2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (bcalvanese, 1957, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 36251, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, 8 invisible), 1,401 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
hmmm...super-hunky, for an easy going guy you sure have your bursts of self-criticism!

As for me, my goal is to one day play as good as your "lame fakebook crap" eek , which I want to stress is definitely NOT lame and NOT crap!! I still play your "Lake Erie Rainfall" nearly every day as I gnash my teeth at my inability to get my own rendition of it up to anything approaching the proper tempo.

...say, do you think if I bought a Roland KR-7 that I'd be able to play like you guys, too? whome

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Balladeer,

I imagined myself sitting in the audience watching you on stage. cool I love all those extras you do with the song. You played this so well.

Phantom of the Opera - Magnificent!

Sharon

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Mr. S-H.

I think your rendition of Maria sounded really nice. You're really good...and always improving... and you may have better ideas now of the fuller sound you're after.

Gee whiz - I better go practice now.

Sharon smile

BTW: This place continues to inspire.

B
B
Hi Sharon, IrishMak and Mr Super Hunky...

Sharon, I am imagining you on the stage the way you are progressing! Thanks.

Mak, very glad you enjoyed it - I'm sure that in due time you will make songs your own too. Just experiment and go with your gut. What's the worst that can happen!

Now, Mr S-H - you are cracking me up with these posts!! Hey, and the coincidences are becoming scary! Roland KR-7 ... the thing nearly plays itself!! wink As for the Mason, this saddens me more than I can say. I am just a little Kansas farm boy in the middle of about 2 million acres of wheat. I only get to come in from the fields occasionally to take a spin on the Roland. As far as digitals go I think it is unparalleled, but my heart cries for an acoustic... oh, my how it cries! I have gone into the city and shopped for pianos the last year or so. Just any old piano isn't going to do... but the Masons and Steinways I have had my hands on would do nicely! laugh I played on a Mason last week which had one of those big "wagon-wheel" devices under it which keeps tension where it should be. The tone was as warm as butter. I'm not normally jealous, but I might make an exception here wink When I grow up, I'm gonna have one of those things!

Your description of what you want to do with your music (and will do) defines an artist as opposed to a performer. There are many great performers. I will never be one. I do think, however, that I can develop into a decent artist. I also think that is where you are headed. You mentioned that you want to "bring a tear to the eye" of the listener .... I want to rip their hearts out - but oh so gently! cool

Forget the 'gay thing' (shhess!) - in my estimation a man's real strength can be measured by his capacity to feel - and to express those feeling thru your piano music is, to me, the pinnacle of achievement. When I first began to play I knew that I wanted to play with power, passion, and poignancy - that is still the goal, and always will be. For me , there is no other reason to play. From your posts, I get the feeling you are in the same mindset.

Now as for your so called "hokey-homemade method" .. it's pretty darned slick if you ask me - and you have already used it to produce some very sweet music. I obviously don't have the answers to all this stuff, but I've got some thoughts and ideas I will share here and maybe we can kick them around.

The place where you and I want to go is not going to be reached by directly applying any method. The chosen method is only the vehicle which will lead to the freedom required to play in this manner. The freedom is the key - freedom from the constraints of reading - freedom from the constraints of thinking specifically about the notes and the chords. I think when a player truly lays his or her heart out there it is usually because he or she has reached a point in playing where the conscious thought process is minimal...

Brother ... this is getting way deep - sorry! eek Anyway, I think you get the message. So while you're in hybernation (shess again!) give a little thought to how you might free yourself up a little more.. (and when you figure that out, let me know so I can be more free too!)

The written music (or lead sheets) are a bit of a sticky issue. I will still use them on occasion when initially working on a tune I don't know well, but I get away from them as soon as I can. It used to be a memory thing, and is slowing evolving into a feel thing and and ear thing. Trying to work out a few tunes you do already know without any written aid might surprise you. You might give that a shot while you're in the "tunnel!"

This is all about inspiring each other. That is why I am already enjoying this forum immensely. All the folks seem helpful - and happy to be helpful - not to mention talented! I am inspired by all the participants and only hope that I can contribute to what you have going here.

Balladeer

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
it's 12:30 a.m right now,and boy what a day I had!

What a very nice post Baladeer. This is what its all about!!

I'll talk more in the morning....I'm bushed!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Euan

I have just listened to both recordings the only thing wrong with them is they are too short!! wink

Boy, you left me wanting more

Simply beautiful

If you could just cure that hiss I'd listen to them in my car laugh

regards

Lee

Twitter: @Seaside_Lee
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Thanks, Seaside.

The problem is - the pieces are short to begin with, so unless I start improvising (which ain't gonna happen smile ), then they have to be short.

Am currently addressing the issue of backround hiss / interference.

I tried downloading samples of programs that claim to reduce hiss, but although they did to a certain extent, the quality of the piano sound fell badly.

Bob Muir mentioned running the laptop on battery - unfortunately my laptop is stone-age, and refuses to charge the battery, so mains is the only option (I refuse to pay $60 for a new battery when the computer itself is worth less)

So am thinking the best thing may be to dismantle and carry the piano upstairs, to a full-size PC on 'recording days'. Will that help to reduce backround noise? What do all the digital piano players do? I will get the option of plugging direct into the soundcard, hopefully that will help (although I'm worried about 'fan noise')

Balladeer,

I would like to know if Mike teaches how to make the improvisations I hear in your playing or is it something you worked out on your own, or derived from others on the Pianomagic forum.

Basically my question boils down to the extent, beyond basic melody and chord in the base, that is taught in the method. Does he actually give you techniques to add chord progressions during the dead spaces when the melody is not moving. Does he tell you what chord progesssions work and why? Does the method teach you how to add to basic chords with color tones and what color tones work and don't work.

IJGpiano
B
B
Hi, Jerry..

Some mighty big questions ... and the answers will probably surprise you.

There are no improvisations in the piece you just heard! In fact, I have played this piece using only 5 chords all the way to the finish. (For a more dramatic ending, I did raise the key a couple of times, but the entire piece is essentially just a few chords). What listeners hear as improvisations are nothing more than decorations based on the chords I am playing.... and this is the most critial point... Because I have learned from PM how the music thinks and what it is likely to do next, I have freed up the brainpower needed to focus on expressing myself through these decorations Granted, I have a long way to go, but, I think I am making progress. I also think anyone can do this.

Regarding chord progressions, Mike teaches you how to understand them and why they go where they go. Once you understand that then you do not need Mike or anyone else to tell you how to proceed - you will know . Then - and only then - can you make the music your own.

Remember, I am just a beginning student. Mike would be the one to go into greater detail. He would be glad to talk to you or anyone else.

Balladeer

T
T
Well I'm going to take some time today and listen to the pieces already posted in here, and add one of my own.

I've been refining this piece for the past week or so - I was playing it way too slow and not smooth enough in certain parts before.

Chopin\'s Prelude in E Minor

B
B
Hi, Tomas ...

Chopin's nocturnes, and a few of his other works - including this one - are among my classical favorites.

You played this very evenly and I thoroughly enjoyed it! Thanks.

Balladeer

T
T
Wow, very nice touch S-H. Both pieces sound beautiful, natural, flowing.

Euan, I like the sound of both pieces very much. Watching Lara sounds flawless. Excellent.

The Fur Elise sounds nice Schmoe, it flows and you have the crescendo's down very well. Smooth out some of the transitions and it'll be perfect. Moonlight sounds very musical, especially considering where you're at with it. It must be very rewarding to have such a long and challenging piece down well like that.

Balladeer - Wow. Very nice. You must have a finely tuned sense of timing. It really sounds perfect.

T
T
I'm glad you enjoyed this one Balladeer.

And you've read my mind with Chopin's preludes and nocturnes - I began working on B Minor a few days ago and would like to do his Posthoumus nocturne after that if I'm capable.

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Tomas, I just downloaded and listened to your song. Once again, I think your playing is just amazing, especially for how short a time you have been playing.

you are in total control over the tempo and speed of the music. You remind me a lot of Rocky who also has great timing, control and has not been playing that long.

Now tomas...come clean. Have you REALLY only been playing two months? Your skill level seems WAY more advanced than that! Also, I see you are playing a Bosendorfer....hmm not exactly a "beginer" piano!!

Don't take my "prying" the wrong way tomas, I'm just asking what everyone else is probably thinking! If you really have only been playing for 2-months, you are an absolutely gifted talent that should pursue a career in music.

I am not doubting you, I'm really just amazed at your talent level. Besides, most people don't take the things I say seriously anyway!!

wink

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
This is my offering at the "Piano Bar" (this month). It was recorded after one month with PMMO. Before that, I never really played piano.

The song is Amazing Grace.

(quickly - I am now with PMMO 5 months...)

Sharon..... smile

File uploaded and reachable from the following project:
http://www.savefile.com/projects/810283

If you want to link directly to the file:
http://www.savefile.com/files/7256013

4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Hi sharon;

I just listened to both of your song versions and I can definitely hear your improvement.

your bass (left hand) is nicely complimenting your right hand melody together. you should keep updated copies around to hear your progress every few months or so as this is the best inscentive of all.

BTW, for some reason, on my computer speakers, your song sounds like it is being played on a harpsichord. This is one of my favorite instruments as it has a certain unique sound to it. I'm probably guessing however that you are not playing one.

I wonder if its something in my speakers or just the way its recorded. Its a very beutifull sound but much different than some of the others I've heard.... Just wondering!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yes, that's what I play - a harpsicord. NOT :t: (Like Lurch on the Addams Family). :p

1. I am very, very glad you were able to hear it.

2. It's definitely played on a piano Casio PX100 (for the time being).

3. It's a midi file.

4. I would prefer sending Mp3 (like you guys do) but don't know how right now.

5. Thank you very much for the nice compliments.... yes, I agree there is improvement... in fact... i was told that the short arps weren't exactly right... and have since fixed that problem.

Thanks, man.... very, very, very cool! laugh

Sharon

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi Hunkster and everyone

Okay I've been locked away in the tallest tower at Seaside Towers for oooh lets see?.... an hour! ha

and I've come up with these 2 for you Mr S-H

Since listening to the classical pieces in the recital I've been watching ClassicFM TV and there is this violin version of this song which I like a lot

So No1 is:-

A Time For Us (Love Theme From Romeo & Juliet) in Seaside Minor (LOL)

http://www.savefile.com/files.php?fid=7118690

and No2 is:-

Georgia On My Mind

http://www.savefile.com/files.php?fid=9945150

As Balladeer would say "you may find them interesting" (LOL) (now if I could just play like him too wink )

regards

Lee

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I am so disappointed.I love A.L. Webber music and the file wouldn't fly to my computer and sing to me. It sounds like it is a very good recording Balladeer made from the comments I am reading here. My computer is a dinosaur. I need to get a faster computer soon. My favorite A.L. W. tune is "Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again". I usually play and sing that one for Memorial Day gigs.

*Can someone convert that "Phatom" file by Balladeer file to a file like Mr. Superhunky is using, or post it in another place I can access it. Or send it to me privately. I reallllllllly want to hear it. bah

My old and very slow computer doesn't seem to let me hear anything posted at savefile.com. That website has so many pop ups ads that everything comes to a halt whenever I try to download anything there. Mr. Super Hunkys files come up fairly quicky with the good old Windows player. But at savefile.com the files the Phantom song file or a player that plays it never came up, and froze up my screen to the point I gave up. I tried loading with the pop up stopper both on and off... no sucess.

I have no problem opening Mr. Super_Hunky's recordings. I enjoyed hearing them.

I will have to get a nice stage digital that will allow me to do recordings too. I am envious of the fun you guys are having sharing your music recordings.

But I think I will also need a better computer down the road also that won't choke on big files, numerous slow loading pop up windows. And eventually need to get broadband (my computer system cannot do braodband without an expensive upgrade).

*BTW anyone working on that "Learn to be Lonely" song from the Phantome of the Opera movie? Lovely song, I am looking for the sheet music for that one. It is a lovely solo for a vocalist.

Originally posted by Balladeer:
I think I have figured out how to to post this song (with a little help from my friends).... we'll see..

This is my interpretation of the "Phantom of the Opera" It may not be exactly what you are used to hearing, but some of you may find it interesting. I find Lloyd Webber songs to be very expressive, and when I grow up I would like to be able to deliver that expression.
http://www.savefile.com/files/2078092

Balladeer

I have my own weapon of mass destruction in the form of a "teenage" German Shepherd. Anything she spies and can get ahold of is fair game.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi Sharon

Just played your midi file through my casio and you are okay it sounds like a piano (and downloaded in like a flash too)

Hmmmm, I better get back to the towers quick and practise some more you are doing great and I hear improvement too...don't want you catching me up wink

Lee smile

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission