2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, 6 invisible), 1,307 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1056800 08/12/07 09:31 AM
Z
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Z
I have been trawling the net for a fingering chart I can stick on the wall above my piano. I am just starting out and I want something I can glance and check - all on one page.
If I knew the correct fingerings i would write one out - but I am not sure, are there more than one "standard" fingerings for the twelve majors? I suppose that the harmonic minors are the same starting a m3 down? The melodic's similar?
Anyone have a source?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Fingering for all of the scales is in Hanon, Part II, starting with Exercise 39:

Hanon

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get, only what you are expecting to give, which is everything. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Alfred's Complete Book of Scales, Chords, Arpeggios & Cadences is an excellent resource.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
James Francis Cooke's compilation of history of scales, formation, classification, etc., with fingering of course, is one of the best, if not the best. Mastering the Scales and Arpeggios, published by Theodore Presser in Philadelphia (Bryn Mawr).

B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
TA-DAH!

For black keys: Think of using RH 2-3 (LH 3-2) on the groups of two black notes AND RH 2-3-4 (LH 4-3-2) will get you where you are going.
The fingering for C Major Scale transfers to several other keys - G,D,A,E, (RH) B same RH B starts with 4.

If you look at the two black notes there are 3 white keys in front (RH 1-2-3) look at the three black keys with 4 white keys in front (RH 1-2-3-4) Easy?

Then to find LH fingering for hands together: Go to Middle C with both thumbs on C, and let the RH lead the fingering choices for the LH as the RH ascends and the LH ascends from Middle C to the next octave (in opposite directions).

When you put the hands into parallel motion as in a scale, you use the ascending fingering for both hands (LH 5-4-3-2-1-3-2-1) with (LH 1-2-3-1-2-3-4-5) and vice versa.

A double check you can make for correctness is that the 3's will be playing at the same time in both hands.

By all means go slowly to learn this.

You could figure this out yourself for all fingering, actually, if you wanted to take the time. Then you would really own it.

I think charts are useful, but I think it's better known and understood - "Why?"

Let me know if you try it, and how you did. I accept PM's if you have a question.

Good luck!

Z
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Z
thanks betty will look into this, what I am looking for is some kind of downloadable thing for a quick check, anyone?

If not I shall write something out in a score package - this will probalby do me good wink

Hi, I created this (so there are no copyright infringements) & posted it a while back & it's helped me immensely. Hope you like it! Candi

http://www.box.net/files#0f7180891

horses, flute & piano - what's life without 'em?
Z
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Z
Candi - I could not get this file. I even tried registering but I just get a loading menu with no load

Zero

I'm sorry; I'm new at box.net file sharing. When I go to the site, I get linked right up. Try this - I posted it a few months ago & it worked for others. If it doesn't, let me know & I can just email you the PDF.

Candi

http://www.box.net/shared/78kx57heka

horses, flute & piano - what's life without 'em?
Z
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Z
Thanks for your efforts Candi, I got it now, though I was looking for a fingering chart, rather than note names - even so its kind of yoy to take the effort

Zero

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Not sure if I should make this a new thread. I found this site in December. Through some link somewhere here I found a dowloadable copy of James Cooke's "Mastering Scales and Arpeggios" - I'm sure it was a purchased download. My hard drive died a few weeks ago and I lost everything I had stored on it. I want to get Cooke's book again but I can't find it. There are plenty of hard copy books available, but I found it convenient having it sitting in the computer and only printing out the pages that I need at the time. I have so much music lying around as it is.

Would anyone know where i might have found it two months ago?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by keystring:
Not sure if I should make this a new thread. I found this site in December. Through some link somewhere here I found a dowloadable copy of James Cooke's "Mastering Scales and Arpeggios" - I'm sure it was a purchased download. My hard drive died a few weeks ago and I lost everything I had stored on it. I want to get Cooke's book again but I can't find it. There are plenty of hard copy books available, but I found it convenient having it sitting in the computer and only printing out the pages that I need at the time. I have so much music lying around as it is.

Would anyone know where i might have found it two months ago?
Here's the thread with the link for Cooke's book:

Mastering Scales and Arpeggios

Mel

"Love has nothing to do with what you are expecting to get, only what you are expecting to give, which is everything. You give because you love and cannot help giving." Katharine Hepburn
Dannylux,

Thank you!!!!!

whome

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Hey Dannylux - somehow I missed this first time around...

What a great resource. I just spent my AM practicing time reading the foreward.

Thanks, Mel. Off to Office Depot to buy some quality paper.....

"There is nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself." Johann Sebastian Bach/Gyro
It is an extremely rich, thorough, and comprehensive resource and guide. It was a real loss when it disappeared along with my hard drive. Each step seems to prepare for something. Preparing the thumb ahead of doing a full scale, and then the radiating exercises in preparation for multi-octave scales ... priceless.

Why is it that in comparison to the old books, the modern ones seem empty of substance and trying to do the work for the student?

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission