2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (AlkansBookcase, 36251, benkeys, Charles Cohen, 20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 9 invisible), 1,922 guests, and 266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
My friend Lisztener,

I know you're going to enjoy the Walker Liszt biographies. As Sophia said, he does an amazing job of being factual without being boring. Part of the credit surely must go to the nature of the material. Liszt led such an interesting life that it almost reads like a novel.

There are three aspects of his life that almost strain credibility. He maintained an extremely heavy correspondence throughout his life which is the source of much information in the biography (both the letters he authored and those written to him) and the amount of traveling he did under the conditions of the day - Walker goes through the itinerary of his tours fairly exhaustively and it is simply staggering in terms of both the number of performances and the distances traveled on the roads and rails of the 19th century - and his vast output and range as a composer.

It's hard to imagine three people accomplishing so much, let alone one.

Greg
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
If you can get it, this...

http://www.amazon.com/Portrait-Liszt-Himself-His-Contemporaries/dp/0198161506

...is a wonderful book; I had one, but it slipped through my fingers - a neccessity at the time...

Review...

http://www.jstor.org/pss/941635

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
LaValse,

Portrait of Liszt, by Himself and His Contemporaries by Adrian Williams

I read the other link in your post containing the review. This appears to be a quite extensive work, but since I have a full plate with current orders pending delivery, I just want to send my gratitude your way for the suggested read. Also, I can't find anyone who has this title in stock.

Once again, thank you for the recommendation. Perhaps someone will post a link to a seller with this tome in stock. Sorry to hear you no longer possess it.

Regards,

Lisztener

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi Lisztener,

I've been looking for a copy for years. if anybody finds some, please post here...! I have constant pre-orders on Amazon for it - one did come up about a year ago, but they wanted (really) silly money for it. Even bookfinder.com comes up blank...

nb: cheapest i've ever found is $100 but it was as tatty as heck and I passed - perhaps should not of. typical price is $300-$500 so if you see one < $100, buy it quick - and sell it on amazon if you don't want it...!

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
To all Liszt devotees,

In a previous post to Sophia and Greg, I mentioned that they are the Liszt experts, IMO.
Given my admitted impulsiveness, I chose them because they are and have been quite generous in disseminating valuable information about Liszt since the inception of this thread, and they are both forum friends to me.

I wish it known to all Liszt devotees making up this wonderfully informative thread that in no way do I diminish your valuable contributions that combine to make the thread a favored depository for valuable content leading to a deep and accurate understanding of Franz Liszt.
If my praise of Sophia and Greg has caused the least bit of offense to anyone posting here, please accept my humble apology.

I just began reading the first volume of the Walker set, when the thought struck me that I should make amends to those unmentioned in my previous post. Perhaps I'm placing too much emphasis on others even caring about my nagging concerns, but I wish to take no chance that anyone feels slighted because of my previous post.

On a more pleasant note, I'm pleased to announce that because of being a "prime" member at Amazon.com, all the biographies I ordered have been delivered. The Alan Walker three-volume set that I didn't order until 1:30 AM Thursday, May 22, was delivered early this afternoon, Friday, May 23, rather than the Amazon scheduled May 27 delivery date. This is excellent service from Amazon.

Sincerely,

Lisztener

L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
Much to my disbelief, I discovered that I have volume 1 of the Walker biography. I ordered it last year from Amazon, put it on the book shelf and then completely forgot about it. Old age certainly takes its toll on memory.

No, I don't believe there is any decisive biography of Chopin although many have written about him. I find them all lacking in one way or another. Walker did put together a very nice compliation about Chopin, as seen by musicolgists. Each chapter is written by an "expert" in some field.

I still think Chopin letters and the book: "Chopin: Pianist and Teacher...as seen by his pupils," are the best to date.

His book of letters (while not totally complete) does more to give us a real sense of who he was, than any biographer could possibly do.

And the other book contains primary sources of information about him in almost every aspect.

Kathleen

Chopin’s music is all I need to look into my soul.
L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
What has happened to YD? He started this thread. We would love to hear from him, especially now that it is taking off.

Kathleen

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Hi all,

I have been working all day trying to figure a way to make a slide show video to post to YouTube. I'm delighted to say that my efforts payed off and here is a link to my performance of List's Consolation No. 3 as background piano to some recent photos taken in Chicago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEEKmt_u9zI

I'm really excited to now know how to make and upload a video to YouTube. yippie

Of the few pieces I have recorded, this is probably my favorite...even with the mistakes. I'm proud that it is a Liszt piece I uploaded.

I hope you enjoy watching and listening.

Best regards,

Lisztener

To the question: Do you know of a biographer of similar caliber for Chopin?

I recently finished listening, a couple of times, to the Chopin CD bio by Jeremy Siepmann. In his book which comes with the CD set he gives reviews of the biographies of Chopin. From his writing I suggest the Jeremy Siepman book "Chopin: The Reluctant Romantic". I just finished a similiar book by Siepman on Beethoven. The second bio recommended is by Jim Samson "Chopin" in the long-running Master Musicians series by Oxford Press. This is a book for well educated musicians because of the enormous scholarship and musicial analysis. The third book is by Jean-Jacques Eigeldinger: "Chopin: Pianist and Teacher - as seen by his pupils" Cambridge Univ Press 1986

Master of Music, School Teacher, Church Musician- See "Our Adventure to a New grand" thread... http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/18212.html
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
re: Portrait of Liszt: By Himself and His Contemporaries.

If anybody is interested - two are showing as available via bookfinder.com. I've bought the UK one - the remaining one is in Aus - US$200. On Abe...

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=1039224941

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Listzener,
Lovely job on the Consolation! your playing is very soulful and beautiful.
You are very generous with your praise-- I don't consider myself any kind of expert, just someone who loves learning about my favorite composers (and Liszt is certainly among them). I learn so much from you and everyone on this forum .

Best wishes,

Sophia

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Sophia,

Thank you kindly for your comments on my slide show and play. Because of my high esteem for you based upon your general intellect, your specific knowledge of Liszt with your courage to defend his honor as well as recognize his shortcomings, and your kind nature, your praise is particularly welcome to me.

I notice that you do not accept PMs. Do you ever send them with a way for the recipient to respond to you? I have a request of you concerning Liszt that I feel is too sensitive, from a strictly musical perspective, to ask here in the forum. If you never cross the line that you have established, please excuse my request that you send me a PM and know that I fully understand and appreciate your desire for privacy. My hope is that you do PM some members and that I may be included in that group.

My sincere regards,

Lisztener

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Hi Lisztener,

I sent you a PM.

Sophia

L
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
L
Lisztner: I posted my comments on youtube for all the world to read. But just to say it here...I was misty-eyed. Your playing touched me greatly. Chopin's etude Op. 25, #1 is quite similiar, and I wonder who wrote theirs first. Not that it really matters. Both are beyond my ability. I never will have the discipline that the left hand requires. Thank you for posting it. (And my hometown is Chicago, so it was a double treat.)

Jordang: Thank you for your highly informative list of possible Chopin biographies. I believe Siepman also did a tape on Beethoven. Now, I will have to hunt Amazon to see if I can find the one on Chopin.

Kathleen

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Dear Sophia,

Thank you for the PM and the requested information concerning Franz Liszt's "Pensees des Morts." I will place an order for a CD containing "Harmonies Poetiques et Religieuses" to get the full listening pleasure of the Pensees des Morts.

It was a distinct pleasure to hear from you.

Warm regards,

Lisztener

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Kathleen,

Thank you for your kind comments both here in the Liszt Devotee thread and on YouTube.

Chicago, especially Grant Park, was an unexpected delight. The weather was just warm enough that by wearing a sweater and jacket and by staying on the move we were able to walk the entire park in four hours. Beautiful city!

Regards,

Lisztener

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Dear Lisztener,
You are most welcome. I hope you thoroughly enjoy the CD-- it has some of Liszt' most beautiful and spiritual music. Horowitz loved the "Benediction de Dieu dans la Solitude" very much.

Sophia

L
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
L
Sophia,

I went to quite a few sites that have free downloadable .mp3s of classical performances without luck. I then "Googled" for a freebie of "Pensees des morts" without success, so, I placed an order with Amazon for two CDs by Philip Thomson of "Liszt's Complete Piano Music" Volumes No. 3 and No. 4. Volume No. 3 has all six "Harmonies Poetiques et Religieuses" that contain "Pensees des morts" and the piece Horowitz loved so much.

Thank you very much for leading me to these works. From the snippets available, I'm eager to hear all six pieces.

I have the score for Pensees. It looks quite difficult. If the tempo is slow enough, I may try to learn it. We'll see.

Best wishes,

Lisztener

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I am glad you will have the CD, Lisztener. There are parts of the Pensees that are very very difficult and others that appear to be quite a bit easier-- lyrical and very beautiful nonetheless. Please let me know how it goes.

Sophia

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hello--

I'd like to ask a couple of rather uninformed questions:

How is the name of Liszt's birthplace, Raiding, pronounced? I don't know if it should be German or otherwise. It is not typical of a Hungarian word as far as I know, which is not very far.

And who came up with the generic title "Consolation" originally, Liszt or Mendelssohn? Or someone else less familiar?

Thanks,

Elene

Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission