2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 36251, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 8 invisible), 1,401 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
"she is a beautiful young woman...she resembles her paternal grandfather."

Lisztener: does that mean you resemble a beautiful young women?....hmmm!.

Anyway, congrats on having such a motivated, successful grandchild. It must feel really good to be that proud of someone; especially when they earned it.

T
T
Well my MLB tour is pretty much over. I return in the morning. KC and Oakland have older stadiums, but good atmosphere and loyal fans. Colorado and San Diego have unbelievably beautiful stadiums. It's an event to go to any game at these two venues. Needless to say we got agreements from KC and Oakland. That's OK, we just tripled the number of teams we work with! And the other teams haven't decided yet, so we still have a chance.

Unfortunately the next few months will be less playing piano and more working. But hopefully my Bosie savings fund will benefit.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Congratulations on your granddaughter's acceptance at Notre Dame, Lisztener. Notre Dame is a tough nut to crack, and a scholarship is even harder. thumb

TLuvva, bet you're glad to be back at home and not sitting endlessly in airport terminals. But how about making it "the next few months will be less yardwork and house-cleaning" rather than "less playing piano"? wink

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Colin, sorry things didnt work out with your house, but everything happens for a reason, and hey you got some money out of it:)

listzener, glad to hear about your granddaughter, that is great news!!!

now i have a little story of my own if anyone wants to listen:) ok, you have all heard about my wonderful neighbors, well here is another interesting story about them:) we had these old ladies living behind us and they didnt clean much because they were so old. well they ended up moving because they said they had roaches. i was like oh, we dont have any. so they moved out on friday, and on sat. they had their house bombed(for the roaches) i spent the better part of my weekend battling the little bastards because they came to my house. to make a long story short, i went to sit at my piano on saturday and a freaking roach came right up out of my keys!!!! holy smokes i never jumped so high and scream so loud in my life. so now i am scared they have overtaken my house and piano. so the battle begins!!! i went out and bought 6 cans of bombs to kill the little bastards, and walah, they are gone, but since i had the piano covered, i worried that maybe my piano would be where they would all go. so i goto my lesson on weds. and i asked my teacher how to take the action out she told me but advised me against it but to call my tech, i said ah shucks i can do this. so i get home from my lesson and get a bite to eat, and then goto my piano to see if i can tear it apart. a few minutes later i had the action out, and not one roach in sight, but i did find some spaghetti on my hammers from when my son threw spaghetti in the fan a few months ago, so i get that off and decided you know my piano really needs to be voiced but i dont have the tools, hmmm, so i proceed to get my vacuum cleaner to see if i vacuum the dust and maybe that will pull the felt out a little on the hammers. sooo, i vacuumed a vacuumed, and totally cleaned my piano inside and out. put the action back in and put the piano back together, and waalah, my piano sings as i have never heard it before!!! yippie!!! and not a better time because i have been trying to practice more and now it sounds so beautiful i love to play it so i have been playing for most of the morning:) yippie!!! now i need to get back to the piano now. oh and ah i wouldnt recommend this method, as its not right way to do things, it just happend to work for me:) oh and all the little buggers are gone now thumb

If it ain't fun I ain't doin' it:)

funburger, you need to move to a deserted island where there are no neighbors. laugh

What a story. But there's no way I would take out my own action and vacuum the hammers. eek

Van Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
lol, funburger, I love your stories.

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I mentioned this in the recital thread. I guess I should have put it here.

I finally got the pilots license today. I think this came up one time with S-H, I forget why.

S-H did you say you had the PPL? Maybe it came up because Monica said that she used to fly with her father or grandfather.

Anyway the weather finally cleared up enough to squeeze in the check ride. So, to answer gerg’s question, now I’m set free to fly the Cessna 172 – a small 4 seat airplane that can hold about 3.2 normal size people.

So this is my excuse for having a recital that was a little klunky. But the klunks don’t matter I still enjoy the recital.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Congratulations, Copper! Yes, it is my dad who has a license (I think it's just VFR). He is about 75 right now, though, so I am a little nervous about him continuing to fly. (He totalled his plane last fall on a hard landing and had to go through an FAA re-evaluation. Darn it, they gave him his license back... :rolleyes: )

I know it is corny but I really like that poem by Gillespie Magee. I am sure you've seen it:

High Flight

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds - and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air.
Up, up the long delirious, burning blue,
I've topped the windswept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or even eagle flew -
And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod
The high untresspassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand and touched the face of God.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I'd love to get a pilots license; flying is sooo much fun! But dang it, I can only have two dozen hobbies and no more. frown

J
J
Hi Copper,

Congratulations on obtaining your pilot's license. I had mine many, many years ago. I can assure you it will be a lot of fun. The next step is to get your night rating. You will never regret it.

I flew Cessna 152 and 172 as well a Piper Cherokee. I have many stories of "adventures" when the weather turned on us etc. I do not fly anymore because, at my age, I have to go through medical each year and in order not to go up with an instructor I have to fly once every month. So I am content to fly airliners with the flight simulator on the computer.

Have fun.
Joe

Be happy while there is still time.
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Copper:

Super-huge congratulations on obtaining your VFR rating. There are less than .001% of the people on the planet who have gotten there pilots liscense and you should feel very priveledged to be one of them.

As I mentioned before, I had taken flying lessons 20 years ago when I was in my early 20's but have only logged 9 hours since the cost of this hobby was just too much for a college student at the time.

Your very first solo flight will probably be the biggest testament of your confidense in yourself you will ever face in your entire life. Many people do not have this confidense in their abilities and thus will never fly.

I am very proud of you to have accomplished this goal and hope that you continue with this activity is a safe manner.

My sister owns a Mooney (200mph prop plane) but I cannot fly it since I never stayed current with my flying and would have to start almost from the begining again due to the gap in my logged flights.

Maybe you could post up a pic of you taking off and waving or something some time as that would be kinda neat.

BTW, stay clear of ultra-light aircraft (ballistic parachute or not), they are death on a stick!.

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Oh yea, one more thing. From now on, you will "officially" be addressed on this forum as "Captain Copper"! thumb

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Please read this for your own protection. I am a victim of a scam, and others need to know about it.
Right now I am steamed. Furious and need to vent. I just received my phone bill from Verizon, and included is a charge for $7.41. The explanation for this is that Verizon is billing me "as a service to OAN Service Inc." OAN claims I had used their service to dial some number I never heard of --101-515-8000, at 12:53PM on May 7. Rediculous, I never heard of OAN, certainly never dialed that number,and furthermore, I am sound asleep at 12:53--not making calls to some unknown number.

There is also a note on the Verizon bill to call OAN if I have any questions, and Verizon also gave me OAN's website. It is www.oanweb.com.

I checked it out, and found that it is a scam. There is no OAN. It is a fake company set up to scam people.

This has been going on for years. I was flabergasted to see all the websites with posts from irate people who have been victimized.

It seems that the phone companies know it is a scam, yet continue to bill innocent people. Even worse. The FCC has done nothing to stop this fraudulent practice.

Google the www.oanweb.com and you will see for yourself what a nefarious practice this is.

But most of all, check your phone bills including your cellular phones to make sure that you are not one of their victims. I am getting off cheap. Some people have been charged $50 and even more.

I am contacting the fraud division of Oregon Attorney General's office to report this.

One of my friends was bilked of $45.00. She tried to fight it but got nowhere. Her phone company merely shrugged it off and told her she would have to take it up with OAN. She was on hold, then disconnected redialed,was put on hold, then disconnected. When she finally reached a live person, she was told that she had used their services, owed them the money. End of discussion. They hung up on her. Gaby Tu

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
To get to the site that I am talking about, use google, or your favorite search engine. If you click on the one highlighted above, you will not get to the one that bilked me. It seems that there are two OAN'S, and the one that is the fraud is the one I am talking about. So use google or your search engine and up will pop all the sites of people who have been fighting them for years. Gaby tu

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Gabytu, thanks for sharing this info on the oan stuff, but to be honest i am scared just to goto the website because they might be charging for just clicking on their website??? or they can get into your computer or viruses etc. i think i will just steer clear of them:) thank-you for sharing, and hope it all gets straightened out. and thank-you for the warning. i hate scammers!!!

Copper i meant to say this earlier, but congratulations!!! and super hunkys right captain copper fights you to a tee!!!

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Funburger, If you google the site you will not be going to OAN's website. What will pop up wil be be dozens of sites filled with posts from people all complaining about the scam. The OAN I am talking about does not exist---even though Verizon lists a website for them.

What is mind boggling is that the phone companies know it is a scam, yet continue to bill people for these bogus charges. This fake company accesses you through your phone. Gaby Tu

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Good news. Update on scam. To begin at the beginning. I phoned OAN, and after being put on hold for about 20 minutes, got an automated voice telling me that due to technical difficulties they were not accepting any calls.

I then called Verizon, got a live person, explained the situation to her, and to my absolute delight, she told me that they were removing the charges. Whew. What a relief.

I am one of the lucky ones, as Verizon did not give me a hassle. However, I understand that other phone compainies (Quest for example), are not so obliging.

Thanks everyone for allowing me to let off steam about this situation

Now back to the piano for some real practice. Lost too much time fretting over this. Gaby Tu

I was worried about the point fest, and it was all for nothing. They had so much fun!!! I did too!! Im going every year, the Killers were great, so was was Wolf mother! My daughter made a slide show its on utube, Ill send the urls oncce she returns from Ohio. Steve

Have a nice day
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
zoso, glad you had a great time!! cant wait to see some video!!! the wolf mother??? hahahahahahahahahahhaa!!! you have been biten!!!hehehehehehe.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I think I saw Wolfmother once, but I don't remember any of it. smile So... did you mosh/crowd surf/stage dive? laugh

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission