2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, 12 invisible), 1,972 guests, and 331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Z
zongora Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Hi all,

I guess it’s about time for another one of my “My Photos of” series. I have previously posted them on the “Pianist’s Corner” and “Piano Forum”, but I think this time I’ll enter it on what Apple calls “The Goodest Forum”. What the heck -- I’m not a pro and I’m certainly an adult, so I feel it’s O.K. here.

One of the truly great pianists of the 20th Century and also one of my favorite was the Brazilian born Guiomar Novaes. She was born in Sao Joao Boa Vista February 28, 1895 and died also in Brazil in 1979.

I had the pleasure of not only seeing her, but speaking and photographing her at a rehearsal in the Lewissohn Stadium in New York way back on June 26, 1958. She was performing the Schumann a minor with the also famous Alexander Smallens.

I recently heard a recording of her (not the first time) of the Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No 10. Nothing like I’ve ever heard before with her pedaling overtones. Anyone who likes this piece I recommend should listen to it.

You can read about her here. ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/rpassarj/guiomar.html

Scroll down to “Her Repertoire” and click to see the extraordinary one that she had. I found it extremely interesting as there were so many composers and pieces that I never heard of. Would be kind of fun to investigate some.

She was married to the Brazilian Architect but better known composer Octavio Pinto. She asked me to photograph her and was kind enough to autograph one of her and myself together with a personal note, and when she did, she signed it “Guiomar Novaes Pinto”.

A wonderful artist and lady of whom I have the utmost praise and respect. One of the nicest of all the artists that I’ve encountered.

Here are a few of the many, many shots I took that day.

Here Mme. Novaes and Smallens in an obvious pose for me.

[img]http://publish.hometown.aol.com/genem825/myhomepage/novaes%20no.4.jpg?mtbrand=AOL_US[/img]

Two of the many shots I took of Novaes.

[img]http://publish.hometown.aol.com/genem825/myhomepage/novaes%20no.7.jpg?mtbrand=AOL_US[/img]

[img]http://publish.hometown.aol.com/genem825/myhomepage/novaes%20no.9.jpg?mtbrand=AOL_US[/img]

Handed the camera to someone during conversation and told him to fire away.

[img]http://publish.hometown.aol.com/genem825/myhomepage/novaes%20no.13.jpg?mtbrand=AOL_US[/img]

[img]http://publish.hometown.aol.com/genem825/myhomepage/novaes%20no.16.jpg?mtbrand=AOL_US[/img]

A portion of a quote by Mme. Novaes that I like very much from “Great Men and Famous Musicians on The Art of Music” by James Frances Cooke.

“He who would enter the sacred temple of art must keep his soul pure. The child from his very first steps in art should be made to realize that he is a missionary and not a mercenary. Real art is a devotion, not a financial expediency”.

God Bless this great lady.

Thanks for viewing my post.

Zongora

P.S. Apple -- Lots of luck with your new teacher. I’m certain from what I read with your enthusiasm and “addiction” you’ll have your two etudes expanded to twenty four, plus the Trois in no time.

P.P.S. If anyone is interested in Abbey Simon, I posted a few old flyers and an interesting program on him from Carnegie Hall in the “Pianist’s Corner” . It’s in a reply to the “Master Class with Abbey Simon” thread a few days ago.

Note:
These photos are protected by the copyright law and must not be reproduced.
COPR.ZONGORA

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
what a lovely post. I quickly clinked on her link... Her music still playing.. How delightful.

Zongora... why did you take all your photographs. Were you a paid photographer?

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
Z
zongora Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Apple,

No, I was not a paid photographer and have never accepted any payment from Novaes or anyone else. The photos were given to her by myself and in return she thanked me with a personal autograph on one of them.

The reason I took all these photos and others is because my greatest joy is music, and every form of art I do or ever did, whether it be painting, sculpture, photography or just plain reading is related to it. I don't do any of these things for money.

Of course I painted, sculptured and photographed other subjects as well, but music always seemed to stick it’s nose in and take precedence.

Thanks for your kind words.

Zongora

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Zongora,

If I've read your post correctly, that would be you standing next to the piano listening/watching Mme. Novaes at the piano. (??)

Besides the fact that you are tall, dark and handsome, how were you able to be backstage with the featured performer?

If I come off sounding a bit nosey, I'm truly not trying to be. Just curious as to how you were so fortunate to have been photographed and have what appears a private session with the guest performer.

Oh well, for whatever reason, it's not necessary to explain. I do find your posts intriguing and appreciate your willingness to share any stories.

Thanks for the direction over to the Abbey Simon thread. Enjoyed that one, too!

Terry

Z
zongora Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Terry,

It was one of the many rehearsals I used to attend way back then, and she was just a very lovely, obliging person to everyone. Besides, as I have mentioned above, she asked me to take the shots. It was after everyone cleared out.

However, they weren't all that way. Many were very private and you couldn't get near them.

Thanks for the reply.

Zongora

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Zongora,

Thanks for sharing these photos. I really like seeing them. Maybe they should have their space on Piano World...

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that
we are to stand by the president right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public."-- Theodore Roosevelt
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Zongora,

yes, thank you so much. I've always had great affection for Novaes and her musicality. I only wish all of her recordings were made available.

Ken

Zongora,

Thanks for the post and photos. I really enjoyed them all. I was just speaking of you, not by name of course, on another website I frequent.
A member was trying to take a picture of a famous violinist at open rehearsal and he said a man in a tuxedo rushed over and told him he wasn't allowed to take photos.
I told him about your photos and we also wondered how you got all those photos. I thought maybe the rules weren't so strict when you were taking your photos, as they are now.
Anyway, thanks again.

pdolce cool

But, I played it perfectly at home!!
Z
zongora Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
pdolce,

You are absolutely correct in saying that rules back then weren't what they are today. Just a few years later I stopped taking them because I started to get a hard time from ushers, etc.

However, even back then it was up to the particular soloist. Most were very friendly and never said anything, letting you take as many as you wanted to without paying any attention to you. Some even enjoyed it. Like I said in the post, Mme. Novaes even asked me to. These were all the good guys.

AND THEN -- There were some that absolutely forbid it. A few were so private, you had to remain half way back in the stadium, and couldn't get anywhere near them. I've seen a few even being less than polite with another photographer who used to frequent the place.

I guess dem dar days are gone forever. Hey -- this was close to 50 years ago, and some even more.

Thanks for your reply.

Zongora

Zongora,

Ah yes, the good old days are gone. Tis a shame.
Thanks for your reply to my reply. wink

pdolce cool

But, I played it perfectly at home!!

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission