Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.5 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Virtual Sheet Music
Download Sheet Music Instantly
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Sheet Music...
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
(125ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Modern Piano Moving
Modern Piano Moving
(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2017
(ad)
Lindeblad Piano
Lindeblad Piano Restorations and sales
Who's Online Now
93 registered members (ando, 17curleyj, Almaviva, agraffe, Anita Potter, 28 invisible), 1,764 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1055008 - 01/10/05 01:34 PM New to forum: Greetings  
ThomasBecket Offline
ThomasBecket  Offline

Hello everyone:

I just wanted to say hi. I am 33 and a newbie to this forum, and have just returned to learning the piano. I was self taught back in high school and early college for a few years. I had to quit because engineering school was so demanding. Back then I played a Yamaha synthesizer (with ridiculously small keys, now that I look at it!). Now, almost 12 years later, I am back at it. I recently used my Christmas bonus to purchase a Yamaha DGX-293. I figured that I would be fine for now, and the next step would be to buy a digital piano, if I advance enough.

Right now, I am learning simple Bach pieces. I have a book called "First Lessons in Bach". It seems to be right at my level, since I already know music theory somewhat and can read music. I also am starting the Alfred Adult All-In-One course as well (level 1). That book seems a little boring right now, but I am going through it just to make sure I don't leave anything out. I didn't want to start with level 2 and be missing something.

I am interested to converse with people who are at or near the same level I am at, to see what other people are doing. I would say the biggest problem I have is what I call "brain stalls" - that is where I am practicing along and when the music changes to another section, it takes my brain a bit of time to switch gears and be ready to play it. I am thinking that it has to do with the way I learn the phrases - perhaps if I learned them along with a few notes from the surrounding phrases, I could play through them much smoother.

Anyway, happy to have found this forum

Thomas

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
#1055009 - 01/10/05 01:44 PM Re: New to forum: Greetings  
markb Offline
2000 Post Club Member
markb  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Maryland
Hi Thomas,
You might want to take some time and peruse this forum. There's a lot of good information and discussion and you can get a sense of where lots of us are in our "studies" or experience. I'm definitely on the lower end, being a piano restarter after not having played very much to begin with. I have some other music experience, though, so that definitely helps.

If you want to know who on this forum is credible and who is just way out there, let me know. wink Actually, it's a really good group and has been very helpful for us adult beginners. And the good news for you is, you're the second-youngest person who has admitted their age in the Respect Your Elders thread. Feel free to add your name to the list!

Welcome!

markb--The Count of Casio
#1055010 - 01/10/05 02:05 PM Re: New to forum: Greetings  
Cindysphinx Offline
Cindysphinx  Offline

Washington D.C. Metro
Welcome, welcome!

Come on in, the water's fine.

If there were water. If you know what I mean. It's a figure of speech. Oh, never mind. smile

#1055011 - 01/10/05 02:09 PM Re: New to forum: Greetings  
SAS Offline
500 Post Club Member
SAS  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Austin, TX
My husband gave me "First Lessons in Bach" for Christmas, it's just about right for me. And my piano teacher said it's a very good book, so it got her seal of approval. We also talked about what you're talking about, when the music changes, she has me work on pieces in sections and then put it all together. You can get a lot of good info on this forum, it's helped me a lot.

(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
#1055012 - 01/10/05 02:13 PM Re: New to forum: Greetings  
tk Offline
500 Post Club Member
tk  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Los Angeles County
Welcome ThomasBecket! Enjoy!

tk

#1055013 - 01/10/05 02:48 PM Re: New to forum: Greetings  
ossk8ter Offline
ossk8ter  Offline

Dallas
Welcome, I don't think there are any Henry IIs hanging around. Since you are a former student you are ahead of me. My teacher has started me off using Faber's "Adult Piano Adventures." My first lesson was last week, but I have been using Humphries "Piano Handbook" since about three weeks before my first lesson. I'm working on Bach's Minuet in G along with the assigned stuff from Faber. I've been working hard to think in terms of progressions as opposed to notes.

#1055014 - 01/10/05 02:52 PM Re: New to forum: Greetings  
markb Offline
2000 Post Club Member
markb  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Maryland
Wasn't Thomas Becket the Archbishop of Canterbury? I assume that's ossk8ter's Henry II reference.

BTW, I'm in Faber also. It seems like several of us around here are using that method.

#1055015 - 01/10/05 02:57 PM Re: New to forum: Greetings  
ThomasBecket Offline
ThomasBecket  Offline

Thanks for the quick replies! I guess I am not the only one bored at work today! That reminds me, I have a question that is work related. I work as an engineer/software programmer. I type all day long. Thinking back, before I could type, I remember playing with both hands was hard for me to do. Now, coming back to the piano, it doesn't seem as hard. Still hard, but not as hard. Do you think learning to type has helped me play better piano?

#1055016 - 01/10/05 03:00 PM Re: New to forum: Greetings  
markb Offline
2000 Post Club Member
markb  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Maryland
Maybe it helped you, but it hasn't helped me! wink

#1055017 - 01/10/05 03:04 PM Re: New to forum: Greetings  
ossk8ter Offline
ossk8ter  Offline

Dallas
Yes, Thomas Beckett was the Archbishop of Canterbury, who was murdered at the alter. The murder has been attributed to Henry.

Hey, I was at the office almost all weekend. Typing has not helped my piano playing since I don't type with fingers four and five (although I might start), so they are weak.

#1055018 - 01/10/05 03:12 PM Re: New to forum: Greetings  
markb Offline
2000 Post Club Member
markb  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Maryland
"Yes, Thomas Beckett was the Archbishop of Canterbury, who was murdered at the alter. The murder has been attributed to Henry."

Woo hoo! Score one for public education!

#1055019 - 01/10/05 03:15 PM Re: New to forum: Greetings  
ossk8ter Offline
ossk8ter  Offline

Dallas
thumb even though I was a private school brat.

#1055020 - 01/10/05 03:52 PM Re: New to forum: Greetings  
ThomasBecket Offline
ThomasBecket  Offline

Yes, I am the Archbishop.

So, at 33, would I look stupid if I went to piano lessons? I just feel kinda odd about it. Don't most teachers expect children as pupils?

#1055021 - 01/10/05 05:31 PM Re: New to forum: Greetings  
Vintagefingers Offline
Vintagefingers  Offline

SE
So, at 33, would I look stupid if I went to piano lessons? I just feel kinda odd about it. Don't most teachers expect children as pupils?

Welcome Your Excellency!

I know what you mean about feeling a bit silly but the first teacher I had also was teaching my wife who in turn signed me up. She had 4 adult students out of about 15. I really liked her a lot but felt she didn't challenge or critique me enough. I got another teacher about 6 months into lessons. The vast majority of his students, 75 private students if you can imagine, are young from 5 - 18. He has several adult students but I don't know how many. He really loves the diversity and individuality of each.

I would check with the teacher first and see if they accept adults. Most I expect would welcome adults as they are generally committed to learn. Interestingly enough my teacher and I spend at least 15 minutes after the lesson talking about music. I feel as though he is as much a friend as a teacher.

#1055022 - 01/10/05 05:42 PM Re: New to forum: Greetings  
Jerry Luke Offline
500 Post Club Member
Jerry Luke  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Tillamook, Oregon
Welcome, Thomas.

I'm 38, been learning for 10 months, self-taught (so far). I'm using the Alfred's Adult All-In-One Piano Course.

This forum is unbelievably helpful. (Now, the Coffee Room, well, that's another story...)

[Yeah, yeah, cut & paste is a beautiful thing.]

Support our troops!
#1055023 - 01/10/05 06:25 PM Re: New to forum: Greetings  
markb Offline
2000 Post Club Member
markb  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Maryland
Wow, serious deja vu! I feel like I've read Jerry's post four or five different times in different threads!

#1055024 - 01/10/05 06:47 PM Re: New to forum: Greetings  
crikkit Offline
crikkit  Offline

Spring, Texas
"So, at 33, would I look stupid if I went to piano lessons? I just feel kinda odd about it. Don't most teachers expect children as pupils?"

I just started lessons myself last week. I'm 31, and about 1/3 of my teacher's students are adults. The only two students I've met when I arrived for lessons were both older than me. I probably wouldn't feel comfortable taking lessons from someone who had never taughts adults. Just ask. Good luck!

#1055025 - 01/10/05 07:23 PM Re: New to forum: Greetings  
Hen3ry Offline
Hen3ry  Offline

Longmont, Colorado
Thomas,

I'm 46 - been taking lessons for 3 years - you get over the "looking stupid" pretty quick. Now, last week - I carried my digital piano into work so I could practice at work ...

Anyway, I'm an Engineer by trade as well (Electronics/Software, yaddy, ya ...) I still can't type ... I'm finally learning to play piano with two hands, does that mean I could learn to type?

I'm also working through "First Lessons in Bach". My teacher "ran" me through it some time ago - now I'm trying to learn to "play" it. We'll see.

Anyway, welcome!

Kevin

#1055026 - 01/10/05 08:04 PM Re: New to forum: Greetings  
Jerry Luke Offline
500 Post Club Member
Jerry Luke  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Tillamook, Oregon
Originally posted by markb:
Wow, serious deja vu! I feel like I've read Jerry's post four or five different times in different threads!
Yeah, yeah, cut & paste is a beautiful thing.

(It doesn't mean I don't care.) In fact, caring means never having to say you're sorry. f

Support our troops!
#1055027 - 01/10/05 08:13 PM Re: New to forum: Greetings  
sleepingcats Offline
500 Post Club Member
sleepingcats  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Oregon
ThomasBecket,

Welcome to the forum! There are a lot of us adult beginners out there taking lessons so don't feel stupid. We're actually more motivated to learn since no one is forcing us to learn, and the only one with high expectations is ourselves (in my case, anyway).

"Cats make purrfect friends"
#1055028 - 01/10/05 08:40 PM Re: New to forum: Greetings  
ThomasBecket Offline
ThomasBecket  Offline

Ok, so if I can get over feeling stupid for being an adult, I also mentioned I have a yamaha DGX-203 keyboard and not a digital piano. I was eyeing the digital pianos, but I thought it was too much of a risk if I back-slid and stopped practicing. So, will most piano teachers frown on that?

Also, do most instructors want you to go to instruction weekley? I already go to choir practice weekley, and that's a two hour deal, I just don't know if I have the time for weekly piano lessons.

#1055029 - 01/10/05 10:03 PM Re: New to forum: Greetings  
Jerry Luke Offline
500 Post Club Member
Jerry Luke  Offline
500 Post Club Member

Tillamook, Oregon
Originally posted by ThomasBecket:
Ok, so if I can get over feeling stupid for being an adult, I also mentioned I have a yamaha DGX-203 keyboard and not a digital piano.
I have a Yamaha EZ-30, 61-key (5 octave) keyboard. I turn the 'touch response' on, and the lighted keys off. It is PERFECT for cutting my teeth. Once I feel like I have progressed beyond it (don't know when that will be) I will consider a digital piano. (Got to get the kids out of the house first, in order to afford it.) smile

Support our troops!
#1055030 - 01/10/05 10:09 PM Re: New to forum: Greetings  
signa Offline
8000 Post Club Member
signa  Offline
8000 Post Club Member

Ohio, USA
welcome! 'First Lessons in Bach' is definitely a good start. as to your keyboard, it would cause you some trouble because it has keys without weight so that the key feel will be totally different. if you have to play on your teacher's piano, you can tell that immediately. if your keyboard does have a 'touch sensitive' button, then be sure to turn it on every time you practice which at least will make your transition from a keyboard to a piano easier. it is not impossible to start from a keyboard (just as i did), but as you progress you will definitely need a piano (acoustic/digital) later.

#1055031 - 01/11/05 07:28 AM Re: New to forum: Greetings  
crikkit Offline
crikkit  Offline

Spring, Texas
If you decide you've outgrown the keyboard later and still aren't ready to make the jump to buying a piano, you can consider renting an accoustic piano also.

Moderated by  BB Player, casinitaly 

UK Members
Please check in
UK Members & Friends
Checking on our members and friends from the UK. Please Check In When Able
Piano Acc. & Gift Items in
Piano World's Online Store
In PianoSupplies.com ,(a division of Piano World) our online store for piano and music gifts and accessories, party goods, tuning equipment, piano moving equipment, benches, lamps Caster Cups and more.

Free Shipping on Jansen Artist Piano Benches
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

(ad)
Pianoteq
Grotrian Concert
Royal
for Pianoteq out now
What's Hot!!
Why Do You Play The Piano?
-------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
-------------------
Piano Classified Ads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
where should I put this piano?
by PlunkyPlink. 05/24/17 10:21 PM
Painting the ironplate with an aerograph
by Davemaster84. 05/24/17 08:38 PM
Greatest measure of music?
by JoelW. 05/24/17 08:22 PM
Writing a piano care and maintenence guide [help]
by Imaginaryfriend. 05/24/17 02:57 PM
(ad)
Sheet Music Plus
Sheet Music Plus Featured Sale
Forum Statistics
Forums44
Topics179,864
Posts2,629,495
Members87,864
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Report Problems With New Forums
Report Problems with New Forums Here!
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2017 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission