2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
OP Offline
L
I did it! I played for church Sunday evening, the second time in my whole life! A nice little arrangement of Silent Night, a few notches down from where I'm at, but nice nonetheless... Then I hear from someone that was watching my face and wanted to know was my experience as "painful" as I made it look? Ummm, yes, it was. Extremely so! Aaarrgh! Now I have to mind my facial expressions while juggling sweaty hands, nausea, a racing heartbeat and memory meltdown?? Please say it ain't so...Liz

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I get alot of feedback about how I look when I play... either I move too much, or laugh, or have my mouth open... some people think they are supposed to comment I guess, because they do.... and of course they don't play (or sing probably).

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
My response would be, "well, let's set you at a piano in front of xx # of people and see what YOUR face looks like". laugh

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Congrats Liz! It's too bad nobody commented on the music, instead of your face. :rolleyes: What are you planning to play next time?
Jon

"In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Albert Einstein
Charles Walter W190 Ebony
L
OP Offline
L
Apple, I guess feedback means they listened, anyway! I'm a long way from laughing up there - what causes you to laugh, do you think? I'm too busy trying not to throw up. I just never watched someone's face while they're playing. But I did after that, and noticed several people play with their face very passive and unresponsive. No frantic leaning towards the music or swiping at sweat..Liz

L
OP Offline
L
Thanks on the congrats, Jon. You mean I have to get up there again??? Seriously, I did receive a few nice compliments on the piece, mostly from other sympathetic piano students, old and young! My teacher asked me the next lesson what did I play - I told her I thought I might have played, "Smoke on the Water", but I'd have to ask around to be sure! Liz

Congratutlations! playing in front of people is scarey. I bet the piece was beautiful, and you gave the gift of music to the congregation. Hope the next time is less stressful.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally posted by Lizzy1234:
I'm too busy trying not to throw up.
Lizzy, did you ever consider maybe taking up another hobby, like needlepoint or something? wink

markb--The Count of Casio
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
My first experience playing in front of people was in a church as well. It was a lent service or something. My teacher was the director of music ministry there, and gave me the opportunity.. I played Chopin's Prelude in Eminor. My nerves were a mess. Firstly, I am not religious, church is very much not a place you'd ever find me, but an opportunity is an opportunity, but I was "uncomfortable" around the whole worship/service thing. Just not my bag. So everything felt so "formal" and I was sitting in the front row with my teacher during the service, to be close to the piano.. I seriously almost passed out just sitting there. It came time, my teacher nodded to me to go to the piano.. I had been warming up before the service, and my book of Chopin music was on the stand, opened up, but not opened up to the right piece.. (I had it memorized, but this was first performance jitters) -so I'm sitting there, looking at this sheet music, thinking "this just doesn't look right, what is going on?!" I completely forgot how to start the piece, couldn't figure out why this material in front of me looked so foreign (was too wrecked to look at the title.) But anyway - so I closed my eyes, and took a deep breath. Used a relaxation technique I learned in my study of martial arts, and suddenly the first note was as clear as the day in my mind.. I played the piece, actually one of the more beautiful renditions of it for me at the time, with my eyes closed the whole time.. It just flowed. From that point on, I have not felt nervous playing in front of anybody (granted, I'm no pro doing big recitals or anything)

-Paul

"You look hopefully for an idea and then you're humble when you find it and you wish your skills were better. To have even a half-baked touch of creativity is an honor."
-- Ernie Stires, composer

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission