2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
27 members (clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., David B, Fried Chicken, AlkansBookcase, 8 invisible), 1,163 guests, and 298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
80k Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi,

Any advice on how to play perfect chords, such that all notes are played at the exact same time? This seems to be a problem that is very difficult for me to overcome. This is the case, even when playing just two notes. I can practice the same chord over and over to perfection, but when I am going through a passage, imperfect chords pop up frequently. Is this just a matter of patience, or is there some kind of exercise you can recommend for this?

Thanks!

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
maybe you need to practice the chords with the passage (or at least a few notes before and after the chords). it takes practice, and i too don't always strike a chord with all my fingers down at the exact time. the problem is mainly that not all fingers have the same strength when they strike a chord. also, keeping all fingers in contact with the keys (or at least the same distance between fingers and keys) before pressing down the keys will help the timing.

I'm no expert but you might playing from the elbow, rather than the fingers. By this, I mean, think of your fingers as being frozen in place and apply the force through the elbow as though it was a lever.

"Some people's idea of free speech is that they are free to say what they like but if anyone says anything back, that is an outrage."

-- Winston Churchill
80k Offline OP
OP Offline
thank you for the responses. i will try those methods. i think overall, i just need to stick with it... was just wondering if others have had a lot of problems with it and have some testimony of how they overcame it smile

My teacher has me run through a spectrum of major chord inversions, with pedal, trying to get them legato. She stresses tone - playing them with a bounce (that's the best way I can describe it). Simple exercise, but effective.

I played it better at home.
B
B
I have the same (occasional) problem with playing "perfect" chords" - not all notes sound at the same time. It sometimes happens even when I am playing 2 notes at once.

It happened much more often 6 months ago, so I'm assuming that, with practice, this problem will disappear. Keep at it.

Bob

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission