2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 8 invisible), 1,781 guests, and 319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1055008 01/10/05 01:34 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Hello everyone:

I just wanted to say hi. I am 33 and a newbie to this forum, and have just returned to learning the piano. I was self taught back in high school and early college for a few years. I had to quit because engineering school was so demanding. Back then I played a Yamaha synthesizer (with ridiculously small keys, now that I look at it!). Now, almost 12 years later, I am back at it. I recently used my Christmas bonus to purchase a Yamaha DGX-293. I figured that I would be fine for now, and the next step would be to buy a digital piano, if I advance enough.

Right now, I am learning simple Bach pieces. I have a book called "First Lessons in Bach". It seems to be right at my level, since I already know music theory somewhat and can read music. I also am starting the Alfred Adult All-In-One course as well (level 1). That book seems a little boring right now, but I am going through it just to make sure I don't leave anything out. I didn't want to start with level 2 and be missing something.

I am interested to converse with people who are at or near the same level I am at, to see what other people are doing. I would say the biggest problem I have is what I call "brain stalls" - that is where I am practicing along and when the music changes to another section, it takes my brain a bit of time to switch gears and be ready to play it. I am thinking that it has to do with the way I learn the phrases - perhaps if I learned them along with a few notes from the surrounding phrases, I could play through them much smoother.

Anyway, happy to have found this forum

Thomas

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hi Thomas,
You might want to take some time and peruse this forum. There's a lot of good information and discussion and you can get a sense of where lots of us are in our "studies" or experience. I'm definitely on the lower end, being a piano restarter after not having played very much to begin with. I have some other music experience, though, so that definitely helps.

If you want to know who on this forum is credible and who is just way out there, let me know. wink Actually, it's a really good group and has been very helpful for us adult beginners. And the good news for you is, you're the second-youngest person who has admitted their age in the Respect Your Elders thread. Feel free to add your name to the list!

Welcome!

markb--The Count of Casio
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Welcome, welcome!

Come on in, the water's fine.

If there were water. If you know what I mean. It's a figure of speech. Oh, never mind. smile

SAS Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
My husband gave me "First Lessons in Bach" for Christmas, it's just about right for me. And my piano teacher said it's a very good book, so it got her seal of approval. We also talked about what you're talking about, when the music changes, she has me work on pieces in sections and then put it all together. You can get a lot of good info on this forum, it's helped me a lot.

tk Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Welcome ThomasBecket! Enjoy!

tk

Welcome, I don't think there are any Henry IIs hanging around. Since you are a former student you are ahead of me. My teacher has started me off using Faber's "Adult Piano Adventures." My first lesson was last week, but I have been using Humphries "Piano Handbook" since about three weeks before my first lesson. I'm working on Bach's Minuet in G along with the assigned stuff from Faber. I've been working hard to think in terms of progressions as opposed to notes.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Wasn't Thomas Becket the Archbishop of Canterbury? I assume that's ossk8ter's Henry II reference.

BTW, I'm in Faber also. It seems like several of us around here are using that method.

T
OP Offline
T
Thanks for the quick replies! I guess I am not the only one bored at work today! That reminds me, I have a question that is work related. I work as an engineer/software programmer. I type all day long. Thinking back, before I could type, I remember playing with both hands was hard for me to do. Now, coming back to the piano, it doesn't seem as hard. Still hard, but not as hard. Do you think learning to type has helped me play better piano?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Maybe it helped you, but it hasn't helped me! wink

Yes, Thomas Beckett was the Archbishop of Canterbury, who was murdered at the alter. The murder has been attributed to Henry.

Hey, I was at the office almost all weekend. Typing has not helped my piano playing since I don't type with fingers four and five (although I might start), so they are weak.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
"Yes, Thomas Beckett was the Archbishop of Canterbury, who was murdered at the alter. The murder has been attributed to Henry."

Woo hoo! Score one for public education!

thumb even though I was a private school brat.

T
OP Offline
T
Yes, I am the Archbishop.

So, at 33, would I look stupid if I went to piano lessons? I just feel kinda odd about it. Don't most teachers expect children as pupils?

V
V
So, at 33, would I look stupid if I went to piano lessons? I just feel kinda odd about it. Don't most teachers expect children as pupils?

Welcome Your Excellency!

I know what you mean about feeling a bit silly but the first teacher I had also was teaching my wife who in turn signed me up. She had 4 adult students out of about 15. I really liked her a lot but felt she didn't challenge or critique me enough. I got another teacher about 6 months into lessons. The vast majority of his students, 75 private students if you can imagine, are young from 5 - 18. He has several adult students but I don't know how many. He really loves the diversity and individuality of each.

I would check with the teacher first and see if they accept adults. Most I expect would welcome adults as they are generally committed to learn. Interestingly enough my teacher and I spend at least 15 minutes after the lesson talking about music. I feel as though he is as much a friend as a teacher.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Welcome, Thomas.

I'm 38, been learning for 10 months, self-taught (so far). I'm using the Alfred's Adult All-In-One Piano Course.

This forum is unbelievably helpful. (Now, the Coffee Room, well, that's another story...)

[Yeah, yeah, cut & paste is a beautiful thing.]

Support our troops!
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Wow, serious deja vu! I feel like I've read Jerry's post four or five different times in different threads!

C
C
"So, at 33, would I look stupid if I went to piano lessons? I just feel kinda odd about it. Don't most teachers expect children as pupils?"

I just started lessons myself last week. I'm 31, and about 1/3 of my teacher's students are adults. The only two students I've met when I arrived for lessons were both older than me. I probably wouldn't feel comfortable taking lessons from someone who had never taughts adults. Just ask. Good luck!

H
H
Thomas,

I'm 46 - been taking lessons for 3 years - you get over the "looking stupid" pretty quick. Now, last week - I carried my digital piano into work so I could practice at work ...

Anyway, I'm an Engineer by trade as well (Electronics/Software, yaddy, ya ...) I still can't type ... I'm finally learning to play piano with two hands, does that mean I could learn to type?

I'm also working through "First Lessons in Bach". My teacher "ran" me through it some time ago - now I'm trying to learn to "play" it. We'll see.

Anyway, welcome!

Kevin

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by markb:
Wow, serious deja vu! I feel like I've read Jerry's post four or five different times in different threads!
Yeah, yeah, cut & paste is a beautiful thing.

(It doesn't mean I don't care.) In fact, caring means never having to say you're sorry. f

Support our troops!
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
ThomasBecket,

Welcome to the forum! There are a lot of us adult beginners out there taking lessons so don't feel stupid. We're actually more motivated to learn since no one is forcing us to learn, and the only one with high expectations is ourselves (in my case, anyway).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission