1057428 03/10/06 06:59 AM
Laurens Offline OP
OP Offline
More than a year ago I bought my first keyboard, 8 month ago my digital piano. I have been studying hard (sometimes), but now I get the feeling I'm not getting ahead. Today I got the remark 'Are you still playing THAT!?'.

So I know I shouldnt compare myself to others, and I try not to. I do not have a teacher I can ask, and I know I should but at the moment that is not really an option.

So my question is, what kind of pieces did you play after about a year?

I played Bach's Minuet in G...poorly. You can hear my attempt in the Recital thread. I spent the first 6 months just goofing around and wasn't trying as hard as I did the second 6 months. I just passed the one year mark. I have a teacher and she won't let me work on things that are below my level for very long.

Its very important IMO not to compare yourself to others. We all have different ideas of where we want to get too, and we all progress at different paces. Its important to have fun and enjoy playing. Thats what will keep you at it for a long time.

it all depends on the amount of time you have spent preactising and the thought you have put into your practise.
i know of a teacher that has he's students take lessons everyday, obviously after a year they are well better than the average student after a year.
nevermind the remark that someone made, you arent at the end of your learning curb, you're a the beginning and there's infinite hope for you.
it's always a good thing to evaluate yourself at certain periods, but make it positive, dont critisize yourself to much, make a plan to take yourself forwards. maybe people in the teaching section and this one can aid you.

Maybe someone here can help you if you explain more specifically why are you feeling stuck and if you have certain areas you feel you're stuck at.
Don't give up! You'll definately get passed the dead point!
=)

Attitude is everything.
Laurens Offline OP
OP Offline
Margareth,
very good point, I probably need to explain more, and exploit all the knowledge here.

I can play Bach's Minuet in G, not as fast as I would like to, and it took me at least a week of daily practise. One of the problems I think I have is that I can only play a piece without any mistakes if I memorise it completely (to the point where the fingers 'know' what to do).

Hi !

I have to mention that I have took piano lessons when I was young (8-9 to 12 years old) but I completly quit after that, never touch a piano since then.

I have start again my lessons since september 2004... My teacher make me do the program of the music conservatory so I have to learn 5 pieces every year with a amount of scales, solfege etc.

So last september (1 year after I start my piano lessons) I have start to work on these pieces (some of them are finish but I keep playing them just to remember it correctly for my exam on next may) So here is my program :

A) Duvernoy Study (not one specificly : we change every 2-3 weeks)
B) Bach Prelude no.6 E minor BWV 938
C) Diabelli Sonata op. 151 no.1 (still working on the third movement but the first and second movement are ok)
D) Chopin Prelude Op. 28 no.20 (this one is ok so I have started to work on Schumann Scenes from Childhood Op.15 no.1 to change a little)
E) Debussy Little Negro

So this is what I play at this moment and I it's been a year and a half that I have started my lessons. Buy like I say : I have already study piano when I was young so I have already a "background"...

♪ Louise ♪
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Ive seriously been practising for only a year too but have already touched a keyboard and pianos in the past. But not really with hands together like I am doing now. I learnt to read music from classical guitar.
Although I touched on some pieces like the Minuet in G and others, I dropped them for my present repertoire.

1- Brahm's Waltz Op.39 no.3
2- Mozart's Rondo from Sonata K533
3- Chopin's Waltz Op.69 no.1 & 2
4- Lizt transcription of Chopin's Spring Op.72 I think.
5- Enya's Watermark
6- Yiruma's Water Flows in You

I am trying to keep all these ones memorized before moving on. But I know too well that I will hear another piece I will want to play it.

I do not take lessons but read a lot on the subject and am a fast learner.

Peter

Ok..Ok... If you don't want your Steinway give it to me !!!!
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Laurens, I've been playing for a year. No teacher either. If there is music I want to play then I just find some sheet music and go for it. I don't know what type of music you like, but you can find sheet music that you can play for any types of music. I have a number of "easy" books, from classical to new age to pop to country. If I like something I try to play it. It's very hard to compare yourself with anyone else. I just know that I am enjoying what I play even if it is "easy" stuff for now!

When I reach the place I'm going, I will surely know my way.
Laurens Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for all the replies. I don't know if I should be encouraged or discouraged smile . But I'm still having fun, just wondering if I should change something in the way I practise. I know I shouldnt compare..

Do you study several pieces at the same time or one by one? I tend to do the latter, a bit like playing video games: one more try to see if I beat the high score (=playing it with less mistakes)

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Laurens, as I said on another thread, I should probably be the <s> poster boy </s> ...ummm...poster old guy..for why not to teach yourself the piano. I am sure people would be horrified at what I do!! Anyway, I am always working on numerous pieces. I'd give up the piano if I had to spend time on just one piece at a time. I really don't even practice. I just play. laugh

When I reach the place I'm going, I will surely know my way.
Laurens:

This is my second run at the piano.
The first time, I had a digital keyboard without weighted keys, and just a few lessions before I took off on my own.

This time I have a good accoustic piano, and I realise there are many things I just don't know,
things a good teacher could see right away.
I also have learned (the hard way) my way is usually not the best...Yes, I need direction!!!

Since a teacher is not an option for you, do you know a friend who plays?
Even as little as 30 min every other week, with someone who's been there,can make a big difference.

As for your progress...ask yourself who you're playing for, you or someone else.
If you are playing for yourself, the opinions of others shouldent matter, you're not playing for them!

If the music is happening, smile , relax, and enjoy the ride.

LeadFingers

"The Oxen are slow, but the Earth is patient" Chuen
I practice all pieces at the same time... Of cours it can take several weeks before I can play the piece ok.

&#9834; Louise &#9834;

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission