2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
23 members (HZPiano, admodios, johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., Joseph Fleetwood, 7 invisible), 1,274 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Hunky:

A first step would to get your circadian rhythm adjusted. The circadian rhythm is basically your sleep cycle. It can be disrupted by many sources such as a traumatic incident, serious illness etc.

To correct the rhythm, you need to sit in front of a full spectrum light for about 45 minutes in the morning for 10 - 14 days and then periodically as needed. The retina is the key receptor. You do not need to look directly into the light as the retina picks up the reflected and indirect light rays. Some tests were done on other parts of the body and next to the retina, the back of the knees was the only other area that picked up around 40% of the rays.

I was in the submarine service where we were full spectrum light deprived for a few months at a time . I suffered from insomnia for many years before meeting a doctor (Ophthalmologist) that did research in this area and he suggested trying the full light spectrum therapy. The lights are available online with good research to back up the process.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by joangolfing:

Acupuncture is highly effective for "all" inflammatory ailments. Find the Chinese medical variety and not the chiropractic approach to acupuncture.

Just to add validity to this, my mother uses this process for shoulder relieve with success. My uncle talked her into it after he got tired of trying everything the doctors wanted to treat a twichy eye. Acupuncture relived it for the longest period.

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta area
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Super_Hunky,

Any improvements yet?

What are you trying from all these ideas shared?

I have been waking up at exactly the same time on the clock 8:30AM for days now, despite my bedtime which on Tues was after 1:AM and on Wed was 2:AM. Don't ask me why the late nights, I'm not really choosing them, I'm just "up" later.

Have you tried voicing/writing down your intentions of your bed time hour and wake up time? And, the fact that you WILL fall asleep quickly and WILL stay asleep.

Do you know how to "lull" yourself to sleep? Put your "acting" talent to work and "act" the part of someone who is tired and on their way to a good night's sleep, for instance. Pull down the shades, put out the cat, yawn some, stretch. I can remember having to wind up the alarm clock on the way to bed every night - perhaps you need some "rituals" that tell you it's bedtime.

I bet you could do a great job of the last suggestion!

Betty

G
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
G
I'm not convinced that this disease is
debilitating. This has been around since
the dawn of time and people have been
bitten by ticks in the woods forever,
but this never became an issue until
recently when magazines started running
articles on it and then people suddenly
started coming down with it. The
fact that it didn't affect you for 30
yrs. shows that the bacteria are
relatively harmless, even though they
have burrowed into your tissues; they
simply remain there forever, with no
problem, unless the individual reads
articles on it and then thinks he's done for.

This "late stage" Lyme disease that's
described in the medical literature
conveniently starts to manifest itself
when the person is older and naturally
starts to have mild stiffness in the
joints, and so forth: the bacteria, harmless
all this time, are then hypothesized to
be suddenly "attacking" your joints.
And thus the person can think he's
seriously ill when there's really no problem.

As for the insomnia, this is apparently
not serious, because if you're lying in
bed wide awake until you finally
fall asleep in the morning, you're still
technically resting in bed, so that's almost
like a lesser form of sleep.

S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Originally posted by Gyro:
[...] The

Dang, it sounds almost like untreated syphilis.

I wonder if late-stage syphilis and resulting insanity are more prevalent (and more proximate) than we might otherwise suppose, and whether, when the disease attacks the brain, the person imagines there's no problem when he's really seriously ill.

Steven

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G

Have you thought about becoming a Scientologist? I've heard they cure everything with vitamins.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member

[Linked Image]

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
4000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
4000 Post Club Member

debilitating.

Gyro, did you watch this clip?. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxWgS0XLVqw

Did you read the part about my wheelchair?, Did you read the fact that I went on chemo for six months which cost $1,200 per bottle?. Did you read the part that I was a competitive athlete 10 years ago but now I'm so sore on a constant basis that I have difficulties moving? How could you possibly make such a claim?

This has been around since
started coming down with it.

Lyme disease is the most misdiagnosed disease in the world. Many people who have contracted it have been diagnosed with altzheimers, lupus, fibromyalgia, bells palsy multiple sclerosis, parkinsons on and on. The "issue" has always existed but often mislabeled.

The fact that it didn't affect you for 30
relatively harmless

No, just the opposite. A young child has the strongest immune system of all. In addition, the bacteria are very slow growing and it may take many many years (for some, not all) people to start feeling the effects. Now that I am in my early 40's, my immune system is not as strong as it once was and the bacteria has had many many years to manifest itself. This is why I am having such a problem with it now.

I actually went to an orthopedic surgeon 10 years ago complaining about my sore joints. He just said I was over training and to ice my joints after a workout. He had no idea of the underlying issues.

, Even though they

Gyro, are you insane? seriously. I am trying my absolute best to behave and not turn this thread sour but you obviously want to push some buttons here. How can you possibly say that I or anyone else have had "no problems" from the disease? Do you have any idea of how many peoples lives have been ruined do to this illness?. Do you honestly not know hoe irresponsible that statement is?.

It ended my athletic career, I must use a wheelchair as opposed to stand for hours due to the severe pain in my hips on occasion, My speech has been affected, my large joints are very sore all the time, I can't sleep and I could go on and on. BTW, do you get your mail delivered *under the bridge*?.

Did you know the military uses sleep deprivation as a form of humane torture of sorts?. Not being able to sleep can have serious effects on just about anything. While being tired is nothing compared to having constant joint pain, it takes a toll on your mental health in addition to your physical well being over time.

Gyro, your comments represent someone who has about as much common sense as a tick!. I'm really disappointed in your response and trust me when I say I am forcing myself right now to be nice!.

You have not made a single claim that is not absolutely ridiculous, even at one point to say that individuals should go out and get bitten by infected ticks to build up a resistance to them ...(which is medically impossible).

That is literally like saying to go out and contract HIV, or Malaria or some other infectious disease that the medical community has no known cure for in hopes of "building up a resistance" to it.

You know, for my own sanity at this point, I'm not going to discuss this anymore. Bringing up a medical issue on a piano forum was a bad thing to do for the reasons observed.

I will take 100% the blame for posting up a topic not associated with this forum and should have known better as what to expect from some of the responses.

I want to thank everyone else who have given me some great suggestions and tips on things that have worked for them. Your suggestions and thoughts are all very much appreciated.

Thank you.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hunky,
Sleep deprivation is a terrible and painful thing. (it is also used by cults to brainwash people). I think people who don't have to deal with it realy don't understand its effects. From not being able to think straight to all over aches and pains. It is upsetting when we encounter people who lack understanding, compassion and tact. However, we have to do our best, for our own well being, not to let these people get to us too much.
I'm sorry you had a bad experience with this post. I will hope for the best in your recovery or at least getting control over your symptons. And I will always wish the best for you. Even though this is a piano forum, i feel we form a certain bond or an openess here and I understand why you would reach out to PW. If you ever feel you need to talk about something or just want to vent please feel free to send me a private message. Sometimes you just feel better getting things off your chest.
Best

“The doubters said, "Man cannot fly," The doers said, "Maybe, but we'll try,"
And finally soared in the morning glow while non-believers watched from below.”
― Bruce Lee
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Lots of concern goes to you Super_Hunky because we like you and want your happiness and well being - we are your friends and we share the interest of music making with you. You have added to our humor and good spirits many times and it's your turn to know there is tremendous good will toward you and your wife.

Unfortunately, Gyro has done it again, this time really obnoxiously and unforgivable in my viewpoint. Gyro rains on parades, I think.

Kymber said to you: "I'm sorry you had a bad experience with this post."

I can only add, "...some people are bad experiences waiting to happen, and consider the source."

When you share your health challenges with us, we can relate with sincere empathy and concern for you and for the others on PWF who are coping with illnesses and pain or grief.

SH, you'll never walk alone!

Betty

S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Hunky,

I am so very glad you shared, for the reasons Kymber and Betty already offered.

Even though Gyro can always be counted upon to be consistently, aggressively and absurdly contrarian, there's no way of predicting in which threads he will choose to appear. He can't limit himself to areas in which he has something to contribute (like prices and features of digital pianos), and instead weighs in regularly as a self-styled expert on everything from linguistics and pedagogy to medicine!

It is outrageous to deny that a medical condition has medical basis, and outrageously hurtful to minimize and belittle its impact on anyone suffering from it. FWIW, I, too, have a chronic condition of the sort that can go dormant for decades but is manageable owing to the miracles of modern medicine (yes, Western medicine shocked ). But if undetected and untreated until it manifests itself—as Gyro would apparently advocate—it can be lethal.

It takes a certain courage and leap of faith to make personal disclosures in a public forum; my own revelation of chronic depression was treated with unexpected skepticism and even ignorance by more than poster here last summer. Nevertheless, you should have every expectation of sympathy and support from what is, after all, a caring community. I applaud your candor, and I couldn't be more sympathetic and supportive about what you're dealing with.

Steven

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
"chronic depression"

Steven,
Another illness people can't comprehend unless they experience it. I wish you well also. I know how difficult chronic depression can be to deal with just from seeing friends lives basically fall apart in front of my eyes. What is so difficult for me is that I understand to small extent how they feel (I get occassional 'bouts of mild depression-I think it runs in my family) there's isnt alot I can do to help them, except to be a sympathetic ear.

“The doubters said, "Man cannot fly," The doers said, "Maybe, but we'll try,"
And finally soared in the morning glow while non-believers watched from below.”
― Bruce Lee
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally posted by mr_super-hunky:
Gyro, are you insane? seriously.
Gyro is an example of everything that can go wrong in forums. His totally insulting response to your very real problems is perhaps the most serious example of that.

PLEASE give him the attention he deserves. None.

Wow, I can't begin to imagine the level of insensitivity that Gyro must feel. That is hitting below the belt. I just don't know what to say except wow, wow, wow...

Gyro, you do realize that at some point in this lifetime you will face what you have given and I don't think I would want to be in your shoes!

Hunky,

Like I said above...

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Super-hunky: Classy response to an insensitive post. thumb

We got your back. 2hearts

Super-hunky, don't give those posts any further thought. That kind of warped attitude is a way bigger problem for him than anyone else. We're all behind you completely.

Carol

Steinway D, No. 528716 (formerly CD-888)
Blüthner 4, No. 150915
Estonia L190, No. 6552
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Everybody is spot on. Ignore Gyro. As Gary D. pointed out, he deserves no attention. thumb smile

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
S
S
Reading the interesting - but really sad - discussion on Lyme disease, I raise the question whether anyone has ever experienced whilst going to sleep what is known as 'hypnogogic non-psychotic musical hallucinations'?

After an accident overseas, fortunately now well in the past, I was precribed whilst rehabilitating a common anti-depressant medication. It was established that this was the cause of hearing distinct music when going to sleep. Once the medication was withdrawn it stopped - never to re-occur.

Recently there has been quite a lot written in professional journals about so-called 'musical hallucinations' of this non-psychotic type that affect sleep. (See e.g. "The Psychopathology of Musical Hallucinations" R. Mahendran, Singapore Med. Jornal, 2007, Vol. 48, No. 2. pp. 68 - 70 - passim). I will happily send a copy for anyone's personal interest and/or study.

Let me say it was really scary at the tie. The 'music' heard all was strongly tonic (no pun intended) based, and loosely late romantic in style, richly orchestrated. It apparently affects different persons differently.

Sleep is precious for everyone - and when I am tired my musical ability suffers markedly - hence my feeling deeply for those afflicted with **any** type of insomnia.

But given the thread and "Pianoworld" generally, I would be really interested if anyone elsehas had hynogogic, i.e. 'going to sleep' musical hallucinations as I have described?

And if so - whether in the case of those whose living is based on piano teaching/performing, such music was perhaps piano based?

All the best from an unusually warm Victorian spring!

ILH

"Oh for a world with no 'muzak' in stores ...."
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Hi S-H:

When I was sick, I went to a lot of doctors who would pooh-pooh my symptoms (inability to digest food and extreme loss of weight, fatigue, etc.). I found that when doctors, and people in general, are ignorant, they tend to say "it's all in your head", rather than admit that they don't know what the problem is or what to do about it. It turned out that in addition to the Giardia, (and most likely caused by the Giardia/chronic inflammation), I had a tumor the "size of a football" in my abdominal cavity that needed extensive surgery. It had taken over a year and a dozen doctors previously to get anyone to take my symptoms seriously. They all said it was "stress" and tried to put me on some lousy psychotropic medication. I've heard of so many people going through the same thing, so we're not alone. You can probably even see your swollen inflamed joints, in addition to feeling them. A lot of scientists these days think that chronic infection of bacteria, as with Lyme, or other organism is the cause of most disease these days, including heart disease (probably made worse by today's common high sugar/grain diet). Sad that some people have no compassion (or education) about all this, isn't it? Wishing you all the best. smile

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2001/07/25/lyme-disease-part-two.aspx

www.csprosystems.com

Originally posted by Elssa:
A lot of scientists these days think that chronic infection of bacteria, as with Lyme, or other organism is the cause of most disease these days, including heart disease (probably made worse by today's common high sugar/grain diet).
Interesting, do tell us more.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission